ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 14th, 2014, 06:58 AM   #1
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

Will loss of tread In the center reduce rain traction?

I use my bike mostly as an interstate commuter, 60 miles each way. Now the tread pattern is completely gone in the middle but not near the wear bars yet. Is this normal? Should I buy new tires? These have about 6,000 miles on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (107.2 KB, 23 views)
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2014, 07:08 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Normal yes, for mostly straight up miles. Is it effecting your traction? Sure it is. Those lines in the tread pattern channel the water away from the contact patch.

I personally think there is a bit more miles left in the tire but if you feel uncomfortable then change them as needed.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
That tire is toast IMO.

If you are doing primarily commuting, look into a Sport Touring tire that's designed for mileage and has a harder rubber compound in the center than the edges.

Most new tire designs, of all types, are going to multi-compound rubber so they can provide maximum grip when leaned-over but still give reasonable mileage overall.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2014, 07:27 AM   #4
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Thanks guys. I bought this tire before I found ninjette.org. The dealer said it was a cheap reliable tire. Shinko SR740/SR741.

Old March 14th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #5
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Go to a motorcycle scrap yard. Look at all the smashed bikes with bald tires. That tire should be replaced.

Old March 14th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
^ not where I thought you were headed with that from first few words

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Go to a motorcycle scrap yard. Look at all the smashed bikes with bald tires. That tire should be replaced.
That's my feeling on tires also. On a cycle it's absolutely a safety issue.

I'm picky about tires, and have replaces a complete set of 3-year-old car tires (Goodyears even) with less than 40,000 mi before because they had lost too much grip.

Tires don't last forever, even if they aren't worn down to the wear bars. The rubber will dry out and you will lose grip even with moderate use. After 4 or 5 years, no matter how much tread is left, a cycle tire should be replaced IMO.

Old March 14th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floki View Post
I use my bike mostly as an interstate commuter, 60 miles each way. Now the tread pattern is completely gone in the middle but not near the wear bars yet. Is this normal? Should I buy new tires? These have about 6,000 miles on them.
I have been rolling on the interstate with rear tires in worse condition than yours and in storms.

The rubber will not skid or slide as long as you don't turn sharp-fast or brake hard with the rear.

I never use the rear brake and the turns of the interstate have huge radii that put little lateral forces on the contact patches.

Hydroplaning is almost impossible for motorcycle tires because the contact patch is too small to trap and hold a continuous and thick layer of water.

The real problem is that the thickness of the tire in that zone gets very small; hence, the tire is potentially more susceptible to damage and sudden failure by cutting debris.

Once the cords show up, the coefficient of friction is greatly reduced and yes, skids or slides can happen, dry or wet.

Each manufacturer must leave some wear bars on the rolling surface of the tire that indicate the minimum recommended.
Once any portion of the surface gets flat with those bars, it is time to order new tires.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Once the cords show up, the coefficient of friction is greatly reduced and yes, skids or slides can happen, dry or wet.
If you ever get to that point you are firmly in the "asking for trouble" zone...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 14th, 2014, 09:58 AM   #10
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Alright thanks guys, think my next set might be BT45s. I've only had these tires since October. They were manufactured December 2012

Old March 14th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #11
b.miller123
ninjette.org member

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 1998 Ninja 250 2007 Yamaha R6 2003 Honda RC51... sold :(

Quote:
That tire is finished, and was actually finished a while ago. The wear bars you see near the edges of the tire don't just apply there. Imagine those same wear bars in the middle, you would have hit them a while ago (I imagine you did just that but didn't notice it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I have been rolling on the interstate with rear tires in worse condition than yours and in storms.

The rubber will not skid or slide as long as you don't turn sharp-fast or brake hard with the rear.

I never use the rear brake and the turns of the interstate have huge radii that put little lateral forces on the contact patches.

Hydroplaning is almost impossible for motorcycle tires because the contact patch is too small to trap and hold a continuous and thick layer of water.

The real problem is that the thickness of the tire in that zone gets very small; hence, the tire is potentially more susceptible to damage and sudden failure by cutting debris.

Each manufacturer must leave some wear bars on the rolling surface of the tire that indicate the minimum recommended.
Once any portion of the surface gets flat with those bars, it is time to order new tires.
Having tread is vital for a tire to function in the wet. His tires will absolutely skid or slide in this condition. Sure, you may never use the rear brake, but what happens when you get on the gas? And you don't need to be doing either of those for a slide to happen.

I'd consider hydroplaning as "less likely" on a motorcycle, not "almost impossible". I've done it numerous times.

The Coefficient of friction is going to be much less long before the cords show up.
b.miller123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #12
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): '14 Honda NC700X; '14 Honda CRF250L; '07 Lifan 200

Quote:
Thanks guys. I bought this tire before I found ninjette.org. The dealer said it was a cheap reliable tire. Shinko SR740/SR741.
I ran through a couple of sets of Shinkos on my old Hayabusa and on my Ninja 250. I just bought some for my 300 but have not put them on yet. I never had any problems from them nor any complaints. I got around 7k miles out of rear tires, way more out of fronts. They look good to me and I never had any slipping, sliding, or any other such issues with them. In fact, they truly seemed best on my Hayabusa...they felt soooo sticky on that bike. If you push your bike to its limits then maybe a better set of tires would keep you safer. If your max is at a fun spirited under control pace, then these tires should do you fine....especially for the price.

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!
vman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2014, 11:06 AM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
............His tires will absolutely skid or slide in this condition............
The Coefficient of friction is going to be much less long before the cords show up.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 14th, 2014, 11:16 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^^ bwahahahahahahah
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote