ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:02 AM   #1
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I didn't crash my 250 so I only test rode an R6

Yea I rode the infamous go to upgrade bike. A friend just bought a 2006 anniversary edition R6. After we unloaded the bike he threw me the keys and said tell me what you think. It was an eye opening experience.

First, I'm a midget. I had to slide half way off the seat to land on the tip of my toe. The bike felt light and very manageable. I go to take off and start cruising around town. The realization hit me. The 600 supersport is talked about in the noob sections of forums like some untameable fearsome beast reserved for only the craziest and most skilled riders. That might be a little over exaggerated. This R6 has a 17k redline. Under 10k this bike is like the worlds fastest ninja 250. While that may seem impressive it left me saying this too myself. "These things aren't that fast outside the powerband." And then I wide opened in 2nd till the world felt like it was closing in. The R6 is peaky. It felt like it had two very split personalities. Under 13k it's complete street fun. As the revs climb it surges forward but snap the throttle wide open at low revs and it just accelerates faster. No crazy power wheelie no spinning up the rear. But in full angry mode, it's responsive, sounds amazing, and is totally a machine I would race.

I really didnt get to test the handling the way I wanted to. I'll just say everything you read in the magazines are pretty spot on. It's responsive, it holds its line well, feels like a race bike blah blah. After testing the brakes and the handling I've realized that motorcycling is a beautiful sport because it truly rewards rider skill. If you can keep up with a supersport on your 250 than pat yourself on the back. You can quote me on this one. Compared to my 250 the R6 in regards to performance is a superior bike in every way. The ergos feel right, the brakes are great and feel very matched to the power output and the steering is nice and quick. I'm certain I could get through my favorite twisty rides faster on this bike than the ninja 250. Maybe not by a lot, but really there should be no excuse.

It just chalks another one up for the ninjette. The sucky suspension teaches you to have proper inputs and how to be smooth to be fast, the low power keeps you honest and the brakes work fine for a machine that can barely break 100mph.

Also, I won't knock guys for wanting a liter bike for the street. Yea, they don't rev it out or use 15% of the power but the being the automotive equivalent to god in traffic must be nice. The 600 at putt putt pace really aren't fast. They aren't slow but the bike isn't going to go from 45mph in 3rd gear to 100mph in the blink of an eye because of a roll on. That requires the rider to actually want to be there. Everyone should ride different bikes. It's a good learning experience.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
The most dangerous thing on a supersport is not the engine, but the brakes.

Liter bikes? Pfeh! 1300 ftw!
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
So when are you getting an r6?
AFM #676

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:15 AM   #4
ghost-was-here
ninjette.org member

Name: rohan

Motorcycle(s): pulsar 135

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
So when are you getting an r6?
Mr Jiggles,
you aren't supposed to perform inception on public forums.
ghost-was-here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:25 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
I really didnt get to test the handling the way I wanted to.
Awww.... to bad. You missed the best part.

Pretty good review though.

Quote:
Everyone should ride different bikes. It's a good learning experience.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:33 AM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Stop talking about R-6 its hard enough for me to constantly convince myself I don't need one without you guys bring them up every day
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:36 AM   #7
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Nice mini review. I've always wondered how a different bike would feel. My g/f's father has a cbr250, once we get into peak riding season I wanna try swapping bikes for a day and see how different everything feels.
YamiLionheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiLionheart View Post
Nice mini review. I've always wondered how a different bike would feel. My g/f's father has a cbr250, once we get into peak riding season I wanna try swapping bikes for a day and see how different everything feels.
You're supposed to upgrade not downgrade!
AFM #676

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:47 AM   #9
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
You're supposed to upgrade not downgrade!
Haha, agreed.

Wouldn't want to buy one though, just try it to appreciate what my bike may or may not do better, and see what I may like more or dislike about the other bike.

Personally, I love the zx6r but I'm basing that entirely on reviews others have done on the bike so really, what do I know?

My next bike will definitely be in the 600cc range. Likely either the zx or if I decide to go with a more natural riding position, a ninja 650.

The zx6r is just such a beautiful machine...

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:49 AM   #10
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Haha, agreed.

Wouldn't want to buy one though, just try it to appreciate what my bike may or may not do better, and see what I may like more or dislike about the other bike.

Personally, I love the zx6r but I'm basing that entirely on reviews others have done on the bike so really, what do I know?

My next bike will definitely be in the 600cc range. Likely either the zx or if I decide to go with a more natural riding position, a ninja 650.

The zx6r is just such a beautiful machine...
Have you gotten the chance to sit on one at least? I didn't like the way it felt at all. But people have different preferences, so it may be perfect for you. The 636 is definitely a sexy bike
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:56 AM   #11
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Have you gotten the chance to sit on one at least?
I stopped into a dealership the other day to ask about service and sat on one for a few seconds afterwards. I will say it felt... different. Something I could get used to? Probably. As comfortable as my 250? I don't think so.

I would definitely want to find someone who would let me ride a supersport around town a bit and make an opinion that way before deciding one way or the other.

I heard kawi does test drive events occasionally on LI, might try to go to one of those if they have one this summer. Would be a ton of fun to try almost every bike they make in a day

Although I don't know if I'd be able to work up the courage to try to ride a zx14

Last futzed with by YamiLionheart; March 2nd, 2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Mistype

Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:02 PM   #12
xSean13

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
I stopped into a dealership the other day to ask about service and sat on one for a few seconds afterwards. I will say it felt... different. Something I could get used to? Probably. As comfortable as my 250? I don't think so.

I would definitely want to find someone who would let me ride a supersport around town a bit and make an opinion that way before deciding one way or the other.

I heard kawi does test drive events occasionally on LI, might try to go to one of those if they have one this summer. Would be a ton of fun to try almost every bike they make in a day

Although I don't know if I'd be able to work up the courage to try to ride a zx14
Did you ask your dealer? I know the dealers around here have options on their websites where you can schedule a test ride. I submitted a request to test ride a CBR 600rr, so I'm waiting to hear back.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:11 PM   #13
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Did you ask your dealer? I know the dealers around here have options on their websites where you can schedule a test ride. I submitted a request to test ride a CBR 600rr, so I'm waiting to hear back.
I only just got the 250 this past November and have hardly rode it 100 miles so far. I wanna put a season under my belt on the baby ninja before I move up both for financial reasons and just to become a more experienced rider.

That's definitely something I'll consider though once I feel ready to "level up"

Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:28 PM   #14
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'd like to say that your post is a well thought-out post.

Quote:
It just chalks another one up for the ninjette. The sucky suspension teaches you to have proper inputs and how to be smooth to be fast, the low power keeps you honest and the brakes work fine for a machine that can barely break 100mph.

Also, I won't knock guys for wanting a liter bike for the street. Yea, they don't rev it out or use 15% of the power but the being the automotive equivalent to god in traffic must be nice. The 600 at putt putt pace really aren't fast. They aren't slow but the bike isn't going to go from 45mph in 3rd gear to 100mph in the blink of an eye because of a roll on. That requires the rider to actually want to be there. Everyone should ride different bikes. It's a good learning experience.
This is perfect. quoted for truth.

But you must agree, even though supersports are a bit over-exaggerated, they still have no place in the hands of a beginner. Without experience, all that hardware that makes supersports so awesome would go to waste.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:39 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
And the nominese for 'best utilization of forum memes in a title' are...!

Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:40 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
what do you call it when an asian person speaks with their mouth full?

nominese.... nom nom nom

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:47 PM   #17
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Without experience, all that hardware that makes supersports so awesome would go to waste.
That's not the first time iv'e heard that too. You can't appreciate everything a bigger bike can do until you've been riding on something lesser for a while. Another reason why I'm not in a hurry to jump up to something bigger.

Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:52 PM   #18
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
You can't appreciate everything a bigger bike can do until you've been riding on something lesser for a while.
Same thing with bicycles. You won't appreciate Ultegra until you've had to put in some time with original Sora.

That holds true for many things in life

Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:04 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
You won't appreciate Ultegra until you've had to put in some time with original Sora.

I could take this out of context sooooo easily. its just too easy.

Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:06 PM   #20
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You keep your dirty whore mouth shut alex.s!!

Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:37 PM   #21
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Yea I rode the infamous midget.

If you can keep up with a supersport on your 250 than pat yourself on the back. You can quote me on this one. Compared to my 250 the R6 in regards to performance is a superior bike in every way.

I'm certain I could get through my favorite twisty rides faster on this bike than the ninja 250. Maybe not by a lot, but really there should be no excuse.

Also, I won't knock guys for wanting a liter bike for the street. Yea, they don't rev it out or use 15% of the power Everyone should ride different bikes. It's a good learning experience.
First, riding a midget is mean.

Second, if you can keep up with a supersport and you're on a 250, the rider on the supersport can't ride.

Third, nothing is faster than a 250 in the turns (I read that on the internet).

Fourth, learning on an underpowered bike is quicker than being afraid to use the power of a supersport.

Fifth, anyone on a litre bike that only uses 15% of the power also wears a g-string.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:03 PM   #22
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

The cbr is the 600 with the most midrange but I think the 636 should trump it this year. Hoping to ride one. I got to test ride a zx10 and s1000rr so hoping I can get on the 636 to see how it compares to my 600.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:26 PM   #23
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
the rider on the supersport can't ride.
Impossible.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #24
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

CC cowboy, I once had a girl on an R6 pull up to me at a stop light and say cute bike and pull ahead of me doing a short power wheelie. She had a pink thong hanging out. She didn't hit the corners hard but she wasn't afraid to use 100% of the throttle on the straights. Ps, she wasn't single

@Jiggles -No R6 in my future. I'm torn between a cbr or an rc51.... And a motard, like the race motards. Like the ones that are made by a company with 3 letters in the name and blow up every 15 hours.

Old March 4th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #25
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Quote:
Same thing with bicycles. You won't appreciate Ultegra until you've had to put in some time with original Sora.

Now this metaphor is something I can relate to.
I'm putting in time with my Shimano 2300 set, so I can truly appreciate the SRAM RED that I'll never be able to afford.

Old March 4th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #26
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Riders ask me all the time my opinion of the components on my bike and I tell them they work good but I've never ridden anything else so I can't really say if it better. I funny that I ride a bicycle worth twice as much as my Ninjette and I still have to pedal that damn thing. I think this would be like the MV agusta F4 of the bicycle world. See how many Moto sponsor stickers you can stop

Just because I only ride the best hasn't kept me from having to deal with the crappy stuff since it seems everyone bring their **** to me after they can't fix it.

Old March 4th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #27
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

That's a beautiful bike!

Mine is more like the Ninja 250R of road bikes... Orbea Aqua with 2300 components. Nothing flashy, nothing TOO expensive (comparatively) but it gets the job done!

Old March 4th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #28
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
That's a beautiful bike!

Mine is more like the Ninja 250R of road bikes... Orbea Aqua with 2300 components. Nothing flashy, nothing TOO expensive (comparatively) but it gets the job done!
Well at least you can flog yours a bit and no one will call you out on it. As soon as I bunny hop a curb or shoot off the paved trail to hit the dirt single track and carve a berm I have half a dozen people making snide remarks. Cyclecam knows what I mean.

I've got over 8k miles on that rig and I've never had to adjust the wheels of cables(after the first 100 miles)

Old March 4th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #29
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Just because I only ride the best hasn't kept me from having to deal with the crappy stuff since it seems everyone bring their **** to me after they can't fix it.
it's beautiful. But doesn't your pump offset all that extra you payed for the carbon wheels weightwise? I kid I kid, I'm not a weight weenie.

I bunny hop curbs all the time. The road bike is my commuter on nice days (when I'm not on the ninjette) during the summer. But generally the MTB is my hooligan bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Now this metaphor is something I can relate to.
I'm putting in time with my Shimano 2300 set, so I can truly appreciate the SRAM RED that I'll never be able to afford.
Same thing here. I ride an old Dawes 1000. Its bare bones Aluminum with old Sora everything. I've done some test riding and I've got it narrowed to a Giant Defy Composite 3 and a Trek Madone 3.1. I'm not that worried about buying fancy components just to spare a few ounces when I know Tiagra/105 are both great in terms of lasting forever. I'm really debating the Defy Composite 2 because it uses SRAM Apex, which has the double click thing. It would take some getting used to, but I liked how simple it was on my test ride.

I must say, I'm really a fan of SRAM on mountain bikes.

Old March 4th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #30
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

Quote:
it's beautiful. But doesn't your pump offset all that extra you payed for the carbon wheels weightwise? I kid I kid, I'm not a weight weenie.

I bunny hop curbs all the time. The road bike is my commuter on nice days (when I'm not on the ninjette) during the summer. But generally the MTB is my hooligan bike.

Same thing here. I ride an old Dawes 1000. Its bare bones Aluminum with old Sora everything. I've done some test riding and I've got it narrowed to a Giant Defy Composite 3 and a Trek Madone 3.1. I'm not that worried about buying fancy components just to spare a few ounces when I know Tiagra/105 are both great in terms of lasting forever. I'm really debating the Defy Composite 2 because it uses SRAM Apex, which has the double click thing. It would take some getting used to, but I liked how simple it was on my test ride.

I must say, I'm really a fan of SRAM on mountain bikes.
My last road bike had SRAM Rival, and I really liked the DoubleTap shifting. I'm looking for another road bike, I've never tried the Shimano stuff (105, Ultegra, Dura, ect...) so I can't really say much about it, but I liked the SRAM so much I'm set on finding another bike with it.

Old March 4th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #31
SafetyPaws
ninjette.org member

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:

CHeck out kawasaki.com in the spring time - last year their demo ride program came to the detroit bike week. I test drove the 650, then the zx600r, z1000, and the ninja 1000r.

When i first rode the 650 i was like super awesome power compared to the 950 it was very responive, but it was very jerk - not so smooth on shifts. Granted i did not have much practice and get use to the bike on a 15-20 min ride but still a bike i would like to have in my collection.

I then rode the zx600r and before i sat down - i had two different instructors come to me and warn me and give me advise "this is not like any bike you have ever drove before, keep it in the low RPM" 2nd guys "becarefull, it screems at high RMP take it there." When i first sat on it i pissed my self bc of the riding position - but after pulling off and getting my feet up it was <3 . When everyone started hitting 50, the transition from low speed to high speed was amazing, very smooth, i was probably at 2nd iirc and i felt like this video game form back in the the day Kinetica. Just felt like i was more apart of the bike and was transforming.

the 1000r and the z1000 were great but i liked the 600 more. Anyways besides my experience rant with the bike, i love my ninjette and would like to purchase one / all of those bikes eventually. test out the competition and see how it goes. but I am happy with my 250 with the 2 years ive spent on a ninja 250.

Old March 5th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #32
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

You said you were a midget, just how bad of a midget are you? I'm 5'6" or 5'7" depending on the tape measurer and I had my 250 lowered when I bought it so I could place my feet flat on the floor. I'm comfortable with it now but I'd still like to be able to control the bike with my feet when I'm stopped, especially at an angle like when waiting for a light at a turn or freeway on ramp. I'd like to upgrade to a new and bigger bike when I completely pay off the 250 but the height thing is always dwelling on my mind. The closest I've been to comfortable on a bike was another Ninja 600 and a GSXR600 which I was told could also be lowered or have the suspension adjusted to come down a little bit

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #33
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

I'm 5' 4" with a 28 inch inseam. I'm on the balls of my feet on the 250. I come from a dirt riding background so being on one foot on uneven ground isn't uncomfortable. I can't flat foot anything but cruisers. I've sat on a CBR600 that was dropped an inch. It felt a little bit lower than the little ninja. I have to get off bikes if I want to move them around. I literally slide off the seat on whatever side I plan on stopping on and park my toes if I'm riding a taller bike. It just requires a bit of planning ahead. On the R6 I would pull the bike straight throw it into gear before I would land back on the ground. Although it's really to tall to be remotely comfortable doing street riding. If a strong wind hit me on the opposite side, I would probably drop the bike. The R6 is taller than the other sport bikes. Even the 1000s are shorter.

There are two schools of thought regarding lowering sport bikes. Lowering them via suspension internals and rear lowering links is great and is the best option if you absolutely must lower it. The problem is if you go and start riding the bike hard, ie track days, the suspension might run out of travel along with having other technical issues depending on how the suspension work was done. Also, the clearance for the foot pegs is lower. The chances of hitting hard parts increases.

Although, on the positive side, it's nice to be able to confidently place your feet in common street riding situations. That extra inch can make a huge difference at the gas station, scenic parking area, or uphill urban stop. And to be blunt, unless you are riding like lord douche tool in the streets; I'm talking slowing from 120mph into a blind and bumpy 40mph hairpin and then dragging knee, the lowering won't be a hindrance to the bikes' performance at all. Plus the guy with the stretched busa will think the lowering job makes the bike look fly.