ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old August 30th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #1
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Name: Robenson

Motorcycle(s): 05 F4i....

Just test-rode an FZ6

I'm in the process of getting another bike, so I've been talking to a lot of owners and been going to the local dealers trying to have a feel of some of the bikes I'm interested in. While on craigslist the other day I came across an 07 fz6. I contacted the owner and scheduled to c it today. The bike was just 14 miles away from me, so it wasn't too bad to go check it out.

It's the red version. it has about 13k on. tires look like they have about 90% tread left in them. The bike is in showroom condition besides a little scratch on the paint from where the saddle bags have been attached. It's bone stock, which I like because I get to give it my own style. we agree on $3800 for it. He'll throw an all weather cover, battery charger, and the saddle bags with it.

First impresion: Holy sh%&, it's big ( not weight wise, but from just looking at it. The pics on the internet don't even come close to how big it actually looks especially compared to my pregen. It's very very upright, and the handlebar feel a bit weird (a bit wide) to me. The horn is super loud. It sound like a semi truck. The stock exhausts are not that quiet like I expected.

The ride: I took it around his neighborhood. I only got it up to second gear since they were people outside. The throttle is very responsive. I twisted it just a bit and I was already doing 29 mph. Even though it was very easy to control the bike, I would have to adjust both the clutch and front brake levers because of my lil tiny hands. The friction zone on this bike is almost none existent as fast I can tell. I couldn't find that sweet part that I have on my ninja. The spot where you know you can rev the **** out of the bike that you won't be going anywhere as long you have the clutch in your hand. You can release it bit bit to control the bike at very slow speed. This bike's clutch seemed to b seeming that middle sweet spot.. But then again I was only on it for a few minutes, I might get used to it after awhile. The front brake is excellent.. The gearbox is clunky when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear.

verdict: I dnt normally care for naked bikes, especially the sv650 ( no offense sv guys out there), but the fz6 is the best I've seen. The front looks so sexy, so sleek. it has the resemblance of a yellow jacket's head.. I like it. it fits my type of riding, which are commuting, twisty riding, and occasional long distance ride. I feel like I can ride it all day without feeling tired.

What do you guys think of the settlement.. $3800 for it with 13k? and what do you guys think of the bike itself..what do you know about it(good, and bad)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fz6.jpg (61.2 KB, 5 views)
RJprod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2013, 04:38 AM   #2
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

do I need to say it?
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2013, 06:53 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I need to ride one of these, owners & riders say good things.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:58 PM   #4
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

This is one of the bikes I've been looking at recently. Does it feel much bigger than the ninjette when your sitting/riding?
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Get it! Seems like a fair price.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:12 PM   #6
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Name: Weezy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Yamaha FZ6

I've put 21K miles on my FZ6 in 19 months of ownership. It is the best all-around bike I could possibly imagine owning. It doesn't do any particular thing exceptionally well, but it does EVERYTHING with substantial prowess.

I can take it to the dragstrip and run an 11.7 ET, or I can throw some luggage on it and comfortably cruise for hundreds of miles. And the gas mileage, at 50-55 MPG, is better than most supersports and comparable-displacement standards.
outasight20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:22 PM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I've thought about these bikes. I really like the thought of owning something that's a great all-rounder and gets 45-55 mpg with an inline-4 engine and plenty of midrange oomph.

Looks like they go for pretty fair prices around me as well:
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4005018224.html
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:32 PM   #8
YunMing
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexander

Motorcycle(s): (Sold) 2007 Red Ninja 250r, 2003 Cbr 600 F4i

I rode a FZ1 I just remember it being really heavy and fast.
YunMing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:34 PM   #9
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
This is one of the bikes I've been looking at recently. Does it feel much bigger than the ninjette when your sitting/riding?
yea.. when I sat on it, i was way up high. Obviously 1st gear is taller on it, and the clutch sometimes feels almost non-existent. I read that it is a common problem with the 07 version, I dnt know about the 09. I thought stall it twice when I pull in the clutch. it's either you pull it in or out, there's no in between when you can coarse ( i dnt know if that's the right terminology)if u want to.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:39 PM   #10
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Get it! Seems like a fair price.
I dnt think I will be getting it. I rode an f4i today and it seemed to be the best fit for me. The handlebars dnt feel as foreign to me as the fz6's. It leans into turns quicker. I like the look of the f4i better..

Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:41 PM   #11
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outasight20 View Post
I've put 21K miles on my FZ6 in 19 months of ownership. It is the best all-around bike I could possibly imagine owning. It doesn't do any particular thing exceptionally well, but it does EVERYTHING with substantial prowess.

I can take it to the dragstrip and run an 11.7 ET, or I can throw some luggage on it and comfortably cruise for hundreds of miles. And the gas mileage, at 50-55 MPG, is better than most supersports and comparable-displacement standards.
that's true gas mileage and comfort are some of the reasons I looked into one. And the dual exhaust is just bad ass.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:42 PM   #12
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I've thought about these bikes. I really like the thought of owning something that's a great all-rounder and gets 45-55 mpg with an inline-4 engine and plenty of midrange oomph.

Looks like they go for pretty fair prices around me as well:
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4005018224.html
damn, that's a neat ass bike..