ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #41
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

No offense taken. Chris already answered me, im just responding to Alex.s when he tells me an answer to a question i never asked. The only question was whether to use OEM wheels with XX tires (rossi II seems to be the winner), or the vrossi rims 4.5in rear with another tire choice. Thats it, not should i buy these rims, should i use OEM rims, etc. Josh and Alex.s are looking too far into the rabbit hole.

I know im not fast enough to push the limits of any of the tires, thats why i completely ruled out the need for slicks with tire warmers. Im a slow noob and ill be in the beginner group, on my 250.

But ill just restate the actual question since its been derailed so bad. If you have OEM wheels, and a set of Vrossi wheels. Which would you use on the track with XX tires, and which would you use on the street with XX tires. I really didnt think it was that hard of a question, nor did i think people would jump down my throat saying im wasting money. Im not trying to be some budget track day racer, saving xx here doesnt equal xx more trackdays for me. The money will end up going to a vacation, a dinner, my house, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
The way I'm seeing this, no offense.

You want one outcome. But you want justification.
So you ask us.
We give you the other option; the more realistic option that will be better for your situation; the option you don't want to hear.
You keep going, so SOMEONE will eventually tell you what you want to hear so you can justify your purchase.

Seriously. Look at how fast and how stick the tires are that are available for the stock rim size. Look how many guys race. Look how fast they are. On oe wheels.

$400 could buy you oe wheels AND most of a pair of tires and rotors.

But if you want the vrossi wheels, by all means get them. The OEM wheels are fine and there's great tire options in those sizes. I'm on pregen size tires that are far inferior to tires that are available for newgen wheels. And I and haven't yet met the limits of those crummy tires. I'm not saying I'm fast, but I'm a lot faster than I was when I started. I think you're worrying about something that isn't necessary and are looking for positive reinforcement for something that you plain old want but don't need.

Like I said, your ride. Do whatever you want with it. But know that the OEM wheels will treat you just fine and will give you plenty of awesome tire options.
By the way, thank you @csmith12 for usually answering my questions without being a dick. I should just PM you when i think of this stuff. Friendliest forum my ass
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #42
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you talk about how you have a budget, but then you talk about how it's not a big deal to spend $400 on another set of wheels and then $300 on another set of tires, along with all the other crap you are buying that you don't need so you can go to the track twice a year

its fine if you want the wheels so you can look bling bling on the street. its even fine if you want to run them on the track. nobody gives a ****.

they will not benefit you in any way.

there are MORE tires you can put on the 4.5" rim. but they are the WRONG tires. the bike has a 3.5 inch rim for a reason. because it uses small tires. because ITS A SMALL BIKE. yes, you can go get a stretched swinger and throw on the 4.5 so you can stick that diablo corsa 195 rear on to "Really make it feel planted in the corners" even though you are only leaning 15 degrees. what are you doing? i mean, actually... in fact... what are you doing to the bike? you are making it bigger. you are taking the tiny engine and making it even more insignificant. for what? for show. so you can look at it and say 'yeah its a two fifty, BUT ITS GOT A 195 REAR TIRE ON IT BRO!'

take a deep breath and slap yourself in the face because you, sir, are insane.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 20th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #43
Bigballsofpaint

You really are just a dick who comes on here to feed his ego arent you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
you talk about how you have a budget, but then you talk about how it's not a big deal to spend $400 on another set of wheels and then $300 on another set of tires, along with all the other crap you are buying that you don't need so you can go to the track twice a year

its fine if you want the wheels so you can look bling bling on the street. its even fine if you want to run them on the track. nobody gives a ****.

they will not benefit you in any way.

there are MORE tires you can put on the 4.5" rim. but they are the WRONG tires. the bike has a 3.5 inch rim for a reason. because it uses small tires. because ITS A SMALL BIKE. yes, you can go get a stretched swinger and throw on the 4.5 so you can stick that diablo corsa 195 rear on to "Really make it feel planted in the corners" even though you are only leaning 15 degrees. what are you doing? i mean, actually... in fact... what are you doing to the bike? you are making it bigger. you are taking the tiny engine and making it even more insignificant. for what? for show. so you can look at it and say 'yeah its a two fifty, BUT ITS GOT A 195 REAR TIRE ON IT BRO!'

take a deep breath and slap yourself in the face because you, sir, are insane.

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #44
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
yes. that's exactly it.

i'm not at all trying to save you a bunch of wasted money. i'm not trying to make it so you can instead spend that money on more track days in a sensible way.

clearly i'm just some asshole stroking an ego.

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #45
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
clearly i'm just some asshole stroking an ego.
Clearly, but that doesn't detract from how correct you are.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 20th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #46
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it ain't my ego that i'm stroking

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #47
Bigballsofpaint

Thats like me saying dont go buy christmas presents because you could buy yourself more trackdays. Its also not whose right and whose wrong, its you chiming in with no actual input that correlates to the question i answered.

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #48
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
trackdays ARE christmas presents. buy more of them.

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #49
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #50
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

But seriously. Buying Christmas presents takes away valuable track day money.

Don't do that.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #51
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
you chiming in with no actual input that correlates to the question i answered.
you mean how i was the first one to give you a real answer and the rest of the answers (except the guy who said buy shinko tires... wtf?) agreed with what i said?

i guess being first means you don't count. or maybe no input means because i told you your plans were not very good, you disregard the rest of my posts.

it's cool, i'm just sitting here, stroking my "ego".

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #52
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
Wouldn't know. My swingarm has the chain guard mounts cut.
hey do you get much chain lube splatter on your under tail? i wanted to remove my gaurd but i didn't want an ass covered in lube. we all know that never ends well

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #53
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
i'm just sitting here, stroking my "ego".
You'll go blind

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #54
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
nah bro those are wives-tales.

i have to use shampoo on my palms though. so hairy!

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #55
Bigballsofpaint

If this qualifies as a real answer then sorry alex. If it was a real answer it wasnt a full one either way. From the first post you were already being a dick by saying go asked the stretched swingarm guys.

Alex can close those if he feels the need at any time, or sit back with popcorn. Doesnt matter to me either way really.

Quote:
all the racers run stock wheels, cause its da rules.

you would be better off asking florida guys with stretched swingarms.

keep in mind the fastest 250 racers run the bridgestone slicks which are 120 rear, 100 front

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #56
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Look dOOd.

If you want a new set of wheels to use at the track - because you're a princess that for some reason needs new ones for just 2 track days in one year... get stock.

The tires of choice for track riders/racers alike all fit stock wheels and 4.5 rims will not provide you with better options.

While you're buying things left and right because money is no object and you want your bike to remain pretty don't forget to also buy a new motor, incase the case covers on the side get scraped.

You will also need a new frame in case the old one bends even in the slightest.

You also owe @alex.s a small bottle of Astro Glide as that is his usual fee for advice, whether you find it useful or not.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #57
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
let me give the playbyplay

post 2, i say go stock wheels, get slicks. <-- viable option. in other words a real answer
post 3, stay with stock wheels.
post 7, stay with stock wheels
post 9, i say go with stock wheels, get slicks. <-- viable option. in other words a real answer
post 14, smith says get a wet tire. <-- viable option. in other words a real answer
post 18, i give more viable tire options, further explain why to stick with stock wheels. <-- more viable options. in other words a real answer
post 19, smith agrees, stay with stock wheels. suggests similar options but most are more street oriented <-- viable option. in other words a real answer
post 20, someone recomends a shinko <-- viable option. in other words a real answer
post 23, me, buy rosso 2s, dont buy the wheels. <-- viable option. in other words a real answer

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #58
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

For the OP: A little less time spent deciding to argue, and a little more time trying to take in advice that you explicitly asked for from people who who have done this dozens/hundreds of times compared to your zero times? Perhaps the answers weren't overly cuddly, but as far as I can tell they were all spot-on.

Your primary question is a bit of a silly hypothetical, which led the thread down this path.
My Don't even worry about a separate set of rims at all. You'll be a-ok on the ninjette at up to intermediate level track speed and beyond using Diablo Rosso II's. A single set will go many track days at C-level pace, and will last for thousands of miles on the street. No work necessary to change out the tires until they wear as usual, and no need to swap rims. Saves both money and time, with no real downsides.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 20th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #59
Bigballsofpaint

And before the thread got derailed, i appreciated your input but said i didnt want slicks. For chris, i said i didnt want a wet/dry combo even though the thought crossed my mind, but he also gave normal options.

Your arguement for stock wheels was simply, because that what the race org says. I dont belong to an organization so i dont need to go by any certain guidelines. Maybe if your org would allow the use of other sized rims and tires you would go with them? How would i know unless i ask?

Other people may also have other rim/tire combinations, so i wanted to see if they would chime in as well.

Quote:
let me give the playbyplay

post 2, i say go stock wheels, get slicks. <-- viable option. in other words a real answer
post 3, stay with stock wheels.
post 7, stay with stock wheels
post 9, i say go with stock wheels, get slicks. <-- viable option. in other words a real answer
post 14, smith says get a wet tire. <-- viable option. in other words a real answer
post 18, i give more viable tire options, further explain why to stick with stock wheels. <-- more viable options. in other words a real answer
post 19, smith agrees, stay with stock wheels. suggests similar options but most are more street oriented <-- viable option. in other words a real answer
post 20, someone recomends a shinko <-- viable option. in other words a real answer
post 23, me, buy rosso 2s, dont buy the wheels. <-- viable option. in other words a real answer
Trailorboy, i will definitely buy another motor now. Possibly a 300 with the wiring harness, great answer to another question i didnt ask!

Old November 20th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #60
Bigballsofpaint

Thanks, it seems the rosso II is the choice of tire regardless. I didnt know if a 150 rear offered something better is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
For the OP: A little less time spent deciding to argue, and a little more time trying to take in advice that you explicitly asked for from people who who have done this dozens/hundreds of times compared to your zero times? Perhaps the answers weren't overly cuddly, but as far as I can tell they were all spot-on.

Your primary question is a bit of a silly hypothetical, which led the thread down this path.
My Don't even worry about a separate set of rims at all. You'll be a-ok on the ninjette at up to intermediate level track speed and beyond using Diablo Rosso II's. A single set will go many track days at C-level pace, and will last for thousands of miles on the street. No work necessary to change out the tires until they wear as usual, and no need to swap rims. Saves both money and time, with no real downsides.

Old November 20th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #61
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Old November 20th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #62
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

I say get Marchenesi (spelling?) Rims
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #63
Bigballsofpaint

For my 1000?

Old November 20th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #64
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
No, the 150 doesn't offer anything except more rotating weight.

It's wider, won't have a perfect profile on the stock rim, and is likely not any better rubber than the Rosso 2.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #65
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

Np yo, I got patience for miles, some say a little too much. In hindsight, sometimes I agree.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #66
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Quote:
For my 1000?
Nope. The 250. Pick your size and get reduced weight.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #67
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Introducing St csmith yo!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #68
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
hold on here, i am confused, are you looking for wheels or tires? because if you are asking tires then a 140 should be sufficient for your cause. if you are looking for wheels i am lost.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #69
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

The best you can do is to get the Galespeed rims, there you have two choices front is always 3.00x17 and for the rear you can choose between 4.00x17 or 4.50x17 from two different types and yes they're not cheap ... but very lightweight in highest quality standard and also not to compare with the 120 USD VRossis (original price in Indonesia).
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2013, 05:15 AM   #70
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
hold on here, i am confused, are you looking for wheels or tires? because if you are asking tires then a 140 should be sufficient for your cause. if you are looking for wheels i am lost.
His question eventually was clearly asked but it's basically this; "Will a 4.5 wheel offer me any better tire choices"? Other reasons for getting the wheels are; easier swaps for track days and personal preference. When the OP "inadvertently" tried to justify the wheel purchase with easy swaps for only 2 track days per year is when "the wheels came off this thread". Pun intended.

badum tish, I will be here all week and try the fish. hahahahah
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 21st, 2013, 09:19 AM   #71
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
His question eventually was clearly asked but it's basically this; "Will a 4.5 wheel offer me any better tire choices"? Other reasons for getting the wheels are; easier swaps for track days and personal preference. When the OP "inadvertently" tried to justify the wheel purchase with easy swaps for only 2 track days per year is when "the wheels came off this thread". Pun intended.

badum tish, I will be here all week and try the fish. hahahahah
Chris summed it up, although if it seemed like i was trying to justify buying the 4.5in rims for trackdays that is not the case. I want to get them regardless, even if i never go to the track, i would like a wider rear tire. A 150 tires, not bigger because i dont want to modify chain guards, swingarms etc. And i dont want to put a 150 tire on the 3.5 since i know its not meant to be on that size rim.

In that case , i guessed i should have told a white lie and stated i had 2 sets of wheels already, and which ones should i use with what tires for trackday, then people would not make the connection that im buying a set of wheels for trackdays.

I dont want lightweight rims since im honestly not buying them for performance, the cost of those rims could easily be spent elsewhere. I am no where near the skill level to need to shave a half second off my imaginary lap times.

Old November 21st, 2013, 10:52 AM   #72
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:

Trailorboy, i will definitely buy another motor now. Possibly a 300 with the wiring harness, great answer to another question i didnt ask!
why don't you just buy a track bike if you have that much money to throw around

Old November 21st, 2013, 11:01 AM   #73
Bigballsofpaint

My sarcasm clearly doesnt go through the internet like so many others here....

I actually do plan to buy one eventually, which is why i dont want to turn my 250 into track only, since i dont want a 250 for a track bike. I already have a bike payment, so when i pay my 1000 off i will look into a track bike.

Old November 21st, 2013, 11:08 AM   #74
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
makes sense.

you should try the 1k on the track though! that would be a challenge

Old November 21st, 2013, 11:10 AM   #75
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

Quote:
Friendliest forum my ass

Old November 21st, 2013, 11:13 AM   #76
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
makes sense.

I actually plan on bringing it once i ride both tracks. Ill have to be a lot more carefull with it though. Sits more upright, way more power.

Old November 21st, 2013, 12:30 PM   #77
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Quote:
I honestly dont see myself doing more than 2 track days next year, i may use the 1000 for one of them as well.
Your question was clear in first post they just did not understand that you were GOING to have a 150 back if nothing else.

but I got that in your first post also.

Thanks for the pissing contest guys
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2013, 12:31 PM   #78
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Your question was clear in first post they just did not understand that you were GOING to have a 150 back if nothing else.

but I got that in your first post also.

Thanks for the pissing contest guys
i bet i can piss longer than you can.

Old November 21st, 2013, 12:36 PM   #79
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
i bet i can piss longer than you can.
I bet but not when I was your age. There was a guy on my college rugby team that could piss over the goal posts.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2013, 12:39 PM   #80
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
using a ladder doesn't count for pissing over the posts