ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 9th, 2016, 11:44 PM   #1
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Racing Suit : Cortech Latigo RR 2.0

Hey guys... Need your opinion. I guess this is the right section to post this thread? Please tell me if this is inappropriate.

Never own a one piece racing suit before...

Browsed RevZilla and found this beautiful piece they are having. As an entry level racing suit, would this be a great buy?
Abu_Mishary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #2
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
I just realized I have posted this at the wrong section! My bad moderators!
Thousand apologies.

Old February 10th, 2016, 10:23 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Not my first suit, but for a year now riding in the older model Latigo RR. STG is running a lovely price on it right now at $379. I would expect the 2.0 version of this suit to be much the same in terms of overall build quality and fitment.

Are they good first suits? Absolutely! The bang for buck is definately there. Unfortunately... I have crash tested mine and it held up even better than I expected but ymmv as every crash is different. :\ The suit vents VERY, VERY well and can be kinda cold in the very low temps, but is awesome in the hot weather. The only con with fitment that I have is that the length between the knee and ankle is kinda long and I will have to have it shortened so it's more comfortable inside the boot.

Hope I was helpful and if you have any specific questions let me know and I will give my best insight.

Happy shopping!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2016, 06:00 PM   #4
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Hope I was helpful and if you have any specific questions let me know and I will give my best insight.

Happy shopping!
Thank you csmith12. Here goes :

1) What should I expect the most from this brand besides the size fitment? Is it comfort or something else? Some of the videos of other brands also mention on the radius of the velcro knee slider placement which is also considered as a setback for some brands.

2) Is it advisable to purchase matching boots from the same manufacturer? The customers' review from one of Cortech's boot is kind of not-so appealing.

3) What quality of leather hide should I be looking at?

4) What is the first thing I should look out for a racing suit?

Old February 10th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Question 1 - From my own experience and having other friends that wear cortech gear the quality, comfort and most other aspects of suit ownership are on the same level as most other popular brands in the same price range. I have no issue with the placement of the velcro for the pucks but my body position is on the "racey" and aggressive side. Over the years, I have seen some rider's position on the bike is a factor in placement problems. But since even my own latigo suit is long in that area, maybe there is more too that story.

I will do some scores for you, 1 = lowest 10 = best
Fitment torso: 8.5
Fitment arms: 9
Fitment legs: 8
Fitment shoulders: 9.5
Fitment buttox/crotch: 7
Armor shoulders: 8.5
Armor elbows: 8
Armor spine: 7.5
Armor hips: 6
Armor knees: 9
Armor shins: 8.5
Armor chest: 5
Armor thighs: 5
Stretch panels: 9
Comfort: 9
Quality: 8.5
Seams: 8
Suppleness: 8

fyi, I would give very similar scores to my A* suit.

Question 2: I have no direct experience with cortech boots. I am not sure if there are any specific benefits to matching the two gear items together. Is it recommended, nah... get what you want. If you want them to match fine, if not that is fine too. Based on the amount of track riders I have meet, only a small percentage race in the cortech boots. You are free to put whatever stock in that as you see fit. When I bought my boots for racing, I looked at cortech but ultimately went with another brand for additional features.

Question 3: Many, many, many riders have crashed just fine in plain old cowhide leather but of course if you want the luxury of more supple leather types, you can go with kangaroo or goat. I find it mostly unneeded unless you need additional comfort in the paddock while wearing the suit. Solving that problem is to buy a more comfortable suit or to take it off. Getting in and out of your suit should be an "event" and proper undergarments will help in a major way. What does that really mean? Why spend $1k more for a kangaroo suit for more comfort while off the bike when you can spend $100 and get the suit off in 30 seconds. Your choice... Good undergarments can make a non top grade suit more comfortable while on the bike too. With the Latigo line of suits, you might also strongly consider padded shorts for the extra hip impact protection. These suits are weak in this area. And speaking of leather, thickness should be a factor in your decision. I will absolutely NOT race in cheap thin leather gear items. The latigo is plenty thick enough to go sliding down the tarmac. After all, I trust it with my life. Higher end leather suits can offer the same amount of protection with thinner leather. When race weight matters, you shave it anywhere you can.

Question 4: First thing to consider in ALL gear no matter it's purpose is fitment. Once you get past that part, next is deciding your armor need & layout. With the latigo, your should consider some additional back and chest armor. You can elect to take the factory padding out of the suit and buy armor that fits in the slots, wear the armor under the suit or I have even seen riders wear additional armor over the suit. I very much prefer a standalone chest and back protector, worn under the suit. Next consideration would be the venting and airflow. Based on the temps you will be riding in how much airflow should penetrate the suit. The latigo flows air very, very well and I get cold when the temps drop to around 45f.

Lastly, the suit should be mildly uncomfortable when it's fresh and new. Just like most clothing items, the suit will "break in". Keep that in your mind when you first put it on, the tightness in the creases in the inner elbow and behind the behind the knee will get much better, meaning the leather stretches (the suit gets bigger), not shrinking like your normal street clothes.

Feel free to ask anything else, happy to help.

Old February 10th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #6
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
What was your Latigo suit's size and your waist measurement?

Not to ask you for a dance just to get a rough estimation on the size. Lol.

Old February 10th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I am;

5'11''
175lbs
31'' waist
Suit size is "small"

I like 80's big hair slow jams... but to really boogie down, nothing beats some old school run dmc cassette tapes.

Old February 10th, 2016, 08:11 PM   #8
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
nothing beats some old school run dmc cassette tapes.
Don't forget a pencil. If you know what I mean...

Old February 10th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Old March 5th, 2016, 03:49 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to gear area

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #11
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
/moved to gear area
Thanx so much Alex. I apologize on the trouble