Old October 27th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Sierra 2014 Farewell Ride - Oct 18

2014 Sierra Farewell Tour

While I am not going to give up riding easily this year, arguing with CalTrans and NDOT over a road being open or not tends to be a one sided affair. They say "No" and I... well, rather slink off with my tail between my legs and go find another road.

That said, winter is starting to make itself known through sporadic storms and dropping temps. Snow has already been reported on the passes from overnight storms and while it does clear up once the sun rises, it's only a matter of time. Must go riding now!

I joined up again with my friend Greg and we headed north. I had just received my California maps from Butler Maps and saw a nice zip zag loop running just north of Downieville. We started in Truckee and, since this was my ride, Greg let me lead. Up 89 all the way to Hwy 70 where we turned west and rode through an amazing canyon along the North Fork Feather River.

What a beautiful road!

Swinging down towards Oroville, the day was getting on enough (mainly due to my very late start - always keep a spare key around somewhere, less you find yourself calling the landlord to break into your own house) so the original plan of swinging back over Buck's Lake Road was scrapped in favor of taking the road up to La Porte.

Twisty, narrow, and tree covered. Both of us just took the time to admire the amazing view.

Back down towards 89 and a turn south to connect with 49. Of course I had to get the picture of the Biker's Beware sign. Twilight found us carving our way towards Downieville before I waved Greg ahead to take advantage of his night slaying lights. One of the perks of riding with someone on a Rally ready beast.

I said farewell to Greg at his turnoff and continued on towards Hwy 20 and home. I think this has certainly been the twistiest ride I've been on in a long while. Loved it!!

When I got home, I was reviewing the Spotwalla map for the year and noticed that while I had been up to the summit of all the passes, I had yet to actually fully cross Ebbetts and Tioga this year. Must fix that!

Rode south towards Markleeville and cut over Ebbetts Pass, sailing along with light traffic and clear roads. The day was absolutely beautiful and the sun was really making the gold leaves pop against the deep green pines. Dropping back down on the west side saw the entire landscape open up and sparkle.

I headed south on 49, following the route I'd just been on for the Sierra Adventure ride. A short stop in Sonora for lunch and Onward towards Moccasin. I had a choice to make here, do I take the Old or New Priest Grade Road? I decided since I had been on the New one a few times now, take the Old. It's a sudden turn, so watch out. Then the warning signs start and you had better be on the ball for this road!

It is STEEP!

I was in third gear, locked onto 35 MPH, leaning forward as I braced against the angle, and got a work out moving the bars back and forth through the tight turns. I was giggling like mad and thoroughly enjoying this wild ride! The New road is made for trucks, wide open sweepers than send you flying through the corners. The Old road was made for getting straight up the mountain, tight, steep, and wicked fun.

Genuinely not sure which one I like better.

I continued on into Yosemite, and was pleasantly surprised when the Ranger at the gate said "Oh, welcome back! You were just here a few weekends ago." Guess it pays to have clashing gear. LOL

The ride through Yosemite was a dream, 120 was open, clear, and smooth sailing. Light traffic had me pulling over to let them continue on, but I enjoyed the views at the stops. Still a marvelous place to just stop and soak in the handiwork of Mother Nature.

Once back down in the valley, I opted to take a long straight road on the north side of Mono Lake back towards home. Haven't been on this road since I had my pregen. Then was the first time I found out how fast that little bike could go. The road is so straight, flat, and open, I just kept toodling along - unaware I was holding open the throttle. When I finally did look down, I was going about 105 through there. Oops.

This time, I kept it under control and even stopped for a pic at a marker for the old railroad and another stop at the void between the states (California's and Nevada's signs are about 20 feet apart). What lies between the states?

All in all a fantastic weekend and a beautiful one to make what may very well be my last ride over the Sierra.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.

Last futzed with by NevadaWolf; October 29th, 2014 at 11:08 PM.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #2
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
I would love to give one of those straight roads a go to see how fast i could get!

But those twistys look like a hell of a lot of fun!

We're counting down the days here too. when the time change hits this weekend i think riding to work will be just about over and i'll just have the last couple of nice weekends...

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote