Old June 30th, 2016, 06:57 AM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Dumdum crashes when filtering too fast and wonders who's at fault

Link to original page on YouTube.

MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old June 30th, 2016, 07:10 AM   #2
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Should take a hint from John Deere: It's not about how fast you mow, but how well you mow fast!

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 07:38 AM   #3
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
65% bike 35% car IMO but the law will be on the bikes side unless they see this video

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 08:20 AM   #4
BDfromBC
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): EX250-J

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Where does the rider "wonder who's at fault?" To me it seems he knew he screwed up... He says "Sh!t!" As if he knows he screwed up lol,

The video was uploaded by a website/YouTube profile, that is NOT associated with the rider, they are the ones who ask "who is at fault, what could have been done to prevent this"

People are to quick to assume things... He knew he made a mistake and you can tell by his tone of voice... Yeah he's a dummy for acting in such a manner, but he is not stupid enough to wonder who is at fault...
BDfromBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 08:26 AM   #5
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Time to honk = time to brake. Looks to me like another case of too much speed differential increasing risk. The rider should have slowed down while filtering through stopped traffic like that.

Car driver was definitely making a risky move, crossing blind like that. If the rider had only been cruising at 5-10 mph instead of what looks like 25 mph(?), he would have helped himself out a lot.

Still though, hindsight is 20/20. I love the concept of filtering, it just has to be done intelligently. Both parties are at fault here, imho. Glad the rider doesn't seem injured.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #6
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

When your filtering through stopped traffic it's not only cars you have to look out for it's bikes and pedestrians.

He looked like he was going too fast.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #7
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Doh!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #8
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
We often see riders filtering up at WAAAY too high a speed. Not smart.

Excessive speed, essentially outdriving your visual ability, is what's dangerous. Filtering through stopped or slow-moving traffic isn't so bad if done at reasonable speeds.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #9
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDfromBC View Post
Where does the rider "wonder who's at fault?" To me it seems he knew he screwed up... He says "Sh!t!" As if he knows he screwed up lol,

The video was uploaded by a website/YouTube profile, that is NOT associated with the rider, they are the ones who ask "who is at fault, what could have been done to prevent this"

People are to quick to assume things... He knew he made a mistake and you can tell by his tone of voice... Yeah he's a dummy for acting in such a manner, but he is not stupid enough to wonder who is at fault...
Actually, this YouTube channel is run by the rider. SubD is a motovlogger. He's mean to his friends and goes interesting places. I like him.

He asks who's at fault in the description of the video.

Old June 30th, 2016, 10:14 PM   #10
BDfromBC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Actually, this YouTube channel is run by the rider. SubD is a motovlogger. He's mean to his friends and goes interesting places. I like him.

He asks who's at fault in the description of the video.
Okay, I'm corrected on what noun (website / single person) posted it haha...

But he is not the rider.
It says right in the description...

He's apparently fairly popular, if he posted a video of himself crashing AT FAULT, it would tarnish his image!

Old June 30th, 2016, 10:30 PM   #11
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Okay, I'm corrected on what noun (website / single person) posted it haha...

But he is not the rider.
It says right in the description...

He's apparently fairly popular, if he posted a video of himself crashing AT FAULT, it would tarnish his image!
It didn't say that before. I posted this within the hour he uploaded it. I guess there was confusion because that looks an awful lot like his bike. Hmm... I stand corrected.

Old June 30th, 2016, 10:50 PM   #12
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
There is a loose nut connected to the bars. That's the fault.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 10:53 PM   #13
BDfromBC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
It didn't say that before. I posted this within the hour he uploaded it. I guess there was confusion because that looks an awful lot like his bike. Hmm... I stand corrected.
Haha yeah I didn't think I saw it before either actually, people were probably commenting about him being stupid, but I kind of had a feeling it wasn't him for some reason 😂 But whatever point is, the rider was at fault in the video haha and it sounded to me like the rider knew he screwed up

Old July 1st, 2016, 02:31 AM   #14
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
We often see riders filtering up at WAAAY too high a speed. Not smart.

Excessive speed, essentially outdriving your visual ability, is what's dangerous. Filtering through stopped or slow-moving traffic isn't so bad if done at reasonable speeds.
I've filtered going 70mph plenty of times. When I do this, the cars around me are doing just over 60. At these speeds I pick my gaps very carefully: normally I choose a gap which is between 2 directly parallel cars. This massively decreases the chance of a car turning into me. I watch for hazards all around the cars, what's happening up ahead and what the lane discipline of the cars I'm filtering is like.

I've never, so much as had a close call doing this.

Like @choneofakind said: it's largely about speed differential. If the rider has that down, has good awareness of their surroundings and also good bike control, filtering is safe.

Well; there's more to it than that, but those are the fundamentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
65% bike 35% car IMO but the law will be on the bikes side unless they see this video
Bike 100% IMO. If the bike was in the other, oncoming lane and the car pulled out in front of him that would be different. While filtering between tightly packed, stopped traffic, it can be very difficult for drivers to see you approaching.

Quote:
Quote:
Haha yeah I didn't think I saw it before either actually, people were probably commenting about him being stupid, but I kind of had a feeling it wasn't him for some reason 😂 But whatever point is, the rider was at fault in the video haha and it sounded to me like the rider knew he screwed up
ninjette.org arguments are cute

Old July 1st, 2016, 02:38 AM   #15
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Love you guys

Old July 1st, 2016, 06:46 AM   #16
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Same color brand and model as his bike but not his bike. It's missing the double bubble windscreen with stickers and the stickers on the gas tank.

Then again, that may be old footage and he's just now releasing it.

Either way, splitting too fast for conditions for sure.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2016, 09:30 AM   #17
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I've filtered going 70mph plenty of times. When I do this, the cars around me are doing just over 60. At these speeds I pick my gaps very carefully: normally I choose a gap which is between 2 directly parallel cars. This massively decreases the chance of a car turning into me. I watch for hazards all around the cars, what's happening up ahead and what the lane discipline of the cars I'm filtering is like.
Like you say, speed differential. I'd agree that 70/60 differential is pretty prudent. I wasn't addressing at speed, mostly because the video was slow-ish speed. Still too fast for his conditions, given that he didn't see the car.

Good point about picking parallel cars; they won't be changing lanes if they already see a car there. I haven't done splitting on the freeway yet. I was tempted yesterday, but then traffic opened up and it was fine again.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2016, 10:16 AM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Those were nice shoes!!!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2016, 12:04 PM   #19
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
is there any skill in what he did? Pretty sure I could make that thing get up to 400kmph on a closed road with tons of run-off.

... well... my heart might explode... but I could still do it

Edit: The post I was replying to has disappeared >.<

Old July 1st, 2016, 12:27 PM   #20
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Time to honk = time to brake. Looks to me like another case of too much speed differential increasing risk. The rider should have slowed down while filtering through stopped traffic like that.

Car driver was definitely making a risky move, crossing blind like that. If the rider had only been cruising at 5-10 mph instead of what looks like 25 mph(?), he would have helped himself out a lot.

Still though, hindsight is 20/20. I love the concept of filtering, it just has to be done intelligently. Both parties are at fault here, imho. Glad the rider doesn't seem injured.
the car almost did nothing wrong. what it was doing was entirely reasonable. the bike was at 100% fault. he could have easily stopped when he saw the issue. instead he chose to bully his way through by honking in a situation he couldn't be seen but could easily see the car. ego made him think he could just honk at someone and they'll yield to him. ego made him crash.

you avoid this by always presuming you are invisible. honking doesn't help you when you cant be seen or heard. do what will help you. dont hit the car.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old July 1st, 2016, 12:30 PM   #21
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Some good advice

Link to original page on YouTube.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote