ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old August 7th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Anyone try to put a hugger on the pregen?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=1099

Saw that in the 2008+ section and was thinking if it would be possible for our bike or if there was a similar OEM hugger we could use. I don't know what the differences are between the two generations of bikes so I don't want to make the jump just yet.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #2
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

Name: dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Honda Shadow, 2008 ninja 250

If it is only 12bucks I may buy one and try to figure it out
93etgocart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #3
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93etgocart View Post
If it is only 12bucks I may buy one and try to figure it out

Yeah, I wouldn't mind playing around with one as long as I knew that the thing was at least as wide as our ninja's swingarms.

Edit: http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...0-KYJ-900.html about 9 or 10 dollars shipped from this site.

I really hope this does fit, cheaper then buying an OEM ninja 250 mud guard haha.

Old August 8th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah its a pita. The hard part is getting the hugger to clear the exhaust can(s)

Getting the hugger to fit the swingarm is easy. Just trim the bottom of the undertail and trim the hugger in a few places, then you can get creative attaching it on the right side. I couldn't get it to clear my muzzy though
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #5
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

Name: dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Honda Shadow, 2008 ninja 250

anyone know the specs on this? I would love to quit throwing crap up into my shock
93etgocart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #6
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Like I said, exhaust can won't clear the hugger. Trust me. I spent an entire weekend futzing around with a dremel and plastic parts.

If you want to protect your shock, get some sheet metal, make a flap, and attach it to the two bolts right in front of the rear wheel that hold the undertail on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 8th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I will be making a hugger for my pregen but then again there will be many custom made parts on my build.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #8
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

@choneofakind Can you circle where you had issues? for me it seems to the arm holding the brake and brake line in place that would be the problem.

If anyone knows of any other bikes with OEM/Cheap huggers I wouldn't mind experimenting and seeing what we could get working for our 250s.

Old August 8th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The cbr hugger fits great on the swingarm and around the wheel. But to get it spaced evenly, you have to open it up, and then it hits the can. It clears the torque link fine. It won't clear the can without major cutting of the hugger that are IMHO, ugly.

If you can find a hugger that does not have the fake swingarm (a Scotts hugger for example) that should fit fine with some trimming of the undertail.

No need to circle, all I'm going to circle is the right exhaust can. The left one likely has the same issue but idk because I have a muzzy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 8th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #10
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Its worth a try with the stock cans though. From what I remember of my stock cans, they were also too close to my swingarm and would not have enough clearance for a higher with a fake swingarm thing like the cbr hugger

Ps monkey, I'm digging the black rear peg brackets
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 8th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
The cbr hugger fits great on the swingarm and around the wheel. But to get it spaced evenly, you have to open it up, and then it hits the can. It clears the torque link fine. It won't clear the can without major cutting of the hugger that are IMHO, ugly.

If you can find a hugger that does not have the fake swingarm (a Scotts hugger for example) that should fit fine with some trimming of the undertail.

No need to circle, all I'm going to circle is the right exhaust can. The left one likely has the same issue but idk because I have a muzzy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't most huggers for the new gens (and modern bikes) connect from only one side? I'm wondering why we couldn't just cut off the right holder almost entirely off.

I think it may be a whole different story since you used a muzzy as those sit in a completely different position than the stock pipes.

---

Barring any other advice against it/ experience with using this on stock pipes I may buy this and throw together a tutorial.

Old August 8th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
the shape of the hugger would look wrong if I just hacked the right side off because of how they integrated the hugger into the fake swingarm thing. Idk I'm sure I could hack enough off to make it work, but I thought it would look dumb, not to mention my track day and efi project kinda were more pressing

Go for it. I'll see what you did and possibly improve my retrofit based on how you do it.

The angle and position of the muzzy is nearly identical to the stock cans. I also have my tail raised a bunch, so I have more space to work with than you do.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 8th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #13
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
the shape of the hugger would look wrong if I just hacked the right side off because of how they integrated the hugger into the fake swingarm thing. Idk I'm sure I could hack enough off to make it work, but I thought it would look dumb, not to mention my track day and efi project kinda were more pressing

Go for it. I'll see what you did and possibly improve my retrofit based on how you do it.

The angle and position of the muzzy is nearly identical to the stock cans. I also have my tail raised a bunch, so I have more space to work with than you do.
Posted via Mobile Device

We'll see what I can futz together

Can you give me any measurements on CBR hugger? The length between the two bolts holes on the stock chain guard are ~11 inches. I assume they're the same on the newgens and that's why you only secure it to one hole in the newgen tutorial.

Old August 9th, 2012, 05:13 AM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I've modded that part sorry.

But the front hole on the cbr hugger is definitely too far forward and too low. I cut it off and epoxied it to a different place on the hugger so that I could bolt it to the stock mounting spots.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 10th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytofu View Post
Don't most huggers for the new gens (and modern bikes) connect from only one side? I'm wondering why we couldn't just cut off the right holder almost entirely off.

I think it may be a whole different story since you used a muzzy as those sit in a completely different position than the stock pipes.

---

Barring any other advice against it/ experience with using this on stock pipes I may buy this and throw together a tutorial.
The A-tech and Indonesian huggers make a fake swingarm design over both sides and are part of that or connect to it. Scott's hugger and that UK one are chain-guard replacements that attach on one side. Because you can swap to current-gen suspension, wheels, brakes, forks, shocks, swingarms, and all, you could grab all that and fit any J-bike hugger as long as there is enough clearance under the tail.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2012, 08:35 PM   #16
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Finally got it in the mail! planning begins tomorrow along with some fabric strength testing I'll be doing for my motorcycle jeans.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:46 PM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I would appreciate some help on cutting mine to fit.

2 brains is better than one right?

Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:57 PM   #18
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

@choneofakind

Just got mine on to the swingarm. I still don't see where you're getting a clearance issue on the right side.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:02 PM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I had the right side out on the outside of the torque link so that bolt wasn't visible and the hugger part was flush-ish with the right side of the swingarm. That same part was rubbing on my can.

Maybe it's the Muzzy can being a larger diameter. Maybe your rear pegs brackets are spaced out wider than mine. Keep going. I'm watching how you do this.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:13 PM   #20
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Thinking of cutting off the plastic below the red line on the left and after the red line on the right. I'll need to drill a hole at the red cross on the left and I'll have to take the tab I cut off from either side and attach it to the cross on the right to make a hole that will sit on the swing arm fastener.
The left side should sit like the original mud guard if I do this, at least on the left side.

On the right the plastic will be flush with the edge of the swing arm instead of sitting on top of it. I'll cut that tab to the right to get rid of the ugly hole and I'm thinking about using metal/piper's tape to create a fastener for the other hole. Or, I could use the brake line guide:

And drill a line through it and run a bolt through that. This is just some rough planning on my part and I'm open for any suggestions you guys might have.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:21 PM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I also used the brake line holder as a mounting point.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:05 PM   #22
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Progress so far. I should be done later tonight/in the morning and I'll have a tutorial thread up if I don't destroy the whole thing.

Easy enough to do. I used a 15/64 bit, I'm guessing a 6mm or larger would would work fine as well.

The cut I'm thinking about doing for the back. I'm too worried about my sprocket catching on that ending and the hole is kind of ugly.

Going to use this or the ending I cut off to make the second holder. Bought some multi use cement that should work for ABS.

Quote:
I also used the brake line holder as a mounting point.
It seems to be the only way of holding the hugger to the right side, other than using a zip tie which I want to avoid.

Quote:
Ps monkey, I'm digging the black rear peg brackets
Posted via Mobile Device
Totally missed this! Yes, they do look a lot better than the silver ones. I just scuffed them up with some sand paper I had laying around and used flat black engine paint. It's stood up pretty well so far!

Old August 24th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #23
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Need some help guys. Trying to connect a piece I cut off to the main body, but what should I do? I've tried ABS cement but it came off even when I let it sit for 3 hours. I've sanded both sides a bit and I've clamped the two together with 2 C clamps but I'm not sure if that will do it. It needs to be a high strength connection.

Ideas?

Old August 25th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #24
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I used J-B weld and clamped it down with a c-clamp while it dried.

Not pretty, but I can always paint over it with flat black so it all matches.

Also, it's ABS plastic right? do you have any ABS cement?

Old August 25th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #25
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
I used J-B weld and clamped it down with a c-clamp while it dried.

Not pretty, but I can always paint over it with flat black so it all matches.

Also, it's ABS plastic right? do you have any ABS cement?
I assumed it was ABS but ABS cement is doing absolutely nothing! I might try some other plastic weld but I'm at a loss here, maybe I'll contact Honda customer support and ask them if it's ABS

Old August 25th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #26
C L
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2014 300

Did you try using epoxy + mesh on the underside?
When I had to fix some ABS of mine I held the 2 pieces with clear packing tape on 1 side(to act like a hinge) and put epoxy along the crack and on the back with mesh and it came out pretty good. Peeled the tape off after hardening
C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #27
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
if nothing else works, try J-B weld 2 part epoxy. that's what I used and it worked great.

Old August 25th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #28
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

JB weld was the answer, thanks @choneofakind. I plan to repaint this whole thing so it's not a big deal if it looks a bit ugly before hand. I'm guessing this isn't actually ABS plastic because the ABS cement worked fine on a crack in my lower fairing but not on these.

Should I let this piece sit for a day before I work with it?

Old August 26th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #29
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I did. It sat there in a clamp for a day and it has held fine since then.

Old August 26th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #30
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Jb weld didn't work too well. I was able to pull the piece off. I'm thinking about drilling through and filling the holes with jb weld. though I don't know how this will affect the look. I'll sand it down afterwards I guess and repaint the whole thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 27th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #31
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

I've given up on the old method. I decided to go with one of my ideas of drilling into both pieces.

hopefully this will work better.

Old August 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #32
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
hmmm. I used the stock rear hole and modded the front end and made brackets to work for the back and the right side. Maybe that's why my spacing what different than yours?

I'll be home this weekend. I'll take pictures of my hugger as it sits now and see if we can compare notes.

Old August 27th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #33
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
hmmm. I used the stock rear hole and modded the front end and made brackets to work for the back and the right side. Maybe that's why my spacing what different than yours?

I'll be home this weekend. I'll take pictures of my hugger as it sits now and see if we can compare notes.
Yeah, that's probably why. I've gotten it in a position that I want and now the hard issue is to get this tab held in place without it moving. if I could warm up and bend this plastic a bit making this joint wouldn't be so hard. As it stands now this tab holds the chain guard part straight so the chain isn't scraping against it and that kind of puts pressure on the connection.

hopefully I can finish this project tomorrow since I have classes on wednesday. repainting shouldn't be too hard though, just going to use some fender/ bumper paint.

Old August 27th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #34
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Nope JB weld didn't work. I'm going to hall honda customer support and try to figure out what the hell this thing is made of. I'll probably end up using bolts to hold this piece on if I can't figure out anything else.

I don't think the bondo and mesh will provide the strength I'm looking for.

Old August 28th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #35
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
JB weld never holds for me.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #36
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

The hugger is currently on my bike. Repainted and totally secured. Tutorial and pictures of it on the bike will be coming this week.

Just a bit of a tease I guess:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old August 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #37
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nice! Maybe I just got lucky on my JB weld. I goobered the crap out of it and left it in a clamp for a day or two.

Was your JB weld the 2-part epoxy kind? That's what I used. Huh.

ANNYHOWWW I'm waiting on pictures. I'll get back to figuring mine out over winter break/eventually whenever I feel like getting around to it I'll have the can off anyways to re-pack my can, so that sounds like a good time to work on the bike.

Old August 29th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #38
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Here's a couple pictures of the hugger after a day of riding. I don't know if I'll be keeping it on my bike now that I've seen the points of contact it has against the inner body plastics whenever you hit a bump or the shock compresses. I haven't noticed any loss in control or anything like that but it's kind of worrying.

I really love the look of the chain guard though. Looks way better than the doinky pregen one.

Also, Any idea what this liquid could be?

Felt oily, but had no smell

Old August 29th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #39
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Chain lube.

Cut the under tail like I did. I basically just followed the lines of the tail so that it looks a little cleaner as well. These are the only pictures I have of it that show how I cut stuff off. notice that you can see through right in front of my rear wheel. Also, my tail is raised, so there's more space on top of the wheel, but ignore that for now.

you'll have tons of clearance once you get that trimmed off a little bit

Old August 29th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #40
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Chain lube.

Cut the under tail like I did. I basically just followed the lines of the tail so that it looks a little cleaner as well. These are the only pictures I have of it that show how I cut stuff off. notice that you can see through right in front of my rear wheel. Also, my tail is raised, so there's more space on top of the wheel, but ignore that for now.

you'll have tons of clearance once you get that trimmed off a little bit
Hmm I think I'll do that this weekend. Does it serve any purpose that the hugger wouldn't if I cut them off?

Also nice grills, did you follow the 250 wiki to do those? I've considered doing that mod but I'm not sure if it would look good on my bike.