ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #1
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

Name: dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Honda Shadow, 2008 ninja 250

Looking for help to "pimp my ride"

So me and my wife have agreed that instead of getting a new bike at tax time I should get my 250 back into nice and shiny condition. So new fairings will be on order, along with new mirrors and a new front tire. I would also like to get a 2 into 1 exhaust but cant seem to find a good place to order one online. Among the to order list is also a corbin seat, I would also like to get a better rear shock and upgrade the front forks but dont really know where to start. So ive probably got around 2 grand to spend which I know the fairings and corbin will take up most of that, after that im really up for suggestions. Just keep in mind that the color scheme for the bike is green and black
93etgocart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
don't forget the bags. they always add bags on that show.

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #3
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

lol ya and big speakers

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

why don't you just repair any cracks in your fairing with ABS cement and then get them repainted instead of buying totally new fairings?
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #5
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

honestly the fairings I have arent that bad but they have been repaired so many times I would really like to just get all new ones

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If I wanted to spend $2K on a ninjette, I'm not sure I'd invest it in tricking out a 12 year old version of one. Unless you're heavily invested into some mods that are already on it, wouldn't it make more sense to just sell it for $1400 - $1600, buy a pristine new-gen for $2500 - $2700, and then put $1000 worth of mods into it? (like a corbin seat, and maybe the front springs). You wouldn't have to touch the fairings, and the rear shock is likely fine for street use. By my math, you'd come out ahead, and have a much newer bike.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #7
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You beat me to it Alex.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #9
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

It is an option but not really my main option. If im going to buy a new bike I would rather just buy a bigger bike. I really like my pregen it has always been the bike I want

Old November 13th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #10
psych0hans

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
If I wanted to spend $2K on a ninjette, I'm not sure I'd invest it in tricking out a 12 year old version of one. Unless you're heavily invested into some mods that are already on it, wouldn't it make more sense to just sell it for $1400 - $1600, buy a pristine new-gen for $2500 - $2700, and then put $1000 worth of mods into it? (like a corbin seat, and maybe the front springs). You wouldn't have to touch the fairings, and the rear shock is likely fine for street use. By my math, you'd come out ahead, and have a much newer bike.

Old November 13th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #11
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

so does anyone have any real advice as to where to get parts for a pregen?

Old November 13th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #12
Dragonracer76
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93etgocart View Post
so does anyone have any real advice as to where to get parts for a pregen?
junkyard.

seriously, getting a newer bike is a much better idea. asthetically, finacially, getting a newer bike and upgrading for the same or less cost is where it's at. Or be stubborn and throw money down the drain. you wouldn't be the first

Old November 13th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #13
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

my bike is mechanically perfect why sell it and chance getting something that hasnt been maintained correctly. I like making things mine and ive already come to terms with the fact that the money i put into this bike will not be worth anything to anyone but me. If i wanted to know what kind of bike I should buy I wouldnt be asking what I am. Im going to be stubborn and stick with my pregen, besides it is a much sexier bike and not a wanna be SS

Old November 13th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
besides it is a much sexier bike

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #15
Dragonracer76
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

haha.. have fun

Old November 13th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #16
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Take it from the biggest pregen fanboy ever: I wouldn't even blow 2k on my bike in one shot. I'm done spending money on my bike now. It's going to be ridden like this till it's wrecked, dead, sold, or a combination of the 3.

I've spent that much on it over the 3 years that I've owned it, but if I had 2k right here right now, I wouldn't spend it on fairings. I'd sell it cheap (like 1100 so it sells fast) and either get a larger bike, or a newer 250 and do small handling mods with the left-over money.

But if you're hell bent on repairing/changing this one: ebay is always a great place for parts for these bikes, just be ready to repaint the fairings that you get.

EDIT: I guess I should also tell you to check out my blog (link in my sig) to see what I've done to my bike. It's a rather large list I plan to keep the bike.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Ok, I will bite. The problem is not with what you want to do but instead lies with how you asked your question.

I am in the process of soaking about 2k into a pregen when it's all said and done. Learning project for me mostly but also a first bike for my wife and to be passed to my son. We all have our reasons, you have yours and it's your cash.

You have 3 paths here, performance, farkles or rider upgrades.

As far as farkles, the market is mostly dry as the bike is old as you might expect. Ebay... is your friend here. In my research, I have found ways to get clipons and such on with spacers and other custom fabbed parts. Lemme us know and we can chat specifically about specific items. Custom paint is always cool if done tastefully. Colored brake lines as was as a full spit **** to get the bike super clean. Choices are endless.

Performance wise, you can start with suspension, exhaust/jetting, rearsets and clipons. Windscreens and such are nice and all but the effects you really feel are just not there. Woodcraft makes some stuff for the pregen models. But again, I would start with ebay.

Rider upgrades are the best!!!! Take a class, do a track day or new gear. Why? because even in stock form you just might be surprised what you already have is truly capable of. And you'll never know the confidence and a full leather suit will give you until you put one on for a ride.

Which path do you want to go down? Let's get that paper spent so you can be ballin yo!!!

Old November 14th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #18
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Ok, I will bite. The problem is not with what you want to do but instead lies with how you asked your question.

I am in the process of soaking about 2k into a pregen when it's all said and done. Learning project for me mostly but also a first bike for my wife and to be passed to my son. We all have our reasons, you have yours and it's your cash.

You have 3 paths here, performance, farkles or rider upgrades.

As far as farkles, the market is mostly dry as the bike is old as you might expect. Ebay... is your friend here. In my research, I have found ways to get clipons and such on with spacers and other custom fabbed parts. Lemme us know and we can chat specifically about specific items. Custom paint is always cool if done tastefully. Colored brake lines as was as a full spit **** to get the bike super clean. Choices are endless.

Performance wise, you can start with suspension, exhaust/jetting, rearsets and clipons. Windscreens and such are nice and all but the effects you really feel are just not there. Woodcraft makes some stuff for the pregen models. But again, I would start with ebay.

Rider upgrades are the best!!!! Take a class, do a track day or new gear. Why? because even in stock form you just might be surprised what you already have is truly capable of. And you'll never know the confidence and a full leather suit will give you until you put one on for a ride.

Which path do you want to go down? Let's get that paper spent so you can be ballin yo!!!
First off thank you for an actual reply, as far as getting a different bike is concerned its not really what I want. Ive always loved the older model ninja 250 and honestly as much as id like a bigger bike its just not the right choice for me (speeding and whatnot). I really want to just get the bike back into a nice and shiny state. Mainly farkles and comfort mods, minus the whole 2-1 exhaust and the obvious rejet. A new shock would be nice to get alot of the sag that my 190lbs puts on the old shock and maybe let my wife ride on the back. I came to all of you to try and get advice on where to buy stuff from and not to hear everyone tell me to just sell the pregen and get a newer bike. It is already in great mechanical condition so the need for a newer bike is not really justified

Old November 14th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

No problem yo, everyone here is just looking out in your best interest, it's what we do. If you love the bike and are keeping it forever, then putting ANY amount of money/time into need not be justified. So, enough about all that.....

Exhaust... by far, see if you can get an area p 2 into 1 full exhaust with the quiet core. They are out of production so it will be tough to find and expensive for a pregen but totally worth the effort to look. Looks great, nice performance gain and sounds good to boot. A stage 2 jet kit is all that is required for street riding. Or if your good at tuning a new main and some shims will do the trick along with turning some adjusting screws. @choneofakind can tell you where to buy just a main jet(s) or take your pick of stores that carry the stage 2 kits.

Fairings: Honestly get some new/used ones from ebay while you still can. You also have the option of race fairings. If you have a steady hand and patience with a dremel tool, you can have some real fun with race fairings poking holes for lights and such. And..... try to repair your old ones too (spares). Once you get pretty good with plastifix, you can do some amazing stuff. (search plastifix on youtube) And paint is just that, paint.

Rear shock: Read here. The gsxr shock mod can be made on the pregen too. Getting the bones and spacers right is the key but worth the winter effort and really cheap. Get the shock from ebay, have someone like @Rexbo make you a set of bones. (Hey Rexbo! You ship my bones yet?) Remember balance though. If you adjust the height of the rear, adjust the front as needed to keep the bike turning as it should.

Forks: Try just heavier oil first before getting into new springs and such.

Turn signals: OMG... flush mount the front ones. There are plenty to choose from on Ebay from china but read carefully. Not all of them cover the fairing indentation completely. If you get some that don't a bit, of shaped plastic and plain black or carbon fiber vinyl wrap will take care of that. The rear signals are a bit easier. Just integrate them into the existing tail light on the sides.

Rear fender: This takes some work but worth the effort. Take the tail off and remove the rear fender. A small piece of bent aluminum (lowes or home depot) with some holes drilled should mount up your plate without issue. 2 things to remember here, lic. plate light and angle of bend. About 55 degrees on the bend and wire your light however you like. Use an LED light if you can. I got all my stuff from lowes.

Hugger: Do this!!!! http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111255 Less cleaning more riding!!!

Lights: I believe choneofakind can also tip you on how to upgrade your headlamp to something brighter. Maybe I am mistaken here but I think he did his. Great mod for riding at night.

Grips: Look cool and I like fatter grips (from my cruiser days) Ebay has tons to choose from.

Rearsets: Get an adjuster kit for a new gen. Or full adjustable rearsets It should fit (maybe a bit of contact) without problems. Yoshimura as well woodcraft have the goods. May take some custom fab work to get the shift linkage right or mount the brake hardware. Should be easy work though, not heavy fab work.

How bout some gauges? Check this out. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97197

Old November 14th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Flush mount DIY here.

Old November 14th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #21
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

flush mounts are already done thanks to a drop. The current fairings would for sure be kept for spares in case another accident happens or my wife finally decides to try and learn to ride. As far as fab work im not scared its what I do for a living. I will look at all the links you provided, I really appreciate it.

Old November 14th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #22
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

If you really wanted to P.I.M.P your ride. Maybe drop it, stretch it, fuzz it and add some BASS to it or something.

Like this...

DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #23
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
@choneofakind can tell you where to buy just a main jet(s)
http://jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_street/...X250_Ninja.htm

Quote:
Lights: I believe choneofakind can also tip you on how to upgrade your headlamp to something brighter. Maybe I am mistaken here but I think he did his. Great mod for riding at night.
Yepp. I have a 4500k 35W HID kit from DDM tuning. It's an H4 hi/lo kit with some vinyl on my headlight to control glare.

It's hella bright, never had people angrily bright me because I aimed it low. The glare really isn't terrible this way because I wasn't dumb about it:

...but the light isn't projected right for my liking. There's too many "hot spots" and the light pattern is pretty constricted and not wide enough. So I bought a bi-xenon projector, new 4300k bulbs, an adapter to power the bulb, some LED's, and a spare headlight to do surgery on. I just need to get it on the bike this week or next week. (conveniently the DDM kit hi/lo control is the same connector as the power to the little gate inside the projector that controls hi/lo beam, so I have no hard wiring to do) I'll let you know how that goes.

Old November 14th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #24
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

Cool so once you get it figured out all I will need to do is ride to Ohio right?

Old November 15th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #25
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ha, no. I'll be doing a DIY if I can get it to work right. I'm still not sure if I have enough space in the housing to use the oem reflector to mount the projector or if I have to make my own mounting plate.

Old November 15th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #26
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

ya but an experienced person would make it alot easier for the install

Old November 15th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #27
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yes it would, but I promise, it's pretty intuitive! Especially the H4 hi/lo kit from DDM. Only thing I had to do was lengthen one wire by splicing/soldering more wire in, and coil up the wiring for a second headlight.

Using vinyl really helped control glare from the HID, but it's not perfect. That's why I'm doing the projector retrofit.

Old November 20th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #28
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
wouldn't it make more sense to just sell it for $1400 - $1600, buy a pristine new-gen for $2500 - $2700, and then put $1000 worth of mods into it? (like a corbin seat, and maybe the front springs). You wouldn't have to touch the fairings, and the rear shock is likely fine for street use. By my math, you'd come out ahead, and have a much newer bike.
But you'd have to own a much uglier, slower, fatter, and younger bike... Why go for the middle child of the ninja family when you have the successful first child?

Quote:

Exhaust... by far, see if you can get an area p....
I think Area P still produces these if you can get enough people together for a group buy. Didn't ninjette have one a couple weeks back?

Quote:
Rear shock: Read here. The gsxr shock mod can be made on the pregen too...
You may want to try a newgen shock. takes 20 minutes to install (unless you lose your only 17mm socket like I did) and is cheap.

Quote:
Hugger: Do this!!!! http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111255 Less cleaning more riding!!!
Please don't follow my steps in that thread. From what I assume are no responses from @choneofakind in that thread, his hugger is working perfectly without any wearing or damage like my mod did.

IMO, the guard doesn't stylistically fit with the bike either, but that's in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:
Grips: Look cool and I like fatter grips (from my cruiser days) Ebay has tons to choose from.
Avoid most aluminum/rubber grips on ebay. They look sweet but they wear down fast if you use your bike a lot.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:12 AM   #29
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Dennis, +1 regarding the new gen shock. I have one on mine. Simple to install and will tighten up the rear of the bike nicely.

Jeff

Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:27 AM   #30
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
$2000 would pay for a nice road trip next summer.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:35 AM   #31
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

During the summer I'm working anywhere from 60 to 84 hours a week so no time for a road trip. I'll add a newgen shock to the list of parts needed

Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:06 AM   #32
psych0hans

One good way to "pimp" your ride would be to get a flashy pain scheme... Shouldn't be TOO expensive if you do the work yourself and will definitely give your bike a new lease of life...

Old November 25th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #33
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytofu View Post
From what I assume are no responses from @choneofakind in that thread, his hugger is working perfectly without any wearing or damage like my mod did
yessir! It does great, no contact, and no issues with it.

I had the bike out over thanksgiving break and managed to find a mile long stretch of road that was all mud. The only clean thing under there was the shock

Made me mad to see such a dirty bike, but then the shock was clean and it made me smile. So worth all the cleaning.

EDIT:
Teaser for my bixenon retrofit! I'll do a complete write-up. So far, me likey I still need to finish wiring up my LED halo.

If you want to see more pictures before I get around to my thread, check out my profile

Last futzed with by choneofakind; November 25th, 2012 at 10:08 PM.

Old November 26th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #34
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119789

Old January 6th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #35
shaggy
ninjette.org member

Name: shaggy

Motorcycle(s): 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Yamaha XT225, 09 Ninja 250, 94 Ninja 250, 87 DR200

1st gen lover too

I have a 94 1st gen that I "had" to do something to. I looked into an exhaust "up grade" to the Muzzy 2 into 1 http://search.cartserver.com/search/...s=100&go=GO%21and decided that the benefits, slight increase in hp and loss of weight did not out weight the loss of the center stand and the hassle of re jetting, not mention that $400+ goes a long ways on things the really matter.
I did the basic stuff, paint, tires, polished some parts, chain/sprockets, swing arm bushings, new shock, serviced the front forks, brake pads and ???
I have read that the 1st gens are faster and handle better than the 2nds. Just got an 09 with 1600 miles on it and will do a comparison for myself this coming riding season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010068.jpg (156.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg P1010072.jpg (126.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg P1010074.jpg (159.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg P1010119.jpg (177.7 KB, 2 views)
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #36
Hunsy34
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 2016 Ninja 300 1994 KTM 300 EXC

Fender eliminator that's a DIY, rim tape, flush mount turn signals. There is a decent shot of the back of my old bike in my sig. I can get you more pics if you want. I put the rear turn signals into the back light piece. 2 into 1 exhaust. Oh yeah I had R1 mirrors on my bike too
Hunsy34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #37
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Full Muzzy Systems are totally worth it if you can find one used. I didn't think it would be worth it either, then I found one for about $120 on Ebay. The bike feels great with it.

Then again, I also did a full fuel injection system and a bi-xenon retrofit, so take my advice with a grain of salt here. My bike is my toy.

Old January 21st, 2013, 05:47 AM   #38
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

ok so update I may have the ability to buy a new 300 instead of just spending part of my tax money on the bike i may get to use it all. So needless to say I would much rather get a new bike than upgrade the one I already have. I am also most likely getting my uncles honda shadow, so I will have 3 bikes unless my co-worker decides he wants to buy my pregen.

Old January 21st, 2013, 06:02 AM   #39
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

So all of the whining and yelling at people in this thread was pointless because they were right... lol

Cool **** though! Post up pictures if you end up getting the the 3hunny! What color?

Old January 21st, 2013, 06:07 AM   #40
psych0hans

Quote:
ok so update I may have the ability to buy a new 300 instead of just spending part of my tax money on the bike i may get to use it all. So needless to say I would much rather get a new bike than upgrade the one I already have. I am also most likely getting my uncles honda shadow, so I will have 3 bikes unless my co-worker decides he wants to buy my pregen.
Good luck on the new bike...