ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 24th, 2015, 06:45 AM   #1
vux
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Vux

Motorcycle(s): 2006 EX250F, 1982 XJ650J

A thank you and a funny tech related story

First off thanks to everyone that is a part of this community. I purchased a 06 250 about a month ago and you guys have been a huge help. I haven't asked anything myself, but I think I might have worn the 'search' button right out. I'm coming from another forum, xjbikes.com, that is full of the same kind of folks that are ready to offer up advice with nothing in return. The motorcycling community is awesome!

So, a story. Bought the bike not running with some damage for $700. It was for my girlfriend as her first bike. Together and over the course of a month we tore it down, cleaned the carbs, adjusted the valves, flushed the coolant, changed the oil, new gas, new air filter, new gas filter, and a new battery. Fired right up! We had some issues to run down, which ended up being a missing needle jet 'collar(?)', a torn diaphragm, and replacing the completely ineffective springy clamps on the air box with actual hose clamps. Last Saturday though, it felt good as new taking it around the block after finishing up the last volley of repairs.

She is learning pretty fast, and that Sunday we decided to take the bikes out and ride down to the coast to go for a hike. About 10 minutes into the ride, the bike stalls out at a stoplight right in the middle of a billion-lane intersection. It won't start back up and as the light turns green we have to get the bikes to the sidewalk across all the lanes. In the process, the bike gets dropped (no big deal) and she is PISSED, confidence very shaken.

I go into troubleshooting mode. She left the choke on a bit, so I am thinking it just flooded. I start working the throttle and starter. The bike won't start at all in any throttle position. I then try full choke, get a bit of a run, barely touch the throttle and it dies. It's a fuel issue! Hmm... Test the petcock, flowing like Niagara. No allen wrench to drain the float bowls. Next step, cuss at it for a few minutes while poking random things. No go, and the battery is going flat. I'm considering how to tow this sucker back home. Finally I walk to the other side of the bike from the petcock where I have been working and there it is clear as day. The carb overflow tube has worked its way down from where I routed it and was firmly melted onto the exhaust pipe. I couldn't have sealed it off better if I was trying. Popped out my swiss, took a few inches off the tube, rerouted it, and it fired up in a few seconds.

I gave her the option to keep going or head back home, and although she was really worked up about it (even though it was my fault really), she said let's keep going. It was a great day and learning experience for both of us.
vux is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old February 24th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #2
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

A warm welcome Vux
Wish you and your gf all times a safe ride.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #3
vux
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Vux

Motorcycle(s): 2006 EX250F, 1982 XJ650J

Oops, wrong forum

I guess I should have posted this in the pregen forums, but hey, applicable to both really.
vux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2015, 07:07 AM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vux View Post
I guess I should have posted this in the pregen forums, but hey, applicable to both really.
/moved to pregen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Welcome, Vux !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #7
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

welcome.

that is good to know, i was just routing some vent lines the other day on a different bike and noticed in the stock routing they came real close to the exhaust... i redid it, but it did get me wondering what would happen.

obviously the more serious problem would be hot fuel dripping/vaporizing off a hot exhaust... fire hazard and all that.
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Vux!

Looking back...sometimes those are some of the best days.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2015, 09:06 AM   #9
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Welcome Vux! Good save on the road.