ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 10th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Bl4kkat
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 93' 250 Ninja

Bike dies @ startup and missing part?

like the title says my bike dies when i try to start her up. i read around the different threads and the found one with pictures at this thread
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39130

i was looking at the picture and the baby blue and red hoses (missing) from the gas tanks go no where. There is a hose for the baby blue one but the other end is just routed out to the side of the bike.

i looked up the cylinder thingy in BikerBandit and its listed as a "sperator [ca]" for $60 bucks. for those that are wondering i selected 93' ninja 250r (ex250)... i wasnt sure which model it was exactly and i couldnt find it on the title but did see "ex" in the vin number so i figured it was an ex250.

also on the second carb there is a yellow hose that is connected to what looks like a T hose connector which is also connected to the missising cylinder thingy and somewhere else in the bike. but in my bike none of that is there, instead it is capped off.

so heres the story i bought the bike on 7/4 and the seller road the bike up and down the road to make sure it was working. after that i test road the bike and ran fine to me. so after i buy the bike, i took it to work the next day and everything is still running good, didnt notice anything wrong. after work i tried to start it up and no go... would not start. so i put the choke all the way up and it would idle REALLY high around the 3.5k range. even with that high of an idle, i crack the throttle and it would stumble and die. when i put the choke down just a little bit it would stumble and die. i messed around with the idle adjustment screw and still cant get the bike to at all.

before everything the bike would start fine without using the choke and i noticed that the oil level was not full with the center stand, but never really noticed it before cause i always used side stand. so i filled it up to where it seemed right. when its on the center stand you cant see the oil in the sight glass but in the side stand its completly full. i called my brother and he brought 2 bottles of oil and surprisingly it took both bottles completly.

im begging to think its a vacume pump issue for the gas, but im not sure entirely and that missing part, would it matter if the bike is a CA model? is so that wouldnt make too much sense cause i live in Va Beach haha

any help plz
thanks
Marka
Bl4kkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Z-Trob
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 99 250, 06 Speed Triple, 2009 husky 510SMR

so you're saying the bike isn't a CA model? Im guessing since you're in VA it probably isn't, so don't worry about that diagram. non-CA bikes don't have all those parts. just one line out the back of the tank, which is simply a vent line that connects to nothing on the other end. your problems are carb related. but i would need more info to tell where to start. A clogged passage in a jet is usually a likely culprit, since with full choke you say it made it only to 3.5k, full choke will generally bring the bike higher.

check your tank for rust, it could have caused the problems you're having. if there is rust, get yourself an inline fuel filter between the tank and the carbs. i would recommend a filter even if you don't find rust.

and...2 bottles of oil??? as in 2 quarts? plus the oil that was already in there? either the bike was way low or it's likely you have a bit much in there now.
usually my bike takes a little less than 2 quarts on a change. with the bike on the center stand the oil level reads lower than it is. the oil glass should be checked with both wheels on the ground and the bike held level.

"when its on the center stand you cant see the oil in the sight glass but in the side stand its completly full."

either you have those backwards or you have a lot of oil in there.
Z-Trob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
step one. drain the oil, buy new oil and a new filter, and do an oil change. seems like you have a ton of oil in it currently, and seeing as you don't know its' history, an oil change is not going to hurt anything

step 2. a carb cleaning seems to be in order. these pilot jets are tiny and clog easily. Mine did the same thing when I bought it. carb cleaning made it run like new. with a small displacement carbed bike that doesnt start, a carb cleaning is always one of the first things to try
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Bl4kkat
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yeah I did add 2 quarts of oil in the bike, but that was on the centerstand... I'm going to do what you guys recomend and just drain everything out change oil filter and fill her back up level with the tires.

As for the carb I'll take it apart and check the jets and all the other openings for any derbis.

When I get to it I'll let u kno how it turns out
thanks
Mark
Bl4kkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Bl4kkat
ninjette.org newbie

alright it was aa PITA but i was able to get the carb off with the help of the Ninja250 wiki... but i wasnt able to take it apart and clean it yet. my kids require my attention so i try to work on the bike when i get a chance.

however i did take a look at the gas tank like you guys said and i found big CHUNKS of what looks like big silver paint chips just floating around the tank... some pieces are as big as a quarter! im thinking of buying one of those tank cleaning kits they sell at the bike shop... i forgot what its called but they have 2 types: a 2 bottle kit and a 3 bottle kit (which i think has a clean, degreaser, and a tank sealant) but with the situation im thinking just spending a little extra and buying the 3 bottle kit. ive never cleaned out a tank before but the kit should have some sort of instructions right?

before i do any of that there is something else about the tank that i have a question, and im pretty sure that the next problem isnt normal? i noticed that when tilted the tank to the left side gas was pouring out of one of the holes where you screw in the tank to the fairing. more specifically its the front/top left screw hole on the gas tank. i know theres that vent tube at the back of the tank right under the seat, so is this normal? when i figure out how to post pictures ill put them up. also the screw that goes in there is a little bit longer than the other 3 bolts that go to the fairing, and looks like someone tried to chaulk it with what looks like black silicone.

when i have time tomorrow tho im going to take apart the carb completly and give it a good cleaning and see what i can clean out, but after looking into the gas tank today im pretty sure that some of that paint chips somehow made its way into the carb

Old July 12th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Z-Trob
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 99 250, 06 Speed Triple, 2009 husky 510SMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl4kkat View Post
before i do any of that there is something else about the tank that i have a question, and im pretty sure that the next problem isnt normal? i noticed that when tilted the tank to the left side gas was pouring out of one of the holes where you screw in the tank to the fairing. more specifically its the front/top left screw hole on the gas tank. i know theres that vent tube at the back of the tank right under the seat, so is this normal? when i figure out how to post pictures ill put them up. also the screw that goes in there is a little bit longer than the other 3 bolts that go to the fairing, and looks like someone tried to chaulk it with what looks like black silicone.
No it isn't normal, and unfortunately common in older pre-gens. Kawi stupidly made 2 sizes of bolts to hold the top fairing to the tank, and the longer one you speak of is enough to punch a hole through when put in the wrong spot. my bike has the same wound in the upper right mount, with the screw in it doesn't leak and i haven't gotten around to finding some kind of puddy or something to fill it with.

and with your carb problem, whatever was in your tank is a good guess to what fouled your carbs. i would drain the tank, fill it with water and give it a good shaking. repeat that process a few times and see if anything is left. possibly throw a few marbles in with the water while you shake (count them to make sure you get em all out!) to really scrub off the inside. then again, install an inline fuel filter.

Old July 13th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Bl4kkat
ninjette.org newbie

Well the hole in that tank kindda sucks but I haven't checked to see if it leaks with the screw in. But what I don't understand is that there is a fuel filter in there already, but I'll just put a new one any way.

I did clean out the carb yesterday and found one of my slow jets (not the main jet) clogged up. I sprayed some carb cleaner and a small piece of wire and scrubbed all the holes out and sprayed some more cleaner through the holes to get out what ever else was left in there. The black rubber plunger thing (where the needle goes) had a thin coat of what looks like grease. So I washed it out with some mild dish soap and wiped it dry.

So when I get the chance I'll put the carb back and clean out
the tank. If not I'll probably take the petcock out and see if I can give it a good cleaning too since all that paint chips were in there.

Again thanks for the reples it sure helped alot guys