ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #1
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrea

Motorcycle(s): None yet... hoping for a ninja 650 :) (yes, that is a motorcycling my little pony :) )

Question Ninjette on the Highway?

I've been talking to one of my friends that is a bit of a ninja addict. (he knows his stuff lol) and he said the 250 would be PERFECT for me except the fact that... I'm on the highway for at least 5 hours every weekend... and once I move, I'll be on the highway DAILY for commutes. He said for zipping around in the city, the 250 is great but, that much time on the highway over time won't be good for the engine. I'm wondering... just considering THAT. Should I consider the next size up? I'll be learning on a 500 so the power difference is not a concern. I don't want to stress the bike more than it needs to be. I understand the 250 is absolutely FANTASTIC and I'm sold on a ninja, but I'm just tinkering with size now.

Thanks!
andreafaerie91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #2
diablos991
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (blue)

The RPMs are pretty high on the freeway. However; putting a 15t sprocket in the front will lower them a bit. I plan on using my ninja as a summer commuter, about 50 freeway miles round trip. I don't know of the long term affects on the engine though.
diablos991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #3
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Just change the rear sprocket to a 42 and enjoy the great mileage . Five hours on the highway is tough on your body mo that the bike . Just change the oil regularly .
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

Like the others have said, most people just change their sprockets if they mostly commute on the freeway to make riding easier on the bike.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #5
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Make a compromise
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreafaerie91 View Post
I've been talking to one of my friends that is a bit of a ninja addict. (he knows his stuff lol)
Apparently he doesn't know his stuff.

There are 2 camps - those who think like your friend, and those who know that the 250 can handle the freeway all day. It's not about the bike - it's about the rider.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

It's doable, but a 650 may be a better option if you're doing 5 hours on the motorway every weekend.

You'll have the bike pretty far up it's rev range (where it's supposed to be) but you wont have much more if you need it.

Shorter runs on the motorway are fine, but when you're on for hours at a go it takes a lot out of you (that 5 hours over the weekend is realistically more like 6) 3 hours on the bike at a constant pace can do funny things to your reactions & sense of speed
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #8
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

True. If you take care of maintenance, your engine will run happily all day on the highway. As far as wear & tear, it's just like any other engine. Yes, a 250 will 'wear out' faster than a 1000, 650, etc. but only because it has to run at higher rpms for nearly every trip it makes, when compared to larger bikes. This also holds true for the guys who ride their ZX6-Rs around at 9,000 rpms all the time so they're always in the power band.

All engines have a finite number of revolutions they'll turn before wear kills them. Build quality, balance, state of tune, and quality of lubricants, and maintenance habits are some of the many contributing factors that dicatate how long an engine will last. Odds are that you won't keep the bike long enough to experience noticable engine wear.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #9
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

My Ninja is at 8-11k rpm consistently on and off the freeway. Not a problem for the bike. Just keep up with the oil changes and the bike will be fine. The issue as explained is your body. Can you handle the vibrations? I found that if I stopped every couple hours for 5mins to stretch, I can handle 12 hour rides with ZERO issues. In fact, that same trip in a car was the worst thing ever but on the bike I did not feel tired at all.

Keep searching for other testimonials but its not about the bike. The 250 is just that reliable.

Old April 18th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
The bike will be fine on the freeway. It's not happy unless its at 9k-12k rpms. You may want to invest in a better seat though, my seat starts to bother me after a couple hours. A corbin seat will clear that problem up easily though.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #11
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

I would say that about 75% or more of the 15k miles I had on my 1994 ninjette were all highway doing about 70+. If a bike that old can handle it for that long and only need a new timing chain (it was the original chain from 1994, what do you expect?), tire and oil changes, then the new ones should be just fine.

Old April 18th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #12
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I ride on the freeways a lot and the 250 Ninja does fine, particularly after I raised the gearing from stock with a 15 front/41 rear combo. It lowered the rpms to about 6500 at 70 mph. I now have raised the gearing to 15/33 in preparation for my first fuel economy competition of the year but that is pretty radical and not well suited for most Ninja 250 owners. The 15/41 combo is an excellent compromise.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
The 15/41 combo is an excellent compromise.
15/41, as well as 15/42 can leave you topping out @ 65mph on the highway on a windy day (head wind). It's cool for me, it's the speed limit but for those in TN, TX and other states where the speed limit can be 70 or faster it may leave you somewhat "exposed" with no power left.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Just leave the gearing stock, it will be fine.
AFM #676

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #15
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Even at the stock gearing it is more than doable and the engine will run happily.

I found my old Ninja's seat to suck for longer distances so I put on a Corbin. A Crampbuster or other throttle holder because your hand may go numb.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I want to go with a 13/47 on mine, now that will make the freeway hard. Redline at 86mph
AFM #676

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #17
amsegura
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250, 2003 WR350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Apparently he doesn't know his stuff.

There are 2 camps - those who think like your friend, and those who know that the 250 can handle the freeway all day. It's not about the bike - it's about the rider.
Nicely Said.
amsegura is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #18
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
"Bad for the engine?" Pish.

Sounds like you're worried about longevity more than the 250's suitability for freeway travel. That means cost and reliability, right?

My bike cost $3000 used with 1200 miles on it. I could run it into the ground, buy another one, run THAT one into the ground and STILL come up costing less than a 650.

Look, very, very few people keep bikes long enough for the engine to actually wear out. There are Ninjettes out there with tens of thousands of miles on them, having run around at 9k+ rpm all the time. I'm approaching 11k miles myself.

After a little while the 9-10K scream starts to sound like music.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I want to go with a 13/47 on mine, now that will make the freeway hard. Redline at 86mph
Start at 14/47. Good middle ground.

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #20
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Most of the 40,000 miles I've ridden in the last 37 months has been on the highway, including several interstate trips over 800 miles per day with sustained speeds over 80mph. The only modifications I've done were to go up one in the front and down two in the rear sprockets (mainly to reduce high-RPM oil consumption), Corbin saddle (for trips over 300 miles), and foam grips for vibration.

The truth of the matter is the 250 Ninja will out-accelerate most production cars sold in this country and will go fast enough to get you arrested and jailed in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #21
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

Sounds like you're worried about longevity more than the 250's suitability for freeway travel. That means cost and reliability, right?

My bike cost $3000 used with 1200 miles on it. I could run it into the ground, buy another one, run THAT one into the ground and STILL come up costing less than a 650.

Look, very, very few people keep bikes long enough for the engine to actually wear out. There are Ninjettes out there with tens of thousands of miles on them, having run around at 9k+ rpm all the time. I'm approaching 11k miles myself.

This is why break-in threads annoy me. These people even know that they're planning on selling the bike in 1 year or less.

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #22
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): None yet... hoping for a ninja 650 :) (yes, that is a motorcycling my little pony :) )

Thanks for all the replies! I see I have a variety of options now. The 5 hour trip includes traffic and whatnot, it's usually an hour and a half to go home (63 miles), but then I say for the weekend and then come back (technically, 3 hours, but said 5 to keep it safe). My commute when I get to FL will be about an hour so I think that will be do-able.

I know it'll all be up to what my body can handle, I'm not going to ride longer than I can tolerate comfortably.

And hey now everyone... don't bash friends He was trying to be helpful and told me that I may want to consider a 650 since I do a lot of interstate travel and also because I keep my vehicles until they well... die. lol I'm pretty good with maintenance (I do all my truck work myself). He didn't discredit the ninjette at all, just said that it could wear down the engine since speed limits are 70. He also said it's up to me since it will be MY bike. I just want to get some other options

I want to make sure I'm not going to look like the asshole on a moped on the interstate and I want the bike to run comfortably, I don't want to push it harder than necessary. I know a lot of you race or ride fast... I'm not into all that, I just want something fun to ride that's reliable and functional. From what I've seen here the 250 meets that for sure! Also, I'm considering from stock no mods yet.

Edit// I'd also like to self-identify as a newbie... I don't know all that much about bikes yet, I'm still learning as much as I can before I take my MSF test in October. Also, buying a used bike no matter what

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #23
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

I have a 1988 250 ninja with over 130000 miles it is on its third engine. But at 500 to 1000 for each engine it is still the cheapest ride in town when you factor in gas mileage and insurance
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #24
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

You're pushing your bikes quite a bit thought right?

Aren't there a bunch of people on ninja250.org that have gotten close or over 100k on the original engine?

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #25
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

The 250 tops out at 60 and if you keep it there for more than 5 seconds the engine will explode. A ninja 500 however is a wonderful jack of all trades bike, with much more power than a silly 250 and worlds better suspension, better gas mileage, better aerodynamics, over twice the top speed, three times better engine power, more headlight rays, better wheelies and better everything else. so don't waste your money on a silly little kids bike, my 2 year old niece could master a 250 in a few hours.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #26
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
You forgot that it looks like a pile of dog turds
AFM #676

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #27
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
The 250 tops out at 60 and if you keep it there for more than 5 seconds the engine will explode. A ninja 500 however is a wonderful jack of all trades bike, with much more power than a silly 250 and worlds better suspension, better gas mileage, better aerodynamics, over twice the top speed, three times better engine power, more headlight rays, better wheelies and better everything else. so don't waste your money on a silly little kids bike, my 2 year old niece could master a 250 in a few hours.
That's all cool and super but... I'm not looking for something to show off on or do tricks... personally I think that's just dumb (no offense Jiggles!) and you have the bike for the wrong reason if all you want is to show off. I'd also like to point out that I'm a bit nervous about learning to ride as it is and being compared to a 2 year old is not something that's going to make me feel more confident. Not trying to be a bitch, I'm looking for constructive comments and factual information, thanks.

Also, putting a 2 year old on a bike would be incredibly irresponsible and retarded dahling.

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #28
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Everyone chill....he was obviously kidding.

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #29
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreafaerie91 View Post
That's all cool and super but... I'm not looking for something to show off on or do tricks... personally I think that's just dumb (no offense Jiggles!) and you have the bike for the wrong reason if all you want is to show off. I'd also like to point out that I'm a bit nervous about learning to ride as it is and being compared to a 2 year old is not something that's going to make me feel more confident. Not trying to be a bitch, I'm looking for constructive comments and factual information, thanks.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #30
KawiKid860

Quote:
Lol I'm just kidding, the 250 is a wonderful bike and will handle the freeway just fine, granted without a ton of power to spare. On the other hand, the 500 is near as well to learn on, but with roughly twice the power. I had my heart set on a 250, but I wasn't buying the bike so I ended up with a 500, and personally I'm glad I did. I'd say go for a 250 if you're a bit nervous about it. You really can't go wrong with a 250, and you seem like a sensible person who won't be power hungry or trying to be the fastest person on the road. But take the forums word for it over mine since I've never actually ridden a 250

also I'd just like to add I'm really sorry if i hurt your confidence! My bad.. making a potential new rider not want to ride is the last thing I want to do! Once you get settled with a bike and start learning your nervousness will fade away before you even know it!

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #31
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

250 with a 500 motor swap? Best of both worlds.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #32
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

I would've bought a 500 in a second if Kawasaki had ever bothered to update the body. It's a shame they didn't give it the full hair & makeup treatment the 250 got, and added F.I.

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #33
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I would've bought a 500 in a second if Kawasaki had ever bothered to update the body. It's a shame they didn't give it the full hair & makeup treatment the 250 got, and added F.I.
They did, it's called a ninja 650
AFM #676

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #34
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Lol I'm just kidding, the 250 is a wonderful bike and will handle the freeway just fine, granted without a ton of power to spare. On the other hand, the 500 is near as well to learn on, but with roughly twice the power. I had my heart set on a 250, but I wasn't buying the bike so I ended up with a 500, and personally I'm glad I did. I'd say go for a 250 if you're a bit nervous about it. You really can't go wrong with a 250, and you seem like a sensible person who won't be power hungry or trying to be the fastest person on the road. But take the forums word for it over mine since I've never actually ridden a 250

also I'd just like to add I'm really sorry if i hurt your confidence! My bad.. making a potential new rider not want to ride is the last thing I want to do! Once you get settled with a bike and start learning your nervousness will fade away before you even know it!
Ok, now I know you we're just kidding.. that's better! here have a cookie (>")>o No hard feelings

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #35
KawiKid860

I WILL NEVER ADMIT MY 500 IS UGLY. If I hurt her feelings she might buck me or break down or something. And besides, when you live with it you learn to love the way it looks. Mines even a bit messed up from a small accident and shes still pretty to me <3 but honestly if it looked anything like the newgen 250s I would've been all over it from the start, but then again I don't really mind the old school 90s sport bike look.

right, back on topic!

Old April 18th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #36
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
250 with a 500 motor swap? Best of both worlds.
hmmm someone already mentioned that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post

Old April 18th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #37
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
They did, it's called a ninja 650
I want a 500. Grr.

Old April 18th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #38
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Why? Why would u want the old engine model compared to the new one?
AFM #676

Old April 18th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #39
ninja_sleeper
ninjette.org guru

Name: Carrie

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:

500 are fugly. No offense. When I first saw one, I thought it looked nice, but next to a 250 or 600+ they look silly. Does Kawasaki still make 500 ninja's?

Old April 18th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #40
ninja_sleeper
ninjette.org guru

Name: Carrie

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Is there a kawasaki ninja 500 forum?