Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 20th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #1
TaserX
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Advice on buying a bike..

Hello guys,

Just came across this site tonight and I love the info on it. I have desired a motorcycle my entire life (29) but have never been around them or had the opportunity to get one/learn. I have always loved the ninjas and after much research I definitely want to start out with a Ninja 250.

While searching for bikes on CL, I came across a 2000 Ninja 250 that the seller was asking $800.00. I haven't seen the bike in person as it is about a 2 hour drive but according to the owner there is no problems with it and has a new battery. The main and big issue is it as 51,000 miles on it...yes 51,000.

Even I know that is a lot for a 250. Though it got me thinking, would it be worth it if it did run well? Then I have something to learn on and I am not invested that much into it.

Also granted I am sure with a bike with that many miles I am bound to face repairs and maintenance, I am curious if it is cost effective to buy and fix up or would I be better off to save up and look for a newer/less used bike?

Any advice or tips would be great! Thanks!
TaserX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #2
YunMing
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexander

Motorcycle(s): (Sold) 2007 Red Ninja 250r, 2003 Cbr 600 F4i

I think it would be a better idea to just save up and buy one with less miles. It's about 1500 - 2000 for a decent one in my area.
YunMing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #3
NewbieNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Yue Pheng

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r, 2009 Suzuki GSX-R750

Im with Yunming, you will just end up paying more for it in the long run.. you can get a decent one for slightly more with WAY less miles.. I got my 2009 for 2k w/ only 3k miles
NewbieNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 05:52 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Andy!

51k is no big deal if the bike was very well maintained. If there are service records for this bike, I would have no problem buying it. If there isn't, then I would assume the worst treatment and that the bike has been down. As for buying a fixer upper, if your a good wrencher and know how to work on bikes, then you can save a ton of paper by buying a used and abused bike to learn on. That is exactly what I did, bought an old pregen for 1k and beat the crap out of it. If your new to bikes in general, it may be best to just buy a known well running/maintained bike to ride.

Good luck in your search.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #5
pomartin
ninjette.org member

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (FI)

csmith12 is right.
If there are maintenance records then buy it.
Most of people think that 60k+ is the end of motorcycle... but this is not always true
pomartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #6
soggybottom
Aimless

Name: rory

Motorcycle(s): 01 ninja 250

I'd offer 600. If he takes it you get a cheap bike to learn on at a great price. If not you keep looking for a bike with fewer miles. These bikes are everywhere. There will be others.

Old February 20th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #7
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Also, this is a fantastic read to help with checking out a used bike. Even if you check a quarter of the things on there, you'll be way ahead of the general moto-buying populous.

Old February 20th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #8
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

Save up like $400 more and u can find a better pregen with 40,000 less miles.

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #9
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

If the bike has no problems with that many miles on it, I wouldn't say it is bad. I am currently looking for a pregen to get as my first bike while I save up for an 08+ or 300.
IdRatherDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 05:58 AM   #10
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

imo, it depends on your level of financial comfort and free time

you can definitely buy a cheap bike, and by doing your own work to it, keep it running for a long time.

personally, I tend to work longer hours, leaving me with less free time during the week, so I don't want to spend my weekends holed up in the garage. I bought an 08 with only 6k miles. the extra 2K was worth my peace of mind, knowing that the chance of major mechanical issues (aside from maintenance) is much lower. I'll probably ditch it within a few years for something newer, to avoid those larger maintenance/repair bills. to me, the bike is more of a fun mode of transportation than an all around hobby including mechanical work. While I will turn a wrench, I'm not too keen on the idea of buying something that could potentially require excess repair work.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote