ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 1st, 2011, 11:56 AM   #1
PitBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Help with confusion over tire sizes

I'm trying to order new tires for my bike and I'm confused over tire sizes. I want to order the Bridgestone BT45's but it appears that there are two different tires with the same tire size. One of the tires has the following info:

BRIDGESTONE 110/70-17 M/C 54H Battlax BT45 F

NOTE: This tire has a code letter (G), which indicates that it is recommended for the specified motorcycles, and may also have been the original equipment tire. It can also be used on other motorcycles where appropriate. The compound and construction of the tire is uniquely suited to the weight, horsepower and handling characteristics of the motorcycles listed, even thought the rest of the description and specifications may match other tires with the same name.

Would this tire work with the 2009 Ninja. What would be different about this one versus the 110/70-17 without the "G" rating? So confused...
PitBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc.../tire-data.htm

Never heard if a G rating though (other than kiddie movies!).
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:53 PM   #3
PitBull
ninjette.org member

Thanks! I think I'll wait until I can find one without the "G" rating just to be safe. Maybe a "G" rating means it's for people who ride like wussies! LOL

Old April 1st, 2011, 01:02 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

It sounds like it's just a database indicator and not a different tire. FWIW, that is a front tire.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

It's for the GS500/GS500F made by Suzuki. I ran into the same problems while I was doing my tire research. I would not buy it personally. There is no reason for Bridgestone to sell the tire with the "G" notation if it were exactly the same as the other "standard" tire. The Suzuki bikes are a good bit heavier, somewhere in the 75-100 lb range, and the compounds may not heat up as well as they should for the Ninja.

I was going to get BT-45s as well, then decided I wasn't as concerned about mileage. Again, after more research I went with the BT-016. The front comes in our Ninja's size, but the smallest rear is a 150/60/17, though many people have sworn by this tire in this size on the stock rims. There are pages about this stuff in the Tech section. I ordered a front last week at a killer deal through Rocky Mountain ATV/MC for $57 shipped. It came in yesterday. I will be ordering the rear shortly.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

More discussion on this same point in this thread.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:01 PM   #7
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
It's for the GS500/GS500F made by Suzuki. I ran into the same problems while I was doing my tire research. I would not buy it personally. There is no reason for Bridgestone to sell the tire with the "G" notation if it were exactly the same as the other "standard" tire. The Suzuki bikes are a good bit heavier, somewhere in the 75-100 lb range, and the compounds may not heat up as well as they should for the Ninja.

I was going to get BT-45s as well, then decided I wasn't as concerned about mileage. Again, after more research I went with the BT-016. The front comes in our Ninja's size, but the smallest rear is a 150/60/17, though many people have sworn by this tire in this size on the stock rims. There are pages about this stuff in the Tech section. I ordered a front last week at a killer deal through Rocky Mountain ATV/MC for $57 shipped. It came in yesterday. I will be ordering the rear shortly.
As far as I can tell they have the best deals going. You should have ordered both at once though, free shipping on orders over $100
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Where will you get your tires mounted in the DFW area???

Monkey Wrench in Arlington, said I could have my tires ship to the shop and they would mount for $70...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
As far as I can tell they have the best deals going. You should have ordered both at once though, free shipping on orders over $100
I would have if they had the rear in the 150 size we need for our Ninja. They only had 160 and up for the rear.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:20 AM   #10
PitBull
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
Where will you get your tires mounted in the DFW area???

Monkey Wrench in Arlington, said I could have my tires ship to the shop and they would mount for $70...
I'm probably just going to go with my local dealer, Cycle Center of Denton. That sounds like a good deal at Monkey Wrench. CCoD charges about $100 but everyone else in the Lewisville/Denton area charges about the same. I am also buying my tires from Cycle Center. Believe or not, they are cheaper than anyplace I have found online. I've had incredible customer service from this dealership as well.

I've not had any luck finding the BT45s online anywhere and CCoD has searched high and low for a set. I'm just going to go with a set of the Dunlop GT501s. Cycle Center keeps those in stock. I'm going on a trip on the bike at the end of April so I want to go ahead and get new tires before I go.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:21 AM   #11
PitBull
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:29 AM   #12
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Great tires, real soft outsides for cornering and hard center for speed and endurance. Good luck. Changing tires is one of the first DIY's all should equip themselves to do, especially if you ride "I just put them on" tires like I do.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #13
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
More discussion on this same point in this thread.
Please read The link Alex provided. The G is nothing more than an indicator that it was installed as OEM equipment on some bikes. It does not mean that it is only meant to be used on those bikes.

As far as tire changing goes, I just purchased my BT-023's from Revzilla. I'm waiting for my tire irons, weights, and steel valve stems to arrive. I'll probably make a home made bead breaker with some 2x4's and buy the tire balancer from HF for $50. I think anyone who needs to change tires more than once a year or two should do their own tires. Youtube has a bunch of videos on how to change tires and it seems extremely easy. Scudman's videos are very informative.

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #14
PitBull
ninjette.org member

I read the link Alex provided and would have gotten the BT45's with the "G" rating but I am kind of in a time crunch. I will be out of town next week, home for a week and then I'll be taking a trip on the bike so I needed to get my maintenance done this week. By the time I found out I could use the BT45's it was too late to get them ordered and delivered in the timeframe I needed them.

Old April 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #15
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I was seriously considering the BT-45's but went with the BT-23's instead. The BT-023's are radial tires and from what I read on the net, radials > bias ply (which are what the BT-045's are). On Bridgestone's website, both the 23 and 45 are sport/touring tires. The bolded touring means the tires emphasize touring over sport. I've read a few different sites about radial vs. bias ply and it seems that for grip and tread life, radials are better.