ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 1st, 2014, 09:33 PM   #1
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Sprocket Replacement?

When I was at my local shop today, one of the guys who works there took a look over of my bike and said it looks like my sprockets need replacing. And when replacing the sprockets, I need to replace the chain since the two go hand in hand.

Not sure if he is just looking to get some more work ($$$) out of me for my bike (I am going to be having new tires put on by them), or if he is correct. He was a really helpful guy giving me recommendations of tires, and showed me around the shop, so I doubt he is bsing me. He did say at the end that I could probably get another 2000-3000 miles out of it, but he wouldnt recommend it.

Regardless, I still want to get a second opinion from you guys.

Below is a picture of my rear sprocket. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140401_181457.jpg (74.3 KB, 15 views)
kennetht is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2014, 09:34 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It does look a little worn, but not terrible. How many miles on the chain / sprockets?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2014, 09:53 PM   #3
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It does look a little worn, but not terrible. How many miles on the chain / sprockets?
when i bought the bike from the previous owner the odometer stopped working. he said it didnt work for 2-3 months prior to selling to me.

at that point the bike had a bit over 8000 miles on it. assuming it is the original chain and sprocket that came when the bike was first bought. since purchasing the bike, i have probably put a couple hundred miles on the bike over the winter. (I am currently working on fixing the odometer)

My best guess is that the bike has around 9000 miles on it and so does the chain/sprockets

Old April 1st, 2014, 09:56 PM   #4
kennetht
ninjette.org member

in regards to the chain, is appears to be in bad shape (lots of rust). when i bought the bike i cleaned the chain the best i could (practically removed all the rust, and then lubed it up like crazy). Over the past 3 months she has gotten really rusted again. Looks like im going to have to pull out that wire brush and polish her up a bit and reapply the lube.

the previous owner really did not maintain the bike very well. because of that i got it for a steal.

Old April 4th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #5
kennetht
ninjette.org member

anyone else have any input?

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:01 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
If your trying to maximize chain/sprocket life then yea... replace as a set so they wear together. Otherwise, replace individual parts needed. I personally wouldn't replace it just yet, it just looks like it needs cleaned up. A little wire wheel on a cordless drill should have that thing looking shiny new again in a few minutes.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:06 AM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
chains will rust, no way around it, keep up on maintenance of it and measure stretch to determine how beat up the chain is.

Your sprocket looks ok as long as you want to continue using your current chain, however if you are going to replace either or just do it all, front, rear and chain at once and be done with it. + this way you don't have to worry about a beat up sprocket messing up your new chain or other way around.

If you are strapped for cash you would be ok for a bit yet, but if you have the money just replace everything and be happy and content knowing it is all good.

edit: apparently I need to be a little quicker putting my thoughts into text, @csmith12 ninja'd me

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:17 AM   #8
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Nooooooo wire brush please. The stock chain and any chain worth putting on a street bike has O-rings between the plates to retain the original grease. If you wire brush the chain you will damage the O-rings and the grease will escape, then it'll be trash. Exterior rush won't really effect anything as long as you take care of the chain from now on. If your adamant about making it look pretty again then try a stiff scotch bright instead with a little lube. The scotch bright will leave granules of abrasive material all over the chain so pressurized can of degreaser with the spraying force of a can of brake clean but a chemical that's no so harsh with displace a lot of the crap left over without forcing grease out of the O-rings. Some "light" pressurized air to finish cleaning the chain then relube and your done.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Dang... I guess I wasn't clear enough, my bad. The OP stated a new chain was getting installed. Not really sure why anyone would use a wire brush on a chain, much less a new one. I was referring to the sprocket.

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:32 AM   #10
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Nooooooo wire brush please. The stock chain and any chain worth putting on a street bike has O-rings between the plates to retain the original grease. If you wire brush the chain you will damage the O-rings and the grease will escape, then it'll be trash. Exterior rush won't really effect anything as long as you take care of the chain from now on. If your adamant about making it look pretty again then try a stiff scotch bright instead with a little lube. The scotch bright will leave granules of abrasive material all over the chain so pressurized can of degreaser with the spraying force of a can of brake clean but a chemical that's no so harsh with displace a lot of the crap left over without forcing grease out of the O-rings. Some "light" pressurized air to finish cleaning the chain then relube and your done.
when i mean brush it, i mean ill brush off the outside face of the chain to remove the rust. the bristles of the brush will not get near where the o-rings are at. i will be sure not to get in that area. definitely do not want to damage those o-rings

thanks for the response.

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:32 AM   #11
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Dang... I guess I wasn't clear enough, my bad. The OP stated a new chain was getting installed. Not really sure why anyone would use a wire brush on a chain, much less a new one. I was referring to the sprocket.
I knew what you were talking about

You did say "it looks like it just needs cleaned up", OP only posted a picture of sprocket

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #12
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
If your trying to maximize chain/sprocket life then yea... replace as a set so they wear together. Otherwise, replace individual parts needed. I personally wouldn't replace it just yet, it just looks like it needs cleaned up. A little wire wheel on a cordless drill should have that thing looking shiny new again in a few minutes.
yeah i agree. when it comes time to replace i will definitely replace them together as a set.

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #13
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
chains will rust, no way around it, keep up on maintenance of it and measure stretch to determine how beat up the chain is.

Your sprocket looks ok as long as you want to continue using your current chain, however if you are going to replace either or just do it all, front, rear and chain at once and be done with it. + this way you don't have to worry about a beat up sprocket messing up your new chain or other way around.

If you are strapped for cash you would be ok for a bit yet, but if you have the money just replace everything and be happy and content knowing it is all good.

edit: apparently I need to be a little quicker putting my thoughts into text, @csmith12 ninja'd me
yeah i definitely do not have the free cash flow at the moment to replace everything. i think i am going to hold off a bit. just going to clean the chain and sprocket a bit, and then lube the hell out of the chain.

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

It's all good, rojo posted some good info. Sadly, I have watched my neighbor clean his chains (4wheelers) with a wire brush.

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #15
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennetht View Post
when i mean brush it, i mean ill brush off the outside face of the chain to remove the rust. the bristles of the brush will not get near where the o-rings are at. i will be sure not to get in that area. definitely do not want to damage those o-rings

thanks for the response.
I knew what you meant but as you brush the chain the little steel wires get bent out and they can snake under the outer plate and damage the o-rings. You can do it with the brush, you just need to keep the pressure light and use your head.

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #16
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I knew what you meant but as you brush the chain the little steel wires get bent out and they can snake under the outer plate and damage the o-rings. You can do it with the brush, you just need to keep the pressure light and use your head.
I see what you mean. I will be sure to do it lightly, and pay very close attention to make sure it does not get near the o-rings

Old April 5th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #17
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

since we are on the subject of chains and sprockets, I am in the process of replacing both sprockets and the chain. Any body know what size the nut holds the sprocket on? I know it is metric, and larger than 19mm.

TIA

nb

Old April 5th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #18
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
since we are on the subject of chains and sprockets, I am in the process of replacing both sprockets and the chain. Any body know what size the nut holds the sprocket on? I know it is metric, and larger than 19mm.

TIA

nb
I just did this but I'm not 100% but my gut says 14mm wrench.

Old April 5th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #19
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Oopps, forgot to add, front sprocket.

Thanks, Jason, now I know what to use on the rear.

nb

Old April 5th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #20
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Front sprocket is a 27mm, i had to buy one to change mine.
Invest in a good chain beaker/riveter like the D.I.D. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DID-Chain-To...ab00b5&vxp=mtr

I got the D.I.D chain and sprocket kit which is excellent IMO. http://www.amazon.com/D-I-D-DKK-013-.../dp/B00G9TJX6I

Switched from chain oils to Maxima's chain Wax which is so much cleaner and keeps the chain looking like new.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #21
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
Front sprocket is a 27mm, i had to buy one to change mine.
Invest in a good chain beaker/riveter like the D.I.D. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DID-Chain-To...ab00b5&vxp=mtr

I got the D.I.D chain and sprocket kit which is excellent IMO. http://www.amazon.com/D-I-D-DKK-013-.../dp/B00G9TJX6I

Switched from chain oils to Maxima's chain Wax which is so much cleaner and keeps the chain looking like new.
Thanks, did you use a socket or box end?
Got a chain breaker a while back, this will be the first time that I get to use it. Not sure but I think that the only chain lube that I have used is the Maxima, that's good stuff.

nb

Old April 5th, 2014, 10:04 PM   #22
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

There isn't enough room for a wrench, so i got the socket.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #23
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
There isn't enough room for a wrench, so i got the socket.
Thanks Skullz.

nb