ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Items Wanted

Old December 6th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Looking for a left side fairing

So somehow I can't post a thread in the motorcycle-related section looking for this part, but I just downed my bike.

I was pulling out of my basement and completely spun out as I gave the bike throttle. For some reason my basement is extremely oily and slippery and first thing in my mind was to sue my building for this as it's hazardous and it should be well maintained. I am not going to tell my insurance because there's a $500 deductible, and the price will raise but I feel like my building is to blame for the slippery ground. Here's a picture of the ground and my bike after I went down:

I cannot find anywhere online that has them. I'm willing to pay for an OEM one to match the 2008 blue color. I'm not sure if it's the left fairing or the right but it's on the side where the kickstand is. Please help..

Like this but in better shape
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

That is the left side.

OEM Dealers: kawasakipartshouse.com
And CheapCycleParts.com http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...cowling-lowers

I've never dealt with either so idk about their service. If you find someone's old race build you might be able to buy from them for like 80 less. That's what I did. Are you going to buy frame sliders now? They could have turned your $200+ drop into a $40 one for a new puck

Edit: Looks like your turn signal cracked your fairing. Time for flush mounts!
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floki View Post
That is the left side.

OEM Dealers: kawasakipartshouse.com
And CheapCycleParts.com http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...cowling-lowers

I've never dealt with either so idk about their service. If you find someone's old race build you might be able to buy from them for like 80 less. That's what I did. Are you going to buy frame sliders now? They could have turned your $200+ drop into a $40 one for a new puck

Edit: Looks like your turn signal cracked your fairing. Time for flush mounts!
Thanks for the link. I was looking at both of those sites but didn't know they were called "cowling lowers". Honestly I'm not sure about the frame sliders I've been hearing bad things about them. I just bought this bike about 3 weeks ago. I'm hoping all I have to replace is that main left fairing.

Should I get it serviced somewhere? I'm really unsure what to do I'm just going to order the part and hope me and my step-dad can do it right.

Flush mounts are also a good idea but are they safe enough for others to see the turn signal clearly?

Old December 6th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Just 3 weeks in then this, aint that rotten luck. Rider all good? From what I see, that fairing can be repaired easy enough.

Sliders had a good chance of saving you some damage in this case. Thing is with sliders, it's just that... they have to be able to slide. Because if they catch on something, you might as well not have them on.

And yes, many fairings have been cracked and/broken due to the stems on the factory turn signals. Flush mounts do help with this but you have to find some that are bright enough to be seen and do not get installed recessed to deeply into the stock fairing hole.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Just 3 weeks in then this, aint that rotten luck. Rider all good? From what I see, that fairing can be repaired easy enough.

Sliders had a good chance of saving you some damage in this case. Thing is with sliders, it's just that... they have to be able to slide. Because if they catch on something, you might as well not have them on.

And yes, many fairings have been cracked and/broken due to the stems on the factory turn signals. Flush mounts do help with this but you have to find some that are bright enough to be seen and do not get installed recessed to deeply into the stock fairing hole.
Yeah I pretty much hate my life right now, but it's my first bike and it's bound to happen. My babies getting fixed before the nice weather though that's for sure.

Old December 6th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Thanks for the link. I was looking at both of those sites but didn't know they were called "cowling lowers". Honestly I'm not sure about the frame sliders I've been hearing bad things about them. I just bought this bike about 3 weeks ago. I'm hoping all I have to replace is that main left fairing.

Should I get it serviced somewhere? I'm really unsure what to do I'm just going to order the part and hope me and my step-dad can do it right.

Flush mounts are also a good idea but are they safe enough for others to see the turn signal clearly?
IMO Shogun Frame Sliders are the best things out there. From what I've read they are proven to break off at higher speeds to keep the bike from flipping and causing more damage.

As for damage that may be underneath, I doubt it. You can take the fairing off in about 5 minutes and check everything. No need to bring it to a shop.

Flush mounts it looks like modmy250 and protons are your best bets. You can put silicon sealer underneath the protons to make them poke out more but if you think about it when does someone coming toward you really need to see your blinker?
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #7
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
IMO Shogun Frame Sliders are the best things out there. From what I've read they are proven to break off at higher speeds to keep the bike from flipping and causing more damage.

As for damage that may be underneath, I doubt it. You can take the fairing off in about 5 minutes and check everything. No need to bring it to a shop
I'll have to consider the frame sliders than, I'm going to remove the fairing and wait for my new one to come in.

Quote:
You can put silicon sealer underneath the protons to make them poke out more but if you think about it when does someone coming toward you really need to see your blinker?
At an intersection or if you're turning in a one way street with cars in your direction. I don't think flush mounted signals are a good idea, stock turn signals are tiny I couldn't imagine how the flush mounts would be.

Old December 6th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #8
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Another thing you can do is leave the scraped one on for awhile until you have a good feel for the bike and have the skill set to ride around without the minor tip overs. Once you are confident in your ability to keep control of the bike, then swap out to the new one with the assurance you won't scuff that one as well.

I know your baby ain't pretty with that rash but it might save you some cash should you accidentally drop her again.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #9
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Another thing you can do is leave the scraped one on for awhile until you have a good feel for the bike and have the skill set to ride around without the minor tip overs. Once you are confident in your ability to keep control of the bike, then swap out to the new one with the assurance you won't scuff that one as well.

I know your baby ain't pretty with that rash but it might save you some cash should you accidentally drop her again.
That's a good idea but it just wasn't my fault. If the ground wasn't slippery like it was I would have not fell. It was bad judgment on my part, now I know to be extra careful when it's wet down there, and to save my baby for the nicer weather.

Old December 6th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
That's a good idea but it just wasn't my fault. If the ground wasn't slippery like it was I would have not fell.
Sadly, this isn't accurate. You are guaranteed to encounter much worse road conditions throughout your time on a bike. Any time they cause the bike to hit the ground, it's still your fault.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #11
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Sadly, this isn't accurate. You are guaranteed to encounter much worse road conditions throughout your time on a bike. Any time they cause the bike to hit the ground, it's still your fault.
That's something that comes in time, but if the ground is unsuspectingly slippery why would it be my fault if I was doing nothing wrong? I'm going to learn from this and make sure it never happens again.

It was not only my bad judgement to take the bike out on that day with my experience but also the harsh garage conditions that led to me my tires losing grip.

Old December 7th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #12
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Black ice, rain, oil in the center of the lane, wet crosswalk markings, spilled gas, sand, banana peel. Lots of reasons that there will be an unsuspectingly slippery surface where it's your responsibility to pay attention and react correctly.

You're right, it comes in time and practice. Practice. And more practice.

I'm going to guess it was when you gave the bike throttle. I'm not great at breaking down the exact cause and effects of too much throttle. Many many folks here are much better than I.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote