ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 7th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #1
e90
ninjette.org member

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): '10 250 SE

Another Fender Eliminator Question

A few questions:

1) What are my best options for a kit under $100 (worst case I'll go to with the Yoshi kit but it seems a bit too pricey at over $100)
2) Do I absolutely have to remove the rear fairings and cowls to do the install like everyone suggests?
3) Exactly how many wires do I have to cut/splice to install most kits (I want to keep my stock blinkers and don't want to deal with led's and ballasts/relays - since I have no idea about anything electrical)
4) To cut/splice wires is it as simple as cutting and just electrical taping it back together again for the sake of being able to remove the oem fender

Thanks!
e90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #2
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

I have no idea about any of this really. But please... don't ever use electrical tape to put 2 wires back together... please... at the very least use a

wire nut

Or for a more permeant solution Solder them

or use one of these

Old December 7th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Since you have no experience i would suggest you don't even try soldering.

Best bet is some of the connectors similar to posted above that you can crimp them to secure them together and they should not get loose.

I would skip on the wire nut personally, I just have never been a fan, just seem like a temporary fix to me.

good luck keep us posted
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #4
e90
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post

Best bet is some of the connectors similar to posted above that you can crimp them to secure them together and they should not get loose.

I would skip on the wire nut personally, I just have never been a fan, just seem like a temporary fix to me.

good luck keep us posted
Is it absolutely necessary to have to cut wires.. and if so I'd just be cutting the two that connect to each of the turn signals correct?

I'm looking at either:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-NIN...5c0043&vxp=mtr

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DMP-FENDER-E...ad7743&vxp=mtr

for a cheap solution.

Not sure how comfortable I am to take off all the body panels as well.

Old December 7th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #5
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Quote:

good luck keep us posted
lol I hate them myself, but if I had to choose between that and electrical tape, I'd probably use the wire nut. (or both if that's all I had) but still, yes, both very temporary fixes.

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90 View Post
Is it absolutely necessary to have to cut wires.. and if so I'd just be cutting the two that connect to each of the turn signals correct?

I'm looking at either:

or

for a cheap solution.

Can't help you there, I have not put a fender eliminator on yet, and i am going to go even cheaper route and just hack my lower fender off and finagle some things together. Check out the other Fender DIY's if you want to go that route as well.

And yes a wire nut or crimp connector is definitely better than just tape alone. Soldering + heat shrink wrap is all i do, and IMO is proper

Old December 7th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #7
e90
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Can't help you there, I have not put a fender eliminator on yet, and i am going to go even cheaper route and just hack my lower fender off and finagle some things together. Check out the other Fender DIY's if you want to go that route as well.

And yes a wire nut or crimp connector is definitely better than just tape alone. Soldering + heat shrink wrap is all i do, and IMO is proper
Just so you know I have no idea what any of those are lol

Nor do I know what wires to cut etc.

I do however have high-end stereo equipment that I bi-wired/bi-amped myself which is as far as I can go with wiring knowledge

Old December 7th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Again, look in the DIY's here --> http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

towards the bottom there might be some helpful in the electrical section and cosmetic section.

Old December 8th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #9
e90
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Again, look in the DIY's here --> http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

towards the bottom there might be some helpful in the electrical section and cosmetic section.
Thanks. I did look/research through the DIY section but I just don't understand most of what is being asked. Plus I have no idea how to remove the rear fairings and panels and so on - the instructions just kind of start after you've taken apart the bike. Coupled with the fact that I don't know any thing about wiring and don't want to risk messing up the bike I think I'll just have to live with the ugly rear end

Old December 8th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #10
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Removing the rear fairings isn't hard. Fact, all the plastics are easily removed with patience and attention to detail. There is a DIY for the lower cowlings.

Are you just trying to ditch that hideous fender? The first owner of my bike took a saw to the plastic and just cut it below where the license plate mounts. Seen a few others do that too since it is so ugly.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #11
KillerTofu
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Projekt D

I purchased the Projekt D Fender kit. It's a no cut kit where you have 2 options: Use your stock turn signals, license plate light, and license plate OR just the license plate. I got it here...it's pretty cheap and it's good quality.

http://projektd.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=148

Old December 8th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #12
e90
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerTofu View Post
I purchased the Projekt D Fender kit. It's a no cut kit where you have 2 options: Use your stock turn signals, license plate light, and license plate OR just the license plate. I got it here...it's pretty cheap and it's good quality.

http://projektd.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=148
I want to keep my stock turn signals and not have to cut ANYthing! Do I have to remove fairings for this install as well? Or is it one of the simpler DIY's?

Old December 9th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #13
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

Name: aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 honda shadow phantom

Quote:

I'm looking at either:

or

for a cheap solution.

yes u will have to cut some wires, those that go to turn signals and the license plate light. i picked up the dmp fender elim for like $60 i believe and am pretty pleased with it. even with limit electrical knowledge it shouldnt be a hard task. just use the connectors and then shrink wrap or elect tape over them and ur good to go.
akcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #14
KillerTofu
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
I want to keep my stock turn signals and not have to cut ANYthing! Do I have to remove fairings for this install as well? Or is it one of the simpler DIY's?
I literally did not cut ANYTHING. I took off the old fender which does require removing the rear fairings only, unplugged stock lights, put on new fender, plugged in lights, done. It was all plug and play and instructions come with the kit. This is what it looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1461.jpg (197.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1429.jpg (83.6 KB, 9 views)

Old December 9th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #15
e90
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerTofu View Post
I literally did not cut ANYTHING. I took off the old fender which does require removing the rear fairings only, unplugged stock lights, put on new fender, plugged in lights, done. It was all plug and play and instructions come with the kit. This is what it looks like.
Thank you, This is likely the kit I will be purchasing. How were the instructions and how long did it take you?

Old December 9th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #16
e90
ninjette.org member

So I went ahead and ordered the Kawasaki lime green solo seat cowl and the Jardine FE kit. I have all winter to work on it so I'm sure I'll get it all done

Old December 10th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #17
eljay
ex cbr

Name: eljay

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

if you need help, PM me on gtam. I can help in the new year, maybe, time permitting. I've done FE before.

Quote:
So I went ahead and ordered the Kawasaki lime green solo seat cowl and the Jardine FE kit. I have all winter to work on it so I'm sure I'll get it all done
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote