ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 22nd, 2015, 08:00 PM   #1
Insane Pie
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

Repair and sell, sell as is, or trade in?

I'm wanting to upgrade to a 636 and sell my 250. I love the 250 and I'm not bored of it, but I feel that a bigger bike will be better for the long run, especially since I'm doing more highway riding.

My 250 has 21k miles, has been low sided twice and I've rear ended someone. I wanted to keep the 250 and turn it into a streetfighter, but money is sorta an issue and having a bit more money would help with getting a new bike. I want about 2k for the 250, if I can even get that since it's been crashed.

So here are the issues with the bike:

-The fairings don't line up at all. I've replaced the metal fairing stay twice since the original was bent, the replacement was also bent and it's even possible that the third that's currently on the bike is bent as well, but it's fit the best out of the three. It has a Chinese front fairing and the left fairing is also Chinese. It's droops a lot and seems not to fit well when the front fairing is off. So I'm not sure if the issue is with the left side fairing itself...or with the bike. The right one also doesn't line up, but may be because of the front nose fairing being Chinese.

-The left handlebar is slightly bent.
-Radiator is bent a little and needs to be replaced and possibly the fan.
-The back fairings are also damaged.
-Dent in the exhaust.

I haven't noticed any frame damage when I've went over the bike and it seems to handle like it's suppose to. The engine runs good as well.

So what would be the best option?

-Replace the parts and sell?
-Sell as is?
-Repair and trade in?
-Trade in as is?

Or the last option is that I know someone who works with fiberglass and he can build fairings from scratch so it may be possible to redesign the bike completely.

Thoughts? Hopefully that all makes sense
Insane Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2015, 08:04 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Pie View Post
I'm wanting to upgrade to a 636 and sell my 250. I love the 250 and I'm not bored of it, but I feel that a bigger bike will be better for the long run, especially since I'm doing more highway riding.
im trying to understand your logic behind this. could you explain why a 636 would be a better highway or touring or commuting bike? i have ridden a 636 and i would MUCH rather be on a 250 on the highway

Old March 22nd, 2015, 08:21 PM   #3
Insane Pie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
im trying to understand your logic behind this. could you explain why a 636 would be a better highway or touring or commuting bike? i have ridden a 636 and i would MUCH rather be on a 250 on the highway
It's what appeals to me the most so far. Doesn't have to be 636. But I go through a mountain pass a lot and the incline really kills my speed and having some extra power would be nice. It make more sense to buy a 600 than another 250, or put in a ton of money in the 250 and keep it long term. I've already spent a fair bit of money on it.

Old March 22nd, 2015, 08:38 PM   #4
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I never use my zx 6r's full power too overtake. I'm sure 24 hp is enough.

Wind is also an issue with a 6r. I've had a gust of wind shift me across an entire lane.

But if you're set on it, for max cash, part out. For the quickest route, sell as is/repair and sell.

I'm not sure a dealer would take your bike, and I'd they did, they wouldn't give you much.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 08:50 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i've never had any trouble going up any hills at full romping speed on the 250... maybe you need a tune up.

Old March 22nd, 2015, 09:13 PM   #6
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Yeah, my 250 is fine on the highway, even while naked. It pisses off the engine a little, but different sprockets and tucking in fixes that.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2015, 10:43 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
in my opinion the only legitimate reason for wanting to ride a supersport on the road is simply "because i feel like it" any other reason is bullshit. a supersport is not a good street bike, plain and simple. it doesn't get good mileage, it isn't comfortable, it's got way more power than you would ever actually want to use as a sane person on the street. in the wet, it's probably twice as hard to manage as a more reasonable street bike. when you start getting the bike out of shape if you don't know what you're doing it becomes easier and easier to accidentally get in way too deep. maintenance is twice as expensive as a normal street bike, damage actually breaks **** instead of just scratching stuff up.

people forget what these types of bikes are actually for. they are for a track. they are for going balls out at 140mph right before you flog the brakes in 100 feet and trail it down to 65 into a full tilt corner before wheelying out of it.

designing a bike to do this means it is DEFINITELY NOT DESIGNED TO BE A GOOD BIKE ON A STREET. don't delude yourself. don't lie to yourself. be honest about what you want and the bike will treat you MUCH better.

if you want to go 145 down the highway and get arrested for it, by all means. go for the 636 for your highway cruiser or whatever. but don't be surprised when it actually turns out to be a ****** street bike.

if you want a good street bike but more power, why not look at something reasonable, like an sv650. or something that isn't a race replica. race replicas are uncomfortable as ****

don't get me wrong. i've driven the **** out of a 636. i've topped out my yamaha like an idiot on the freeway through traffic. i've even tried fancy ducatis and triumphs. they're all **** terrible street bikes. BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT DESIGNED FOR STREET USE.

actually the ducatis were ****ing sweet. go buy a ducati.

Old March 22nd, 2015, 11:38 PM   #8
Singh2jz
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

^ +1

sv650 ftw..

Old March 22nd, 2015, 11:40 PM   #9
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
in my opinion the only legitimate reason for wanting to ride a supersport on the road is simply "because i feel like it" any other reason is bullshit. a supersport is not a good street bike, plain and simple. it doesn't get good mileage, it isn't comfortable, it's got way more power than you would ever actually want to use as a sane person on the street. in the wet, it's probably twice as hard to manage as a more reasonable street bike. when you start getting the bike out of shape if you don't know what you're doing it becomes easier and easier to accidentally get in way too deep. maintenance is twice as expensive as a normal street bike, damage actually breaks **** instead of just scratching stuff up.

people forget what these types of bikes are actually for. they are for a track. they are for going balls out at 140mph right before you flog the brakes in 100 feet and trail it down to 65 into a full tilt corner before wheelying out of it.

designing a bike to do this means it is DEFINITELY NOT DESIGNED TO BE A GOOD BIKE ON A STREET. don't delude yourself. don't lie to yourself. be honest about what you want and the bike will treat you MUCH better.

if you want to go 145 down the highway and get arrested for it, by all means. go for the 636 for your highway cruiser or whatever. but don't be surprised when it actually turns out to be a ****** street bike.

if you want a good street bike but more power, why not look at something reasonable, like an sv650. or something that isn't a race replica. race replicas are uncomfortable as ****

don't get me wrong. i've driven the **** out of a 636. i've topped out my yamaha like an idiot on the freeway through traffic. i've even tried fancy ducatis and triumphs. they're all **** terrible street bikes. BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT DESIGNED FOR STREET USE.

actually the ducatis were ****ing sweet. go buy a ducati.
As a person you who loves the **** outa my 250 a 600 in the end is far better for riding most of the time in many ways.

Old March 22nd, 2015, 11:54 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
As a person you love the **** outa my 250 a 600 in the end is far better for riding most of the time in many ways.
because it makes you feel like you have a bigger penis.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:08 AM   #11
fishdip

Quote:
Nope. Its more stable as it has a wider tire. You find big cracks and lines in the road moves the bike around less. I can find more tire options for a 600 then a 250 And more places have them. I have been in strong head winds with the 250 and even running at a high rpm its hard to stay at the speed limit. most of the high ways I ride on have a speed limit of 75. And most are doing 85 on the 250 the high rpm creates a lot of annoying vibration even with non stock gearing. heck some of TX roads are now 85mph it suck to try and do 90 every day on the 250.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:29 AM   #12
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

My 2011 did 163.87 with +4 rear sprocket at a track with short straight, that's real GPS datalogger speed, 175 on speedo,
on an open straight it went well over 180 on the clock with 43t and 45T.
That's with stock headers ans airbox in place, tuned and jetted in race trim.

Speed limits must be fast in the USA.
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:39 AM   #13
Singh2jz

This is the answer to all your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
But if you're set on it, for max cash, part out. For the quickest route, sell as is/repair and sell.
ya shoulda left out the first bit lol. That's it. Thread closed!

Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:41 AM   #14
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
My 2011 did 163.87 with +4 rear sprocket at a track with short straight, that's real GPS datalogger speed, 175 on speedo,

your 2011 what? 250?

Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:44 AM   #15
Singh2jz

Quote:
your 2011 what? 250?
KPH lol

Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:45 AM   #16
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Nope. Its more stable as it has a wider tire. You find big cracks and lines in the road moves the bike around less. I can find more tire options for a 600 then a 250 And more places have them. I have been in strong head winds with the 250 and even running at a high rpm its hard to stay at the speed limit. most of the high ways I ride on have a speed limit of 75. And most are doing 85 on the 250 the high rpm creates a lot of annoying vibration even with non stock gearing. heck some of TX roads are now 85mph it suck to try and do 90 every day on the 250.
supersport rake is typically 23.5* with a shorter trail than the 250's 25*, so the whole "more stable" is bullshit when comparing good tires to good tires. the contact patch on a cruising tire at good psi for the wider tire as well as the shorter tire actually winds up being almost the same, the difference comes when you are romping on it- the bigger tire smushes down more. so again, bullshit. the 250 does 95mph without struggling. this is more than 20mph over any speed limit in the country. so again, bullshit. and as for the vibration, most supersports run with straight clipons with no bar dampers unlike just about every single street bike, so again-- bullshit. you are right though, the 250 is lighter.

what it sounds like is that you have ridden a really really ****ed up 250 with godawful tires and ****ed up suspension.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:50 AM   #17
Aufitt
The A Team

Quote:
your 2011 what? 250?
EX250.

Datalogger does not lie, for hundreds, if not thousands of laps.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:52 AM   #18
fishdip

Quote:
supersport rake is typically 23.5* with a shorter trail than the 250's 25*, so the whole "more stable" is bullshit when comparing good tires to good tires. the contact patch on a cruising tire at good psi for the wider tire as well as the shorter tire actually winds up being almost the same, the difference comes when you are romping on it- the bigger tire smushes down more. so again, bullshit. the 250 does 95mph without struggling. this is more than 20mph over any speed limit in the country. so again, bullshit. and as for the vibration, most supersports run with straight clipons with no bar dampers unlike just about every single street bike, so again-- bullshit. you are right though, the 250 is lighter.

what it sounds like is that you have ridden a really really ****ed up 250.
its not more then 20 over in the country

85 mph

The law sets the maximum at 70 mph, but allows the Texas Transportation Commission to establish a maximum speed limit of 75 mph (80 mph or 85 mph if the highway is designed to accommodate that speed) on the highway system if that speed is determined to be safe and reasonable after a traffic or engineering study.
And no setting on a 600 you can keep it balanced more easy because of a wider tire then a 250. if I am wrong post a video of you balancing a 250 on not new but also not really used tires with out it running and no feet on the grown and I bet I can do it longer on a r6 or 636.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:53 AM   #19
fishdip

Quote:
EX250.

Datalogger does not lie, for hundreds, if not thousands of laps.
Mph?

Old March 23rd, 2015, 01:01 AM   #20
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
And no setting on a 600 you can keep it balanced more easy because of a wider tire then a 250. if I am wrong post a video of you balancing a 250 on not new but also not really used tires with out it running and no feet on the grown and I bet I can do it longer on a r6 or 636.
my record on the 250 is about 20 seconds while completely stopped. sorry, i don't take videos of such mundane bs. i do it basically at every light. and being able to balance while the bike is not moving aint got jack **** to do with tire size, or how stable the bike is when moving. so yet again, you're full of **** and talking out your ass.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 01:04 AM   #21
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
also, 95 is still faster than 75, 80, 85 and 90. in case you couldn't tell.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 01:10 AM   #22
fishdip

Quote:
my record on the 250 is about 20 seconds while completely stopped. sorry, i don't take videos of such mundane bs. i do it basically at every light. and being able to balance while the bike is not moving aint got jack **** to do with tire size, or how stable the bike is when moving. so yet again, you're full of **** and talking out your ass.
Then once more prove me wrong as no evidence to what your saying is just the same as talking out your ass.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 01:11 AM   #23
fishdip

Quote:
also, 95 is still faster than 75, 80, 85 and 90. in case you couldn't tell.
You said 95 is more then 20 over the speed limit in the country. I posted showing your talking out your ass about that.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 03:37 AM   #24
Insane Pie
ninjette.org member

So I appreciate everyone advice. How much do you think I can get total if I go with parting it out?

Old March 23rd, 2015, 04:52 AM   #25
Aufitt
The A Team

Quote:
I were you, I wouldn't Challenge alex.s to any kind of riding skills
you'd be better off learning to ride the 250 and fixing whatever makes you so slow.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:04 AM   #26
fishdip

Quote:
I were you, I wouldn't Challenge alex.s to any kind of riding skills
you'd be better off learning to ride the 250 and fixing whatever makes you so slow.
You never answered my question.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 06:30 AM   #27
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

Name: Butch

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Going back to the actual OP, with the amount of damage to the bike, you're probably better off parting it out or selling as-is.. It could be brought back to near-new condition, but it will cost about $800 or so to do it for a completely new fairing kit, radiator, exhaust, and handlebar.. Add to the costs the time it will take you to make those repairs, and that's where you have to really weight your options..

You could skimp a bit and get a complete set of fairings online somewhere like eBay or Craigslist if you're lucky.. You might find the other parts used locally as well, saving money.. Still, I find it hard to believe you'd spend less than $800 total for the parts alone.. This is also with the assumption that you haven't damaged the frame and there are no other issues.. Having rear-ended someone may have bent the forks slightly..

For an '08 with 21k miles and the repairs needed, you'll be very lucky to get $1700 for the bike as is.. I'd say $1400 would be a great deal for someone with the time and money to fix it up.. A newer bike with less than 5000 miles and no issues sells for $2500 around here (NJ).. Not sure what the market is like there in Vegas..

What's the condition of the tires?? Do you have service records?? Any mods or accessories with/on the bike?? Those will affect the pricing as well.. In the end, post it on your local Craigslist for what you'd like to get for it, and hope that someone comes around and gets close with an offer.. The worst that can happen is that you say no and part it out in the end..
FBR_BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2015, 08:59 AM   #28
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Not true! But it does give you bigger balls!

Old March 23rd, 2015, 03:06 PM   #29
Insane Pie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBR_BDavis View Post
Going back to the actual OP, with the amount of damage to the bike, you're probably better off parting it out or selling as-is.. It could be brought back to near-new condition, but it will cost about $800 or so to do it for a completely new fairing kit, radiator, exhaust, and handlebar.. Add to the costs the time it will take you to make those repairs, and that's where you have to really weight your options..

You could skimp a bit and get a complete set of fairings online somewhere like eBay or Craigslist if you're lucky.. You might find the other parts used locally as well, saving money.. Still, I find it hard to believe you'd spend less than $800 total for the parts alone.. This is also with the assumption that you haven't damaged the frame and there are no other issues.. Having rear-ended someone may have bent the forks slightly..

For an '08 with 21k miles and the repairs needed, you'll be very lucky to get $1700 for the bike as is.. I'd say $1400 would be a great deal for someone with the time and money to fix it up.. A newer bike with less than 5000 miles and no issues sells for $2500 around here (NJ).. Not sure what the market is like there in Vegas..

What's the condition of the tires?? Do you have service records?? Any mods or accessories with/on the bike?? Those will affect the pricing as well.. In the end, post it on your local Craigslist for what you'd like to get for it, and hope that someone comes around and gets close with an offer.. The worst that can happen is that you say no and part it out in the end..

The forks did get bent, but I've replace them. I wasn't planning on getting completely new fairings, probably used ones and repair and repaint them if I had to. I don't mind putting the time into it.

The bike could probably use some new tires. I gave the service records and the only mods to the bike are the slip on and brake/clutch levers.

Ninja 250's here are going for about $3,000 here.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 04:34 PM   #30
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
They are advertised at 3k. That doesn't mean they are selling for 3k

Old March 23rd, 2015, 04:35 PM   #31
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Even a mint 2012 with under 5k miles would be a real stretch to sell at 3k. 2500 much more likely for mint 250. 2k for well used. 1.5k for beat up. Under 1k for trashed

Old March 23rd, 2015, 04:37 PM   #32
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
But honestly. You said yourself money is an issue. So why are you trying to buy a more expensive bike while also losing money on the bike you own.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 04:38 PM   #33
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Be realistic with yourself.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:10 PM   #34
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

The 250 is not comfortable on the highway. I'm sorry...it's just not.

Very buzzy, vibrates a **** ton, you gotta drop 2 gears and WOT just to pass people at a decent pace. Bike is practically red lining, screaming, more vibrating, wind hits you and you get buffeted around the lane... I only weighed 140 when I rode my 250 (now I weigh 160) and I tell you the wind PUSHED you around..

Sorry, but I agree with OP 100% that the 250 on the highway sucks. It can handle it, but it is not the best bike for the highway.

Now the question, is the zx6r any better? I mean, of course it's better at the highway, but it's still not the best. Doesn't get good gas mileage and is an aggressive standing uncomfortable bike.

Your best bet would probably be more of a sport touring bike.

Edit: you probably could get $1,500 for your bike if you wait for the right buyer... the bike is trashed with a ton of miles. GLWS

Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:14 PM   #35
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
the 250 does 95mph without struggling.
95 (indicated) is pretty much the bikes top speed, and it is not that easy to get there... at least in my experience, who knows I may have been doing something wrong.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:15 PM   #36
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
95 (indicated) is pretty much the bikes top speed, and it is not that easy to get there... at least in my experience, who knows I may have been doing something wrong.
my bike does 110 indicated at redline in 6th. it has no problem getting there.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:29 PM   #37
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Your 300 must suck then, I've had my 300 up above 105mph (gps, 112 on dash) at least once every day for the past week with RPMs to spare

Quote:

Honestly the speed limits here are annoying. They're only "fast" on highways where you go straight for what feels like an eternity. For reference since you deal with KPH and we deal with MPH my gps top speed of 112mph is roughly 180kph and I know it will do more if I kept it open longer. 85mph is ~136kph

Quote:
its not more then 20 over in the country

85 mph

The law sets the maximum at 70 mph, but allows the Texas Transportation Commission to establish a maximum speed limit of 75 mph (80 mph or 85 mph if the highway is designed to accommodate that speed) on the highway system if that speed is determined to be safe and reasonable after a traffic or engineering study.
Low speed and at speed are very different to the point where your argument doesn't even make sense since you speak as though traction at speed is the same as "traction" at a stop. The ninjette is plenty stable at 70mph.

Quote:
The 250 is not comfortable on the highway. I'm sorry...it's just not.

Very buzzy, vibrates a **** ton, you gotta drop 2 gears and WOT just to pass people at a decent pace. Bike is practically red lining, screaming, more vibrating, wind hits you and you get buffeted around the lane... I only weighed 140 when I rode my 250 (now I weigh 160) and I tell you the wind PUSHED you around..

Sorry, but I agree with OP 100% that the 250 on the highway sucks. It can handle it, but it is not the best bike for the highway.

Now the question, is the zx6r any better? I mean, of course it's better at the highway, but it's still not the best. Doesn't get good gas mileage and is an aggressive standing uncomfortable bike.

Your best bet would probably be more of a sport touring bike.

Edit: you probably could get $1,500 for your bike if you wait for the right buyer... the bike is trashed with a ton of miles. GLWS
I find the 250/300 to be very comfortable on the highway. My gsx-r would be comfortable on the highway as well if it were street legal. The vibration really isn't that much. The wind only really pushes you around if you're tight on the bars. I'm pushed around less by the same wind that bullied me when I started riding and I tend to ride with one hand the bars when riding on the highway these days.

sport bikes (excluding sport touring bikes) aren't designed to be good at highway riding. If that's your aim get a cruiser or a sport touring bike, seriously that's what they're made for.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:29 PM   #38
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Have you considered shifting into 6th gear?

Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:31 PM   #39
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
my bike does 110 indicated at redline in 6th. it has no problem getting there.
Your 250? Holy ****, my 300 has trouble getting up to 110 (takes like 5 minutes straight of WOT). What mods do you have???

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:33 PM   #40
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
Have you considered shifting into 6th gear?
Lol yes, again, this was on my 250. My 300 is a completely different story... She'll pull in 6th gear up until about 95 mph, then it becomes a slow grind. I love my 300! Honestly the 300 is enough for the highway, I can pass people very easily and I don't get blown around nearly half as much as my 2 fiddy. I guess that extra 10lbs and tire make a difference somehow...