Old May 9th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #1
forbitel
ninjette.org member

Name: telecom

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Question Intercoms, Worth it?

Hi,

My wife and I ride in separate bikes, I recently came to know about Intercoms,
I think it would be a neat idea to be able to communicate during a trip. I looked online and most of the intercom are based on Bluetooth with a 500m range.

Do you own one? have any experience with them? Is it really worth it?

Thanks,
forbitel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Years ago my wife and I (and some other riding friends) used Chatterbox units to communicate. They weren't great quality, had to be replaced and upgraded a number of times, and at times they seemed more trouble than they were worth. Over time, we used them less and less, and eventually didn't use 'em at all so we gave them all away for virtually nothing.

I do get the desire for real-time communication, and it may be helpful at times when training new riders, but at some point motorcycling really does become a solo activity, even if you're riding down the road with a group of friends/family right next to you. The need to chat with someone on another bike just isn't that important at some point.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #3
forbitel
ninjette.org member

Name: telecom

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Good Point Alex, I think I will have to think if we actually need it. I just though it would be neat, but you are right there is a good chance that they will end up in my forgotten vault of old gadgets
forbitel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #4
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

i want one, but i dont need one

it would be cool to be able to talk while riding, but its not that hard to just pull over and talk

and it would be another distraction

just develop a good set of hand signals
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #5
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
One of the best parts about riding is not having to answer the phone, listen to others, and worry about who wants what.

I enjoy the peace and freedom of being one with the bike.

If something is real important a hand signal will work.

Old May 9th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #6
Green Streak
Ninjette Owner

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, a puddle of Ninja ZX6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
One of the best parts about riding is not having to answer the phone, listen to others, and worry about who wants what.

I enjoy the peace and freedom of being one with the bike.

If something is real important a hand signal will work.
I also enjoy the solitude of a good ride and would hate to mess it up with nagging, whining, or yacking of any kind.

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

I got a set for my self and sharon to use. have not tried them out fully yet as she is not here yet. not sure how much chattering we will be doing but with her being a new rider in a new city a few directions and instructions couldn't hurt.

I do like being able to just jack my Ipod into my helmet but if you are just looking for music headphones work lol.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #8
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Name: justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250r

looking at lids and i saw 1 that has a phone ipod bluetooth attached to a side didnt realy ask about the lid or anything but thought it was neat think it was icon airframe but would like to know how it works im not getting it cause im new and dont need any distractions but would still like to know how they work out and if the lids worth the 400 price tag

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #9
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I'm with the rest of you. Hand signals work great. Plus, with all the wind noise, I'd rather just take a message. In this day and age, we are way more connected than we need to be. Sit at a coffee shop and people watch and you'll find so many people that prefer texting to sitting with someone and having a nice good old fashioned chat. I dont need that transferred to riding.

As for helmets with it built-in. If you really need it then go for it but I'd much prefer a lighter helmet. Heavy helmets with all that extra stuff built into it can get tiring during longer rides or rides with a lot of over-the-shoulder checks.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #10
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

My wife and I use the Scala Rider Q2 for bike to bike communication every time we ride. A few friends also have em and really like em.

slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #11
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I was considering a pair of those for riding 2up (< haha, reminded me of mario) when I ride with my gf on the back. Then I thought to myself, why pay $180+ for a headset when our heads are literally inches apart? I'd love to talk to her...or would I?

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #12
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
I was considering a pair of those for riding 2up (< haha, reminded me of mario) when I ride with my gf on the back. Then I thought to myself, why pay $180+ for a headset when our heads are literally inches apart? I'd love to talk to her...or would I?
These really came in handy for working with my wife while she was just starting out on her own 250 to provide live instruction during rides... now we use em on every ride, kinda fun to chat while riding around. During group rides we would put one person with these at the front and one at the rear, it was easy to keep the group together too.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #13
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I completely understand it for moto-to-moto communication. It would be nice for me and my gf but we don't really need it. Maybe for a long trip but I won't be taking any long trips with her on the back. Other than that, I haven't ridden with any other bikes in an actual group, it would definitely be great to have for it though.

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #14
Green Streak
Ninjette Owner

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, a puddle of Ninja ZX6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post
My wife and I use the Scala Rider Q2 for bike to bike communication every time we ride. A few friends also have em and really like em.

As loud as the wind and motorcycle is, I figured it would be too much noise to have good sound quality and to really be of much use. Do you have to yell at the mic to be heard or can you talk relatively normally?

Old May 10th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #15
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

heres a question. What about the two way radios you can get at like wal mart and target? They have like a 26 mile range and you can get a headset/earphone/mic setup for them?
Mizono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #16
PitBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
As loud as the wind and motorcycle is, I figured it would be too much noise to have good sound quality and to really be of much use. Do you have to yell at the mic to be heard or can you talk relatively normally?
I have one of the Scala Rider Q2 headsets that I use on group rides with friends. They work very good. They are full duplex so you can both talk at the same time without any weird delays. The only problem I have is on really windy days it sometimes triggers the microphone when I'm listening to music. I think that is a placement problem I have with the mic in my helmet though. Sound quality when talking is great. However, the speakers aren't the greatest when listening to music but you get used to them. I've enjoyed having it but there are days when I don't want to talk to anyone and just enjoy the ride.
PitBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #17
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

My only issue with the q2 is modern phones that use a2dp for blue tooth will transmit phone only over Bluetooth, no music or satnav. My work around right now is a boostaroo and I jack in to the q2 unit. I am going to get a Bluetooth receiver for it so I can have the phone send to the receiver and the receiver jacked into the scala.

The sound quality is good enough for music if you set the speakers right, what I did was use an old foam pad from a previous helmet inside my current helmet to get the speakers closer to my ear and block wind noise. When Sharon gets out here it will be more usefull as we go on trips together.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #18
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizono View Post
heres a question. What about the two way radios you can get at like wal mart and target? They have like a 26 mile range and you can get a headset/earphone/mic setup for them?
Don't bother with these units (ask me how I know). You really need the noise canceling feature to be able to understand each other.

I will say when I ride solo, my Q2 is never even turned on. The intent for them when I purchased them was for entertainment for my wife (MP3 player) on long rides and for those needed bathroom/food breaks. I will say too that my wife can almost give directions better than most navigation units. Truly comes in handy at times. Allows the driver to really focus on the road and road hazards.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #19
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

My wife and I got set of Q2s recently. I was sort of doubtful going in, because, like Alex, I've tried to use other solutions in the past that just didn't work very well due to the old technology. With the Q2s, I was pleasantly surprised right from the start. The full duplex works better than I'd hoped, and once I got the microphones placed right, no problems. We can have a normal conversation up until freeway speeds, then we need to speak up. It really helps in a lot of conditions, and we had a pretty comfortable riding situation to begin with, the intercom just makes it better.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #20
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

So what happens when there are more than two Q2's on a group ride?
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #21
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote