ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old April 4th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #1
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Don't you hate it when everyone else is right?

Story time. Get comfy. I'll add the TLDR at the bottom for you.

Per the general consensus, I parked the bike in the garage to wait for the MSF class. Over the course of the week, I ignored the bike. Weather got nicer... and nicer... and nicer. No excuses for my decisions. I decided I would take a trip to grandma's house. It's been months since I've seen her, 30 miles, nice mix of roads for experience, beautiful weather, just every reason in the book to go. So I left my house at 8oclock, played around for about an hour to make sure everything was ok before the ride and headed out.

First time on the highway, about 7 miles, medium traffic, windy. Grinning ear to ear at 65-70 miles an hour. After that, it was 20 something miles of gorgeous back mountain roads. I've been through here alot, always in a car. It was a whole new experience this time.

On one side, a trickling creek is enjoying its long awaited freedom from the ice. On the other, 10 foot icicles still cling to the mountain wall, as winter refuses to release its final hold where the sun can't reach to claim its place. Beams of late morning light shine through the trees and paint everything with the brightest colors of early spring. As the sweeping curves came up ahead of me, the bike dropped in line with such ease it was like I was a passenger, just enjoying the ride. It felt amazing. It felt free. Alone on the road, the bike and I picked our speed how we saw fit. We chose our lines for every curve and turn together. It was comfortable. It was every definition of the word peaceful. In my mind, I traced my lines and remembered everything I had read. Outside, inside, outside. Find you apex. If you need to shift, do it before the turn. Lean and roll on throttle. Look through the turn with your head and eyes. Scan the road ahead. Check your mirrors. Clear? Know where your going? Check them again. Brake, clutch, downshift, release, lean, roll, look. Peaceful.

Then it changes. As I come around a wide sweeping curve, looking ahead reveals that traffic is stopped and they are doing construction. Men with flags saying "slow" and "stop" are now in charge of where and when I can go. And it isn't just me anymore. 3 cars in front and after 15 minutes of sitting there, a dozen cars pile up behind. Not a concern for me. I still have 10 miles before I have to get off this road.

When the new gods of traffic in reflective vests decide it's our turn, the signs switch to slow and the line of cars and one kid on a motorcycle proceed to crawl forward, past the construction. The sign god throws up a "hang loose" sign as I ride past and I wave in response. Back to the road. Let's clear these cars out. Everyone speeds on this road. So, run the speed limit and the cars in front will be long gone in a matter of minutes. Pick a comfortable 5 miles over after that and the cars behind will stay content. The one straight away with any visibility is coming up and thats when I heard the animalistic sound of a diesel engine. Looking in my mirror, I see a Ford on the wrong side of the road, blasting past the cars in line. I slow down. Let him get in front and go. I don't need him behind me. Apparently, "slow down" was everyone's response as the visibility ahead disappeared behind another curve. The Ford twitches into line right behind me.

Another couple of miles and I'll be turning. He'll be gone. The two of us will separate with no qualms, questions, or contributions. As I started climbing the hill, knowing that I need to turn left halfway down the next, I signal early, flash my brake lights repeatedly, and check my mirror. The Ford is so close now that I can’t see his grill behind me. As I look through the windshield of the truck, I see the back of a phone. He isn’t even looking at me and I need to go from 55MPH to comfortable 90degree turn speed in the next 20 seconds. I try braking gently while looking in my mirror and he only gets closer. Not pushing me, just not seeing me. Dangerously close now, at 50 mph. I have to turn now. I know this bike will do more than I am comfortable with. Just squeeze cheeks, shift over, right leg against the tank, roll throttle, look through turn… look through turn…

The road I am turning on is nothing but gravel, mud, and small patches of snow. All I could think is that won’t hold. Brake and you’re going down. Stay leaned this far and you are going down. Too fast. Won’t hold. Looking back on it, I don’t think I hit a panic stage, because I could still think and act in a logical manner. I knew I had to get the bike vertical before I could brake. I knew I needed to shave off some speed. I did both. Using both brakes and squeezing slow, like the trigger of a gun. I managed to get it down to about 25-30mph but I just wasn’t aimed at the road anymore. Rode passed a sign, over the snow and mud, and into a ditch.

Bike Damage report. All Clutch Side. The tail section of the fairing is broken. Like, missing pieces kind of broken. The frame slider bent back far enough to put a small break in the main fairing. Entire main fairing is lightly scratched from the side of the ditch. Shifter was bent completely in.

Me Damage report. Leg is sore.

A nice man, by the name of Hal, happened to drive past just as I got the bike out of the ditch. Started the bike, used my hand to shift to first and rode the quarter mile behind him to his house. Took the shifter off, put it in his vice, and manhandled it back into place. Good guy. I owe him a beer.

We put the shifter back on and I finished my ride to Grandma's, visited, rode the 30 miles back home. Took the roommate's cage to work.

Conclusion. I could blame anyone I want, but this, in the end, is my fault. I could've kept going past the turn, waited, and turned around. I didn't HAVE to take the turn. I could've kept going. I forced myself into a situation that I wasn't experienced enough for. I also didn't even look to where I was going until I had already leaned in. I commited before I knew where I was commiting to. Above all, if I would've just stayed off the bike as suggested by EVERYBODY, none of this would've happened.

TLDR:
Didn't listen to anyone, rode the bike, crashed, my fault. Im ok.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

Old April 4th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #2
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Glad you are ok and the bike is rideable. Your assessment of what you should have done is exactly what I was thinking while reading your post.

Never willingly yield control of your machine due to the actions of another operator. You allowed the inattentive Ford driver to push you into an action that threatened your safety.

FYI, here's a tip for tailgaters that works about 80% of the time for me. Extend the left hand down, palm to the rear and s l o w l y make a waving motion from front to rear. Repeat 2-3 times. If they back off, thank them with a thumbs up gesture. If they don't, make sure you have plenty of extra stopping distance between you and any vehicle in front of you. You may need it in case of an emergency. Turn off or pull over at the first safe opportunity and let the tailgater by. Continue on your ride when it is safe.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 4th, 2014, 03:21 AM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
streetfighter conversion time?
though it is the start of the season, that sucks man
If your leg still hurts over the next few days you may want to get it checked out, particularly if it's the knee that's hurting.
I do admit though, that had to absolutely suck to look back and see a truck behind you tailgating you and he isn't even looking at the road. I'd have been gone like dust in a tornado but you haven't gotten comfortable enough with the bike for that yet. Not to mention PA roads suck with gravel everywhere.

^ the above advice for dealing with a tailgater also works wonders
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 04:48 AM   #4
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Never willingly yield control of your machine due to the actions of another operator.
I'm not sure if I'm just misinterpreting your post, but I have to disagree with this, as I read it (mostly the Never part). We're on a motorcycle. You do have to willingly yield to larger vehicles, all the time. Dead is dead, whether you had the right of way or not.

In this situation where an inexperienced rider is being pressured to ride faster than they would like due to a tailgater, I'd suggest pulling off on the side of the road and letting traffic pass. Telling the guy behind you to slow down doesn't get rid of the fact that he still wants to go faster than you, and that's in the back of your head the whole time. It might have been a good idea to pull off after the construction site, when everyone was going slow and attentive, and just get in the back of the line. Having that pressure to go faster is not going to help anything.

I don't think it was the lack of the MSF course that caused the accident. This could have happened before or after, this is an experience outside of what they teach you there. You take turns at a maximum of 15 mph. There is no traffic. This is more of a "learning to deal with traffic" than anything else. It will go away with time as you ride more on the street.

Stay confident, get back on the horse.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 05:22 AM   #5
Ginganinja
pregens for the win!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250, 07 yamaha r6

Sorry that you crashed, its very unfortunate, I hope it will turn into a learning experience and that you will repair the bike, heal up and get back on it as soon as possible.

On a separate note.... that had to have been one of the most elegant posts I have ever read. If you decide to quit riding a motorcycle, which i completely discourage, i would strongly suggest pursuing a career in writing or journalism. You sir have a gift, and i was thoroughly entertained and mesmorized by your account of the whole story.

Last futzed with by Ginganinja; April 6th, 2014 at 06:28 PM.
Ginganinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
First off panicking isn't the the loss of being able to think, panicking is the result of thinking all the wrong things.

I'm going to sound like a D**K here but don't take it to personally. I hate on all slow people who can't control their machine(car or bike) at least half as well as me and have the opinion all those morons shouldn't be on the road at all.

I've always wondered why slow people do slow things in odd ways that they do. It seems they spend 50% of the time focusing at what the people behind them are doing instead of spending more attention on what they are doing. They way be a causality of slow people getting passed all the time and if they are a slow person who doesn't have the common consideration to let other faster people by when convinient then they are probably passed all the time aggressively. Call it strange but I'd think focusing ahead of you only 50% of the time could make things aproaching you hard to take in and make going the speed limit or at the natural flow of traffic seem to fast. I always wondered what went through the mind of that guy in the middle of a line of cars was thinking when you suddenly decided to hit the brakes for no apparent reason as I was passing on the left.

Contrary to general public view the faster drivers tend to focus on many more things at a much faster rate then the slow driver just following the person in front of them. For example when I'm passing cars I'm looking ahead in the on oming lane, I'm looking at each drivers body English as I aproach to pass for any indication they my suddenly pull out to pass as well, I'm looking horizon of the road ahead for any debris or animals that may cause the line of cars I'm passing to take evasive action. That's a lot of stuff I'm taking in and when I was planning to tuck back in line in front of say our OP for example but then as I get closer he decides to start braking suddenly when no one in front of him is doing likewise. Now I start to think he has seen something I haven't and he may need to swerve to dodge on object. In this time I may have slowed my passing speed so now my original plan to safely pass 5 cars doesn't leave enough safety margin so I'll just pass 4 cars instead and wait for another safe spot to pass again, thus ending up right behind the OP like he didn't want because he did something unnecessary. Now this is all conjecture based on my experiences and although it may not play out as smoothly as I described all the time, I assure you it does most the time.

Also note that not all people who drive fast or are willing to pass on the left(right if your in a back asswards country) are in a hurry or upset in any way. Some if not most of us fast people simply find the speed at which your driving slower then we want to go and simply want to get around you as safely as possible so we can both drive our own speeds comfortably, I know the OP understands most of this.

Like I said earlier don't take it personally I'm not attacking you, you weren't at fault entirely but you sure didn't help your situation with how your mind handled the unfolding situation. The driver behind you isn't entirely at fault ether but like you his tailgating was helping things play out safely ether. When you were extra focused on the driver behind you and started backing off on the throttle to slow down gradually, the driver was probably considering passing you on the left because your now going slower. If you signal to early the driver behind you may think your lost and forgot to turn it back off or they may get used to it and no longer notice it(motorcycle blinkers are very big or bright). One thing that stands out and catches the attention of all are hand signals, they are seldom left on and tend to mean an immediate intention so driver tend to heed them more. Just before applying your brakes you can toss out a quick left arm turning left gesture along with your blinker and brake light and then you've done everything possible. If the driver behind you is going to rear end you after all that(probably 1 in a million chance) then there little you can do besides skipping the turn and continuing strait. Honestly you'd have a higher risk in your situation off someone trying to pass you on the left when you went to go turn then someone simply rear ending you, so a quick check for overtaking cars right before you turn is never a bad idea.

As for wether or not you could have made the turn without standing the bike up into the ditch or if the MSF class would have help you in this case is impossible for us here to say. We weren't there so we didn't see the conditions so all we can do is give opinions. Take what we say as a whole combined with what you experience and is you learn something from it then that's the silver lining.

Glad your safe so let's try and keep it that way.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old April 4th, 2014, 06:18 AM   #7
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Times 1000% Rojo, i completely agree with everything you said.
It is so true that slow people think slowly and quick people think on a much much faster level.
Fast people are like chess players in thinking in many moves ahead of what a slow person does.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 06:24 AM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
^ some of this...( I didn't read the whole thing )

But if you could see that the guy was on his phone through your mirrors then you were not paying enough attention to what was going on in front of you IMO. It should have been assumed the turn was going to be gravel and ****, any one who lives in PA knows this.

Signal early, flash brakes, migrate close to either center double yellow or outside white line (which ever direction you are turning) to allow some buffer space for an idiot to get by if something goes wrong. Slow down steadily to a good speed and check for overtakers before making the turn.

^probably what I would have done... or at least something like that.

Glad you are ok, and try and take something away from this

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 06:32 AM   #9
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
Times 1000% Rojo, i completely agree with everything you said.
It is so true that slow people think slowly and quick people think on a much much faster level.
Fast people are like chess players in thinking in many moves ahead of what a slow person does.
I kinda wonder if it is just the pace that makes one just more alert about what you are doing, not so much you think faster than anyone else?

When I am by myself and driving spirited my mind is constantly cycling and 100% focused on the task at hand and if I get slowed down by someone for even a second or slow pace for another reason I feel like my brain/body needs something else to do just to keep things moving and computing quickly and I generally find myself subconsciously tapping my index and middle fingers very rapidly on the shifter (if a car) and the clutch if a bike.

But when I am driving around with my family it is completely different, and I feel my driving is much worse, not so much the distraction of other people in the vehicle but because I am going so slow it is boring to my brain and I am left with the ability to day dream about things other than what I am actually doing (driving) and the loss of focus is the distraction and my driving suffers.

interesting thoughts...

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Sorry bout the crash and hope your leg doesn't give ya any trouble. Good luck fixin' up the bike too. Also, I am crossing my fingers that your leg will be 100% for taking the MSF you have planned. Getting back on soon will be good thing.

Enjoy your MSF, and when you get back to the street let's have a chat about "having an escape route on hand" at all times.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #11
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

When i started racing R/C cars i was told, slower is faster!
There is not a more true statement that can ever be made.
Your mind is not capable of processing all the information fast enough to keep up, and when you have to think about something you will always allow doubt to creep in and make a wrong decision. The saying from those at the top are always feeling as if your in slow mo, because you mind is capable of processing so much more information in a much shorter period of time along with knowing what to do without thinking about it. The point of slower is faster is to give you time to learn how to process all the information quickly enough without having to think about it. i suck at explaining things so i hope the jist of what i am saying is understood.

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:26 AM   #12
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Time to upgrade and get an R6 seahorse.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #13
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Lots of stuff about fast drivers.
At least around here (Oregon). This stuff is mostly not true. Some fast drivers are very aware, you can tell them by their smoothness in driving. Most fast drivers are not aware of much. They jerk from lane to lane, brake wildly for signals and such, slow down too much for changes like turns and intersections. They'll jerk back and forth between lanes on a freeway completely oblivious that they're actually losing ground.

Besides, the guy behind the OP was on the phone, he wasn't paying attention to diddly.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Glad you're OK, sorry about the bike. We have a poll for you....

I Have Crashed/Dropped My Ninjette...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #15
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
You need a go pro... You might have won an award.

Hate ya wrecked, it happens.
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #16
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
I'm not sure if I'm just misinterpreting your post, but I have to disagree with this, as I read it (mostly the Never part). We're on a motorcycle. You do have to willingly yield to larger vehicles, all the time. Dead is dead, whether you had the right of way or not.
I can understand your confusion. I stated never to yield control of his bike, not the right-of-way, which may be what you thought. I got the impression that the truck driver's actions were dictating how he was riding, and that was a mistake on his part. When a rider's in the seat, they need to be in control.

Any rider that refuses to yield the right-of-way to another vehicle, even when they have the right-of-way, isn't going to last long on the street. Cagers always win in a cage/bike confrontation.

Old April 4th, 2014, 09:37 AM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
I got the impression that the truck driver's actions were dictating how he was riding

Old April 4th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #18
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I can understand your confusion. I stated never to yield control of his bike, not the right-of-way, which may be what you thought. I got the impression that the truck driver's actions were dictating how he was riding, and that was a mistake on his part. When a rider's in the seat, they need to be in control.

Any rider that refuses to yield the right-of-way to another vehicle, even when they have the right-of-way, isn't going to last long on the street. Cagers always win in a cage/bike confrontation.
Agreed... Just a misinterpretation. I figured as much.

Old April 4th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #19
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

Nice story Kevin. I think you've already hit on what you've done wrong and had some good advice on how it can be prevented in the future.

I've found if I have room on a high speed, high traffic road, when making a right turn, pulling off to the shoulder (if one is present and it's clean and safe to do so) before or while decelerating for a right turn can sometimes be a good option.

Here's an example: The speed limit is 65mph and this is a fairly regularly traveled road that is considered a freeway in some places, but will have an "end freeway" sign where there are intersections like this. If I have a pack of speeding traffic behind me I will move to the right side of the white line to slow to make the right turn on the twisty road to the right (the rumble strip looks bad but the first time I ran over it I realized I can barely even feel it on the Ninja).

Another viable option when I know the turn is approaching, and something I tend to do anyway, is to speed up to find a gap in traffic. Put an adequate buffer zone between yourself and the person behind you before making the turn if possible. On the 2-laners that can be hard when you're stuck in the middle of a pack of slow cars. Solution: Try to avoid packs of slow cars (which it sounds like you were trying to do, but it didn't work this time).

If you have a picture or street view the intersection others may be able to offer more advice, or at least how screwed you were.
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #20
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@Kscreations08: After reading your write-up I feel somewhat like I experienced your ride and your crash!

Glad you're ok. I think it's a sketchy period, when you start out riding. Sounds like you're on the right path though. So much fun and learning ahead of you! I hope you get lots of those feelings you got at the start of your ride and not so many of the ones at the end.

I remember when I started riding. I was going slow enough to hold up traffic but felt like I was flying along lol. It was great though; those first months were really exhilarating.

If you keep a good attitude while riding and learn from the knowledgeable folk here you'll keep the tyre side down for the rest of your early riding years.

Tail-gaters suck.

Tail-gaters on phones are ***** ******** *** ******* *** ***** ****.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #21
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

KS, Sorry to hear about yor crash. I'm glad you weren't hurt badly and that your moto is repairable. Lots of good advice posted, too bad we still have to learn the hard way sometimes.

Old April 5th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #22
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
damn, sorry to hear this. it sounds like you were wearing gear so that's good.

if someone is tailgating me like this, I just find the nearest place to turn right, and make the turn, even if it's into someone's driveway, even if I have to be over the white line on the side of the road for a sec. even if no one's tailgating me but there are cars behind me and I'm distracted by them, I'll pull over and let them pass. I just don't like to be near cars.

I wonder if you'd used your horn, if he would have looked around and saw you were flashing your brake lights and had your signal on. just a thought.

always sorry to hear about a ninjette hitting the ground but it sounds like the first part of your ride was incentive enough for you to fix up your bike and get back on
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #23
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Sucks to hear man but you've gotten some good advice so far. Hopefully you learn from it. This kinda thing is one of the reasons I have a custom LED tail light. Its really bright and strobes when you pull the lever. Very hard to ignore.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #24
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
He who can take criticism constructively will learn much - Rojoracing53

Looks like you'll be fine. You're able to step back from an accident and analyze it with a level head. This helps you to see what went wrong and give you and opportunity to learn from your mistake, rather than just blaming the bike. That's more than a lot of noobie riders can do. Welcome to a period of enlightenment on the bike, where you actually learn your mistakes and make efforts to improve them through feedback and constructive critcism.

I'm glad you're alright as well. Crashing is no fun.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #25
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscreations08 View Post
..........TLDR:
I am sorry for your fall and happy for your ability to write so well.

Transitions from good to bad surfaces are always complicated and usually require reducing speed to almost zero.

The way to grow in street riding is:
1) Learn to control the bike well (emphasis on emergency swerving and stopping).
2) Learn to control the bike in every difficult situation.
3) Venture into traffic only when the bike has become an extension of your body (mental control without thinking).
4) Ride without thinking about the bike or the road or the traffic: total awareness and control without the interference of though.

You don't need to work on your bike (ugly scars are OK) until you finish working on the rider.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...09&postcount=1

Ride much, ride well, listen to others and learn passionately = To live

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #26
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '11 CBR250R, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

KS,

That was a beautiful recollection of that ride. You are very articulate. I am glad you were not injured more severely, and hope you heal up quickly. If you are only sore, then that is probably all you will suffer out of the wreck.

However, it did show another possible issue to your being a new rider-be careful to not pay too much attention to the thrill of the ride. Learn to ride first, nail down the mechanics and make the advice given above habit, then absorb all that riding offers. That may sound like it is coming from a grumpy old man (which my wife calls me all the time) but it will help you to grow as a rider.

One thing I do with extreme tailgaters is give the slow down wave, and if it doesn't work, I point as quickly as is safe, straight to them, and give the slow down wave a second time. That usually works. If it doesn't, I slow down a good bit safely to get them aware of me, and then leave them in the dust. Or you can pull over, just be sure to do it in a place where you can safely rejoin traffic.

Another thing is if they are inattentive, beep your horn at them. A nice mod you may want to consider, if you haven't done it already, is install a louder, more effective horn on the ninja. If cagers hear a cager or louder horn, they will look.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #27
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Story time. Get comfy. I'll add the TLDR at the bottom for you.

Per the general consensus, I parked the bike in the garage to wait for the MSF class. Over the course of the week, I ignored the bike. Weather got nicer... and nicer... and nicer. No excuses for my decisions. I decided I would take a trip to grandma's house. It's been months since I've seen her, 30 miles, nice mix of roads for experience, beautiful weather, just every reason in the book to go. So I left my house at 8oclock, played around for about an hour to make sure everything was ok before the ride and headed out.

First time on the highway, about 7 miles, medium traffic, windy. Grinning ear to ear at 65-70 miles an hour. After that, it was 20 something miles of gorgeous back mountain roads. I've been through here alot, always in a car. It was a whole new experience this time.

On one side, a trickling creek is enjoying its long awaited freedom from the ice. On the other, 10 foot icicles still cling to the mountain wall, as winter refuses to release its final hold where the sun can't reach to claim its place. Beams of late morning light shine through the trees and paint everything with the brightest colors of early spring. As the sweeping curves came up ahead of me, the bike dropped in line with such ease it was like I was a passenger, just enjoying the ride. It felt amazing. It felt free. Alone on the road, the bike and I picked our speed how we saw fit. We chose our lines for every curve and turn together. It was comfortable. It was every definition of the word peaceful. In my mind, I traced my lines and remembered everything I had read. Outside, inside, outside. Find you apex. If you need to shift, do it before the turn. Lean and roll on throttle. Look through the turn with your head and eyes. Scan the road ahead. Check your mirrors. Clear? Know where your going? Check them again. Brake, clutch, downshift, release, lean, roll, look. Peaceful.

Then it changes. As I come around a wide sweeping curve, looking ahead reveals that traffic is stopped and they are doing construction. Men with flags saying "slow" and "stop" are now in charge of where and when I can go. And it isn't just me anymore. 3 cars in front and after 15 minutes of sitting there, a dozen cars pile up behind. Not a concern for me. I still have 10 miles before I have to get off this road.

When the new gods of traffic in reflective vests decide it's our turn, the signs switch to slow and the line of cars and one kid on a motorcycle proceed to crawl forward, past the construction. The sign god throws up a "hang loose" sign as I ride past and I wave in response. Back to the road. Let's clear these cars out. Everyone speeds on this road. So, run the speed limit and the cars in front will be long gone in a matter of minutes. Pick a comfortable 5 miles over after that and the cars behind will stay content. The one straight away with any visibility is coming up and thats when I heard the animalistic sound of a diesel engine. Looking in my mirror, I see a Ford on the wrong side of the road, blasting past the cars in line. I slow down. Let him get in front and go. I don't need him behind me. Apparently, "slow down" was everyone's response as the visibility ahead disappeared behind another curve. The Ford twitches into line right behind me.

Another couple of miles and I'll be turning. He'll be gone. The two of us will separate with no qualms, questions, or contributions. As I started climbing the hill, knowing that I need to turn left halfway down the next, I signal early, flash my brake lights repeatedly, and check my mirror. The Ford is so close now that I can’t see his grill behind me. As I look through the windshield of the truck, I see the back of a phone. He isn’t even looking at me and I need to go from 55MPH to comfortable 90degree turn speed in the next 20 seconds. I try braking gently while looking in my mirror and he only gets closer. Not pushing me, just not seeing me. Dangerously close now, at 50 mph. I have to turn now. I know this bike will do more than I am comfortable with. Just squeeze cheeks, shift over, right leg against the tank, roll throttle, look through turn… look through turn…

The road I am turning on is nothing but gravel, mud, and small patches of snow. All I could think is that won’t hold. Brake and you’re going down. Stay leaned this far and you are going down. Too fast. Won’t hold. Looking back on it, I don’t think I hit a panic stage, because I could still think and act in a logical manner. I knew I had to get the bike vertical before I could brake. I knew I needed to shave off some speed. I did both. Using both brakes and squeezing slow, like the trigger of a gun. I managed to get it down to about 25-30mph but I just wasn’t aimed at the road anymore. Rode passed a sign, over the snow and mud, and into a ditch.

Bike Damage report. All Clutch Side. The tail section of the fairing is broken. Like, missing pieces kind of broken. The frame slider bent back far enough to put a small break in the main fairing. Entire main fairing is lightly scratched from the side of the ditch. Shifter was bent completely in.

Me Damage report. Leg is sore.

A nice man, by the name of Hal, happened to drive past just as I got the bike out of the ditch. Started the bike, used my hand to shift to first and rode the quarter mile behind him to his house. Took the shifter off, put it in his vice, and manhandled it back into place. Good guy. I owe him a beer.

We put the shifter back on and I finished my ride to Grandma's, visited, rode the 30 miles back home. Took the roommate's cage to work.

Conclusion. I could blame anyone I want, but this, in the end, is my fault. I could've kept going past the turn, waited, and turned around. I didn't HAVE to take the turn. I could've kept going. I forced myself into a situation that I wasn't experienced enough for. I also didn't even look to where I was going until I had already leaned in. I commited before I knew where I was commiting to. Above all, if I would've just stayed off the bike as suggested by EVERYBODY, none of this would've happened.

TLDR:
I am very sorry to hear that you have crashed. I am also very glad that you are OK (minus the sore leg). I will not say I told you so but I will say that I did the same thing when I was in the same position you were. I knew I should wait to ride till I had taken the course but the temptation was too strong! I totally understand. My ride resulted in a high side and a fractured wrist but I still rode the bike home. You have had a bad experience but you walked away from it relatively unharmed. Learn as I did from this incident and you will be a better ride for it! You may have learned something from MSF course which would have saved you from the crash but you would have definitely learned what to look for and how to avoid this very situation. Like I said to you before "It is your choice to ride or not" (before you take the course) they will not only teach you how to properly operate your bike but how to think while you ride and where to look for danger. Reading the description of your crash and the moments before I truly believe you could have easily avoided this incident with proper instruction.
I hope you are really ok and have learned a bit in the process. I made the same decisions as you and I survived you need to choose wisely as to what you will do next. Best of luck in fixing your bike up (now would be a great time for some mods) and I hope you fully heal. I hope you get to the class soon so you can return to riding as a educated and skilled rider. Keep us posted as to your progress.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #28
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '11 CBR250R, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Hey I just forgot something-you now qualify to move up to an r6!

I don't know what Kawasaki's phobia is to not paint any bikes yellow anymore...
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #29
chillbr0412
ninjette.org member

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2005 ZX10R

Ahhhh sorry about the crash man. It could of been worse just learn from this experience and let it be a lesson. I can't stand tailgaters
chillbr0412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #30
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Went into my shell

Sorry I haven't updated any info. It's been a war zone in my life lately with this crash. A whole lot of "I told you so" and "you're lucky you're not dead". Final result to it all, selling the bike. Not something I want to do but I don't get much say on it. Technically it is still the Babymom's. It's in her name. So she is selling it. I'm tired of the fighting about this. So here's the skinny. I quit fighting. I put my foot down (sort of). Her arguement is that the bike is in her name. My rebuttal is that I'll just buy my own then. My money, my bike. I decide what I ride and when I ride and where I ride. Miss Creations has all of these issues with me dying on a motorcycle. But I refuse to sit in a box and wait to die because I'll be safer in there. We aren't guaranteed life or any amount of time living. So here's the kicker. What kind of bike do I buy. I qualify for an R6 now lol but lets be for real. I'll buy a good life insurance plan too

Old April 9th, 2014, 03:01 AM   #31
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2014, 04:33 AM   #32
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

300 Would be a good choice, anything larger and you'll play into her fears.

Old April 9th, 2014, 05:15 AM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Sorry I haven't updated any info. It's been a war zone in my life lately with this crash. A whole lot of "I told you so" and "you're lucky you're not dead". Final result to it all, selling the bike. Not something I want to do but I don't get much say on it. Technically it is still the Babymom's. It's in her name. So she is selling it. I'm tired of the fighting about this. So here's the skinny. I quit fighting. I put my foot down (sort of). Her arguement is that the bike is in her name. My rebuttal is that I'll just buy my own then. My money, my bike. I decide what I ride and when I ride and where I ride. Miss Creations has all of these issues with me dying on a motorcycle.
Ummm, wasn't there a couple of threads on just this subject matter? And... "My money" rarely works well with wives. ijs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
300 Would be a good choice, anything larger and you'll play into her fears.
My wife hates when I grid up the r6 knowing I will hit 160mph. Having been through this myself... I would bet the source of the problem is not the bike, it's more of "going to play in the road" with minimal protection and skills. "Play" being the keyword there. Once the issue of "seriousness, safety & preservation of the rider" is addressed and handled, the bike, no matter what it is becomes an afterthought, unless.... it's a budget issue.

Old April 9th, 2014, 05:53 AM   #34
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Ummm, wasn't there a couple of threads on just this subject matter? And... "My money" rarely works well with wives. ijs

My wife hates when I grid up the r6 knowing I will hit 160mph. Having been through this myself... I would bet the source of the problem is not the bike, it's more of "going to play in the road" with minimal protection and skills. "Play" being the keyword there. Once the issue of "seriousness, safety & preservation of the rider" is addressed and handled, the bike, no matter what it is becomes an afterthought, unless.... it's a budget issue.
I don't know, it sounds like a wife that doesn't want him to ride issue to me. I vote new wife but that could be much more expensive then a new bike

The deviant in me says to get a friend to buy the bike from her then after you take the MSF class you go buy it back from said friend. Although the fact that you got whipped into selling the bike by your wife in the first place may make it hard to find a friend willing to trust you'll follow through with the deal.

I good reason to keep your bike or get something similar is based on your experience, you'll probably have at least another mirror drop or mistake in your first year of riding so getting another bike in cherry condition could hurt all over again.

Old April 9th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #35
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Only person who knows is his wife. Therefor, I submit the following attachment.
Question: How is the leg?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sportbike-Rider-What-I-Do.jpg (92.8 KB, 40 views)

Old April 9th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #36
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
The deviant in me says to get a friend to buy the bike from her then after you take the MSF class you go buy it back from said friend. Although the fact that you got whipped into selling the bike by your wife in the first place may make it hard to find a friend willing to trust you'll follow through with the deal.
Its called a compromise Rojo You shouldv'e been there for the arguement. I told her exactly how I feel.
She was all like "No! This is so stupid! You'll kill yourself on that thing and I won't let this happen! I'm selling the bike. It's in my name still so I can do that!"
And then I really let her have it. I said yes honey...

Just kidding. Don't get me wrong here. I definitely accepted an ass beating for this whole situation just to keep the woman happy. But she knows that I am getting a bike. And I'll keep fighting to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Question: How is the leg?
Thanks for the concern Csmith. Leg is good. Only thing that hurts is my pride, the knowedge that I won't be riding for a while, and my back. My back isn't really from the wreck though. At 5'4" and 130 lbs, dragging that bike out of a 6' ditch really tweaked something. The good news is that Miss Creations is a Massage Therapist

Old April 9th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #37
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Its called a compromise Rojo You shouldv'e been there for the arguement. I told her exactly how I feel.
She was all like "No! This is so stupid! You'll kill yourself on that thing and I won't let this happen! I'm selling the bike. It's in my name still so I can do that!"
And then I really let her have it. I said yes honey...

Just kidding. Don't get me wrong here. I definitely accepted an ass beating for this whole situation just to keep the woman happy. But she knows that I am getting a bike. And I'll keep fighting to ride.

Thanks for the concern Csmith. Leg is good. Only thing that hurts is my pride, the knowedge that I won't be riding for a while, and my back. My back isn't really from the wreck though. At 5'4" and 130 lbs, dragging that bike out of a 6' ditch really tweaked something. The good news is that Miss Creations is a Massage Therapist
Don't worry, if your humor is still intact enough to not get offended by my style of humorous backhanded comments then you'll get through this just fine. Be sure to let us all know when you get through that MSF class and buy your R6

Old April 10th, 2014, 04:57 AM   #38
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I told her exactly how I feel.
Sounds like you either have a wife that's ready to leave you, or one to hang on to.

Either way, personally I'd tread lightly with the new bike. Take the MSF course before you buy a new bike. Show her that you're dedicated to riding more safely. Maybe she'll come around and not sell the bike after all. Just make sure she understands how much it means to you (if it does mean a lot to you).

My largest passion in life is back-country snowboarding. Avalanche terrain. My wife was very vocal about her concerns. After that I took another class, bought and read a few books, and hired a guide my next time out. After that, things calmed down and I'm back to enjoying my passion. I feel that once she saw my dedication and that I did what I could to address her concerns, she accepted it.

after the snowboarding thing, I followed a similar path to get into motorcycling and everything was a breeze, minimal discussion.

Old April 10th, 2014, 12:27 PM   #39
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Riding is all about minimizing risk. Some of the things that convinced my wife that I was serious about minimizing risk was taking the MSF basic course, and wearing good motorcycle gear all the time.

Take a look at the Hurt Motorcycle Report here: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/hurt.html

See what you can do to reduce your risks, such as not drinking and riding (no brainer there, alcohol is involved in about 50% of fatal crashes), taking the MSF course, etc.

You got off to a bad start by getting into an accident your first time out, but with patience and time and your best efforts to ride safely, she may come around.

Old April 10th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #40
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Take a look at the Hurt Motorcycle Report here: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/hurt.html
Thanks! It's a great read.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote