ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #1
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Does anyone wear "armor" or "plates" When riding?

When riding on the roads...do any of you wear these clothes with the "armor" stitched into them at the joints. Like at the knee and elbow? If so how do you like em? What kind do you have. Anyone have a story where these have saved your hide? Seems like a plate sewn into the fabric would be ultimately more effective than leather.
Thanks

Old February 11th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #2
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavid2002 View Post
When riding on the roads...do any of you wear these clothes with the "armor" stitched into them at the joints. Like at the knee and elbow? If so how do you like em? What kind do you have. Anyone have a story where these have saved your hide? Seems like a plate sewn into the fabric would be ultimately more effective than leather.
Thanks
Check this link out

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9694

I have a Joe Rocket jacket with the pads in the elbow and shoulder, back and sides, and so far I am glad I don't know how good they work.

so I can't really say

nb.

Old February 12th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #3
aloh
lolwut

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

My leathers have built in armor.
I would suggest spending the money on leather. It provides excellent abrasion resistance and protection if you ever fall. It might cost a bit...but I like having a bit more confidence if I ever do go down hard.

Old February 12th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #4
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, CR125R

I have a Frank Thomas jacket with the shoulder, elbow, and back pad. I love it in this cold weather cuz it keeps me warm, and has a zip out liner for when it gets warmer. It doesn't bother me and i like to wear it because it looks good But like the others said, i haven't tested it out in the falling department and hope i don't have to anytime soon, but I am sure the armor doesn't hurt.
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #5
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I have leathers and textiles that has the pads/armor in them. I haven't crash tested them and I hope I never have to.

Old February 12th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #6
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

My buddy took a 50mph spill around a corner. He said the only thing that saved him was his gear. He was wearing his boots, jacket, pants, and helmet when it happened. He said after he knew he was going down, he laid on his back and let his gear take car of the rest. His jacket (which had armor plates in the back and elbows) was torn up and his helmet had tons of scratches, but he came out of it shaken up but with hardly a bruise.

PS: What about leathers in hot weather? In the summer time here, it can peak into triple digits (easily). Would leathers pretty much suffocate you? I know that even riding in my mesh gear (I've got a Cortech 3-in-1 touring jacket) I'd be sweating like crazy when I got somewhere. Anyone in hot temps w/ leathers?
xTKx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #7
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

yes, armor will save your ass. mainly from breaking bones.

Old February 12th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #8
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

We get a lot of humidity here in Maryland and while riding it cools down a little due to the generated wind I find wearing my leathers is not a problem. It is when we are stopped that I start to overheat. I did not go on one ride without my leathers. This is also the reason I travel with a camelback/water hydration pack while I ride. I usually fill it with ice before I leave so its still cold a little later. Also I wear a bandanna that at any point can be soaked in said water and put back on my head under the helmet.

Old February 12th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #9
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Both my leather and textile jackets have armor in the back, elbows and shoulders. I learned the hard way that you can't wear a protective jacket and neglect your legs. So now I wear CorTech denim riding pants with leather in the seat and knee padding. If I'm out riding all day I'll remove the knee pads and wear knee and shin guards (Thor Force) over the pants for more protection. Considering how vulnerable your unprotected knees and legs are in a crash it's surprising how many riders still think a jacket, helmet and boots is all the protection they need.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #10
Beast
Pure Imagination

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 08' 250r, '07 Vespa LX150 (it counts right?)

Same here...all armor, all the time I also have these:

Bohn Adventure Shorts:

Go tail bone protector!

Old February 12th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #11
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

i've got some shorts like that too, but i only use them for dirtbikes. my leathers have a ton of hip protection. some more in the tail bone would be nice though (i think i've cracked it at least once)

Old February 12th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #12
KnoxNinja
BRKDWN.

Name: Jimi

Motorcycle(s): 89 GPX250R, 89 GPZ500S

My Alpinestars jacket has armor in the shoulders, elbows, and a pad in the back. My legs are screwed until I get some good riding pants with pads in them. I also have leather gloves, but I need to get some armored ones. I think a lot of people overlook that part. Gotta save the hands and fingers if you're going to get back on the bike!
KnoxNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #13
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Dave - I think you are going to be getting an overwhelming yes to your question. I don't have enough experience you tell you what brand is better than another, and I've not had to use the protection, but both my First Gear MeshTex and TourMaster Transition jackets have elbow, shoulder, and back protection and are very comfortable. Mesh, ballistic polyester, or leather are all better than nothing.

Another thread had some pictures of someone who went down with only blue jeans - can we saw raw meat.

Old February 12th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #14
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Don, I wear a First leather jacket with elbow and back protection. I also wear Icon pants with knee and hip protection, Dingo square toed boots and Joe Rocket gloves. My helmet is a white HJC full face.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #15
Bill05
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250

I wear knee guards under my pants, and a back protector under my padded Icon jacket. I really dont wanna get road rash. That stuff looks painful.
Bill05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #16
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Wife has them, pants & jacket. When I ride with her, I usually just have them in my jacket. If I go out without her, the speeds are a bit more... so I wear all gear.

We both have full leathers for winter, perforated stuff for summer. For me thou, 95deg up Iam not riding........ 45 and lower, probably not riding
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #17
tlhamon
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

I wear Joe Rocket gear when I go long distance or high speed or heavy traffic. If I'm just riding to the gym, it's shorts and tennis shoes.

Old February 13th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #18
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

If you see my 'oops' thread, you'll see the outcome of my 'oops' with gear.... I know for a fact that it would have been much worse without the gear - as it was I walked away with a torn meniscus and a torn LCL - would most likely have been a broken leg without it given the force of the impacts...

Thomas - be careful - the short rides are just as dangerous as the long ones...
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #19
minizoom
ninjette.org member

Name: Alvin

Motorcycle(s): 09 ZX6R, previous bike owned 08 Ninja 250R Blue

I have the A* SG-1 2pc suit. I crashed on my second time I used it. Barely a mark on the suit. $1k of damage on the bike. I was fine though, just a sore left wrist. I have 9months riding experience and 10k+ miles on the bike when this happened two weeks ago. Get gear, its' worth it!
minizoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #20
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

I kinda wana buy everything from a shop instead of the internet. I wana see how everything feels on me. The only thing im worried about is the salesman creepin over my shoulder or something. I dont wana get sold junk I want something thats guna save my hide. Just go with a reputable prand like alpine star or joe rocker I guess?

Old February 13th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #21
minizoom
ninjette.org member

Name: Alvin

Motorcycle(s): 09 ZX6R, previous bike owned 08 Ninja 250R Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavid2002 View Post
I kinda wana buy everything from a shop instead of the internet. I wana see how everything feels on me. The only thing im worried about is the salesman creepin over my shoulder or something. I dont wana get sold junk I want something thats guna save my hide. Just go with a reputable prand like alpine star or joe rocker I guess?
Just go to the store to try it on, then go online and look for a deal. Also, some stores will actually match or beat online prices. Doesn't hurt to ask.
minizoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #22
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I replaced my armor with T-Pro.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #23
athimmel
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - blue

I bought a TourMaster Jett jacket with armor. It has a removable lining for summer and seems to be quite good for a reasonable price. I should probably consider getting some protection for the legs, though.
athimmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #24
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

I was urged strongly by a neighbor of mine to get a spine guard. So I went out and bought a Dainese one. the only thing that sux about it is, when I wear it, people think there is something wrong with my back or something =/
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #25
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

do you wear a jacket over the spine guard?I would just wear it over the spine guard so people couldnt see

Old February 20th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #26
toku
ninjette.org member

Name: Yuri

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

9 times out of 10 when I ride I wear my 1 piece suit it has all the armor and a spot to place a spine protector in. I don't really care if people look at me funny with my gear on. I've wrecked a couple of times with full gear... it still hurt.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:40 AM   #27
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

i have mesh jackets and under the clothes on the body lower armor for street summer riding and a 2 piece suit for track/serious riding. the full suit is just too much of a pain in the ass if I am going to the store or ect. If my sole purpose is to get lost on the bike in the twisties - the suit goes on
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:54 PM   #28
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

I wear Alpinestars compression shorts with light padding (very minimal and low-key) and Draggin Liners (kevlar "long johns" with CE knee armor attached) underneath my jeans.. again, very low-key and no one even notices I have any of these on.

My leather Dainese jacket has CE shoulder, elbow/forearm, and back armor

My armored stuff takes about 45 seconds to put on and it covers, at least minimally, my entire body (except chest.. working on that)
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:44 PM   #29
jpnfrk
Her name is Itoshii

Name: Nani

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

My Joe Rocket jacket has the CE shoulder, back and elbow armor in it.

Don't have riding pant yet so for now I use the ICON Field Leg Armor... saved me a couple of bruises and it's mega easy to take on/off. If you have wide leg jeans you can wear it underneath and no one will notice them...
Attached Images
File Type: gif icon-field-armor.gif (33.6 KB, 5 views)

Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:33 PM   #30
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

won't ride in anything less.

Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:36 PM   #31
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

I've lived in the desert for most of my life. I've always ridden throughout the year, during summer I'd stay hydrated and wear a jacket with good ventilation as well as protection. Then we found another solution a few years ago called a Phase Change Cooling Vest. These work well, they can be charged fairly quickly and maintain the charge for a couple of hours, long enough to go through a whole tank of gas while driving. They actually stay cold, they do not rely on evaporation. That's a great advantage because evaporation doesn't happen when the humidity is high.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:09 AM   #32
kkim

Does anyone wear "armor" or "plates" When riding?

As you can see by the overwhelming responses, everyone takes safety gear seriously on this forum, as well they should. No riding with flip flops and T shirts as we all realize skin is much softer than asphalt.

Buy the best safety gear you can afford and use it. Don't learn this lesson the hard way.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #33
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Indeed, I think ill take your advice, ill go to a local dealer and try some stuff on. Im looking for a bright colored jacket with a built in spine protector and kevlar. I doubt theyl have one, but if i can find my size i can order a jacket online

Old February 24th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #34
kkim

It's good to size stuff up and try on all the different brands and styles, but I would advise waiting until after you purchase a bike before ordering the gear. You never know what might happen and you don't want to be stuck with gear you're not going to use.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #35
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnfrk View Post
My Joe Rocket jacket has the CE shoulder, back and elbow armor in it.

Don't have riding pant yet so for now I use the ICON Field Leg Armor... saved me a couple of bruises and it's mega easy to take on/off. If you have wide leg jeans you can wear it underneath and no one will notice them...
i have alpinestars knee/shin pads but the knee kinda seems loose. how are these

Old February 24th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #36
Jane Honda
ninjette.org member

Name: Kris

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

I have a million dollar hospital bill from not wearing gear. Thank god I had a full face helmet on. There was actually asphalt ground into the plastic...

Spending the money on gear is way more cost effective to you than hospital time and lost time at work. Let alone spending time away from your family for 7 weeks.

My gear all has some armor in it. I don't even ride to the mailbox without it. But, I ride fully geared up.

Leather rocks! (so does textile too)
Jane Honda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #37
jpnfrk
Her name is Itoshii

kkim's right, get the bike before you get the gear.

Old February 26th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #38
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

shark - I also rock the ICON field leg armor on occasion... and it fits real nice. unlike the A* knee guard, the upper knee portion has it's own velcro strap so you can get it real snug. for longer rides, i'd recommend longer socks or thermals so it doesn't irritate your skin .. and it can get a little hot

very thick and substantial armor though.. i feel like robocop when i'm rocking it
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #39
jpnfrk
Her name is Itoshii

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
I also rock the ICON field leg armor on occasion...
[...]i feel like robocop when i'm rocking it
Hehehehe me too... better to look like Robocop (who was pretty cool anyways) than leaving your bacon on the asphalt!!

Old February 28th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #40
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
shark - I also rock the ICON field leg armor on occasion... and it fits real nice. unlike the A* knee guard, the upper knee portion has it's own velcro strap so you can get it real snug. for longer rides, i'd recommend longer socks or thermals so it doesn't irritate your skin .. and it can get a little hot

very thick and substantial armor though.. i feel like robocop when i'm rocking it
i may have to look into getting a pair of the icons and retire my astars then -