ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old October 13th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #1
TGRIFF
ninjette.org member

Name: Tyson

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

GPX Pro

Any racers wire their GPX pro into their 250 to track some of the other features it offers? How did you do it? Any tips?
TGRIFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I'm not a racer but I ride on track exclusively. I like to see my lap times so I got a GPX pro for my r6. I ended up getting rid of my stock dash board as I hooked up GPX to my bike and can monitor

Accurate speed via GPS,
RPM's,
Gear,
Water temperature,
Fuel Indicator,
Throttle Position (when and where I open/close throttle)
Brake Position (for now it's on or off but I'll add pressure sensor to show % for this one also)

Soooo, everything the dash shows + a hell lot more.

You gotta know that I'm an absolute noob as far as wiring goes. All I can do is cut wires and strip them together. What I did was go to XT Racing forums and asked for schematics. There's a few XT Racing employees there who monitor and post on the forums and one of them gave me a complete schematic showing which wire on the bike should be connected to which data cable on the GPX.

I suggest you go there and post your bike year/model and ask for the same thing.

Sorry all that type and not helping you directly but just wanted to say it's worth the effort and XT people can definitely help you! I got a response from them instantly.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #3
TGRIFF
ninjette.org member

Name: Tyson

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Thanks for the response. I will head over there and see what I can find. I will let you know how it goes.
TGRIFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #4
chugs
Schönen Tag noch

Name: c

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250 race bike, 02 gixxer 600 telefonica

Just picked up a gpx pro for the ninja any updates to this thread?
chugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2014, 06:36 AM   #5
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Pics of install?
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I think @iZapp has one that he mounts on his son's 250.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #7
iZapp
former ninja 250'er

Name: Geo

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia 1000R, CRF450, CBR600RR tracktoy, Ninja 250 -- GONE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I think @iZapp has one that he mounts on his son's 250.
hiya buddy! yah we've got one on his bike, and the install is nothing more than a big piece of velcro right on the stock speedo cluster. RPM taps into the crank sensor, and for TPS i had to make a little bracket to hold the string-pot sensor that connects to the throttle lever. i can upload a photo if interested. - funny story... i had csmith convinced it was actually a remotely controlled throttle servo i could use when the kid wasnt going fast enough!!
iZapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hahahahahahahaha, yep! I remember that too.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #9
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1198s, Triumph D675, Suzuki SV1000s, `08 Ninja 250, `11 Ninja 250, Suzuki GS750

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZapp View Post
hiya buddy! yah we've got one on his bike, and the install is nothing more than a big piece of velcro right on the stock speedo cluster. RPM taps into the crank sensor, and for TPS i had to make a little bracket to hold the string-pot sensor that connects to the throttle lever. i can upload a photo if interested. - funny story... i had csmith convinced it was actually a remotely controlled throttle servo i could use when the kid wasnt going fast enough!!
Details on the string potentiometer would be awesome! I hate not knowing my throttle position...

Old January 20th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #10
chugs
Schönen Tag noch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMoney View Post
Details on the string potentiometer would be awesome! I hate not knowing my throttle position...
+2 pix would be awesome.

Old January 20th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #11
iZapp
former ninja 250'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugs View Post
+2 pix would be awesome.
the blue circles are the two tapped holes for the screws on the pot (screws come in from back side). the red arrow shows the string going to the throttle. the pot is mounted to a 1/8" thick aluminum plate which is trimmed to fit perfectly in the tiny little spot in that corner and is held in place with the large rear motor mount nut. the string pot is an early billet alum one that XT was selling. dunno if they still are. the electrical cord is shown leaving the pot from about the 9 oclock position. sorry for the crap photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (130.3 KB, 23 views)

Old January 20th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #12
sierrahotel
CVMA #92

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): harleys

Quote:
Crank sensor works ok? For some reason I thought it wouldn't, so I use inductive- which is really noisy.
sierrahotel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2014, 04:59 AM   #13
iZapp
former ninja 250'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrahotel View Post
Crank sensor works ok? For some reason I thought it wouldn't, so I use inductive- which is really noisy.
plug n play

Old January 21st, 2014, 09:53 AM   #14
zvonler
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 250R

chugs, I see you found my thread over on xtracing.com already, but here's a link to my post about what I've got the GPX monitoring, in case others want to see.

I've got the device wired up to monitor/record RPM, oil pressure warning, coolant temp warning, fuel level, and brake activation. The oil pressure, coolant temp, and fuel level sensor circuits are all simple voltage dividers that use the 5V reference supply from the GPX and a resistor, just like the diagram that's posted earlier in that thread. For the oil and coolant sensors, the resistors are 1k ohm, and for the fuel level I used a 100 ohm resistor. I made another voltage divider using the front brake switch by wiring one of its contacts to ground and using a 10k ohm pulldown resistor on its other contact.

I can take some pics later to post but I don't know how helpful they'll be - I've shrink-wrapped and electrical taped all the solder joints and then covered them with plastic loom.
zvonler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2014, 11:47 AM   #15
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1198s, Triumph D675, Suzuki SV1000s, `08 Ninja 250, `11 Ninja 250, Suzuki GS750

Quote:
the blue circles are the two tapped holes for the screws on the pot (screws come in from back side). the red arrow shows the string going to the throttle. the pot is mounted to a 1/8" thick aluminum plate which is trimmed to fit perfectly in the tiny little spot in that corner and is held in place with the large rear motor mount nut. the string pot is an early billet alum one that XT was selling. dunno if they still are. the electrical cord is shown leaving the pot from about the 9 oclock position. sorry for the crap photo.
Thanks, was hoping you found a cheap source for the sensor.

Old January 21st, 2014, 12:52 PM   #16
chugs
Schönen Tag noch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvonler View Post
chugs, I see you found my thread over on xtracing.com already, but here's a link to my post about what I've got the GPX monitoring, in case others want to see.

I've got the device wired up to monitor/record RPM, oil pressure warning, coolant temp warning, fuel level, and brake activation. The oil pressure, coolant temp, and fuel level sensor circuits are all simple voltage dividers that use the 5V reference supply from the GPX and a resistor, just like the diagram that's posted earlier in that thread. For the oil and coolant sensors, the resistors are 1k ohm, and for the fuel level I used a 100 ohm resistor. I made another voltage divider using the front brake switch by wiring one of its contacts to ground and using a 10k ohm pulldown resistor on its other contact.

I can take some pics later to post but I don't know how helpful they'll be - I've shrink-wrapped and electrical taped all the solder joints and then covered them with plastic loom.
Can u provide a visual schematic for each voltage divider?

Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:16 AM   #17
Knolly
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): Daytona 675

Finally unpacked my GPX Pro last weekend, so this is all pretty great stuff. Gotta sit down and hammer out some of this before the season starts.
Knolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #18
iZapp
former ninja 250'er

the string-pot (linear potentiometer) used for throttle position that's shown above is for sale. we sold our 250 track stuff and the pot is no longer useful to us. PM me if interested. 75 plus shipping.

Old May 13th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #19
rc-rick
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): '09 ZX6 (street), '04 RC51 (street/track), '08 Ninja 250 (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMoney View Post

There is only one position for the throttle...PINNED!

That's why I'm up front.
rc-rick is offline   Reply With Quote