ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 28th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #1
LexisReid
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexis

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Angry Can wind knock over your bike???

If not, some jackhole knocked DH's over today.

I could understand if someone was in a massive SUV or truck and backed into it because they didn't see it, but the way if fell (opposite of the kickstand), it had to have been pushed or someone intentionally pushed it over with their front end... *GAH*

Old December 28th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i've accidentally put the kickstand halfway before without realizing it. would have dropped eventually if i didn't notice it. sorry to hear it

Old December 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yes, wind can knock it over. I have seen it more than once. Think about it, if wind can blow over a semi, it can easily blow over a bike. Just takes a strong gust or a sucky job parking.

One time I seen it was when parked on a hill. The other rider parked diagonally and the bike was not leaned with enough weight on the side stand. He needed to read the "how to park on a hill" book.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #4
LexisReid
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexis

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

yeah, improper kickstanding would have made sense if it fell towards the kickstand, but it fell away from it... It's winter, so we aren't really riding. The bike has been in the same spot for a few weeks. I am wondering if it was a victim of a "cager rager" moment... I told DH to move it because it is parked in a way that makes it inconvenient for cars to park. We usually park next to each other, right where the parking area begins so that we don't take up much parking space, but a car parked there one day and it took a while to get the spot back. I moved mine as soon as I could, but his battery died (stupid lo-jack) so his has just been sitting there for about 3 weeks? I actually asked him if I could move it for him just a few days ago, but he hadn't charged his spare battery yet...

edit: It IS windy today, but his bike was outside during the August hurricane and it didn't fall. Mine is also outside a few spaces down and is fine. Also, parked on a flat, no hills.

Old December 28th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
hmmm

On flat ground, it would take a massive gust to blow it over assuming the sidestand is properly deployed. On a hill all bets are off.

Sounds like sucky parking job to me - ie someone moved it out of the way to make it easier to park or hit it while parking.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #6
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Yes, with strong enough winds your bike can be blown over on to the opposite side of the kickstand even when properly parked on flat ground. I know this because I had it happen once in a major storm in 2010. The wind was extremely strong during the storm and multiple bikes got blown over from it. It's not a heavy bike and if the wind hits it full blast on the kickstand side it can put enough force on it to push it over.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yup - my RT was blown over by the wind once. Happened while we were all there watching it. Sucked.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #8
solo440
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Yes it can. The guy who lives a few apartments over from me had his bike blown over by wind. It was on a very slight slope with the bike leaning in to the slope so the wind had even more resistance to push the bike over, but the wind still did knock it over. We had gusts from 60 to 70 mph that day though, so it was very windy to say the least.

Old December 28th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #9
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I've had a few strong gusts nearly blow me over while I was at a stop...not fun
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #10
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Yes, wind can and does blow over bikes. Especially if they have covers on them.

And especially if the bike next to yours falls on it when it gets blown.

Moral?

Don't keep your Ducs in a row!

Old December 29th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #11
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Yamaha did a sucky job in 1981 with the kickstand length on my XV920. The bike stood up very straight when on the sidestand, so it got blown over in my driveway once. I always had to be mindful of which way the bike was facing when I parked it. I'm sure my Ninja could be blown over fairly easily with the wind in Texas.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #12
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

My money would be on someone knocking it over. Sure, I'd believe wind can knock it over but usually, that occurs doing a storm. I'd bet someone either accidentally knocked it over with their vehicle.
Malicious Logic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #13
Agger
StarScream

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2011 Yamaha R6

Sure it CAN. But what do you think is more likely? The simplest explanation is usually the right one. Keep an eye on your bikes for a few days and see if anyone randomly walks over and starts looking at them/assessing damage. Good chance that person was the one who knocked it over. More than likely an accident but it couldn't hurt to speak with your neighbors and ask if anyone saw anything.
Agger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #14
Dragone
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): '86 VFR 750, '90 ZX7, '92 KZ1000, '05 ninja 500, '05 6RR, '06 10R, '07 ninja 250

bummer on the fall over or tip over. I have noticed that my side stand is not bad in regards to making the bike too upright. I normally use the center stand on the Ninjette for the piece of mind it provides of it possibly getting blown over by the wind.
Dragone is offline   Reply With Quote