ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old January 24th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #1
sparky80
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Yamaha FZ1, 2006 Yamaha FJR1300A, 2014 Ninja 300

Talking Another 250 track project

Hey... I picked up an '08 250 today for a grand... almost couldn't pass that up. Has 6k miles on it and was laid down on its left side. It's pretty much all cosmetic but gonna track it out.

Couple of questions...

Do ya keep the black trim pieces just below the tank/seat? I ordered Hot Bodies plastics and wasn't sure how those line up.

I don't need any of the wiring for lights or anything. It seems from initial observations that the harnesses are all tied together... kinda hard to separate, or is it? I'm an aircraft electrician so I don't mind tearing apart wiring.

Anything else I can get rid of? Took the horn off, gonna take the kickstand switch off, clutch switch, rear brake switch.

Any good companies or people make a exhaust bracket? Should be a fun toy... coming from 2 R6 trackbikes so it'll be different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1124.JPG (279.0 KB, 3 views)
sparky80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2015, 09:09 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Click here

There is much that can be removed from the wiring harness after you get your track bodywork to delete lights. Kill that side stand and mount tab. Exhaust bracket?!?!?!? You should be getting a full system yo. That system will let you know what bracket you need to hang the can or you are free to customize your own.

With hotbodies, you will need to keep the black trim pieces under the seat if you like the looks but they are NOT required.

Other oddball stuff that racers delete;
Dash
Front fairing stay and replace with aluminum
Lighter chain/sprocket conversion
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #3
sparky80
ninjette.org member

Yeah, I saw that thread and was checking it out.

I'm trying to stay on the cheap... just wanna cut stuff out that I don't need and maybe re-purpose them if somebody here needs 'em.

How bout the black inner trim piece... that's right in front of the radiator and between the lowers? does that go? I'm trying to get things sorted out as the wife hates the clutter.

Seems all I need are the rider seat, cluster and windshield. I've got just bout everything else in the trailer ready to be sold on ebay or something.

No more safety wiring for me though.... been doing that for the last 16 years on military aircraft.

Old January 24th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Just about all front trim pieces can go, they just get in the way anyhow. Now if you're really into losing trim pieces, the black trim under the stock clipons can go too. In fact some racers will cut the hotbodies plastics to allow for clipons under the triple. Woodcraft will hit them and also hit the track bodywork unless you cut it. There are some pics floating around somewhere on here if your interested.

Old January 24th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #5
sparky80
ninjette.org member

OH.... looks like I might have to buy some more dremel cut-off wheels. I bought a set of Driven adjustable clip-ons today since my stock left one broke, so I might have to end up trimming stuff, it seems.

do the hot bodies ones fit alright? I had sharkskinz on my '00 R6 and they were awesome and some no-name ones on my '03 R6 and they fit horrible. hopefully these will be alright.

Old January 24th, 2015, 09:49 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

The hotbodies fit pretty good, IF.... you take your time and get the holes drilled in good spots. Do a test fit or two and get a sharpie to mark the holes. Measure twice, cut once they always say right?

Also, I have crash tested my hotbodies a few times. They hold up ok, Not the best, but not the worst either. ymmv

Old January 25th, 2015, 06:56 AM   #7
sparky80
ninjette.org member

Sounds good. thanks for the tip.

Starting taking all the stock fairings off last night. Took the horn off and decided to put it back on. Gonna leave all the street stuff on there and the entire harness on there in case I sell it... might be more marketable if someone wants to switch plastics on it.

Seems like an easy bike to work on. Shouldn't be long before I hit the track with this gal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1126.jpg (116.2 KB, 6 views)

Old January 25th, 2015, 09:49 PM   #8
Braden07
Wannabe racer

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250 race prepped, 2009 Zx6R

From what i have gathered from the short time ive been a member on this site is chris seems to know his stuff so listen to him!

as a fellow track rider/racer i can list what i have done to my track bike from a mods standpoint.. it also depends on what you want out of the bike. if you are just wanting to make it a track bike then reasonably few mods would have to be done, if you want to make it into a race bike then that is a different story.

Necessities:
Suspension - whether you are tracking only or planning on racing a suspension upgrade will make all the difference. Most 600s you can get by with stock set up and just a tune, and to that note maybe even with the 250 but i think that was the best money spent on the bike so far. Most peope go with new springs, gold valve emulators and a different weight oil. That really helps the front. I raced the few races this year with a stock rear (felt ok but a little squimish at times) and while im by no means at the limit of my bike, ive already put the gsxr rear shock swap on the bike and excited to try it out soon to see and feel the difference it will make. The gsxr rear is the cheaper option (i think im like 60 total) then you can run anywhere from 600-1000$ on a penske or elka or ohlins rear shock.

Jetting and Exhaust - need to increase that HP!! a full system really has its best gains in the upper end of the RPM range the 9K + as most dyno charts would show. Getting a full exhaust and then rejetting the carbs will help unleash the raw power of the 250. When 3 hp is 10% of your total its significant.

Tires - need to have a way to plant that power on the ground and keep the bike upright.. this is a big topic of debate but my 2 cents are the bridgestones bt-003rs 120/140.. ive run the rosso's and they were good tires, but i felt the bts were much better. Havent tried the dunlop unbeatens yet but i have heard good things

Ergo's - clipons, rearsets etc

Bodywork - if you are just doing track days you could get a chinese set of fairings for cheap to put on that will look semi-decent. If you need race fairings then yeah hotbodies are cheap and will work just plan on patience.. i run them due to price but other guys here run the catalyst and love them.. more expensive run 800 a set but they are MUCH easier to put on and they have a fair amount of flex in them. when the go down they wont explode into a million pieces like ive seen the hotbodies.

those are my thoughts
Braden07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2015, 07:01 PM   #9
stimpee
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 1 2005 Ninja EX250, 1 2008 Ninja 250, 1 2009 Ninja 250

Good luck with the prep and welcome to the club!
stimpee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2015, 11:21 AM   #10
sparky80
ninjette.org member

Well, I've had a change of heart on this project. I'm gonna keep it as a streetbike. I just can't see myself on a 250 at the track, maybe cuz I'm so used to a bigger bike. It's almost as bad as those two dreadful years Vale was on a Duc... wasn't supposed to be that way.

I put some Driven clip-ons though... so it's a bit more aggressive which is good for my 6'2 frame.

Old February 10th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #11
jonuhhthinn
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 77' yamaha xs650 / 01' R6 / 08' ninja 250

ive never tried hotbodies but im very pleaseed with the fitment of my sharkskinz
jonuhhthinn is offline   Reply With Quote