ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old September 5th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
SMIDSYed on the freeway

Well, yesterday was a fun day. Commuting in to the office in the left lane when a car in the middle decided to turn on its blinker and immediately cut into my front tire.
Made the mistake of panicking which led to trying to both brake and swerve at the same time (doesn't work) and low sided the bike. He never actually hit me (came within inches though) so it's an interesting question of who's at fault. I also made the newbie mistake to not call in the police or get witnesses information. Doh.
Thankfully, for a highway crash I walked away light -- nasty bruise and a few achy body parts but solid. Helmet's a goner, but I think the rest of my gear is usable (I actually had to look around for the damage, I think it helped that I rolled off the bike instead of slid). Unfortunately the estimate from the shop is that repairs are going to be 4k; which probably means she's totaled.

Lesson learned: practice swerving into the shoulder so I don't panic brake next time. If I'd done that I would've been fine, I suspect.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Happy you are ok man. You can always replace a bike.

If you didn't swerve and emergency braked instead would you still have dropped it?

Last futzed with by Panda; September 5th, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yikes! Cool your ok but the driver (anyone else) stop? Good lesson you learned there and thanks for sharing it.

Post a few pics of the bike if you don't mind. Maybe buy it back and fix yourself?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
yeah, bunch of people stopped -- a guy in a larger truck (as in F150, not semi) even blocked off the highway police-stop style while I was getting myself back up and checking myself for injuries. The driver who cut me off also stopped and we exchanged phone numbers. He's saying he checked his blind spot and never saw me (I had been in that lane for a good few mile or more).

Pics:

I don't have the detailed break down from the shop yet but it's new fairings, new exhaust, and a new front wheel/axle as the biggies.

Old September 5th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #5
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

thats just a cover. The can is barely scratched. ditch it and pick up a $150 Dan Moto. Problem solved.

any cracks? No? fairings should be easy to fix. Proton flushmounts or Tris flushmounts would be cheaper than new OEM ones. If you did all that work you would be at around $300 for parts. Let them do your axle and such and then do the rest yourself.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #6
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

did you damage the rear sets at all?

if you didn't i would venture the repair cost as less than 4k.
every fairing on my bike was scratched along with the tank.
my left rear set was broken and bent a handlebar, the guy said my axle was damaged but it was my swingarm slider, lol.
my upper fairing stay was bent a swell.
they quoted me $4500

looks like you only got one side should be 2k tops, unless the they say the frame is bent.
just remember to at least double the prices on bike bandit, the insurance co. includes labor as well.

if they total it but you know it rides well, offer to buy it back.

Old September 5th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
.........Lesson learned: practice swerving into the shoulder so I don't panic brake next time......
You had a lot of luck !!

Blind spots are very dangerous: try not to remain within any of those longer than one micro-second.

Around what speed did the accident happen?

The bike looks ready to be ridden for many more miles.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Yeah, I wasn't intending to be in the blind spot; one of the things that made me panic is that my lane was going a good bit faster than his and I was intending to just 'glide by' when he came over. I was heading about 50-60 when it started, I have a flash frame memory of being down to ~20 when I felt the bike come out from under me.

Estimate from the shop is $4k in repairs, plus another $700 for my helmet since I was an idiot and didn't get a police report (was in "I'm ok, I'm ok" mode talking to everyone and turned down the ambulance, police, etc.) -- I'm having them e-mail me a detailed breakdown of those costs so I can look it over. The mechanic says he expects insurance to total the bike and then it's my call to get full payment and let the bike go or get the title salvaged and repair the bike.

Old September 5th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #9
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

Your bike is fine. Keep riding. That isn't 4k in damages. Chicks will dig the fairing rash. Make up a cooler story about how you crashed and tell it to them.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #10
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

is your bike paid off?

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #11
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
haha, if a guy tried to hit on me with a crash story I'd personally think he was an idiot; but that may just be me. :P I'll evaluate the estimate/damages when I get them, but I def. want to either replace or sand/paint the fairings -- I like my bike being pretty ^.^
Yeah, the bike was bought in cash. I nearly refused to get a mortgage for my house, never mind a car or bike loan.

Old September 6th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #12
koenigcitizen
Russian Ninja :)

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

You were lucky, it sounds like it could have been much worse. How fast were you going when you went down?

Old September 6th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
.........I was heading about 50-60 when it started, I have a flash frame memory of being down to ~20 when I felt the bike come out from under me.
You did reduce a lot of speed in a short time !!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Motofool: Yeah, I did AMAZING on quick brakes on my MSF test too -- in fact, I bet if I'd just let off the brakes I'd have been fine, the problem is I'd made the call to stop the bike and in a split second you can't change that decision.

koenigcitizen: I prefer to have skill over luck; and my skill was enough to let me walk away but not enough to keep the bike up. Just means have to get more skills before I start riding on the highway again and keep practicing my evasives. For speed see my previous post (also quoted by Moto right below you).

Shop is sending me a detailed repair breakdown today; I'll post it for the community to sanity check.

Old September 6th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #15
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R, 2008 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Estimate from the shop is $4k in repairs, plus another $700 for my helmet since I was an idiot and didn't get a police report (was in "I'm ok, I'm ok" mode talking to everyone and turned down the ambulance, police, etc.) -- I'm having them e-mail me a detailed breakdown of those costs so I can look it over. The mechanic says he expects insurance to total the bike and then it's my call to get full payment and let the bike go or get the title salvaged and repair the bike.
Wait. $4k in repair costs? for some fairing rash and a slightly scratched exhaust can? I don't know about you but that doesn't seem right in the slightest.... Just from the picture, it looks like the bike is fine with maybe $300 in repairs if you wanted to fix everything.
Fappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #16
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Momaru sent me the fairing costs -- to quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru
My Cowlings are ~$242, yours are $406, likely because of the silly stickers, etc.
Kawasaki - COWLING-ASSY,SIDE,RH,M.S.BLACK
Item: 55054-5314-15Z $406.74
Kawasaki - PAD,SIDE COWLING,RH,LWR
Item: 39156-0615 $39.94
Kawasaki - PAD,SIDE COWLING,RH
Item: 39156-0662 $28.85
Kawasaki - FENDER-FRONT,M.S.BLACK
Item: 35004-0079-15Z $101.11
Kawasaki - COWLING,UPP,M.S.BLACK
Item: 55028-0153-15Z $307.72
Kawasaki - LEVER-BRAKE,PEDAL
Item: 43001-0100 $65.60
Kawasaki - WEIGHT,HANDLE
Item: 13042-0032 $14.44
Total $964.40
pulled from KawasakiPartsNation.com
If/when you go looking @ the schematic sheets, you want the EX250-JCFA (not just the JCF model, the –A designates the special Edition)
Shop is reporting I'll also need a new front axis/wheel as it was bent (I don't recall their price for this) and a new exhaust system ($500 range, IIRC). Shop's treated me super well and has a great reputation with my coworkers, so I don't think they're trying to take advantage but I may be wrong (my biking coworkers are all men, which sometimes matters unfortunately).

Old September 6th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #17
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

The shop will total anything that sounds or looks off. I had an adjuster come look at my bike and it happened that my rear tire was thrown a bit out of alignment (I was rear ended at a stop light at under 5 mph) and had some scuffs on it and the guy who checked out my bike basically marked my bike down for 2000+ dollars of damages because he thought it might be a bent swingarm, rear frame, etc. All I need to do was readjust it and replace a handle bar and I was good to go.

Insurance will repay you for your helmet, especially if the other driver is at fault. Just bring it up whenever you talk to their adjuster or they won't.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #18
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

the shop i brought my bike to when i crashed has a very good reputation as well but they definitely took advantage of me. just be careful and read ALL of what they give you before you sign anything
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i dont see anything wrong with this bike.

Old September 7th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #20
Compooky
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r, 2013 gsxr 600

$500 for a new exhaust? I'm just going to assume it's a full aftermarket system with jetting included.
Compooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #21
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Nope, stock:
http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/ho...I16I1691E11403

It's 400 just for the core, nevermind all the component parts -- I will say that if I replace it I'm going to get an aftermarket one instead because, hey, why not? Momaru recommends his AreaP so I'm looking at that one.

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #22
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Nope, stock:

It's 400 just for the core, nevermind all the component parts -- I will say that if I replace it I'm going to get an aftermarket one instead because, hey, why not? Momaru recommends his AreaP so I'm looking at that one.
Ack. You can find gently used stock mufflers on ebay for like $70!
But yeah -- might as well go aftermarket in that case!

I would say you should buy all the parts yourself separately (fairings, exhaust), and install what you can. If you still need help then bring them to the shop and have them do whatever is left, but again bring the parts yourself. You would save a ton of money.

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #23
conrya5
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Metalic Island Blue Ninja 250r

Just throw a turn signal on there and ride!

Glad that you're ok though this is why I hate riding next to cars on the highway and try to avoid it.
conrya5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #24
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
I'm a vain one so I'm getting the panels repaired; but ironically I already had ordered the flush mount turn signals... so I guess it's time to put them on

BTW: Just curious, do I need to replace my leathers after an incident? There's some minor scuffing here and there but they appear alright. I know my helmet needs to be replaced but I never heard anything on the subject of the rest of my gear.

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #25
conrya5
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Metalic Island Blue Ninja 250r

Ohhhhhhh you're one of those people ... jk haha. Well hopefully it gets fixed fast so you can ride again soon.

I'm not sure about your leathers though, my jacket is mesh and has a small tear in it from an accident but I still ride with it.

Last futzed with by conrya5; September 7th, 2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: jacket with a T not D
conrya5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #26
jhunter
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
BTW: Just curious, do I need to replace my leathers after an incident? There's some minor scuffing here and there but they appear alright. I know my helmet needs to be replaced but I never heard anything on the subject of the rest of my gear.
MSF course instructor said that leather gear can take a few spills before needing to be replaced. He cited his textile jacket was only good for one.

Old September 7th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #27
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Okay, here's the repair estimate for the bike:

Part: (PRICE) | (LABOR) || (MY OWN BEST PRICE)
Brake Pedal: $86.31 | $20 || $65.60
Side Cowl R. MS $508.42 | $160 || $406.74
Upper Cowl MS $384.65 | inc. || $307.72
R Mirror $69.58 | $20 || (Already have my own w/turn signals built in)/$52.58
R HBar $95.04 | $80 || $72.23
Handle Weight $19 | INC || $14.44
Front Fender $129.63 | $20 || 101.11
F Signals $81.10 | $20 || (Already have my own flush mounts)
Front Wheel $624.4 | $80 || $499.52
nut f. axle $6.62 | INC || $5.36
f axle $52.55 | INC || $39.94
muffler $495.17 | $40 || $396.14
muff trim $92.25 | $20 || $70.11
tail cover MS $84.78 | $80 ||$64.43
decals $231.42 | INC || $191.09
Pazzo Front Brake $110 | INC || $130

TOTAL: 3090.92 parts, 560 labor, 285.91 tax = 3936.83

Looks like his parts costs are all retail, mine are [mostly] from 'KawasakiPartsNation'. Not a rip off, but not a bargain. I'm tempted, at this point, to order the parts myself and have them shipped to the shop for the hard things and my place for the easy and have them do the labor as required.

The open questions:
Definitely seems worth it to upgrade the muffler/exhaust at this point; can anyone tell me if the AreaP "Full system" replaces just the muffler or the muffler + trim?
I'm tempted to just drop the decals and have them removed from the other side. This was my original plan on purchase, but I'll admit they grew on me after riding the bike (plus the yellow is nice for some visibility at night)
I'm also considering going ahead and ordering the mirror, Momaru reports the turn-signal-integrated mirrors sometimes have a short halflife so having a spare ready would be nice.
Lastly, seems like a good time to get my front sprocket replaced with a 15 tooth -- I do a lot of highway and this seems like something I should get done sooner rather than later.
What parts here are going to be a trivial install for me? I suspect the fairings are, but I've been surprised before :P In other words, what should I do/have the shop do?

Old September 7th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #28
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Tyra makes inexpensive OEM fairings. A lot of the parts here I feel you can buy off members here for less that are parting put bikes.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #29
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Nope, stock:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappy View Post
Ack. You can find gently used stock mufflers on ebay for like $70!
But yeah -- might as well go aftermarket in that case!

I would say you should buy all the parts yourself separately (fairings, exhaust), and install what you can. If you still need help then bring them to the shop and have them do whatever is left, but again bring the parts yourself. You would save a ton of money.
You can have my stock exhaust for $50
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #30
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Thanks for the offer Jiggles, I'll consider it. The upshot is that, based on my understanding, insurance pays out based on this estimate so if I can get it done cheaper it's money in my pocket.

Old September 13th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #31
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Other driver's insurance company (USAA) is taking on liability but are claiming the bike is an 'obvious total loss'
They're going to (if I proceed) give me $2700 but they won't do that until I hand over the title to make it salvage. The title is at my home in Nevada, I am currently stuck in California without transportation.
A bit peeved.
1. This does not strike me as anything close to 'total loss'
2. I'm being put in a rock and a hard place by the title issues
-> Even better, from what I've read I can't put the bike on the road until it gets inspected... in Nevada...
3. $2700 is, from what I gather, their assessment of the bike's total worth. That's ridiculously low for a 3 month old bike.

Old September 13th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #32
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
You can have my stock exhaust for $50
If Yakaru doesn't want it, Jiggles, I might be willing to take that off your hands. Mine still is a meth addict with punched-out teeth holes...

Quote:
Other driver's insurance company (USAA) is taking on liability but are claiming the bike is an 'obvious total loss'
They're going to (if I proceed) give me $2700 but they won't do that until I hand over the title to make it salvage. The title is at my home in Nevada, I am currently stuck in California without transportation.
A bit peeved.
1. This does not strike me as anything close to 'total loss'
2. I'm being put in a rock and a hard place by the title issues
-> Even better, from what I've read I can't put the bike on the road until it gets inspected... in Nevada...
3. $2700 is, from what I gather, their assessment of the bike's total worth. That's ridiculously low for a 3 month old bike.
$2700... what year is it again? That might not be far off. Still, I really don't think it's totalled in the LEAST. Hand over the title, get the money, and then buy the the bike back from them as salvage I say. Fix it up, and then you can sell it privately for the same amount xD.

After all that ^ you'll have enough to buy a new 2013 Ninja 300

Old September 13th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #33
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
You're getting screwed, don't stand for it
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #34
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappy View Post
If Yakaru doesn't want it, Jiggles, I might be willing to take that off your hands. Mine still is a meth addict with punched-out teeth holes...

$2700... what year is it again? That might not be far off. Still, I really don't think it's totalled in the LEAST. Hand over the title, get the money, and then buy the the bike back from them as salvage I say. Fix it up, and then you can sell it privately for the same amount xD.

After all that ^ you'll have enough to buy a new 2013 Ninja 300
It's a 2012, I bought it brand new last June. I've already told them I'm keeping the bike, esp. as I already told the shop to do the repairs and bought the parts.
I also bought myself the AreaP exhaust, so it's all yours if Jiggles is up to selling.

Old September 13th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #35
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
You're getting screwed, don't stand for it
I told them I thought that the totaled designation was ridiculous, as the vast majority of the parts were cosmetic (the fairings, etc.). Her response was that it's based on KBB value to repair, and said the repair value had to be based on the shop's (meaning my cheaper parts couldn't lower it) and that I had no appeal/recourse because of the Nevada laws. I'm up for any advice on recourse, but I'm really not in the mood to sue as I think that would take more time than it's probably worth (the salvage title part pisses me off, but I intend to ride my 250 until the wheels fall off).

Old September 13th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #36
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
When the repairs are finished give them the receipts tell them that's what you want, also go to some cycle trading websites and print out costs for 2012 bikes, doesn't matter if it's new or not. They want to take the bike because they can easily sell it for $2000
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #37
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Your bike is worth minimum $4000 kbb doesn't mean ****, they either need to give you 4k or what repairs cost. Do not settle for a salvaged title
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #38
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Better yet, file a claim with your own company and let them deal with the assholes.
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #39
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
It's a 2012, I bought it brand new last June. I've already told them I'm keeping the bike, esp. as I already told the shop to do the repairs and bought the parts.
I also bought myself the AreaP exhaust, so it's all yours if Jiggles is up to selling.
Oh, it's a new 2012!? Yeah what the hell... Worth almost twice what they're offering you. What B.S. Still though if there's a way to get the salvage title back from them after taking the money... and then proceeding to fix it yourself, and re-sell: You have a chance at coming out of this on top.

But wow. Some fairing scratches and it's totalled? Got to be kidding me.

Old September 13th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #40
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
So I called USAA back and got another biker on the line. She said since the accident was in Cali that Nevada rules don't apply the same and has disbursed my initial payment, but that when I return to Nevada I will have to exchange the title.
I did some research on Nevada's salvage law (60% repair cost of value before accident = mandatory salvage) and, with the lower prices I got and such, believe I can get the ACTUAL repair cost below that figure [without doing anything fishy like using refurb parts]; my own insurance agent is doing research to see if we can keep my clean title given that.