ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 11th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #1
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

hot climate riding

So I didn't want to prolong the other thread with the off topic. Anyways, I don't live in a hot weather climate. We see upper 90's and 100 degrees maybe a few days a year. For this week, it will be in the low 70s in this area.

For those of you who deal with extraordinary hot weather, how do you cope? I don't see many people mentioning camel packs, but maybe that might be something to consider?

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #2
FF0000
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (EX250F)

Jacket with vents. Sure, you get sweaty, but that's pretty much anywhere you go in the summertime here.
FF0000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #3
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Here summer lasts at least 5 months - with at least 25 days of 100+ - I just head out early in the morning, or not at all. Too damn hot with AGATT. I have no idea why people would want to move here - except out of pure ignorance or desperation; don't believe the hype. Just thinking about going outside is making me sweat.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #4
PitBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

I am in TX as well. Definitely agree that the heat can be brutal. I ride with a phase change cooling vest. If I didn't have that thing, my bike might stay parked on the 100 degree days. I do ride ATGATT.
PitBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #5
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

While my area is not that hot or really very humid, my experience has led me to believe that a perforated leather two piece is an excellent way to deal with summer heat. I have had very good luck with Dainese perf suits. Others will suggest their favorites. I also give a big endorsement to perforated boots. Dainese Torque Out Perf fit my feet and the airflow provides excellent relief while riding.

Because my bikes don't get outstanding mileage, I have to fill them up regularly so I take the time to fill my fluid tank at the same time. It just sort of balances out without the added backpack business.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Lou
ninjette.org member

Name: LOU

Motorcycle(s): GreenSE 09 250R

ATGATT. Mesh jacket (Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0) with Under Armor as a shirt. Works pretty well for me. My backpack (ogio no drag) makes my back abit hotter but i carry water & work stuff, my long sleve work shirt and a clean T in case i head off somewhere. Also before i head out i make sure to drink plenty water. Im not shy about stoping somewhere and gettting a drink if i need it.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #7
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
I am in TX as well. Definitely agree that the heat can be brutal. I ride with a phase change cooling vest. If I didn't have that thing, my bike might stay parked on the 100 degree days. I do ride ATGATT.
That sounds interesting Lisa. What exactly is a phase change cooling vest?

Old July 11th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #8
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

I ride atgatt (beside on my way to work (1 mile) i wear everyhting but pants) Its nice when you sweat at a light because right when the wind starts moving it cools you way down.

I'm going to get a mesh jacket soon though

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #9
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

My little slice of hell has a rough season for riding, but only during the 9 1/2 months of summer. I wear mesh, and have an evaporative vest. I am considering a phase change vest, as the evap vest, while it helps, isn't really terrific once we hit our 95 degree, 90% humidity summer stretch.

Unfortunately, the mesh is best at surface street speeds down here. At highway speeds, it just allows air off the highway (which is ofter higher than your body temp) to heat you up, rather than cool you off. With the insane humidity, you really can't sweat fast enough!

On the bright side, I do not own, or need to own, electric heated anything...

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #10
cr250dave
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 08 CBR600rr, 11 Ninja 250r, 03 CR250r, 84 DT-175

Here in AZ when its 100+ there really isn't anything that you can do to escape the heat, although, the phase change vest seems like a great idea. I wear a scorpion textile jacket, textile pants and sidi boots. I like to wear under armor so that the pants and jacket don't stick to my skin as I sweat. Sitting at lights is almost unbearable sometimes, but once you get going there is usually enough sweat built up to cool you down. This time of year is not the best for comfortable rides but at least we still have the option year round unlike some places that receive a lot of snow.

Oh an the bike makes a big difference. The 250 is relatively cool where the 600 and its undertail exhaust really gets hot not to mention the heat coming off of the radiator.
cr250dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #11
cr250dave
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 08 CBR600rr, 11 Ninja 250r, 03 CR250r, 84 DT-175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddoak View Post
My little slice of hell has a rough season for riding, but only during the 9 1/2 months of summer. I wear mesh, and have an evaporative vest. I am considering a phase change vest, as the evap vest, while it helps, isn't really terrific once we hit our 95 degree, 90% humidity summer stretch.

Unfortunately, the mesh is best at surface street speeds down here. At highway speeds, it just allows air off the highway (which is ofter higher than your body temp) to heat you up, rather than cool you off. With the insane humidity, you really can't sweat fast enough!

I really feel for you guys with the high humidity. People here complain this time of year when humidity is at ~40% because of the monsoons, if they only knew what real humidity was!

What type of evap vest do you have?
cr250dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #12
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Name: Crissy

Motorcycle(s): . . . . . . . 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 "Suzi", 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 "Yoshi"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
YES!!! Been saying it for years!!
I live in 116+ weather and ride everyday. I have ridden with people that wore evaporative vests and after riding with me they went to phase change. I also ride ATGATT :0

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #13
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

When riding in the hot desert (California, Arizona, etc), I wear a non-mesh jacket and zip up all the vents when it gets above 99F. This is because the hot dry air hitting the skin actually dehydrates. I'll use a Camelbak and wear a cooling vest and Kool-tie necktie and dunk them (and usually my non-cotton wicking T-shirt) in ice water every 30-40 miles. I've crossed the Mojave desert in summer a couple of times using this method. Note that this is for all-day long distance touring; if I were just going a hundred miles or whatever, I'd probably just do a mesh jacket (though you need to drink a LOT of water if you wear mesh in the desert).

When riding in the hot and humid areas of the country (Louisiana, Florida, etc), I'll wear a mesh jacket or open up all the vents. Here, the humid air needs to circulate otherwise you're just creating a swamp environment in your jacket. I still use the Camelbak but tend not to use the cooling vest as much when it's crazy humid. I've only done the real humid southeast once, though, so I'm hardly an expert there.

Old July 12th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #14
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
That sounds interesting Lisa. What exactly is a phase change cooling vest?
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #15
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

I grew up in this kind of ridiculous heat and humidity. It really doesn't bother me all that much. I don't understand why people move to the South and then complain constantly about the heat. It is important to stay hydrated though, that's for sure.

I would rather walk across a parking lot in 100 degree heat than in 50 degree wind.

That being said, My Alien leather jacket starts to become uncomfortable at 95 degrees. I haven't tested it at 100+. I think it would be bearable since 90% of my commute involves travelling at 60-70 mph with no stops.

I'm trying to work out a camel system for my tank bag. I think I have it almost figured out.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #16
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I never heard of a phase change vest until this thread. They look interesting. Unfortunately, they only work for a few hours and then have to be put back in the freezer. Even still, they would be great for a Sunday ride. I don't think they would be of much value commuting because they probably wouldn't be necessary in the morning and by quitting time, they have already thawed out. Still, I think I'd love to have one.

http://www.polarsoftice.com/bodycoolingphase.html

As for me, I wear mesh here in South Florida. Its not perfect, but its the best way to keep from having a heat stroke on the bike during the 11 months of summer. I've seen perforated leather, but I just can't imagine it letting as much air through.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #17
tsiratiug
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2010 Ninja 250R SE (SOLD), 2002 Honda Rebel

I live just North of Atlanta. A big chunk of the year down here gets oppressively hot and the humidity can make the air so thick it will take your breath away when you first walk outside.

I ride ATGATT so a mesh jacket and mesh overpants (with shorts, or less on underneath) are required or you'll die of heat stroke. Actually, it's not too bad as long as you're moving. The trick is to do your riding early in the morning (which can still be hot) or late in the day - but then you're risking sometimes violent thunder storms. Nothing like being on a bike 40 miles from home when the bottom drops out and the storm winds are 50-60mph - not fun. Sometimes I'll ride in the middle of the day but I almost always regret it before I get back home.

The trade off is that we get to ride year 'round.
tsiratiug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #18
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Non-vented gear(jacket and overpants, work clothes underneath) and sweat...a lot of sweat...

My riding buddies think I'm crazy...they don't wear much in the gear department though.

I don't really mind it that much, it's really only in the afternoon part of my commute that it's an issue, since it's usually cool enough in the mornings.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #19
planet-beaver
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Vulcan 500

To me , where I live in PA is hot. I grew up in cold climate and can't even imagine 105 heat. Forecast for next ten days for PA and TX.

planet-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #20
LilBrat
Lil Brat

Name: Lynn

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Kawa. Ninja 250 & 2002 Yama. VStar 1100

Quote:

We rode to Orlando over July 4th weekend via backroads avoiding the super slab. My vented jacket worked great until we hit the stop & go traffic near our destination in Old Town. But that was nearing the hot time of the day, so what did I expect! Of course we encountered our afternoon rain shower heading home Sunday, which was refreshing and didn't get heavy until a few miles from home (Port Charlotte). The next couple of months I'll avoid day long rides but did commit to a ride this weekend to Lake O. Can't help myself - a glutton for punishment!

Last futzed with by LilBrat; July 12th, 2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: repetition
LilBrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #21
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): . . . . . . . 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 "Suzi", 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 "Yoshi"

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Unfortunately, they only work for a few hours and then have to be put back in the freezer. Even still, they would be great for a Sunday ride. I don't think they would be of much value commuting because they probably wouldn't be necessary in the morning and by quitting time, they have already thawed out. ..
I put the inserts into one of those hot/cold bags (got at the grocery store) and the inserts are still solid when I get off work apx 6 hours later. They also can be recharged in a refrigerator or in ice water, takes about 15 minutes or so. We have had them for about 5 years and couldn't imagine life without it, also use it to do yard work.

Old July 13th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #22
shiroganeshinobi
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE

I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread. (commuter thread, CT's many other threads)

Here's an oldie but goodie article on some science of hot weather riding. It still applies to riding in all hot weather regardless of distance.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/I..._62-66_Hot.pdf
shiroganeshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #23
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Hot weather sucks! Early morning ride isnt too bad... later in the evening you get covered in buggs.
Best thing is to sit out the summer
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #24
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

n4mwd - Thank you for the link to the phase change vest.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #25
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiroganeshinobi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronButt
The magic number is 93. Below 93°F, it’s fairly easy to stay cool on a motorcycle as long as you are moving fast enough to get some wind against your skin for convective cooling. A mesh riding suit feels great.
Above 93°F, it’s a different world. The wind is no longer your friend.
For long distance riding in temperature higher than 93°F, you need to (1) minimize your body’s exposure to direct wind blast; (2) wear wicking undergarments, including a helmet liner; (3) carry an adequate supply of cool water and drink frequently; and (4) insulate any parts of your body exposed to engine heat or radiator discharge.
That almost sounds like you are better off in full leather above 93F.

BTW, what exactly are "wicking undergarments"? How do they work? Anybody actually use one?

Old July 13th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #26
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
That almost sounds like you are better off in full leather above 93F.

BTW, what exactly are "wicking undergarments"? How do they work? Anybody actually use one?
Yep to both (see my earlier post). I don't know about full leathers but definitely zip up the vents when it's hot and dry. I'd always heard 98F (body temp) instead of 93F but that's nitpicking at those temperatures. That said, when I rode through SoCal/Arizona with some friends at between 110-120F, I was in full leathers and they were in textiles or mesh and I don't think I was any less comfortable than they were.

Wiking clothes is stuff like CoolMax clothes (http://coolmax.invista.com/). The fabric moves perspiration away from the body. I get mine at REI when they have their annual sales; the tank tops and T shirts are great for riding or sleeping in while camping. I have a couple of long sleeved Ts too as they're very comfortable for layering.

Old July 13th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #27
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
Yep to both (see my earlier post). I don't know about full leathers but definitely zip up the vents when it's hot and dry. I'd always heard 98F (body temp) instead of 93F but that's nitpicking at those temperatures. That said, when I rode through SoCal/Arizona with some friends at between 110-120F, I was in full leathers and they were in textiles or mesh and I don't think I was any less comfortable than they were.

Wiking clothes is stuff like CoolMax clothes (http://coolmax.invista.com/). The fabric moves perspiration away from the body. I get mine at REI when they have their annual sales; the tank tops and T shirts are great for riding or sleeping in while camping. I have a couple of long sleeved Ts too as they're very comfortable for layering.
At 110-120, those phase change vests sound really good.

I wear mesh and usually its not bad at temps < 95F, but occasionally, it feels like I ride into an oven. I think that must be the point at which full leather would be better. To be honest, I never thought of it that way, but it does make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolMax
The system can move perspiration away from the body, and through the fabric, where it can evaporate quickly, allowing the wearer to feel cooler and more comfortable.
So my next question is if the sweat goes into the fabric, where does it go after that if you are wearing full leathers? It sounds like its more of a comfort issue than a cooling issue. Just like wiping the sweat off your face doesn't cool you any better, it just makes you feel more comfortable.

In any case, I'd like to try one under my helmet. I hate it when that gets all sweaty. I wonder if it would work there.

Old July 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #28
shiroganeshinobi
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE

Quote:
At 110-120, those phase change vests sound really good.

I wear mesh and usually its not bad at temps < 95F, but occasionally, it feels like I ride into an oven. I think that must be the point at which full leather would be better. To be honest, I never thought of it that way, but it does make sense.

So my next question is if the sweat goes into the fabric, where does it go after that if you are wearing full leathers? It sounds like its more of a comfort issue than a cooling issue. Just like wiping the sweat off your face doesn't cool you any better, it just makes you feel more comfortable.

In any case, I'd like to try one under my helmet. I hate it when that gets all sweaty. I wonder if it would work there.
It's not really saying wear full leathers, it's saying that you should wearing wicking clothing such as bluepoof mentioned above or underarmor under your protective gear. What do you see people wearing under their 1/2 piece leathers most of the time? It's usually some kind of moisture wicking clothing. The point of wicking clothing is to take the sweat away from your skin so it can evaporate better. You feel this cooling effect when the wind hits the fabric and evaporates the moisture. Buy some underarmor and try it!

Don't forget it's also important to replace that moisture loss with fluids. Temperature is relative because when it's hot, you're just uncomfortable. So now you get to be smug when you see those squids on their bikes with their tshirts and shorts on.
shiroganeshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #29
n4mwd

I remember hearing an army drill sergeant answering the question as to how they always looked so cool in 100F weather when everyone else is dripping wet. He said that they sprayed their faced with antiperspirant and the inside of their uniforms with scotch guard. The sweat rolled out the pants legs where it couldn't be seen.

I'm going to try some of the stuff mentioned in this thread. I may even get some full leathers because they will at least be better in the winter when its below freezing. Here in Florida, people start to freeze at 65F so that's what I consider below freezing.

Old July 13th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #30
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
I get mine at REI when they have their annual sales; the tank tops and T shirts are great for riding or sleeping in while camping. I have a couple of long sleeved Ts too as they're very comfortable for layering.
Carolyn, did you know there's an Under Armor outlet shop in Gilroy? I picked up a couple short sleeve UA shirts for $15 each. I don't believe there was any special sales either.

Old July 13th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #31
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Carolyn, did you know there's an Under Armor outlet shop in Gilroy? I picked up a couple short sleeve UA shirts for $15 each. I don't believe there was any special sales either.
Squeeeee!!! No, I didn't know they had a store at that outlet shop. Thanks!

Old July 13th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #32
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I don't ride much during the summer, if only the ninjette had AC. When I do ride its usually at night. Its so humid right now it feels like I'm standing in a hot shower when I go outside. My car windows and my glasses keep fogging up too. I hate Alabama....

I wanna move somewhere where its cold year round.

Old July 13th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #33
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Squeeeee!!! No, I didn't know they had a store at that outlet shop. Thanks!
I just found that out 2 days ago as well. Suffice to say, I was excited!
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #34
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

OK... got a phase change vest, this one: http://store.coolvest.com/p-8-classi...fety-blue.aspx

Poked around on the internet until I found a coupon code good for 20% off. Hey, good is good, so is cheap!

Anywhoo... It came in a few days ago, so naturally, it's been cooler(90 degrees) and or rainy, but today I rode in good swampy afternoon, post rain (rain doesn't make it cooler here, just wetter) 95 degree bumper to bumper traffic in full sunlight at 4pm. In other word, crap conditions where neither mesh nor the evap vest really help. After my 1/2 ride, I got home, took off the jacket, then the vest, and was not sweating at all. It was still hot, but the stress of riding in the heat and humidity was simply not affecting me on the ride. The only downside? I look like a blue mesh Michelin man with the vest bulking up under the jacket. However, I could care less.

In short: Worth every penny. Thank you Chrissy, Lisa, and Carolyn for the suggestion. I'll recommend them as well.

Old July 28th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #35
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Talking

Glad it helps. I often wear only two so I dont feel so big. But when its real hot I don't care what I look like.

Old July 29th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #36
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Nothing feels as delightful as 100 degree air trying to circulate through you perf leather but can't because you're wearing a backpack mmmmmmmm. I came home today and couldn't get my shirt/tank top off because they were stuck to my back haha
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #37
Lou
ninjette.org member

Name: LOU

Motorcycle(s): GreenSE 09 250R

How about riding in town where you realy cant get much speed going? Dont know if its just me but if i have tons of stop and go traffic short shifting and no engine braking seems to help keep the heat down on my legs.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #38
TheJimmyEnglish
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Red

I'm thinking of getting the Shift Air Avenger jacket. Any of you have any feedback about this jacket? Heres a link to it.
http://shop.shiftstreet.com/store/br...ryId=cat320022

Old July 30th, 2011, 04:40 AM   #39
n4mwd

Quote:
The only downside? I look like a blue mesh Michelin man with the vest bulking up under the jacket.
Bill, How thick is it? My mesh jacket is already pretty tight. I would be worried that my jacket wouldn't fit over it.

Old July 30th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #40
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJimmyEnglish View Post
I'm thinking of getting the Shift Air Avenger jacket. Any of you have any feedback about this jacket? Heres a link to it.
http://shop.shiftstreet.com/store/br...ryId=cat320022
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ight=shift+air

It's a fine jacket. Its been in the mid 90's with 80% humidity for the past 2 weeks. I ride anyway. It's fine while moving, stop and it's hot as my other jackets.

Here is the kicker though... I love this type of weather. While others are uncomfortable hot, I am the happiest person in the world.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote