ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 19th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Track suit issues

Hey everybody, my Victoria race suit came in and I tried it on this morning and it fits great but I'm having a couple of minor issues that I'm hoping for some advice on

First: if I put on the back protector (A Forcefield L2) then when I take off the suit the top of the back protector tends to get 'caught' in the neck roll and it becomes a funny little dance to get one arm free. Any tricks here?

Second: if I wear both my back protector and chest protector the suit is just too tight to zip up. I might try putting on gloves for better grip on the zipper and try again, but it'll be pretty difficult (if possible at all) no matter what I do I suspect. Since every other part of the suit fits perfectly I'm /really/ hesitant to return it and go up a size. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
1. tape

2. water

Old March 19th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #3
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Does that suit come with a speed hump? If I recall correctly, they're usually removable, and that may make just enough room for both protectors to fit under the suit.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Hey everybody, my Victoria race suit came in and I tried it on this morning and it fits great but I'm having a couple of minor issues that I'm hoping for some advice on

First: if I put on the back protector (A Forcefield L2) then when I take off the suit the top of the back protector tends to get 'caught' in the neck roll and it becomes a funny little dance to get one arm free. Any tricks here?
Nope, sounds perfect for a new suit. An undersuit (base layer) makes it easier to get on and off. Also allows for moisture wicking and is a slick material.

Quote:
Second: if I wear both my back protector and chest protector the suit is just too tight to zip up. I might try putting on gloves for better grip on the zipper and try again, but it'll be pretty difficult (if possible at all) no matter what I do I suspect. Since every other part of the suit fits perfectly I'm /really/ hesitant to return it and go up a size. Any suggestions?
Did the suit come with a back protector/pad already inserted? If so, remove it.

The suit should break in a bit and allow more room. Alex says water (warm/hot) because that can aid in stretching the leather. If your down to keep the suit, there are back/chest protectors of different thicknesses that could also help.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #5
r6boater
ninjette.org member

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): '04 R1 and '08 Ninja 250

1. Get help taking it off.

2. Put on a sweatshirt, and the leathers with back and chest protectors on as well. Then get in the shower and soak the leathers. Wear them 30-60 minutes (until you get too cold). Lay them flat to dry, turning them over a few times. They should dry in less than a day. Try them on again and see if it freed them up...if not, put on two sweatshirts and repeat the process.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Many professional racers use the funky chicken method to get their suit off but it's only for the highly skilled me thinks. Most people still don't use a chest protector so suits aren't really sized for them in mind, but it will loosen up a bit.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I had the same issue with my original, entry-level suit (previously owned but unused)... I sold it before riding in it, went up a size and now I'm good to go.

My new suit is one size larger than I wear in a jacket. My jacket has no chest armor but does have an L2 Forcefield back protector insert. For use in the suit I have the Forcefield L2 Flite vest (back and chest).

The suit I originally had was the same size I wear in a jacket, and fit as you describe... I could get the zipper up but it was OHMYGODTHISISTOOTIGHT. As in the zipper pull would literally bruise my finger. Plus, it was restricting my breathing a bit. I'm certain it was causing my blood pressure to rise.

I did all the break-in tricks -- including the kinky shower routine and wearing the suit around the house for many hours -- but it was still too small to accommodate the back plus chest protectors.

For the record, I have two jackets and have now experienced two suits. My experience has been that suits are cut more snug than the same brand/similar model of jacket.

Jacket 1: Frank Thomas XTi leather jacket with Forcefield back insert, size EU50. Has room for a quilted liner in addition to the back protector upgrade. Comfortable but not baggy fit.
Suit 1: Frank Thomas XTi II one-piece suit, size EU50. One would think that being the same size it'd fit the same as the jacket, but no. Cut as if it were at least one size smaller.

Jacket 2: A* GP-Pro jacket, same back protector, size EU50. Trimmer cut than the Frank Thomas, more comfortable even though its tighter.
Suit 2: A* GP-Pro suit, size 52 EU. Even though it's one size up, it's a tad tighter than the jacket when I wear it with just a back protector. With the chest protector added in it's snug... tighter than my jacket but in a good way. If I were to use only a back protector with this suit, I could get away with the same size as the jacket. The chest armor is what makes the size increase necessary.

I chose this suit based on actual trial, which I HIGHLY recommend if you can do it. I made the trip down to Revzilla's retail store, pretty much convinced (based on online research) that a different suit would be right. There is no substitute for actually trying the thing on when you're talking about a product as closely fitted as a race suit. One reason the GP Pro works so well for me is that it has expansion panels down the sides of the torso, unlike the lower-end suits.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

More info needed. Pics in and out of the suit with close ups of the problem areas.

Old March 19th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #9
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I actually tried on the Victoria last year to get my size (42) but at the store they only had me try on a back protector (I didn't have my chest protector at that moment and they didn't suggest it).

I wear Rev'It size 34 pants and size 36 jacket. Using RevZilla that's:
Jacket: 32-34" chest 26-27" waist
Pants: 25-26" waist 35" hips 28" inseam 37" outseam

Then for the Dainese:
32.3" chest 26" waist 36.2" hips 30.3" inseam 40.6" outseam 64.6" height

I'll give it another shot in a little bit (it gets hot fast wearing that thing standing still) and see if I can't get it to zip up. If I can get pretty close I'll try the water trick, but I don't want to do that until I'm sure I'm keeping it. The fit is great though -- just a hair awkward to move around in which is my understanding of 'right'.

As to pictures: no, you are not getting shots of my "warrior princess" armored bust trying to fit into this thing :P

Old March 19th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #10
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Thank you for taking that in stride. It had to be done. That dance is just part of getting the suit on and off. My back protector also gets stuck in the same way. My girlfriend/crew chief/team owner/title sponsor helps me out of it. Once you are sure you're going to keep the suit do the water trick, or if you want a better fitting suit you might want to try a Pilot suit. All of them are custom made even the off the shelf sizes. I have one and I'm waiting on my second one which is a full custom fit suit. They are also well made. My current suit has been through two crashes and only has cosmetic damage.

Old March 19th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #11
thelazyone22
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Roland

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

If you wear your chest protector and back protector consistently, get a size up. The sweater / shower thing MIGHT help but honestly, there is no substitute for getting the best fit possible, especially for a non-fitted, off the rack suit. With your protectors, you are "bigger" than without so it's not like buying a T-shirt.

The Forcefield is one of the strappy-type back protectors? Is it possible to wear it more snugly (for it slipping issue, not the sizing issue)? I have a Icon Stryker vest so no issues with it staying on when shrugging out of the one-piece but that's a more fitted vest and it has big velcro strap-patches.

The other thing that has been mentioned that is a tremendous help is an undersuit. Helps with both sweat and getting the suit on and off. First time I tried my one piece on, T-shirt and shorts, it took me like like 20 minutes, didn't feel great and I was sweating like crazy. Now with an Underarmour shirt and leggings, it takes longer to zip up my boots than put on the suit.

The real important thing is there's nothing quite like wearing a well-fitting one-piece suit. I prefer mine over all the loose two-piece gear I have even if it's a bit more involved to get ready for / put on / change out of because I quite literally forget I have it on when I'm on the bike.
thelazyone22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #12
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

You could also get one of those air vests. I got my jacket and it just fits but I didn't think about a chest protector at the time. And now I'm finding that the hump is hitting my helmet but that's another story.

I suspect she's worried some other section of the suit that fit great will shift with a bigger size.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #13
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
I suspect she's worried some other section of the suit that fit great will shift with a bigger size.
Yes, exactly that.

Also the point where the zipper refuses to progress doesn't make much sense -- it's fairly low (about the bottom of my ribs) even though I can just take both of my hands and 'pull' the suit nearly together across midchest (which is where I'd expect it to get finnicky). I'm still playing with it trying to get it zipped up with both pieces of gear on. I may try stopping by BeachMoto to look for a thinner back protector, but the ForceField isn't terribly huge (it is fairly /tall/ for me, even in size small, but not unreasonably so)

Old March 19th, 2014, 06:29 PM   #14
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Maybe the zipper is catching on the wind blocking lip thingy (that's the technical term) then?

Old March 19th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #15
thelazyone22
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Roland

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Yes, exactly that.

Also the point where the zipper refuses to progress doesn't make much sense -- it's fairly low (about the bottom of my ribs) even though I can just take both of my hands and 'pull' the suit nearly together across midchest (which is where I'd expect it to get finnicky). I'm still playing with it trying to get it zipped up with both pieces of gear on. I may try stopping by BeachMoto to look for a thinner back protector, but the ForceField isn't terribly huge (it is fairly /tall/ for me, even in size small, but not unreasonably so)
That's the unfortunate reality with off-the-rack suits; they're stitched to specification, not unique situations.

One thing you can try that hasn't been mentioned yet is bend over (like 90 degrees if necessary) and then try to zip up. One piece suits are designed for the tuck position, not standing straight up. This is more prevalent on V zip ups with hip to neck zips but it might help with the groin to neck zip as well.
thelazyone22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #16
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Right now I'm just wearing it with the chest protector and trying to contort myself to keep it all 'tense' and see if that loosens anything up. I'll also re-try zipping up in a tuck (it's a bit weird to hold that position off the bike, but hey whatever works).
Next thing to try would be a smaller back and/or chest protector I think. Last option is to go up a size. I may also try riding down to the Orange County DStore to see if they have any suggestions.

Old March 19th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #17
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
Maybe the zipper is catching on the wind blocking lip thingy (that's the technical term) then?
Flap?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #18
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Flap?
What am I, a pigeon? Oh that flap. Yeah that's the one.

Old March 19th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #19
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Got the suit on with everything, finally. Adjusted the fit of the protectors to be tighter (probably a good idea anyway), and then a bit of the 'tuck' position combined with bringing out a tiny pair of pliers (my fingers were getting tired and a bit beaten up, so the pliers let me get my whole hand on the zipper) it went right on no problem. So happy

Old March 20th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #20
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Name: Binh

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 250 (sold), 2013 CB500F

For curiosity sake...do people wear track suits for street riding?
fr1dayn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2014, 06:58 AM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr1dayn1ght View Post
Yes we do, nearly any given Sunday on some old KY backroad, there is a rider in full race gear.

Old March 20th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #22
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
You'll always see a decent number of track suits on Mulholland as well.

Old March 20th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #23
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Name: Binh

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 250 (sold), 2013 CB500F

Quote:
You'll always see a decent number of track suits on Mulholland as well.
I LOVE watching those Mulholland crash videos on youtube...
fr1dayn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #24
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
For recreational canyon-carving rides, why not?

Helps justify the cost. It's hard to argue for a $1,000 suit that gets used only at the track if all you're doing is a handful of track days a year. Amortize it...

Old March 20th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #25
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1198s, Triumph D675, Suzuki SV1000s, `08 Ninja 250, `11 Ninja 250, Suzuki GS750

Quote:
Yes almost everyone I ride street with does on our weekend excursions.

I wear my chest and back protector as well on the street.

Old March 22nd, 2014, 04:11 AM   #26
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
hell yea, heck I'll be wearing mine on my rides today and sunday.

I got my suit off of adouglas so it's the first suit he described.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:46 AM   #27
adouglas
Cat herder

How's the fit for you?

Old March 22nd, 2014, 05:29 PM   #28
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
I put the suit back on today and went for some canyon rides before I depart for Washington. I figured out one big thing: it's super important to get the back protector as 'low' as possible -- when I put on the sleeves it likes to move up and this makes the suit impossible to zip up. Between that and just having put it on with full gear a couple of times now means it's not too bad to put on; not easy by any stretch but that's the point
So no need to do any water tricks or get a size up. Yay

Old March 22nd, 2014, 05:34 PM   #29
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

My guess is that is still hasn't broken in yet but it's starting to sound like this is maybe not the suit for you. Might just have to try a different brand that is cut different. The hot water shower trick may foul your chances of returning it.

Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:22 PM   #30
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
My guess is that is still hasn't broken in yet but it's starting to sound like this is maybe not the suit for you. Might just have to try a different brand that is cut different. The hot water shower trick may foul your chances of returning it.
?? can you explain why?

Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:54 PM   #31
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Well, basically... it should be on the "hard" side to zip up, get on & off but not labeled "impossible". The different makes and models of suits come in different cuts. Some have long legs and arms, others are larger in the torso area. Others have HUGE knee areas lol. You may require one with a different cut in the torso that also allows for your armor. Also, from my experience, I can wear a tighter suit during cooler temps, however a really tight suit on a really hot day can make for a very bad day. You will want to be able to breath deeply, fully and easily. You will also want to ensure full range of motion is possible, in case you need it. If you can do that then... cool, your on your way.

Don't get me wrong though, if this is your first suit, then give it time to break in. At first I though my new boots where too small but they are just a tighter fit boot (narrow) and needed to be broken in... a lot, now they are perfect. That is partly on me adjusting and partly on the boot.

If you would like, I have some pics of me in a suit that is too small while trying to ride track. Later in the day, I rented a suit that fit much better. The difference in my riding is evident in the pics. I will let them speak for themselves.

Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:47 PM   #32
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Well, basically... it should be on the "hard" side to zip up, get on & off but not labeled "impossible". The different makes and models of suits come in different cuts. Some have long legs and arms, others are larger in the torso area. Others have HUGE knee areas lol. You may require one with a different cut in the torso that also allows for your armor. Also, from my experience, I can wear a tighter suit during cooler temps, however a really tight suit on a really hot day can make for a very bad day. You will want to be able to breath deeply, fully and easily. You will also want to ensure full range of motion is possible, in case you need it. If you can do that then... cool, your on your way.

Don't get me wrong though, if this is your first suit, then give it time to break in. At first I though my new boots where too small but they are just a tighter fit boot (narrow) and needed to be broken in... a lot, now they are perfect. That is partly on me adjusting and partly on the boot.

If you would like, I have some pics of me in a suit that is too small while trying to ride track. Later in the day, I rented a suit that fit much better. The difference in my riding is evident in the pics. I will let them speak for themselves.
Ah, it's only impossible if I don't set the back armor right -- and the back armor is pretty big given my frame. I wore the full suit with armor for several hours of riding today and was able to put it on and off a few times without any trouble once I found the trick of it

Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:49 AM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer