ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old June 17th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #1
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Holy Bejesus I Went to the Track...

...And it was pretty much the best thing ever. I mean: EVER.

So the story is: I'd never been to the track, and was wondering about just trying it out. Then I get an email from NESBA saying that I could come out to their track day and run the first two beginner sessions for free. On their demo bikes. Whichever ones I wanted.

Yes please.

So I did, and it was the best thing ever. I tried the FZ6R first, because I'm actually kinda' interested in that bike, but that was a mistake. It's PRECISELY a street bike -- well-behaved, smooth, and no power up top. I didn't get it any faster than my 300 could have gone, and it doesn't turn NEARLY as easy. It's a great bike, but it doesn't seem like a better street bike (in most areas) than my ninjette, and it's a worse at being aggressive.

Then, for the next session, I took out an R6. Holy baby jesus. That's the most fun EVAR. Outcome of the day: I need to do A LOT of track days. And I need an R6 track bike. That POSITION. I just slid off the tank and seat. It was crazy-easy to just put my helmet on the back of my wrist. LOVED THAT FEELING.

So you all will now see me in this section of the forum. The end.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old June 17th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #2
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by tnr4; June 18th, 2013 at 08:42 AM.

Old June 17th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #3
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Well don't hold back, tell us how you really feel
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #4
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Well don't hold back, tell us how you really feel

Old June 17th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Dude, I feel ya. I've been once last June 25. I'm going back this Fri and Sat. I've been so looking forward to this for a year now!! It's like a drug; the most pure riding you'll ever experience, even if you're a noob like me with much to learn.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #6
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Dude, I feel ya. I've been once last June 25. I'm going back this Fri and Sat. I've been so looking forward to this for a year now!! It's like a drug; the most pure riding you'll ever experience, even if you're a noob like me with much to learn.
Yeah, I've been watching you're Mid-O posts with jealousy. The only tough part about today is that I went by myself. If the Yamaha guys hadn't been so cool, I'd have been really nervous about figuring out the ropes. It would be awesome to go with a big group like you all! Maybe next year that will be worth a trip to OH.

Old June 17th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Welcome to the addiction!

Old June 17th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #8
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
I kinda know what you mean when you hopped on the R6. When I jumped on a friends 636 a few weeks ago at Laguna for the first time I was like "hell yeah I'm finally home" there's nothing quite like the power, brakes and position of a true Sport Bike.

You should check out the Laguna videos and get a laugh at the difference between the 250 and 600s.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Then, for the next session, I took out an R6. Holy baby jesus. That's the most fun EVAR. Outcome of the day: I need to do A LOT of track days. And I need an R6 track bike. That POSITION. I just slid off the tank and seat. It was crazy-easy to just put my helmet on the back of my wrist. LOVED THAT FEELING.
Now you know. Did you look at the tires they were running? If you dial in the suspension to your liking and put some michelin cups on there..... and whoa....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #10
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_EOD View Post
Welcome to the addiction!
Yes, I am guessing that doing this once is going to prove to be a VERY expensive mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
there's nothing quite like the power, brakes and position of a true Sport Bike.
Truly. I know it sounds totally stupid, but now I finally 'get' those bikes. So many of them just get squidded around town, that I forgot what incredible weapons they are. But oh my, as long as you let 'em loose in the right environment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Now you know. Did you look at the tires they were running? If you dial in the suspension to your liking and put some michelin cups on there..... and whoa....
I can only imagine. On the last couple laps, I was finally getting comfy enough with the track and the bike that I pushed it a bit on my two favorite turns, and the back end got *weird*. I'm not sure how to describe it (you guys would know), but I knew I wasn't in trouble (it wasn't slipping out or anything), it just wasn't giving me the right feedback anymore. I'm guessing that on my own bike, I could get rid of that with proper tuning.

I think they were running Q2s on the whole demo fleet.

And funny story: my R6 had 14 miles on it. The R1 I sat on for kicks at 0 miles on it. No one had even run it up and down pit lane!

Old June 17th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

I know what you mean about the floaty rear end. Don't worry about describing it, I already took care of that for you here.

Q2's rock, I ran them till midpack A group before they became a problem.

Old June 18th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #12
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I know what you mean about the floaty rear end. Don't worry about describing it, I already took care of that for you here.
Wow, that's exactly it! I feel a little better about it, now that I know an experienced guy like you gets that feeling too. I assumed it was some big ol' noob-issue.

Also: the sweat thing is totally spot on. I thought you were just being literary when I first saw your post, but it's one of the sensations out there. Only your face is uncompressed by material, so the beads of sweat rolling down are noticeable. Funny stuff.

Old June 18th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #13
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Video up. Obviously, I'm a big ol' track newb, and this was my second session ever on a track, and on a bike I'd never ridden before. So I know: I'm slow. But it was still a blast, so I still wanted to share.

And although the things I have to work on probably constitute an infinitely long list, I'm happy to receive specific, constructive criticism. Learning rules.

Also: THREE people went off the track in the last five minutes of the session! It's like there were suddenly magnets out there! So right about the time I started feeling more comfortable, we had some slow stretches where we were looking for yellow flags.

Old June 19th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #14
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Alright, here's ground zero: my BP during my second session out. Can't wait to get out there and get better. I'm sure I had some better corners, but I'm also sure I had MANY much worse ones. Thanks to John and the guys at picsofyou for taking great pictures on Monday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Track Day copy - Version 2.jpg (86.0 KB, 14 views)

Old June 19th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Nice pic but I bet your video didn't turn out to well did it?

EDIT: The vid didn't turn out as bad as I though.

Pro Tip* When going to the track, you will have to adjust your cam because your bp will be much more aggressive. And you will end up with 15-20 mins of staring at the tarmac. But.... it's not a total waist. Use it to watch your reference points, lines and for hitting apexes at the points where you think you should.

Old June 19th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #16
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

Quote:
Video up. Obviously, I'm a big ol' track newb, and this was my second session ever on a track, and on a bike I'd never ridden before. So I know: I'm slow. But it was still a blast, so I still wanted to share.

And although the things I have to work on probably constitute an infinitely long list, I'm happy to receive specific, constructive criticism. Learning rules.

Also: THREE people went off the track in the last five minutes of the session! It's like there were suddenly magnets out there! So right about the time I started feeling more comfortable, we had some slow stretches where we were looking for yellow flags.
People tend to run off/crash at:
- 1st session out. Because everyone's been itching to go ride!
- Last session of the day, because they're tired. Incidentally that's when the grid is lightest and instructors come out to play, so if you want someone fast to chase, this is the time to do it!
- End of session, b/c they are tired. Well, in TX at least, in 110F heat, they are.

Your BP doesn't look bad at all, but you might want to lower those rearsets a bit, or your legs will cramp up as you go faster. Or they might not, totally depends on person.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #17
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

mmmmhmmmm

I started riding in general in August 11.
I did my first track November 11.

Never rode street again after that.

So I .... kinda .... know what you're feelin' !
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober View Post
- Last session of the day, because they're tired. Incidentally that's when the grid is lightest and instructors come out to play, so if you want someone fast to chase, this is the time to do it!
truf! My fastest laps are at the end of the day.

Quote:
you might want to lower those rearsets a

Old June 19th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #19
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:

Old June 19th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #20
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Travis, don't be so modest, that's not a bad place to be starting from at all! Better form than me already

Last 3 sessions were the fun ones.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #21
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Welcome to the addiction...who knows...next thing you know, you'll probably want to take up racing.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #22
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

I hear racing a ninja 250 is really fun.
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #23
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
I hear racing a ninja 250 is really fun.
I heard the same thing too!!! We should become best friends!
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear

Old June 19th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #24
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Nice pic but I bet your video didn't turn out to well did it?

EDIT: The vid didn't turn out as bad as I though.

Pro Tip* When going to the track, you will have to adjust your cam because your bp will be much more aggressive. And you will end up with 15-20 mins of staring at the tarmac. But.... it's not a total waist. Use it to watch your reference points, lines and for hitting apexes at the points where you think you should.
Thanks! Yeah, the vid isn't bad, but that's probably just because I wasn't as aggressive as I need to be. My Scorpion is a great commuter/touring helmet, but I learned that it's not a great track helmet: the eyeport is too small, so I had to crane my neck to see anything. Probably helped get usable video, but I'd rather be able to see while in a full tuck!

Quote:
Your BP doesn't look bad at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Travis, don't be so modest, that's not a bad place to be starting from at all! Better form than me already
Thanks dudes! And Chris: I don't believe that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
mmmmhmmmm

I started riding in general in August 11.
I did my first track November 11.

Never rode street again after that.
Wow! Well, I'll never be able to give up street riding, because I love being on two wheels too much -- even just to get places. But I do think that I will spend less time in the twisties now, and just save it for the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
Welcome to the addiction...who knows...next thing you know, you'll probably want to take up racing.
Haha. Just thinking about the money I want to spend on going to the track (dedicated track bike, tires, trailer, tools, etc, etc, etc), I don't know how you guys who race pull it off. Seems to require either real wealth, or a willingness to live on Ramen.

Old June 20th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #25
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Haha. Just thinking about the money I want to spend on going to the track (dedicated track bike, tires, trailer, tools, etc, etc, etc), I don't know how you guys who race pull it off. Seems to require either real wealth, or a willingness to live on Ramen.
Sacrifices such as not spending the money clubbing or boozing it up with friends was a huge help. Also not eating out for lunch everyday for work but instead bringing my own lunches. Not going to the mall to spend money on clothes or other ****. Putting a small amount every paycheck into an account and next thing you know you have money to do a trackday plus expenses.

Buying and saving slowly for large expenses like a generator, trailer, etc. Camping at the track saves a lot of money and if you don't have a truck, installing a trailer hitch on your car. My trailer is a foldable Harbor Freight one too.

Old June 20th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #26
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

You can try the KY savings plan.

"If you can't shoot it, race it, sleep with it or eat it, then you just don't need it."

Old June 20th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #27
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
I get an email from NESBA saying that I could come out to their track day and run the first two beginner sessions for free. On their demo bikes. Whichever ones I wanted.
Lucky bastage.

How do I get on this email list?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #28
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Wow! Well, I'll never be able to give up street riding, because I love being on two wheels too much -- even just to get places. But I do think that I will spend less time in the twisties now, and just save it for the track.
Yeah it all depends on person and why you ride...
I live 5 miles away from my work so commuting in a cage is a non-issue.
I also go to track... A LOT. So I never miss street riding that much.

23 track days in 2 years and counting!

Needless to say I'm spending **** loads of money. I had the same friggin clothes for 2 years it's ridiculous. But hey... priorities

Old June 20th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #29
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Quote:
TBH it isnt much more expensive than track days... esp if you find a crew to carpool with, and of course stop doing track days in between

D don't practice!
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 06:31 AM   #30
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
You can try the KY savings plan.

"If you can't shoot it, race it, sleep with it or eat it, then you just don't need it."
I did my BA in southern IN (Hanover College), so I feel like I get your KY jokes more than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Lucky bastage.

How do I get on this email list?
Hmmmm. Good question. I get so much moto-related mail I can't even begin to tell you where I first signed up for various stuff. I just sign up for everything: I've gotten to do quite a few cool demos, including taking a Ducati Diavel out for an hour ride with the staff of Motorcyclist Magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
23 track days in 2 years and counting!
Holy track whore batman!