ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:18 AM   #1
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

Sigh, add my bike (and friend) to the statistics..

Well after a paltry 3 months of ownership, my bike looks like hell... and I wasn't even on it.

I started teaching the MSF around here, and a few friends of mine have been asking me to give them a head start and show them the basics on a bike such as the parts and various things you can learn before *riding* the bike. We were at a Memorial Day cookout, and my oldest friend (who has a drinking problem), decided he didn't need to know anything about riding a bike because he "can ride BMX better than anyone he knows, and drives a manual car". The bike was on because I had literally just showed my friends that WERE trying to learn how to start a bike, and it was on it's stand.

He came over, started saying how he already knew how to ride, and sat on the bike with his hands off. I told him he wasn't going to ride it, and he assured me he wouldn't, but then started going through all the functions (mostly correct, but nonetheless...) Then once I was agreeing that he knew the parts, I went to tell him that that still doesn't mean he can just ride a bike...

He grabbed the clutch and flipped it in gear and took off. At the most 15mph, but not even for a second was he in control or driving straight. he went maybe 20 yards, cut back hard towards us and lowsided my bike. He didn't try to stay with the bike once it went down, which just hurt the fall more, too. He landed mostly in the dirt of some lady's planter, but his arms up to his head hit the road. (oh and btw... no helmet obviously... or sleeves...)

We all rushed over, and the neighborhood had a wealth of people at home, including about 6 nurses who all helped a ton. I got there first and made sure he was breathing and so on, and while he was bleeding a TON, it was only because he had split his head right on the corner of his brow.

This was one of the scariest things I've ever had to experience.

The ER got there, we called and picked up his mom, and about 30 people were at the hospital making sure he was alright. This all happened around 7pm, and by about 1am, three of us got to go back and see him. He was banged up good. Road rash up and down his arms, but nothing you wouldn't catch from a good fall riding a bicycle. He ripped his pinky nail off in the feeble attempt to catch his fall, and broke the very last carpal in it, had to get 6 stitches for the cut on his eye, and fractured his cheekbone, which will be getting a little metal plate for support later today.

I stayed with him up until everyone basically kicked me out and demanded I get some rest, but I can't help but feel like it's more my fault than anything. I hate knowing my best friend could have died in my arms because of MY motorcycle...

My bike is banged up good. It mostly hit the part of the asphalt that curves up on the edge which is pretty rough in texture, so it took some nasty gashes out of the fairings, and the right pipe is... horrible looking. No dents, but it looks like a cheese grater. The oil sight just HAD to go and shatter, so it (obviously) isn't holding oil, and the rest are little things like the peg, front brake, and bar end (all easy to replace).

All in all, everyone is alright, and that's all that matters to me. There are a million 250's, but no matter how irresponsible, there is only one of my friend.
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:31 AM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

First off, glad he's alive and no major damage. Hopefully what damage he did take will get his ego under control and teach him a very important lesson. Second, don't blame yourself. It was 100% his fault. He came over with a big ego of "oh I know how to ride" and just would NOT listen to you. The ONLY ONE to blame is him. Technically he is also responsible for getting the repairs to your bike. However, since he is your best friend and banged up a good bit I would say it's ok if you soak up the repair bills and just give him some good jabs about not being able to handle the 'monster' a 250 ninja is.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

I would be a bit more harsh than the poster above me. He might have a chance at still being my friend, but he would damn well be responsible for the damage. The fact that you told him "he wasn't going to ride it" and he still did takes all the responsibility off of you. Friends are friends, but people have to be responsible for what they did. Not making him pay for repairs reinforces his "drinking problem". If anything having to pay will be better than the D.U.I. he should have gotten.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

Agreed he is totally responsible for the repair bills. My younger brother let me practice on his bike(now mine) but if i did happen to damage it regardless i would be paying for it. And that was me riding it WITH permission. If someone took off on my bike and damaged it. First obviously make sure they are ok and then start a tab for the repair bills. He was at total fault not you. As mentioned above. he was drinking and had a "im big and bad" attitude going on.
Mizono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 07:24 AM   #5
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Sorry Chase, but I agree with Mizono and Vampyre, he should be responsible for the damages. Was he drinking when he done it? It sucks that it happened but you told him he wasnt going to ride it and he did it anyways. But i am glad he is ok and the big is relatively ok.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 08:06 AM   #6
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Blame is all his. You didn't allow him, and you sure as heck weren't encouraging him. You told him he wasn't going to ride it, and he agreed that he wasn't going to ride it. Whether he was lying to begin with or if got "overcome by the moment", it's his fault.

The only other thing you could have done is taken the key away, but he said he wasn't going to ride so that shouldn't have been needed.

All that aside, hope his recovery isn't complicated. And maybe when he's feeling better, he or his family, at least tries to help with the repairs in some way.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 08:12 AM   #7
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Send him a bill.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM   #8
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

It's just all very frustrating. I know he's good for the repairs and his mom/family is close to mine too, so it's not like he would stiff me, but still.. The bike isn't even paid for yet

Any way you look at it, my near mint 07' will never look as clean, and surely won't resell for the break even (or even profit) I was expecting.

Old June 1st, 2011, 08:33 AM   #9
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekkakat View Post
It's just all very frustrating. I know he's good for the repairs and his mom/family is close to mine too, so it's not like he would stiff me, but still.. The bike isn't even paid for yet

Any way you look at it, my near mint 07' will never look as clean, and surely won't resell for the break even (or even profit) I was expecting.
Oh yeah I don't doubt how frustrating it is, and it puts you in kind of a weird spot with your best friend and your bike. You'll handle it whatever way works best though, that's how stuff goes.

I wouldn't worry about the resell. It's a Ninja 250 dude, they sell like hotcakes no matter what the condition. You could leave a steaming pile of poo on the seat for a week and I'm sure someone will give you what you want for it. Once you get it fixed up, there shouldn't be any signs of a lay-down.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 08:34 AM   #10
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmichRider View Post
Oh yeah I don't doubt how frustrating it is, and it puts you in kind of a weird spot with your best friend and your bike. You'll handle it whatever way works best though, that's how stuff goes.

I wouldn't worry about the resell. It's a Ninja 250 dude, they sell like hotcakes no matter what the condition. You could leave a steaming pile of poo on the seat for a week and I'm sure someone will give you what you want for it. Once you get it fixed up, there shouldn't be any signs of a lay-down.
Thanks Jacob. I kinda needed that reinsurance. I've got some plans for repair in mind so far.

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:17 AM   #11
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post
I would be a bit more harsh than the poster above me. He might have a chance at still being my friend, but he would damn well be responsible for the damage. The fact that you told him "he wasn't going to ride it" and he still did takes all the responsibility off of you. Friends are friends, but people have to be responsible for what they did. Not making him pay for repairs reinforces his "drinking problem". If anything having to pay will be better than the D.U.I. he should have gotten.
Oh don't get me wrong, I personally would want to get him to pay the bills. The only thing I was thinking about is how much his own medical bills are gonna cost him. In my mind he sounds like the type that wouldn't have health insurance and that bill will be way more then the bike repair costs. Also considering how the economy is at the moment, and knowing personally how an unexpected medical bill really throws things off, was just figuring the costs of both might be too much for the guy right now. I try to take in all factors and come up with a solution that helps all parties.

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:19 AM   #12
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, I personally would want to get him to pay the bills. The only thing I was thinking about is how much his own medical bills are gonna cost him. In my mind he sounds like the type that wouldn't have health insurance and that bill will be way more then the bike repair costs. Also considering how the economy is at the moment, and knowing personally how an unexpected medical bill really throws things off, was just figuring the costs of both might be too much for the guy right now. I try to take in all factors and come up with a solution that helps all parties.
You sir! Are best friend material.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:33 AM   #13
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

I'm going to depart a tad from everyone else here. Yes, the guy absolutely is responsible for paying to get your bike fixed. There's no doubt about that.

That being said, there's a huge divide between telling someone "You're not going to ride it." and turning off the bike and pulling the key. Coulda saved everyone involved a lot of heartache.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM   #14
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Its better that your friend learned a valuable lesson on 250 at 15 mph versus on a 600cc at 60 mph. Still, it was unfortunate that your bike had to do the teaching.
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM   #15
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
I'm going to depart a tad from everyone else here. Yes, the guy absolutely is responsible for paying to get your bike fixed. There's no doubt about that.

That being said, there's a huge divide between telling someone "You're not going to ride it." and turning off the bike and pulling the key. Coulda saved everyone involved a lot of heartache.
I was on the left hand side of the bike about 2 feet past arms reach of the bike at the time it happened. As soon as he sat down on the bike I started walking towards him telling him it wasn't a lesson in "riding".

He know's he was wrong for even getting on it, let alone the rest. He's 23, but still on his mom's insurance, so he'll be all good for the most part thank goodness.

Old June 1st, 2011, 10:55 AM   #16
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

You have an asshole for a friend. I really don't want to be mean about it but it was really an incredibly stupid thing to do (goes w/o saying I guess). I am glad to hear that he is going to be O.K.

If he is an alcoholic, like most alcoholics he will not take personal responsibility. Alcoholics by nature are very self centered and immature.

It does not help them by letting them off of the hook and not having to face the consequences of their actions.

This is how most people act around alcoholics - it’s called denial.

sorry... I will get off my soapbox.

Old June 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM   #17
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboros View Post
You have an asshole for a friend. I really don't want to be mean about it but it was really an incredibly stupid thing to do (goes w/o saying I guess). I am glad to hear that he is going to be O.K.

If he is an alcoholic, like most alcoholics he will not take personal responsibility. Alcoholics by nature are very self centered and immature.

It does not help them by letting them off of the hook and not having to face the consequences of their actions.

This is how most people act around alcoholics - it’s called denial.

sorry... I will get off my soapbox.
I've been friends with him for 15 years, and while I've never condoned drinking or drugs, I will agree that I've let him get too out of control with it as his best friend. I've told him time and time again about how distressed I am with his drinking and habits, but as I'm sure a lot of you know, this is hard to convey when a person has a *problem*.

I've already talked to my friends about a group sit down with him once he gets better. I'm really hoping he's learned something from this.

Old June 1st, 2011, 11:27 AM   #18
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

Yikes.
This is why I never ever let anyone get near my vehicles when it has the possibility of ignition and im not in the driver seat. Especially when they are being retarded and giving you that grin that says "im gonna smile at you and tell you im not gonna do anything but im DEFINITLY gonna do something".
Hell no.

Any of my vehicles could kill someone in less than 10 seconds, afterall only takes 7 to hit 80 on any of them. Shucks, I got nervous just handing my buddy my keys to let him grab something out of my car when it wasnt in my sight.

He is very lucky that your a good friend and that so many people were around to help him. I am sure he learned his lesson.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:17 AM   #19
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
I've let him get too out of control with it as his best friend.
He's your friend, so him being "out of control" is not really your responsibility. And not to put too fine a point on it, but eventually you will reach a point where you need to make a choice to either keep being friends, with all the assoicated baggage, or move on. I've been there and done that.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:21 AM   #20
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
He's your friend, so him being "out of control" is not really your responsibility. And not to put too fine a point on it, but eventually you will reach a point where you need to make a choice to either keep being friends, with all the assoicated baggage, or move on. I've been there and done that.
after as long as he's been my friend, and as long as he's been doing this kind of dumb stuff, so far I've put up with it until now. He's obviously not always like this, but at the same time, I feel like I need to confront him.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:10 AM   #21
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Annette

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
I told him he wasn't going to ride it, and he assured me he wouldn't
Whether or not you send him a bill for the repairs is really at your discretion. But if it were me, I would let my insurance handle it. If the insurance is willing to cover for the repairs and asks for the deductible, I would ask your friend to give you that amount. He told you he wouldn't ride it and then rode it anyway.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:21 AM   #22
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darling Ninja View Post
Whether or not you send him a bill for the repairs is really at your discretion. But if it were me, I would let my insurance handle it. If the insurance is willing to cover for the repairs and asks for the deductible, I would ask your friend to give you that amount. He told you he wouldn't ride it and then rode it anyway.
I have pretty low coverage, I'll be honest. I wouldn't want either of our premiums going up over something so retarded anyhow. He got out today, and is already looking at ways to pay me back..

He's actually offered twice now to pay off my bike in entirety (which I declined).

Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:06 PM   #23
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

It doesn't sound like the guy even could pay for the damages after the medical expenses and it sounds like a mess as far as insurance is concerned. Even if the OP has full coverage with uninsured motorist and could get it replaced for running himself into a wall, the insurance company would try to sue his friend to recoup their costs. Because it sounds like they are still friends, it doesn't really sound like an option.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #24
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

A few observations, bear in mind that I'm not friends with either of you, and have nothing to gain or lose:

1. You are not responsible for your friend's "drinking problem." He is an adult, it's not your fault if he can't stop himself. Period. End of discussion on that.

2. What the hell were you thinking letting a person who was impaired, in any fashion, sit on your bike? You are responsible in small part for this. However, I understand that if someone throws a leg over your bike, you can ignore it, tell them to get off, of physically remove them. Sometimes you're better off ignoring it than making a fuss over nothing.

3. Number 2 done yet? Now comes the bad one. You were absolutely, 100% in the wrong letting anyone on your bike with the key in it who does not have your permission to ride the bike. This is the equivalent of handing a person a loaded gun, and saying "don't shoot it." What were you thinking? Were you thinking? I can only hope you learn from the seriousness of this mistake, at the expense of your friends pain and the loss of riding time/money on repairs. If you are not responsible enough to keep your dangerous toys away away from irresponsible people, maybe you should not have them. You could have seen your friend easily kill himself (cracked skull, anyone) or someone else in the area with his riding, and it could have been prevented by you simply putting the key in your pocket. Motorcycles are not harmless toys, and their owners should have more respect for them. As the owner of the bike you can legally be held liable for damages or injuries caused by it, if you do not take reasonable precautions. Leaving the key in it and letting it run while a drunk person sits on it are not reasonable, regardless of what they are telling you.

Anyways, sucks about your bike, really sucks about your friend. I hope you can get both up and running right in timely fashion. Please be careful.

Old June 10th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #25
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

I totally understand and agree, but this all happened in like.. thirty seconds :/ he sat down, told me how he "knew how to ride" and popped off down the street. I understand everything you're saying though, and would have never have wanted or allowed something like this to happen.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 10th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #26
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddoak View Post
2. What the hell were you thinking letting a person who was impaired, in any fashion, sit on your bike? You are responsible in small part for this. However, I understand that if someone throws a leg over your bike, you can ignore it, tell them to get off, of physically remove them. Sometimes you're better off ignoring it than making a fuss over nothing.

3. Number 2 done yet? Now comes the bad one. You were absolutely, 100% in the wrong letting anyone on your bike with the key in it who does not have your permission to ride the bike. This is the equivalent of handing a person a loaded gun, and saying "don't shoot it." What were you thinking? Were you thinking? I can only hope you learn from the seriousness of this mistake, at the expense of your friends pain and the loss of riding time/money on repairs. If you are not responsible enough to keep your dangerous toys away away from irresponsible people, maybe you should not have them. You could have seen your friend easily kill himself (cracked skull, anyone) or someone else in the area with his riding, and it could have been prevented by you simply putting the key in your pocket. Motorcycles are not harmless toys, and their owners should have more respect for them. As the owner of the bike you can legally be held liable for damages or injuries caused by it, if you do not take reasonable precautions. Leaving the key in it and letting it run while a drunk person sits on it are not reasonable, regardless of what they are telling you.
Quote:
I was on the left hand side of the bike about 2 feet past arms reach of the bike at the time it happened. As soon as he sat down on the bike I started walking towards him telling him it wasn't a lesson in "riding".
From the sounds of it the guy hopped on the bike and popped the clutch when he saw an opening big enough to not be stopped in time. Doesn't sound to me like he just let him sit on the bike. More like, owner got off the bike, stepped off to side to give pointers to those he was instructing, and friend takes advantage of this by hopping on for a joy ride before owner could stop him.

The mistake here was being out of range of the bike for a few seconds. But I guarantee that most riders have started their bike and stepped away from it for more then a few seconds. You don't expect some drunk to just suddenly hop on it out of nowhere and pop the clutch before you can react.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm just making an observation and adding a different point of view.

Old June 10th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #27
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

That's actually very accurate as to what happened
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 11th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #28
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Quote:
That's actually very accurate as to what happened
Posted via Mobile Device
Then you know what, that sucked. You can't prevent every accident. Hopefully, someone else reads this thread and prevents one like it in the future.

Old June 11th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #29
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Show me your friends and I'll show you your future.

With that said, I hope everything gets straightened out!
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #30
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

you need some new friends or a new best friend.

Old June 12th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #31
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellca21 View Post
you need some new friends or a new best friend.
If my best friend took off on my bike without permission like that....

demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #32
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

that guy isn't a friend..he's a fool. make him pay and part ways with that guy before he hurts someone else or worse..
ungluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #33
BlackNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): '09 2fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungluck View Post
that guy isn't a friend..he's a fool. make him pay and part ways with that guy before he hurts someone else or worse..
Best response yet!
BlackNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #34
glock_19
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Green SE

Quote:
He's actually offered twice now to pay off my bike in entirety (which I declined).
Seriously, take the money. If he's a good friend he'll pay you for the damages that HE caused and you'll move on. If he pays you but is bitter for you holding him responsible for HIS stupid actions then he isn't a good friend anyways.
glock_19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #35
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Well I've been rebuilding my bike since all of this happens. You can see my progress here:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76285

I know the red is a bit much, but I'm just trying anything at the moment that isn't buying a new upper cowling and a set of pipes :/

On another, not so nice note, I'm really seeing the true colors of my "friend". I hate to make a story into a personal bit, but you guys have been very helpful and I figured a lot of you should know I should have taken your advice to begin with.

Basically, we share a practice space with a few bands here in the city, and pay space rent. The rent was due around the time he got hurt, and I've always payed the rent money to him, because I didn't know the exact date it was due. Long story short, lately the last thing I was thinking about was that stupid practice space, and apparently the rent was coming up (this past Sunday). He calls up our bassist and tells him to cover his share because he can't work and thus has no money (which isn't true at all, plus he's been going out almost every day). Then he got furious with our bassist because he said no because he didn't have the extra cash.

He starts texting me, telling, not asking, me to pay for his, and that I "should know" that it was due. I explained how I simply forgot, but told him that I didn't have any extra money either at the time, because I had spent a lot of money on fixing up the bike. I didn't mention anything about HIM not paying or even offering me any money, or how I didn't leave his side for 3 days in the hospital, getting him and his mom food and taking her back and forth from her house to the city (an hour round-trip) because she's older and intimidated by city driving. All of this cost money in food, gas, and so on. I don't feel like anything I said deserved any type of reaction like what I got.

He basically (just like this) replied:

OH, RUB IT IN MY FACE. THANK YOU. (this is the *first* time I've mentioned my bike..)
I'M SO SO SORRY I WRECKED YOU PRECIOUS BIKE. I'M SO SORRY.

then (and I'm not kidding, I'm writing this from the text..):

Well maybe if you were more responsible with your money, instead of blowing it all on a broken motorcycle, and budgeted your money better, you'd have some to help your hurt BEST FRIEND WITH. But what do I know?

/end

My response was that I didn't want to honor any of that with a response, and to not talk to me. I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I've lost a 15 year long friend over maybe $300 - $500 of money..

Old June 13th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #36
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

You didn't lose a friend. He isn't a friend. You are better without him. It hurts when you lose a friend like that but this issue isn't about money. Its about trust and responsibility, which he apparently has neither.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #37
sombo

Actually I would say you gained some enlightenment to his real self. He's the one that is losing. His actions and lack of planning or being responsible is what put him in the situation he is in. Don't bail him out, this is just what he needs to learn how his own actions are hurting everyone and not just himself.

Old June 13th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #38
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Either way, I feel slighted. My bike won't ever be up to par for me (I'm a perfectionist with stuff like that), and the loss of a long time friend bums me out.

Old June 13th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #39
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Lets be honest, if he's your best friend you're not going to straight up ask him for the repair charges, and considering you don't have full coverage going through the insurance company may not be a good option. Hopefully he'll voluntarily offer to pay for the damages, because the bottom line is..he messed up and he needs to take responsibility for his actions. As someone else mentioned, if he is an "alcoholic" then most likely he is not responsible enough to take such an action.

You're in quit a pickle here, you either have to fess up and talk to him about it or you're going to have to pay for the damages, either way...be prepared for let that friendship die, not saying it will, but just be prepared.

also, you have a 250...and its an 07, i'm not sure how much of a profit you could have made on this bike. i wouldn't worry too much about it.

EDIT: nevermind I saw your latest post. SUCKS! take his ass to court...what an ungrateful SOB!!!

Old June 13th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #40
shawn57187
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I would just plan on replacing most of those parts yourself. Your friend is obviously not going to be helping you much. I'd also upgrade your insurance policy after you get everything fixed.

Look at it this way, since you have a pre-gen... many of the parts will be cheaper. The pre-gens have also been in production longer, so there will be many more used parts out there to choose from.

I would buy fairings used and have them painted at a bodyshop. Replace the exhaust with a nice aftermarket slip-on. Used stock exhausts are also pretty cheap.

I know what it's like to be a perfectionist and it may take some time to get your bike back to 100% with a limited budget. Just because your bike doesn't look new doesn't mean you can't enjoy riding it. Next summer you could have it looking perfect again.