ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 29th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Dustinfools
ninjette.org member

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250

Please help!! Clutch cable replacement complication

Hey guys this is my very first post on this forum ever. I have owned a 2009 250r for about 5 months now and I LOVE it. But, while replacing my clutch cable (which was a no-brainer up until now) I encountered a problem. Where the cable attaches on top of the transmission, the piece that slides forward when you pull the clutch popped out. I put it back in but now it doesn't move forward at all! I am attaching some pictures don't worry. Sorry that I do not know the name of the parts, I am a jeep guy and new pretty new to motorcycles. What I would like to know is:
1) Can I fix it?
2) How can i fix it?
3) or is is just something I am going to have to have it taken in for?

Thank you for your time.
IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg
Dustinfools is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #2
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Yes you can fix it on your own
No you don't have to take it to the shop
Sorry I don't no the exact method of fixing it so I won't try and lead you through it but I know someone else on here will.
It sounds like the engagement teeth have fallen out of sync you just have to find that sweet spot again and you'll be good as new. You may have to pop the cover to realign the teeth but wait for more details.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Dustin!

We have some great riders here that know how to turn a wrench. Hold fast! Help will come soon.

Wonder what made it pop out like that? I have replaced 2 cables on my 250's and that never happened.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

It's a pain but I deal with that every time I disconnect the cable. It's hard to describe but you can finagle it back into position by sliding it in and out while turning it. You might have to turn it completely around in the wrong direction before it will slide back down in the right position. Even then, it's sometimes tough to get the clutch cable back in without pulling it out and getting it in the wrong position again. There is always a slight gap like shown in the second picture.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There's a picture somewhere on this site that showed how to fix that, but I came up empty after a short search just now. IIRC it has something to do with pushing it back and and turning it the other way until it catches, but don't force anything on my faulty memory alone.

Bump for the right person to see it soon.

EDIT: Thx CZ, I thought it was something like that.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Dustinfools
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the replies guys, great to be a part of another friendly form (other is on my jeep)! I've messed with it for a total of about 2 hours over a few days... I'll keep trying though. If I spun the wheel and tried to put it in would that possibly help? I know the bike is in neutral right now and I don't think I can put it in gear right now.

edit: stupid suggestion.. spinning can't do jack if it's not in gear.

Old November 29th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
take it out, with the clutch cable attached (wrapped around counter clockwise), position the lever so it points at about 4:00, slide it down all the way and rotate it clockwise. it will grab the clutch release pin and pulling it up further (hard to do with your hand) will pull on the clutch release pin, releasing the clutch.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Dustinfools
ninjette.org member

ok update. I put it up on the stand and now it's getting into gear. I also seemed to be making progress and getting it to seem to lock into place, but I still apply a decent amount of pressure and it doesn't budge... I don't want to break it but how much force should I try and put on it? still lookin for someone that has a tried and tested method that will work.

Old November 29th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #9
Dustinfools
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
take it out, with the clutch cable attached (wrapped around counter clockwise), position the lever so it points at about 4:00, slide it down all the way and rotate it clockwise. it will grab the clutch release pin and pulling it up further (hard to do with your hand) will pull on the clutch release pin, releasing the clutch.
I'll try it now bud!

Old November 29th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Dustinfools
ninjette.org member

tried that and that happened to be the method i spoke of where it felt like it locked in place. So now do I need to stretch the crud out of the clutch cable to get it locked into the lever?? because its going to take all my strength if that is the right way to be in there.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

When the swinging piece is in the wrong place it's nowhere near the cable it's supposed to attach to. When it's in the right place it will still be out of reach, as you describe, and difficult to attach. Best way I could do it was to completely disconnect the other cable from the lever and the adjustment nuts closer to the clutch. You should be able to get the end connected down there, then work on getting the rest of the cable back in those other places.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
don't force the cable, you will just break it. take it off the top hand lever, attach it at the bottom first, get the linkage set and tighten the cable to its lock point just above the linkage, if you routed the cable the same way as the previous one (up the top, by the water res, over the top, through the hole in frame near the head stock, and over to the hand controls) you should be able to turn the screw on the hand lever all the way in, put the cable in and lightly pull it over. at this point, pulling on the cable isnt that bad since its just pulling the clutch. once its attached, unscrew the adjustment screw on the hand controls to get rid of some of the slack and if you haven't tightened down the bottom clamps of the cable (where it goes into the engine) do that

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Dustinfools
ninjette.org member

So are you saying I should use something to pry it upwards once it is in the position it that it would be in normally? because that's where it is at now and still wont budge. I know it has something snapped in that sounds like the clutch release pin. The thing is even if I am putting pressure on the swinging piece its not budging.. Once i understand where it needs to be set the rest is cake.. I've replaced a few cables in my time on some dirtbikes... but this is BS.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfools View Post
So are you saying I should use something to pry it upwards once it is in the position it that it would be in normally? because that's where it is at now and still wont budge. I know it has something snapped in that sounds like the clutch release pin. The thing is even if I am putting pressure on the swinging piece its not budging.. Once i understand where it needs to be set the rest is cake.. I've replaced a few cables in my time on some dirtbikes... but this is BS.
Sounds right. When it's in the correct place mine is too tight to move by hand but the cable still moves it. That's the lever action for ya.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
take the piece out and examine it.

a pin slides into the slot, then further rotation pulls on the pin.

don't pry anything. don't force anything. don't try to rotate it at the bottom

put it on, put the metal part with the two nuts in the holder, tighten the nuts,

put it on up at the top controls

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

you see in this photo, it is in the cable holder up top, and the cable is attached to to the linkage, but you can't get the linkage to go down because its not lined up with the pin, so you need to undo the cable holder, slide the cable down so you can rotate the linkage counter clockwise to the point where it will slide down, then rotate it clockwise so it locks into the pin. then put it back on the holder, THEN attach it at the handle bars

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #17
Dustinfools
ninjette.org member

Quote:

you see in this photo, it is in the cable holder up top, and the cable is attached to to the linkage, but you can't get the linkage to go down because its not lined up with the pin, so you need to undo the cable holder, slide the cable down so you can rotate the linkage counter clockwise to the point where it will slide down, then rotate it clockwise so it locks into the pin. then put it back on the holder, THEN attach it at the handle bars
I understand that in order to attach it the cable can't be in the holder. I understand how to attach the cable on both ends. I've read the faq. What I don't understand, is why the piece that is in my fingers, even when it is in the exact position that it was when i pulled off my old cable, fails to budge AT ALL. telling me not to force anything further tells me that it is that piece in my fingers not lining up right within the housing. And my question, is how do i get it aligned right. I've shown a light inside the hole, looked around, tried \ different methods, and no matter what i do there is no movement of the piece like it did before I took the old cable off.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
when the cable is attached correctly, you can't pull the clutch lever? i'm saying don't force it into position. once it is in position, you can use the cable to rotate it as much as you want. but don't yank on crap and don't use a pry on it, you'll wind up bending something or breaking the cable

this might help you ... take the oil fillter cap off, you should be able to see the pin as the linkage grabs it

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #19
Dustinfools
ninjette.org member

no, I'm talking about the lever that sits on top of the transmission, the one that you attach the cable to. That lever will not move, I am millimeters away from being able to attach the clutch cable to the clutch lever, but there is no give in the lever on the transmission side. is that normal? it doesn't seem like it and that is the reason i created this thread, because that lever doesnt budge like it did before.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #20
Dustinfools
ninjette.org member

Quote:
when the cable is attached correctly, you can't pull the clutch lever? i'm saying don't force it into position. once it is in position, you can use the cable to rotate it as much as you want. but don't yank on crap and don't use a pry on it, you'll wind up bending something or breaking the cable

this might help you ... take the oil fillter cap off, you should be able to see the pin as the linkage grabs it
tried, can't see anything.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #21
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
did you set the adjustment screws so they wouldn't be a problem?

what i do is set the bottom all up, then slide the pin into the lever at the top, then pull the cable over the adjustment pin, then tighten the bottom and then the top

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #22
Dustinfools
ninjette.org member

Quote:
did you set the adjustment screws so they wouldn't be a problem?

what i do is set the bottom all up, then slide the pin into the lever at the top, then pull the cable over the adjustment pin
the adjustment screws are irrelevant to me right now. Lets try this:

1) If everything is set right, can i push on the lever that is on top of the transmission and move it with my fingers? or do i need to attach the clutch cable to the clutch lever in order for it to receive enough force to be moved?

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #23
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Because you are still saying that it is millimeters away, it's clear that you haven't done this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHhNsYLZVD0&t=3m0s
(linked instead of embedded to link to particular time)

Move the cable, not the attaching piece.
Note that in the video the cable is completely removed from the brace and disconnected from the lever.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #24
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
1) If everything is set right, can i push on the lever that is on top of the transmission and move it with my fingers?
maybe if you have seriously strong fingers. i can't.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #25
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
why don't you take a video of what you are trying to do.. or maybe take more photos

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #26
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
the adjustment screws are irrelevant to me right now. Lets try this:

1) If everything is set right, can i push on the lever that is on top of the transmission and move it with my fingers? or do i need to attach the clutch cable to the clutch lever in order for it to receive enough force to be moved?
As I said earlier ("lever action!"): No. You will not be able to move it with your hands (at least I couldn't).

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #27
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you cannot attach the cable to the transmission transfer lever while the cable is in the cable holder. it needs to come out of the cable holder, and attached to the transmission transfer lever with the transfer lever pointed AWAY FROM THE BIKE. then rotate the lever clockwise. THEN put it in the cable holder

also, why are the adjustment screws irrelevant? there is a major communication failure in this thread.

Old November 29th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #28
Dustinfools
ninjette.org member

Quote:
there is a major communication failure in this thread.
ok the bottom is good, everything is lined up. The adjustment bolts are threaded with the open thread facing the transmission and are as far as they will go.Now, how can i slide the end piece on the clutch cable into the slot on my clutch lever.

Old November 29th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #29
Dustinfools
ninjette.org member

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSHHHHHH! I got it after rereading your post. I am sorry but this has just frustrated me and took my mind to a clouded place... everything is hooked up, and working. now i just need to do minor tweaks and ill be riding to class in an hour . sorry for the fail of communication on my side.

Old November 29th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #30
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
YEEEEEEEEESSSSSHHHHHH! I got it after rereading your post. I am sorry but this has just frustrated me and took my mind to a clouded place... everything is hooked up, and working. now i just need to do minor tweaks and ill be riding to class in an hour . sorry for the fail of communication on my side.
It was hard to communicate in writing on both ends. Glad you finally got it. Ride safe!

Old November 29th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #31
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #32
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan