ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old May 13th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #41
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Will do, but The2wheels shorted me by a lever. They said they would send my clutch lever, but I've yet to see it. It's been almost another month already... I'm getting worried.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #42
Z-Trob
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 99 250, 06 Speed Triple, 2009 husky 510SMR

I ordered shorties from the2wheels as well for my 99'.

i ordered levers for the 08'+
have no idea why i was thinking they would work when it would have been posted here if they did.

the clutch lever fits but the brake lever kinda sticks, which is kinda dangerous as sometimes you can't brake as hard as you want to
also i broke that safety switch plunger on the clutch when putting the new lever on
this may have affected fitment but it has worked perfectly otherwise so w/e...

just a heads up, try to order a 500 brake lever and a 08'+ clutch lever and it might possibly be a direct swap. no perch change needed.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:03 PM   #43
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): '90 ex250

Can someone explain the appeal/need for folding levers?
MasterCylinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #44
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Trob View Post
I ordered shorties from the2wheels as well for my 99'.

i ordered levers for the 08'+
have no idea why i was thinking they would work when it would have been posted here if they did.

the clutch lever fits but the brake lever kinda sticks, which is kinda dangerous as sometimes you can't brake as hard as you want to
also i broke that safety switch plunger on the clutch when putting the new lever on
this may have affected fitment but it has worked perfectly otherwise so w/e...

just a heads up, try to order a 500 brake lever and a 08'+ clutch lever and it might possibly be a direct swap. no perch change needed.
I'm going to go try the clutch lever from my newgen on the pregen to confirm this. Thanks!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #45
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
Comfort.
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #46
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

OK, the clutch lever does indeed seem to be a direct swap between EX250J/K and EX250F. The only notable difference other than the pregen lever having ugly knuckle nubs is that the pin it pivots on goes through and threads into the perch on a pregen and a loose nut on the underside with the newgen. The pin is the same size except for the threaded tip, so they fit either lever. If you lost the pregen pin and had a newgen one, it still extends out the bottom to thread the nut on because the threaded part is a smaller diameter.

Edit: OK. I've been told that the perch is threaded on the newgen too and the nut just locks it into the perch so it won't back out of those threads. Makes sense. Regardless, the pins will not thread into eachother's perches. If the pregen pin protrudes enough from the perch for a nut, I'm probably simply missing mine.

Last futzed with by CZroe; August 1st, 2012 at 05:58 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #47
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I finally sent The2Wheels a message demanding either a damn clutch lever or a refund because I have no second lever... Ugh.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:45 AM   #48
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
Comfort.
There are 2 things here; Adjustable and Folding

Adjustable levers address lever distance from the bar which helps with comfort, hand size and ultimately move the friction zone closer to where the rider wants it

Folding levers do exactly that, they fold up to prevent breaking in case the bike falls/goes down
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 02:20 AM   #49
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
There are 2 things here; Adjustable and Folding

Adjustable levers address lever distance from the bar which helps with comfort, hand size and ultimately move the friction zone closer to where the rider wants it

Folding levers do exactly that, they fold up to prevent breaking in case the bike falls/goes down

AH ok the latter answers my question. Adjustable makes sense but I never thought of folding ones...

Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:29 PM   #50
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Why not add more free play to clutch lever? It seems to me to do essentially the same thing- the clutch cable is actuated when the lever is closer to the handle bar.

If you put in adjustable levers, you can adjust the lever free play to the OEM specification, but any extra distance in pull to ensure the clutch is fully disengaged is negated by the reduced travel setting. In essence, the cable actuates the same distance as if you had added more free play.

The downside is that there is an extra distance the lever can travel after it is released. There are rumors of rattling levers, but that does not seem to occur on my bike.

So... Am I wrong?
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #51
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Why not add more free play to clutch lever? It seems to me to do essentially the same thing- the clutch cable is actuated when the lever is closer to the handle bar.

If you put in adjustable levers, you can adjust the lever free play to the OEM specification, but any extra distance in pull to ensure the clutch is fully disengaged is negated by the reduced travel setting. In essence, the cable actuates the same distance as if you had added more free play.

The downside is that there is an extra distance the lever can travel after it is released. There are rumors of rattling levers, but that does not seem to occur on my bike.

So... Am I wrong?
My lever rattles like a mofo. I keep mine insanely loose though. I thought it was coming from my engine the whole time.

Old September 4th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #52
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Pics of above stated install?
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #53
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by FvnnyL3tt3r1ng View Post
Pics of above stated install?
This^^^

I bought a '92 ex500 perch and a '05 ex500 clutch and brake lever from the 2 wheels shop. This is fine right? Does the brake lever work w/ the 250 w/out any additional parts needed?

Old September 8th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #54
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You need a perch from the '94+ model ex500.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_...6_brake_levers

Read the thread. All the info has been posted.

From earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince_2149 View Post
I did the ex500 swap on my 250 and it was cake! I think I had a total of $80 into it including levers and the perch.
The brake lever swaps right over. And the perches are easy enough to swap. There's a bushing the original ex500 clutch lever comes with that you will need to put into the new clutch lever. You'll probably have to break off the old perch if you don't want to take off the bar ends/controls. Then the new one just bolts right into place. Here's what everything looked like:

Old September 8th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #55
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Hmmm, the perch said it was a '92 thru '05 I think so I hope it works.