ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 1st, 2011, 09:38 AM   #1
pezlow010
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): 98 250r

Question killed battery now won't start - shorted something.

ok so i got up for work and it was really cold outside with frost on everything and well i had to be to work in an hour so i wanted to warm up the motor but the bike(98' ex250) wouldnt fire, it tried to start but it was too cold i guess well i killed the battery trying to start the bike and now with a fully charged battery it will not even crank, all i get is a single click sound from the fuse/junction box when i hit the start button.

ALL lights work, no fuses blown. i know i shorted something but i dont know much about electrical stuff just mechanical. and i dont have a manuel, i tried finding a pdf. file online for free.

thanks for the help guys
pezlow010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 09:48 AM   #2
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Not necessarily a short. Sounds like a sticky starter relay (if you're sure your battery took a charge). How long, and how did you charge it?
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 09:50 AM   #3
pezlow010
ninjette.org member

i charged it over night so not really sure how long it took. i used multimeter and tested the battery and it tested 12.5v~

Old December 1st, 2011, 09:52 AM   #4
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

The click sound you're hearing is the starter relay attempting to work, but it may be stuck. I had this issue occasionally on my old Yamaha. I could reach down and strike it with a screwdriver handle while holding down the start button, and it would kick on. That got to be a pain, so I eventually replaced it.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 09:57 AM   #5
pezlow010
ninjette.org member

is that the thing with the 30A fuse on it?

Old December 1st, 2011, 10:40 AM   #6
pezlow010
ninjette.org member

ok the clicking is coming from a relay inside the fuse box. i took it a part to make sure. i think the fuse box itself is the problem but im not sure because i dont know how to check the connections.

Old December 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Are you 100% sure the main fuse isn't blown?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM   #8
pezlow010
ninjette.org member

If its the green 30A fuse then yes if its not that one or any in the fuse box then I dont know where it is or if it blown.

Old December 1st, 2011, 12:04 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Can you start the bike by push starting it?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 12:06 PM   #10
pezlow010
ninjette.org member

Havent tried that. I dont know how to really

Old December 1st, 2011, 12:13 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Turn the choke on, get the bike into 3rd gear, roll it down the driveway and once you have enough speed let go of the clutch. This will force the engine to turn over and start up. Once its going pull the clutch in and put it in neutral.

If the bike starts while doing this then something is wrong with your battery/starter. If the bike will not start then something is wrong with fuses/wiring.

I don't know how new you are to riding but don't do this unless you feel 100% confident that you can handle it and won't drop the bike by accident. You may want to have a friend near by just in case.
AFM #676

Old December 1st, 2011, 01:14 PM   #12
pezlow010
ninjette.org member

Ok so I got the bike to start going down hill and now its idling in natural just fine. Going to wait and see if the bike will charge the battery more and then turn it off and try to start without the hill. if it doesnt start then its the starter right? Thanks guys for helping me so much. Might save me hundereds in repair bills

Old December 1st, 2011, 01:39 PM   #13
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Bump start.. you're doing it wrong..
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 01:42 PM   #14
pezlow010
ninjette.org member

Ok so I turned the bike off and now it wont start again. So the starter is the problem I guess or the magnetic switch thing with the green 30A fuse.

Old December 1st, 2011, 01:43 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Bump start.. you're doing it wrong..
wow.... just wow.....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 04:31 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezlow010 View Post
Ok so I turned the bike off and now it wont start again. So the starter is the problem I guess or the magnetic switch thing with the green 30A fuse.
It could also be a bum battery without enough amps to power the starter. Do you know how old the battery is?
AFM #676

Old December 1st, 2011, 04:42 PM   #17
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

The clicking is the starter solenoid (relay) engaging the battery, and then immediately releasing because under load the battery voltage drops to below the activation of the relay. This is called an astable multivibrator in techspeak that has nothing to do with motorcycles.

What you need to know is that is means the battery with NO reads good, but as soon as the starter is engaged (which pulls something like 50 amps), the voltage of the batter drops down way below what it should.

In other words, it's the batter, and the starter and solenoid are (most probably) working correctly.

You got a car, right? Just jump start the bike off the car and it'll probably fire right up, which will confirm that everything is good besides the battery.

Remember that the charing systems of our bikes only work well at higher rpms, so you can't leave your bike running and expect it to charge. If you want to charge it, you either need to ride it, or leave it connected with jumper cables to a car for a while.

Old December 1st, 2011, 04:47 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
@Skippii Dude, thats exactly what I just said! Except a whole lot much more smarterer.
AFM #676

Old December 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM   #19
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

If it's not the fuse you need a starter. I got one used off an 06 wreck for $50. I'm thinking you have a new battery, not a re-charged dead one though.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 04:53 PM   #20
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
If it's not the fuse you need a starter. I got one used off an 06 wreck for $50. I'm thinking you have a new battery, not a re-charged dead one though.
It's clearly not the fuse, or it wouldn't click.
If the starter was burned out, it wouldn't click either. It's the battery.

Old December 1st, 2011, 05:01 PM   #21
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Name: John-Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

+1 on the battery.

I bought a maintenance-free battery from a reputable online seller that was defective and would not start my bike, even though it had an open-cell voltage of close to 13v.

On a side note, I am not a big fan of sealed batteries. I like the old school type, they seem to be more trustworthy.
JCCJMM_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 05:22 PM   #22
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
You got a car, right? Just jump start the bike off the car and it'll probably fire right up, which will confirm that everything is good besides the battery.
and make sure the car is NOT running when you're hooked up to it for a jump. Car alternators put out enough juice that you'll cook the little ninja's electrical system
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 05:37 PM   #23
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
and make sure the car is NOT running when you're hooked up to it for a jump. Car alternators put out enough juice that you'll cook the little ninja's electrical system
I still wouldn't hook up a car battery to the little ninjas battery.
AFM #676

Old December 1st, 2011, 05:41 PM   #24
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I still wouldn't hook up a car battery to the little ninjas battery.
Shouldn't be a problem as long as the car is off.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old December 1st, 2011, 06:58 PM   #25
pezlow010
ninjette.org member

Ok so I got a mechanic to look at it for free and he used a screw driver on the starter solenoid to turn the starter motor and start the bike. He said replace the silenoid and it should work just fine.

Old December 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM   #26
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Ok so I got a mechanic to look at it for free and he used a screw driver on the starter solenoid to turn the starter motor and start the bike. He said replace the silenoid and it should work just fine.
IIRC your 98 Ninja shares the same starter as the new (2008+) Ninjas. The starters on our bikes do not have a conventional solenoid (which is externally mounted and replaceable) like some starters, but uses an internal one-way clutch assembly. Our starters are one piece, however they can be broken down and internal parts replaced. The starters on the Ninja are pretty reliable as long as the are not exposed the the elements for long periods of time and get seized up.
I would look at your battery again and make sure it has the proper amperage to turn the starter. Jump start the bike from a car battery (car not running) to see if the starter turns the engine over. Although your battery read 12.5v the amps may be too low. Check the wiki for some more info. http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Battery
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:02 AM   #27
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Quote:
By using a screwdriver (Reminds me of one time when I borrowed a KLR with a bad starter switch...had to use the screwdriver to start it every single time), he's eliminating the lower cutoff point for the switch, which means the battery will continue to power the starter motor at a much lower voltage than otherwise would be possible.

In other words, the problem might still be the batter, and the solenoid might be good. Actually, if it clicks, that confirms that it IS good.
The solenoids very rarely give any problems. Batteries frequently do, and give the symptoms you describe.

So, my advice is to ignore the mechanic.

Now, whether you want to trust some stranger on an Internet forum over a guy who is actually a mechanic and works in the field is your decision.

But if you connect (good) jumper cables to car and it starts up, you can be sure your solenoid is good and the problem is a dead battery.

Old December 2nd, 2011, 10:59 AM   #28
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
It's clearly not the fuse, or it wouldn't click.
If the starter was burned out, it wouldn't click either. It's the battery.
That's odd because mine did with a new battery and fuse. I installed the new(used) starter and with choke full on as time had passed; she kicked like a mule. Oh. and I listen to my mechanic, but I know who he is and his background.

Old December 2nd, 2011, 11:14 AM   #29
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Skippi chopper

I couldn't beleive it was a ninja 500 as i own one. Just by the sound of the engine, i don't know what you did to it, but how long til you blow the cylinders? or have you already. Great lesson on how to mutilate a beautiful 4-stroke ninja 500 parallel twin. Forgive me i'm not a mechanic and have ruined cylinders myself from outtake on (exhaust system).

Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:12 PM   #30
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:43 PM   #31
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I'm not sure he understands what he means. Coondog - what chopper are you talking about?

Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:01 PM   #32
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

He's talking about mine (ex500 Dirt Chopper). I'm not sure why, or where he's heard the engine...

I was mostly confused about his starter, though.

Old December 4th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #33
coondog
ninjette.org sage

I thought the video (with audio) you ran was of the 500. I ruined an engine once that was too large for the cooling and exhaust system I had installed with it. It was a salvaged ninja 500 engine and it ended up sounding like whatever bike is on your tape. I screwed the pooch on that one, ruined a cylinder running it over hill and dale that summer. You most likely got the results I wanted but didn't. Was inquiring. Also just noticed in second photo posted your exhaust looks more appropriate than what I saw (heard) from the first photo and video.

Old December 4th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #34
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

The engine and cooling is totally stock. I'm running Uni Pod filters on the intake.
I've changed the muffler three times.

First was a D&D (loud, heavy, and didn't fit well)

Second was a shortened stock SV650 muffler. As a joke, I removed the outer housing...

and replaced it with another that just happened to be a perfect fit:

The current muffler is homemade. It's got a very long baffle so it's surprisingly quiet--a very deep rumble, not that loud sharp sound most sportbikes have. It's also got a USFS approved spark arrestor.

Old December 4th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #35
94fiveohvert
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r, crf 50

That's a pretty sweet lookin chopper, how did it handle on/off road? maybe it needs it's own thread. unless there is one?
94fiveohvert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #36
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94fiveohvert View Post
That's a pretty sweet lookin chopper, how did it handle on/off road? maybe it needs it's own thread. unless there is one?
I'll post up a thread tomorrow. I have most of it posted on another site, but all the pics are now dead links I'll have to fix.
It handles decently both on and off road. Not great, but far better than just about any other bike with apehangers.

Old December 4th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #37
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I'll post up a thread tomorrow. I have most of it posted on another site, but all the pics are now dead links I'll have to fix.
It handles decently both on and off road. Not great, but far better than just about any other bike with apehangers.
Oh crap, another novel from Skippii
AFM #676

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #38
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
The engine and cooling is totally stock. I'm running Uni Pod filters on the intake.
I've changed the muffler three times.

First was a D&D (loud, heavy, and didn't fit well)

Second was a shortened stock SV650 muffler. As a joke, I removed the outer housing...

and replaced it with another that just happened to be a perfect fit:

The current muffler is homemade. It's got a very long baffle so it's surprisingly quiet--a very deep rumble, not that loud sharp sound most sportbikes have. It's also got a USFS approved spark arrestor.

Ahhh. it was the chopped, naked SV can. And the angle of the photo from from the front so it looked really short, stubby. Anyway, glad for your success where I failed, though it was a hell of a summer overall. Peace out, thanks for explaining.

Old December 10th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #39
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
i charged it over night so not really sure how long it took. i used multimeter and tested the battery and it tested 12.5v~
Quote:
If your battery was only 12.5V after a charge, then the battery is shot too. The voltage after charging should be somewhere around 13.5V until it settles and then will be about 12.7V. Settling takes about an hour.

The solenoid isn't going to work if the battery is too low. Measure the battery voltage while you are cranking it. The voltage should not drop below 10V. If it does, get a new battery.