ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old November 19th, 2015, 02:53 PM   #1
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

2016 CSS Schedule is up!!

Just got back from an epic 4 days coaching the last school of 2015 in Las Vegas.

Super excited for the 2016 schedule which has just been released and has a few new tracks including COTA and Thunder Hill. I can't wait to do more dates next year

http://www.superbikeschool.com/schedule/

Happy riding
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old December 8th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
hmm, I may be able to spin a day at njmp

depends how the budget works out with the ccs and tpm gp moto racing
I'd be doing it on my own bike so it'll only cost the same as a month's rent

Old December 14th, 2015, 01:08 PM   #4
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
hmm, I may be able to spin a day at njmp

depends how the budget works out with the ccs and tpm gp moto racing
I'd be doing it on my own bike so it'll only cost the same as a month's rent
Pffffffffft. Rent schment.

Old December 14th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #5
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Wow. COTA must charge a bundle in track fees. Is Thunderhill going to be the traditional East track?

There are rumors that COTA will get dropped from the F1 schedule after the rain disaster last season.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #6
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Hm been thinking about doing css. Might be able to swing it this year.

Old December 14th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #7
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Hm been thinking about doing css. Might be able to swing it this year.
Not that I've done a lot of race schools but I have done 3 or 4 2 day CSS schools and a CODE race school. Best money I've spent on motorcycle track training and hella fun!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #8
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Hey Misti,

Do you know what courses you'll be teaching at this year yet? I'd love to have you as my coach again!
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2016, 02:29 PM   #9
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Hey Misti,

Do you know what courses you'll be teaching at this year yet? I'd love to have you as my coach again!
Hi!

I will for sure be in Vegas Feb 13/14 and March 12/13, after that I'm not 100% sure. I'm trying for the Ridge again but have a few other trips planned this year that will take me away from the family so I'm trying to balance how much time I'm away even though I'd love to do tons of schools!

When I commit to a school I'll let you know Would be great to ride with you again!

PS. Did you watch the GoPro footage you took? Did you see me waving at you from behind? Hehehehe. :dance cool:

Happy New Year!!!

Old January 5th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #10
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
@Misti do you think they will ever get ninjettes or small bike to train with?
some of us are a little short and I fear jumping on a 1000 I can't touch on from a 300 is a death wish.

Old January 5th, 2016, 06:29 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
some of us are a little short and I fear jumping on a 1000 I can't touch on from a 300 is a death wish.
You are free to ride your own bike (small cc) if you don't buy the 2day school. Just by level 1 and level 2 back to back single days. I know there are benefits to the two day school, but there are also benefits to riding your own bike so you can focus on "you". The "big bike" mindset should go away after a session or two (self imposed limits ), but you are free to make your own way.

All in all though snot, it won't matter either way. Sure... you will spend the first session/drill "throttle control" getting used to a "handicapped" liter bike. But guess what... that is what you SHOULD be doing when jumping on that bike.

Ultimately, CSS caters to your needs, it's what they are very good at. If you want to ride your own bike, they will have no issue with that. "I" insisted on it when I did it, you can too if that works for you.

Lastly, if you choose to take the css courses, go into it with an open mind. It's unlike any track day you have ever taken and say HI for me please.

Old January 5th, 2016, 06:38 PM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Sorry @Misti if I jumped in where I shouldn't have.

Old January 5th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #13
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
You are free to ride your own bike (small cc) if you don't buy the 2day school. Just by level 1 and level 2 back to back single days. I am sure there are benefits to the two day school, but there are also benefits to riding your own bike so you can focus on "you".

All in all though snot, it won't matter either way. Sure... you will spend the first session "throttle control" getting used to the a handicapped liter bike. But guess what... that is what you SHOULD be doing when jumping on that bike.

Ultimately, CSS caters to your needs. If you want to ride your own bike, they will have no issue with that. "I" insisted when I did it, you can too if that works for you.

Lastly, if you choose to take the css courses, go into it with an open mind. It's unlike any track day you have ever taken and say HI for me please.
I know I won't this year. My biggest fear is laying my bike down. I am still so green that I do feel intimidated around the larger bikes and riders.
I know in time... and I trust my bike, it's me I don't trust. I love to ride and want to learn everything I can.
this past season I road in the rain in NC/GA/TN (dragon territory), at night, with a tinted visor. I surprised myself (and the guys with me) at how well the bike and I did. So, I learned a ton that night. I guess I need to be patient....

Old January 5th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
My biggest fear is laying my bike down.
Step 1.... get that out of your head. There is more important stuff to focus on.

Old January 5th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #15
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Step 1.... get that out of your head. There is more important stuff to focus on.
it's the $$ that bother me the most and not having my bike...

but yes coach, I will focus on riding and what to do. Maybe next year we will make it to Virginia for the school.

Old January 5th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #16
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
it's the $$ that bother me the most and not having my bike...

but yes coach, I will focus on riding and what to do. Maybe next year we will make it to Virginia for the school.
IMO the money is some of the best value you will ever get in motorcycling.
Take your bike! I've done both school bikes and my own bike. I preferred riding my own however; I can vouch for the VERY reasonable damage charges they will assess if you do damage to one of their bikes! It was under 400 in my case and that would have cost me well over a thousand if I had to do the same repairs on my bike!
D.O.N.'T. Worry about other riders! I was too but it just isn't a factor!
And if you can: get Misti! She is a marvelous coach and you will bond with her instantly. Whatever "it" is; she's got it!
If I recall correctly; you have a marvelous hubby and he would love to get you to a school session if he were to know you want to!
Typed on my phone so it may be a bit disjointed but I hope you're getting my suggestion: have no hesitations and go!
My 2 cents
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old January 5th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #17
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Take your bike! I've done both school bikes and my own bike. I preferred riding my own however; I can vouch for the VERY reasonable damage charges they will assess if you do damage to one of their bikes! It was under 400 in my case and that would have cost me well over a thousand if I had to do the same repairs on my bike!
And if you can: get Misti! She is a marvelous coach and you will bond with her instantly. Whatever "it" is; she's got it!
If I recall correctly; you have a marvelous hubby and he would love to get you to a school session if he were to know you want to!
Typed on my phone so it may be a bit disjointed but I hope you're getting my suggestion: have no hesitations and go!
My 2 cents
Tagging along to SLOWn60, I can also vouch for the VERY reasonable damage charges by CSS. They also used to, and probably still do, offer a lowered bike option for shorter people.

The training program is generally designed to prevent people from riding over their heads. As long as you follow along and are methodical about things, you should be fine. I lowsided, albeit when they ran Kawasakis, and the damage was ~$300. My incident was purely due to my own stupidity; instead of focusing on any of the other corners, I tried to eek out a little more from the corner I was doing best on.

I also don't think riding a 300 will be an issue. In many ways, the 300 may actually be more beneficial. The early drills are fourth gear no brakes. When I went in the past, people generally had a slow pace while trying to calibrate their minds to the deceleration of the bikes. Everyone also tended to give each other a wide berth.

After a four year hiatus from riding, I've been thinking about going back to repeat a level or two next season. I think it's likely I'll bring the 300 down for at least one day.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2016, 03:51 AM   #18
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
thank you all. I will say if and when I go my hubby will be on the track too.
I would like to ride the BMW, one reason is to feel the difference. But, I am more comfortable on mine. we will see what happens in the future. For now I am going to focus on going back to Mid Ohio or Putnum this year to work on me. Oh, and another trip to the Dragon.

Old January 6th, 2016, 12:24 PM   #19
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I understand your fear as I'm just under 5"4 and was very nervous on the big bikes when I first started riding as well. The school does offer a lowered seat version of the S1000's which helps a lot and we very often allow shorter riders to park in different areas away from the other riders to reduce the amount of slow speed parking maneuvers you have to do....we've even had riders plan to be "caught" by the mechanic or their coach as they come into the pits so they don't worry about dropping the bike. Whatever the problem we do our best to work with you on solving it.

There is also the 800 that we sometimes let riders use if they are worried about touching the ground or you can bring your own bike to the single day schools as csmith12 said.

Quote:
Sorry @Misti if I jumped in where I shouldn't have.
Not at all! All good info and you answered all the questions

Quote:
I know I won't this year. My biggest fear is laying my bike down. I am still so green that I do feel intimidated around the larger bikes and riders.
I know in time... and I trust my bike, it's me I don't trust. I love to ride and want to learn everything I can.
this past season I road in the rain in NC/GA/TN (dragon territory), at night, with a tinted visor. I surprised myself (and the guys with me) at how well the bike and I did. So, I learned a ton that night. I guess I need to be patient....
This is precisely the reason why I'd suggest focussing on YOUR training before anything else. You will make the most improvement and gain the most confidence in yourself AND your bike if you focus on getting the proper skills training right off the bat. If you are thinking of going to a riding school at all then sooner rather than later will be of much more benefit to you than trying to wait until you think you will be more confident.

And don't worry about dropping your bike. I've tipped over more times than I can count on slow speed stuff, even falling over on the side of the track when I pulled a student over because I went to put my foot down and there was a slight dip in the ground that I didn't see ....it happens to the best of us

Quote:
IMO the money is some of the best value you will ever get in motorcycling.
My 2 cents
Agreed! And thank you kindly for the compliments. I LOVE my job, I can hardly even consider it a job because I enjoy it so much so maybe that is what the "it" is Passion and enjoyment :dance cool:

Let me know if you have any other questions

Old January 6th, 2016, 02:20 PM   #20
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
I lowsided at Mid Ohio, when I did I damaged the bike to where I could not ride the rest of the day. It was on the 1st lap, that is why I worry about it the most. I would hate to pay for a day of riding and not be able to ride..lol. I have done a few track days and I have been riding for 5 years. I still feel green since I don't ride as well as most people on the track. I don't have that as 1 with the bike feeling all the time like I would like.

I also know my lines and entry speeds need the most attention.

Old January 7th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #21
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Thanks all for the tips...
I really do want to go in the next year.

Old January 8th, 2016, 04:46 PM   #22
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Hi!

I will for sure be in Vegas Feb 13/14 and March 12/13, after that I'm not 100% sure. I'm trying for the Ridge again but have a few other trips planned this year that will take me away from the family so I'm trying to balance how much time I'm away even though I'd love to do tons of schools!

When I commit to a school I'll let you know Would be great to ride with you again!

PS. Did you watch the GoPro footage you took? Did you see me waving at you from behind? Hehehehe. :dance cool:

Happy New Year!!!
Heh, I haven't reviewed all my GoPro footage yet but I'll be sure to take a look for your belated greetings -- gotta tempt me to go back to Nevada don't you? If March isn't full I may see about signing up there too.

Old January 11th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #23
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Heh, I haven't reviewed all my GoPro footage yet but I'll be sure to take a look for your belated greetings -- gotta tempt me to go back to Nevada don't you? If March isn't full I may see about signing up there too.
Heheheeh, Vegas will be fun!

Ya, I was following you when I realized you had the go pro facing backwards so I made a few funny faces and had some fun.

Looking forward to the next schools! Woooohhoooooo!!

Old January 20th, 2016, 12:52 AM   #24
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Hey Misti, Got myself signed up for Vegas in March and the Ridge today; I also called in and requested you be my coach.

If you're at the Ridge I'll also be dragging my significant other for level 1 -- she just got her motorcycle endorsement and we're picking her up a 300 in Feb and I'm going to start practicing my own coaching skills and do some riding and parking lot drills to get her seat mileage up to spec before July. Any coaching suggestions to make sure she's as ready as possible to absorb CSS?

Last futzed with by Yakaru; January 20th, 2016 at 05:48 AM.

Old January 20th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #25
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Hey Misti, Got myself signed up for Vegas in March and the Ridge today; I also called in and requested you be my coach.

If you're at the Ridge I'll also be dragging my significant other for level 1 -- she just got her motorcycle endorsement and we're picking her up a 300 in Feb and I'm going to start practicing my own coaching skills and do some riding and parking lot drills to get her seat mileage up to spec before July. Any coaching suggestions to make sure she's as ready as possible to absorb CSS?
Great! Look forward to seeing you in March in Vegas and at the Ridge in July! Wooohooo!!

As for your other half, seat time and practice is good. Visual skills are pretty important so try to have her look where she wants to go and avoid looking down at the front tire, which is a common mistake of new riders. Also being smooth with the throttle.

What do you think are some things that you would feel confident teaching her?

Should be a super fun year!!

Old January 20th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #26
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
I'm definitely going to sit down and watch the Twist of the Wrist DVD with her and drill counter steering and to intentionally pick a line, smooth throttle control, the SRs and how to keep them under control. Beyond that I want to see how she develops from there and will try and emulate being a hypernovice CSS Coach as best I can.

Old January 22nd, 2016, 12:05 PM   #27
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I'm definitely going to sit down and watch the Twist of the Wrist DVD with her and drill counter steering and to intentionally pick a line, smooth throttle control, the SRs and how to keep them under control. Beyond that I want to see how she develops from there and will try and emulate being a hypernovice CSS Coach as best I can.
Just remember ONE Thing at a time or she will get overwhelmed.

Counter-steering
Throttle control
Vision

Lots of encouragement

Old January 22nd, 2016, 12:17 PM   #28
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
That's why I had such a tough time with "Quick Turn":
I can do "Quick" or I can do "Turn"!

Old January 22nd, 2016, 12:39 PM   #29
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
That's why I had such a tough time with "Quick Turn":
I can do "Quick" or I can do "Turn"!
That is very common when the light bulb finally goes on above the rider's head. They start to fully embrace countersteering in their riding, then suddenly the bike falls over so much easier and faster. Now the corner entry feels different than before, and they suddenly have an extra second or two. Question is... what do you do with the extra time? How do you best spend it?

Last futzed with by csmith12; January 23rd, 2016 at 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Old January 23rd, 2016, 08:14 AM   #30
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Just remember ONE Thing at a time or she will get overwhelmed.

Counter-steering
Throttle control
Vision

Lots of encouragement
Thanks that's really solid advice. Plan was to do one thing at a time but the reminder definitely drills it in as vital. Counter steering is definitely the first thing to get nailed before we move on.

Old January 29th, 2016, 09:34 PM   #31
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Thanks that's really solid advice. Plan was to do one thing at a time but the reminder definitely drills it in as vital. Counter steering is definitely the first thing to get nailed before we move on.

Old February 22nd, 2016, 07:54 AM   #32
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

This should be an interesting year. Signed up to repeat levels 2 and 3 at VIR in August after a while away from riding. Taking the 300 down and will probably ride it both days, but maybe I'll switch day 2 to the BMW.

Having to work makes planning trips so difficult nowadays.

Old March 2nd, 2016, 01:42 PM   #33
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post
This should be an interesting year. Signed up to repeat levels 2 and 3 at VIR in August after a while away from riding. Taking the 300 down and will probably ride it both days, but maybe I'll switch day 2 to the BMW.

Having to work makes planning trips so difficult nowadays.
That's great!!! you will have so much fun and what a great way to get back into the swing of things after some time away.

Planning trips is difficult with work (or in my case, Kids!!) I'd love to coach more than just a few schools a year but at this point it is just too much time away from the kids. I'll have to keep up the skills so I can still ride fast when I'm old and the kids are out of the house Then I can go back to being full time at the school

Old April 27th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #34
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
That's great!!! you will have so much fun and what a great way to get back into the swing of things after some time away.

Planning trips is difficult with work (or in my case, Kids!!) I'd love to coach more than just a few schools a year but at this point it is just too much time away from the kids. I'll have to keep up the skills so I can still ride fast when I'm old and the kids are out of the house Then I can go back to being full time at the school
Definitely looking forward to it! So much so, that I convinced two friends to also take time off work and go. Still working on a coworker, but I've got a few months to go. Haha.

It's turning into a 5 day affair with trackdays on North and South on Friday and Saturday and then the school on Monday and Tuesday.

Old May 2nd, 2016, 09:34 AM   #35
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post
Definitely looking forward to it! So much so, that I convinced two friends to also take time off work and go. Still working on a coworker, but I've got a few months to go. Haha.

It's turning into a 5 day affair with trackdays on North and South on Friday and Saturday and then the school on Monday and Tuesday.
Oh ya!!! Sounds awesome Always fun to have friends along with you for the fun! I'm stoked because I'm headed to Barber Motorsports Park to coach with CSS at the end of May! Because I have kids I've kept close to home (here on the west coast) but I finally decided to do a bigger trip and hit Barber which I haven't ridden for over 8 years now! Can't wait as it is one of my all time fav tracks. Let's hope I can still remember how to ride it

Woot!!