ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 29th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Track/racers Suggestions?

As many of you know I have my first track day scheduled for this July. I have most of my gear and I am debating on just a back protector or a full vest. The vest will effectively double many of the pads in my leathers as well as adding both back and chest protection. I would like to hear from some people who ride on the track and if they think I am being too cautious with a full vest. I have selected each piece of gear for the track by its protection level and I have gone with the more protective choice every time so far. I do not intend to crash but I need to go to work the next day and my wife worries so I bought a lot of well armored equipment.

I have leathers with hard armor in the elbows, knees and shoulders and a padded hump in the back with a back protector but I want to get a better one so if I am buying armor is a full vest a smart idea or should I just get a back protector and ride?
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nope, many riders wear a full vest.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Ant -- as you know I've not ridden the track yet, but I opted for a full vest -- the one from Forcefield. It's really unlikely I need this level of protection, but it's cheap insurance and at my age, my body is a bit more fragile than it was when I was young like you.

I just couldn't help imagining myself lying there with a busted rib and thinking how STUPID I was to not get full armor.....

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...-harness-flite

pertinent observations that I'm qualified to make -

- The chest piece adds considerably to your girth. I had to go up one suit size to accommodate both it and the back protector.

- On this vest, it's possible to wear only the back protector. The front and back are separate pieces. This gives me the option of armoring up fully for the track, or just wearing the back protector for street riding.

- On this vest, the shoulder pieces are several layers of fabric and velcro. this makes them bulky... between half an inch and an inch thick. They don't actually get in the way of head movement, but it's noticeable especially when getting into the suit.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2014, 06:18 AM   #4
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

I wear a back and chest protector at all times on the track whether its for a race or track day. If the vest you are talking about is the Dianese vest with elbow and shoulder pads I would not suggest using that with a suit that already has those pads in place. If you are talking about the Alpinestars vest with just back and chest protectors, that is a good one to use with a suit. I prefer to have them separate since I don't always take the suit off between track sessions. Having independent back and chest protectors allows me to unzip the suit and take out the chest plate to get some air. Then I can get back on track quickly.

Old March 30th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
just don't crash and you wont need to worry about it. it sounds simple, but its easier to not crash on the track than it is on the street. just be sane. and responsible. know that you have limits. realize it takes time to raise those limits. so make sure you are comfortable with everything you do.

also, more gear i dont think ever hurt nobody in a crash... maybe. the leatt brace looks pretty cool and it prevents the helmet from breaking your collar bone if you crash too.

Old March 30th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #6
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_EOD View Post
I wear a back and chest protector at all times on the track whether its for a race or track day. If the vest you are talking about is the Dianese vest with elbow and shoulder pads I would not suggest using that with a suit that already has those pads in place. If you are talking about the Alpinestars vest with just back and chest protectors, that is a good one to use with a suit. I prefer to have them separate since I don't always take the suit off between track sessions. Having independent back and chest protectors allows me to unzip the suit and take out the chest plate to get some air. Then I can get back on track quickly.

The vest I WAS considering had sleeves and elbow pads. I is made by ICON. I will look into other styles/brands thanks to this feed back. I know that the biggest threat to me crashing at the track is me but I have never been so I would rather be over cautious then sorry. I will be well prepared by the time I do hit the track. I think I have a line on a parking lot (with owner permission) to do some mild practicing of my form and braking. I cant wait much longer for the weather to get nice so I can finally ride again!
Bought a new Double Bubble wind screen for my Sv along with SS brake lines to go with the GSXR calipers I just installed with HH pads. I also got the software to adjust the fueling via USBIII and a new rear tire on order! I helped my friend put a GSXR 600 shock on his SV this weekend and will be doing the same to our (wifes and mine) Ninja 250 this coming weekend. I also have picked up a few new bits for my Ducati (mostly carbon fibre) and should be all set to go if the weather permits.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote