Old February 22nd, 2014, 09:43 AM   #1
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Highside save compilation

Link to original page on YouTube.

agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old February 22nd, 2014, 09:56 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Never give up!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentbad View Post
Gravity, being a persistent force, can be your friend at bad times like these.

Very good vid, agentbad; ................ I love the save at @3:00, but @2:24 made me sad.

Thanks !!!

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2014, 10:15 AM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Any highside save is an impressive feat to me, but when the rider gets fully bucked off and then carried along before swinging themselves back onto the bike is downright superhuman.

And to make it easier:

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 10:19 AM   #5
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Now for something completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Any highside save is an impressive feat to me, but when the rider gets fully bucked off and then carried along before swinging themselves back onto the bike is downright superhuman.

And to make it easier:

It reminds me of people doing tricks on horseback but way more sketchy.

Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:32 PM   #6
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Awsome video. I love vids like this especially during the cold winter months! This video should be "Sticky Noted" and saved for every new rider that wants to upgrade to more power before they have learned proper throttle control! I have this problem with my SV (which is much less powerfull than a 600SS) anytime the tire gets cold and I get a little too liberal with the throttle. My rear tries to spin past the front and I have nearly gone down a few times even while straight up!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:38 PM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
This begs the question, what is the correct response to an impending highside? I know lowside is "lean your body farther, keep the throttle where it is and pray" but I'm not so sure for dealing with highsides.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:42 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Now for something completely different...............
Amazing vid, Bob !!!

Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
This begs the question, what is the correct response to an impending highside?..............I'm not so sure for dealing with highsides.
First, you need to understand the whole process.
Just like a sling-shot needs to be released to do its work, a high-side fall is never impending; it does not start developing until we make it happen:

http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=001

http://rideapart.com/2013/12/save-motorcycle-slide/

The rear tire sliding out is accumulating energy, just like when tensing the sling-shot before shooting.

Please, read this thread and article:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147376

Old February 22nd, 2014, 02:16 PM   #10
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Amazing vid, Bob !!!
Thanks.

Here's some more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzB6KSlD6ec

Old February 22nd, 2014, 05:19 PM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
You are welcome

Extraordinary camera work !!!

Old February 25th, 2014, 06:43 AM   #12
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Here's a pretty epic one.

Old February 25th, 2014, 06:47 AM   #13
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

It's amazing how some of these are pulled off. I know the bike wants to stay up right but some of these just look like they should just spin out.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #14
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Wiggle with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvA_H1Ri8Co

Yeah it seems like most successful saves guys stay on the throttle and try to keep the front straight. If they let off the throttle it turns the bike into a catapult.

Last futzed with by agentbad; February 25th, 2014 at 12:54 PM.

Old February 25th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #15
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
^ when in doubt power out

here's a great save from guy martin, though he put michael dunlop in the ground doing it

Old February 25th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #16
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

I think Dunlop decided to bail instead of hit Martin.

Old February 25th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #17
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Here's a pretty epic one.

This is what happened to me on my way home from work. I Usually jump the railroad tracks and catch some air, but yesterday I landed with my front tire turned slightly to the right which induced a bad death wobble when I landed. I think what saved me was that my ass wasn't on the seat for the bike to buck me off. I didn't fight the bars but seemingly It felt like I held the throttle constant while I looked down the road and stayed in my lane. Bike ended up righting self and just rode off like normal. Definitely a worthy video if I had the Go Pro on me recording.

Note to self, no more jumping railroad tracks.

Old February 25th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #18
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
I think Dunlop decided to bail instead of hit Martin.
That's what I meant by "put dunlop in the ground" dunlop thought they were both crashing so he decided better to have the crashes separate than to hit him and have them both go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
This is what happened to me on my way home from work. I Usually jump the railroad tracks and catch some air, but yesterday I landed with my front tire turned slightly to the right which induced a bad death wobble when I landed. I think what saved me was that my ass wasn't on the seat for the bike to buck me off. I didn't fight the bars but seemingly It felt like I held the throttle constant while I looked down the road and stayed in my lane. Bike ended up righting self and just rode off like normal. Definitely a worthy video if I had the Go Pro on me recording.

Note to self, no more jumping railroad tracks.
Jump dirt/mt bikes not street bikes, street bikes are too easy to break. It's fun as hell to get airtime though. If you're anything like me then you'll be back at it within a week

Old February 26th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #19
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
First, you need to understand the whole process.
Just like a sling-shot needs to be released to do its work, a high-side fall is never impending; it does not start developing until we make it happen:

http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=001

http://rideapart.com/2013/12/save-motorcycle-slide/

The rear tire sliding out is accumulating energy, just like when tensing the sling-shot before shooting.

Please, read this thread and article:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147376
From the msgroup.org page:

"But now he can make a mistake that can cost him his life - he can release the rear brake."

Isn't this what ABS does in a back wheel lock? Release the brake for an instant before it re-engages? So why doesn't ABS cause more highsides?

And given that part of the problem is power to the back wheel, does it help to always pull the clutch in when braking?
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #20
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
From the msgroup.org page:

"But now he can make a mistake that can cost him his life - he can release the rear brake."

Isn't this what ABS does in a back wheel lock? Release the brake for an instant before it re-engages? So why doesn't ABS cause more highsides?

And given that part of the problem is power to the back wheel, does it help to always pull the clutch in when braking?
msf, while a fantastic beginners tool has a tendency to apply absolutes to things to make concepts easier and safer for beginners. It's true that you want to keep the rear brake locked if you lock it but if you lock it while cornering you're most likely screwed anyway as you weren't following throttle control rule #1 for optimum stability.

ABS on bikes is a finiky thing, I personally have only used mine with the rear while coming to a stop at stop signs (it's likely saved a lot of tire life hahaha) Yes that is what ABS does, however to cause a proper highside requires a certain amount of rider skill (at least on our bikes, on a ss/sb all you need to do is pin it and then chop the throttle at the wrong time too agressively) where the rider is most likely not braking in the situation as braking itself reduces traction while cornering at higher lean angles.

no, do dot get into the habit of pulling the clutch to brake. engine braking is huge and helps to slow the bike down immensely. The ideal way to brake quickly is to 2finger brake (using the rear brake as well) and blip downshifts to continue the engine braking so that you have the front and rear brakes working as well as the engine slowing you down. This also leaves you in prime position to take a lower speed corner from high speeds if that is your goal.

Old February 26th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #21
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
msf, while a fantastic beginners tool has a tendency to apply absolutes to things to make concepts easier and safer for beginners. It's true that you want to keep the rear brake locked if you lock it but if you lock it while cornering you're most likely screwed anyway as you weren't following throttle control rule #1 for optimum stability.

ABS on bikes is a finiky thing, I personally have only used mine with the rear while coming to a stop at stop signs (it's likely saved a lot of tire life hahaha) Yes that is what ABS does, however to cause a proper highside requires a certain amount of rider skill (at least on our bikes, on a ss/sb all you need to do is pin it and then chop the throttle at the wrong time too agressively) where the rider is most likely not braking in the situation as braking itself reduces traction while cornering at higher lean angles.

no, do dot get into the habit of pulling the clutch to brake. engine braking is huge and helps to slow the bike down immensely. The ideal way to brake quickly is to 2finger brake (using the rear brake as well) and blip downshifts to continue the engine braking so that you have the front and rear brakes working as well as the engine slowing you down. This also leaves you in prime position to take a lower speed corner from high speeds if that is your goal.
Great points, thanks!

I do have the habit of clutching when braking, which I’m going to get rid of. At least I am always careful to do all of my braking before going into a curve, and gently apply throttle as I roll through the second half of the turn. I don’t think I’ve ever used the brake during a curve (I hate tailgating while riding and always make sure I have enough distance in front of me).

But yeah, I have to unlearn the clutch & brake thing.
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #22
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
That's good, you need to remember though that as your skills and techniques improve you'll learn that a lot of things that you know now aren't technically correct, at least not in all situations. Trailbraking is one of these techniques I'd tell you a few more of them but it's better to learn techniques on your own time than to be told more advanced methods of doing things and messing them up.

Old February 26th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #23
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

The 2 above posts bring up a good point about engine braking! I always down shift while braking that way you are less likely to lock the rear (maybe temporarily) and the engine speed matches your speed if you need to reapply power. High sides are usually caused by too much throttle while leaned over which causes the rear to start sliding out and that changes the line to change if allowed to go too far the rear builds more load than the front and when traction reoccurs and the tire hooks back up that energy has to go somewhere and since it cant push forward it goes up (bike is leaned over so it wants to push outward from the inside) and there is the least resistance to go up and you with it. That is why staying on the power is the best bet. You will either keep the rear spinning/sliding or when the rear hooks up it will push you forward and not/less upwards. The best thing to do is not get in this situation unless you have practiced it preferably off road on a dirt bike!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2015, 06:49 AM   #24
agentbad
ninjette.org sage