ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old July 10th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #1
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250r

My Dad backed into my bike today ... :-(

So my parents were leaving today to go out to dinner and I see my mother getting out of the car and go around the back so I looked out the window and there was my bike on it's side. My father was backing out of the driveway and didn't see my bike and hit it and kept going for a little bit.

My heart dropped and ran outside and started flipping out. I knew it wasn't his fault but I was still pissed.

I then lifted the bike and immediately noticed that the left plastics were all scratched including the front left blinker. I then noticed that the tail was really bad, as there is a very big crack in it and rashed as well. I then get on it to see if the bars were bent and it seemed like they are, and the clutch lever is all screwed up as well. The left mirror has very little glass still on it as it cracked when it went down. I tried to start it and it wouldn't start. I then choked it and still didn't start and finally got it to start giving it a little gas. It revved all the way up to 10k it was crazy. I get on it to drive it to the shed in the backyard since I couldn't ride it and noticed my right foot wasn't finding the peg. I then looked down and the whole right peg is hanging off with the break lever and all.

I am very upset and depressed since I have to miss probably months of riding because of this. How much do you guys think this is going to cost? I only paid 3k for the bike and it was practically brand new with 84 miles on it 2010. We are going to go through my fathers insurance.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? How much were the damages? Are they usually more expensive or less expensive than they look?
2fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Always more.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #3
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

:S he backed over a 375 bike :S imagine if it was a person >.> sorry to hear about the bike.

Old July 10th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #4
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fiddy View Post
I knew it wasn't his fault but I was still pissed.
Yes, it was. What if it was a person? A kid? People who back up without checking behind them first are
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Sounds like you have just cosmetic issues which is much better than leaks and cracks. At least it'll give you a reason to upgrade from the stock parts like some nice rear-sets and some new bar clip ons!

Old July 10th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #6
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

at max it will be 2 weeks for the insurance company to pay the dealership to fix the bike.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #7
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhyen View Post
Sounds like you have just cosmetic issues which is much better than leaks and cracks. At least it'll give you a reason to upgrade from the stock parts like some nice rear-sets and some new bar clip ons!
My buddy says it still might cost more including labor than the bike is actually worth and he said I'd be surprised cause they might total it out. I don't want to lose my bike.

Old July 10th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #8
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

I really don't think it will be that much to fix, unless you want new fairings, I would probably just leave them or find someone with a 250 they turned into a track bike and are selling the stock fairings. I would just get some new aftermarket rear sets and levers and ride it.
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #9
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

what will happen is you pay like 250 for a dealer to inspect it and come up with price for parts + labor. you tell your dads insurance how much the inspection cost and then you will get the inspection cost and the money for parts and labor now if you dont wanna fix it up to you.

Old July 10th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
what will happen is you pay like 250 for a dealer to inspect it and come up with price for parts + labor. you tell your dads insurance how much the inspection cost and then you will get the inspection cost and the money for parts and labor now if you dont wanna fix it up to you.
Not necessarily.... When I got hit I had a progressive agent come out to my bike and looked at it and wrote me a check right there on the spot

Old July 10th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #11
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Not necessarily.... When I got hit I had a progressive agent come out to my bike and looked at it and wrote me a check right there on the spot
was yours totaled ? because how else would the agent know how much to pay for repairs plus labor.

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #12
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

no it was not. Idk cuz thats there job and they know? especially if its just cosmetic. If its internal then they will probably want to take it

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #13
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
no it was not. Idk cuz thats there job and they know? especially if its just cosmetic. If its internal then they will probably want to take it
you got screwed then. I would never let them randomly look at and say here is some money. If it had a bent frame I would want them to cover that.

When my bike got knocked over it had a very slight bend in it so they ended up buying me a brand new bike. but when the same bike got rear ended had a dealer check it out and they sent me a check for 2k to replace all damaged parts.

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #14
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
you got screwed then. I would never let them randomly look at and say here is some money. If it had a bent frame I would want them to cover that.

When my bike got knocked over it had a very slight bend in it so they ended up buying me a brand new bike. but when the same bike got rear ended had a dealer check it out and they sent me a check for 2k to replace all damaged parts.
I def. did not. I got way more money then the damage, and I got paid for the labor, but I did it all myself

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #15
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I def. did not. I got way more money then the damage, and I got paid for the labor, but I did it all myself
but you have no idea if you have frame damage so you cant say that.

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #16
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

The tab got bent that the rearset attaches to. Thats the only thing. I just bent it back, all good

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #17
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I can check for frame damage.
Nice road in my back yard too while you're out here.
Follow adrian out. We have to do Idyllwild backwards.
See if you guys still have clean undies aftwerwards.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #18
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

That's the only thing. From the looks of everything, it looks like my forks are bent.

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #19
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
I can check for frame damage.
Nice road in my back yard too while you're out here.
Follow adrian out. We have to do Idyllwild backwards.
See if you guys still have clean undies aftwerwards.
Lol I did notice you put bent ninja 250

And yeah We should ride soon. Adrian only says good things about you. I wish I could have you check my valves (I think thats what it is lol) but I couldnt give up my ninja for a whole day

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #20
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
That's the only thing. From the looks of everything, it looks like my forks are bent.
Put milk crate or car jack under the engine to hold the front of the bike up. Loosen the fork clamps on the left fork leg and spin the fork leg in the clamp.

If you see your front wheel moving around while you spin the leg something is bent.

It's not detrimental necessarily but anything that bent your fork legs likely bent your frame and headtube also.

I'm a great mechanic but nobody is perfect. I've had my fair share of crashes in just about anything.
All you can do is learn from it and pay for it! lol.

I have a "this side down" sticker on my helmet now. I try and keep it that way..
but I do ride on the edge in full gear and I'm willing to accept the consequence.
I have no kids and not much responsibility though.
I just try not to play around others. Or guard rails... but that's another story!

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #21
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
2fiddy where'd you leave it? my family and I have an arrangement where I have a spot in the garage and if I want to leave it in the driveway, I have a spot in the driveway. Those are the two spots I can leave it and be sure it wont get hit. both spots have good visibility and the whole family knows to check those two spots for my bike.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #22
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
2fiddy where'd you leave it? my family and I have an arrangement where I have a spot in the garage and if I want to leave it in the driveway, I have a spot in the driveway. Those are the two spots I can leave it and be sure it wont get hit. both spots have good visibility and the whole family knows to check those two spots for my bike.
It sounds stupid, but I always leave it at the end of the driveway on the sidewalk. Usually when I go to my parents house I park it there because I know no one will be going out anywhere so I don't have to worry about it. They were in a hurry and then backed up without even looking and they hit it.

I shouldn't have been in the way of the cars anyways, so that is partially my fault. But they also know that I ALWAYS leave it there so ...

Old July 10th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #23
ninja250
You are sleeping

My ex backed into my Honda S2000 with her Ford F-150. It was just sitting in my driveway.
I'm like wtf you don't check your mirrors?
It happens. Bikes and S2000's are small and hard to see when left about.

Old July 10th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #24
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Ouch, that hurts.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #25
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Yep, many years ago I had my neighbor back into my new '86 Yamaha FJ1200. Fortunately he was honest about it and came and knocked on my door right away. He had "just" tipped it over, and nothing more, so it was "just" cosmetic damage. He wanted to pay for it himself, rather than insurance, so I went to my friend Joe, the local Yamaha dealer and made up a list of parts. The bike had been perfect, so I put on every part that had a scratch on the list. The guy paid up, I replaced all of the parts with obvious damage, and kept the rest as spares.

Back then there were no discount OEM parts sources like BikeBandit.com, let alone the "interweb".

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #26
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
My ex backed into my Honda S2000 with her Ford F-150. It was just sitting in my driveway.
I'm like wtf you don't check your mirrors?
It happens. Bikes and S2000's are small and hard to see when left about.
poor s2000 :[ did you back over her with something XD

Old July 11th, 2011, 01:39 AM   #27
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Being in a hurry just never seems to pay off in the long run.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #28
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
was yours totaled ? because how else would the agent know how much to pay for repairs plus labor.
The adjuster comes out, looks at the bike, makes a list of every aprt that got damaged. They then enter that list into their little satellite laptop, which pulls up the current prices and labor time to replace said parts. Easy enough for them to get a number in mere minutes. Not all companies will cut you a check on the spot though.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #29
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

For your dads sake, his insurer, and even yourself, I'd already be looking for replacement bikes due to the cost of the plastics especially, but even rearsets and such cost a mint (I've never used any either). This will put a bike under your arse right away and make dad feel better cause you do, and the insurer doesn't get a gambling headache writing a co. check. Get pro-active and get something better, go by KBB premium retail. Good Luck whatever you do. I did it to my own bike once.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #30
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
For your dads sake, his insurer, and even yourself, I'd already be looking for replacement bikes due to the cost of the plastics especially, but even rearsets and such cost a mint (I've never used any either). This will put a bike under your arse right away and make dad feel better cause you do, and the insurer doesn't get a gambling headache writing a co. check. Get pro-active and get something better, go by KBB premium retail. Good Luck whatever you do. I did it to my own bike once.
I'm kind of hoping they write it off.

Old July 11th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #31
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
I'm kind of hoping they write it off.
If the cost to repair the bike is more than what it's worth before your dad backed over it, then yeah they'll probably write it off.... the problem maybe that they give you a low ball offer... what you may want to do now is to start looking at Craigs List, or where ever to see what comparable Ninja 250's are going for in your area.

Either way you probably should start doing your homework/research now.

Old July 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #32
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

If they total the bike out what source do they go by for how much money they give you?

Old July 11th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #33
ninja250
You are sleeping

I don't know about bikes but a lot of cars I have seen people get OVER what the vehicle was worth!
Cross your bingers.

Old July 11th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #34
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

I hope so.

Old July 11th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #35
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If they total the bike out what source do they go by for how much money they give you?
To be honest with you I don't know how they would determine the value of your motorcycle, This is my first motorcycle... haven't had any accidents, and haven't had any drops yet...

I heard that for cars the insurance adjusters would use either NADA, or Kelly Blue book value.. but not real sure on that... When I was looking for my bike I was considering getting a used 250 and tried to figure out what the depreciation value of a use bike would be by using the guide line off of this site http://www.ehow.com/how_5073097_calc...ion-value.html I'm not sure how accurate the number for a used ninja 250 would be based on the formula off of this site, since it'll come down to a supply and demand thing (Low supply + high demand = High resale value, of course you'll need to take in condition, and mileage of the bike)

Again you'll want to do your research and look through all of the locale newspaper classified ads,and Craigs List ads in your area to find prices of bikes that are comparable to what you had... if you think your bike was worth 3K at the time your dad back-over it then you'll have to come up with ads from other sellers that are selling bikes comparable in mileage, and condition to yours in your area going for 3k, or more... BUT be aware that the adjuster will in all likelihood do the same but look for lower priced bikes comparable to yours... the game basically is that the insurance adjuster is trying to settle with you for as little as he can, and you on the other hand are trying to settle for as much as you can to get you back to where you were (bike wise) prior to the accident, nothing more, nothing less...

Good luck

Old July 12th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #36
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

So the adjuster comes tomorrow and he seemed like a nice guy on the phone so we will see. He said with the damage I described he said he will most likely total it out. I did my research and got NADA values and KBB values and also prices for comparable bikes selling in the area. Lowest one is priced @ $3800 so we will see. Do I show him these ads?

Old July 12th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #37
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Quote:
So the adjuster comes tomorrow and he seemed like a nice guy on the phone so we will see. He said with the damage I described he said he will most likely total it out. I did my research and got NADA values and KBB values and also prices for comparable bikes selling in the area. Lowest one is priced @ $3800 so we will see. Do I show him these ads?
See what kind of offer the adjuster comes up with first... I wouldn't bring up the ads unless you feel the adjuster is trying to low ball you.

The other thing to make sure of is to read the ad carefully and make sure that the higher prices are not because the bikes in the ads have a ton of aftermarket mods, or because they are SE models... or something of that nature... If you do bring up the ads the adjuster make want to take them with him, or make copies of them to call the seller to make sure the bike in the ads are indeed comparable to your bike, just be prepared, and

Good Luck

Old July 14th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #38
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:

Just curious, but what was your dad driving that did that much damage? It seems like a lot for just getting knocked over.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #39
nb2five0
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Hai

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Dude, I scratched mine and it was considered total. I don't think they're going to fix the bike for you.
nb2five0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #40
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
So.. what happened?
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote