Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old January 27th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #1
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Gear recommendations

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some gear recommendations and opinions. Here's my train of thought... I am acquiring gear piece meal and I believe in the phrase, "You get what you pay for." I'll be taking the MSF at some point, then I'll purchase the bike, if everything goes according to plan. I am not on a budget for gear, but I do want something that is practical and protective.

This is what I have:

1. Bell Star Helmets w/Photochromic Visor
2. TCX Women's X-Square Boots - I made a purchasing mistake here, I want something with more protection.
3. Rev'it Women's Gear 2 Ignition Jacket
4. Rev'it Women's Gear 2 Ignition Leather Pants

These are things that I'm looking at getting on the gear list and need some recommendations:

1. Rev'it! Seesoft Back Protector Insert
2. Jacket for summer (The weather is around 90 - 110 degrees, mesh, textile... ?)
3. Pants for summer, kevlar jeans, mesh, textile? Armor underneath? Forcefield? Sas-Tec? Component armor (knees, elbows, hips, etc)?
4. Boots that will have great protection... I was looking at the Sidi Lei's, any other opinions or rec's?
5. Gloves (I've been looking at the Held Phantom's and I know the 1's are on sale now, but I'm not sure if I want to grab those now, or get the 2's), any other glove recommendations?
6. SAS-TEC Replacement Hip Armor
7. SAS-TEC Back Protector

I'd also like more than 1 set of gear, so I've been looking at these to add to the gear list:

1. Rev'it Women's Galatic Jacket
2. Spidi Women's Netix Mesh Jacket

For whatever it's worth, comments saying, "You don't know if you'll be interested in riding, don't spend that much on gear yet" will go in one ear and out the other. I've always wanted a motorcycle since I could remember, I've always liked them, however I never bit the bullet until now. I also do a lot of research on my own before I make pertinent decisions in my life. So, on that note, what can you recommend that I may have overlooked or that you have experience with in a crash? Thanks in advance.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
If you want stuff with armor inserts, just make sure it's CE armor. Because of my small size and things being unlikely to fit as well, I'm actually going the route of armored shorts, strap-on knee/leg armor, and then putting overpants on top with all the armor removed. Just throwing out an idea.

With boots, any full race boot should be plenty of protection.

Mesh will definitely ventilate more than textile or leather but probably will be shredded in the event of an accident. It's just generally not as sturdy so I guess you just need to decide how much you're willing to sacrifice for extra ventilation and how much heat you can take. I would say try riding with the gear you already have first and decide where to go from there. You may find that what you already have might work for you. I personally don't have a problem riding in heat with my perforated leather jacket.

I highly recommend the Phantoms. I love mine
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Consider the type of riding that you will do more frequently; no all available protection is preferred for each type.

For example, for daily commuting, the best gear for racing or track is not the most practical option (and vice-verse).

Consider as well that the best gear is the one that is always worn and never used.
That means that the gear should be considered the last line of defense (and not so much for street crashes at high speeds), that one that should never be needed.

Developing of awareness and skills, steadily and persistently, is the only way to never need to test the gear.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #4
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

lol can you really bump a thread that isn't even an hour old? hahaha

Old January 27th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #5
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
If you want stuff with armor inserts, just make sure it's CE armor. Because of my small size and things being unlikely to fit as well, I'm actually going the route of armored shorts, strap-on knee/leg armor, and then putting overpants on top with all the armor removed. Just throwing out an idea.

With boots, any full race boot should be plenty of protection.

Mesh will definitely ventilate more than textile or leather but probably will be shredded in the event of an accident. It's just generally not as sturdy so I guess you just need to decide how much you're willing to sacrifice for extra ventilation and how much heat you can take. I would say try riding with the gear you already have first and decide where to go from there. You may find that what you already have might work for you. I personally don't have a problem riding in heat with my perforated leather jacket.

I highly recommend the Phantoms. I love mine
Thanks, those are definitely things to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Consider the type of riding that you will do more frequently; no all available protection is preferred for each type.

For example, for daily commuting, the best gear for racing or track is not the most practical option (and vice-verse).

Consider as well that the best gear is the one that is always worn and never used. That means that the gear should be considered the last line of defense (and not so much for street crashes at high speeds), that one that should never be needed.

Developing of awareness and skills, steadily and persistently, is the only way to never need to test the gear.
Well, I'm already looking at canyon riding, possible track days (in the distant future), a commute to work here and there, etc. I'm pretty much open to all kinds of riding (except for rain/snow lol). As for what I highlighted in bold, I definitely plan on reading and learning a lot and I know that seat time is the most important. I'm trying to cover all my basis without it being overwhelming as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
lol can you really bump a thread that isn't even an hour old? hahaha
Of course you can! Btw, I don't want gear recommendations from you, your "full leathers" scare me.

Old January 27th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #6
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

LOL! O come on! Think of all the looks you'll get!

Old January 28th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #7
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

Buy gear that you will wear. Then buy some backup gear!

Motofool is spot on. Buy gear for your type(s) of riding. That what I did/am doing. After one year of riding, I have 4 jackets and 2 race boots for the 4 seasons (NY Weather). My leather perf will also be used for the more spirited riding, even in the summer. Mesh plus twistie roads don't mix well together. Doing this will also make sure you wear all your gear.

Example: Buying a leather jacket and only wearing it when it feels good to do so. Like 50-60º weather. But when summer time comes, they ditch it for a t-shirt because it's too hot. Too hot isn't going to stop the ground from eating your skin when we ride through the mountains. Have some elbow guards and/or a mesh jacket as a backup, at the very least.

Mesh Jacket: Look at Speed and Strength. I find S&S Mesh jackets to be both great looking, durable and practical. Vent really well and the rain liner in the jacket can normally be used by itself and fit fine when wearing a textile jacket.

Textile Jacket: I believe ICON makes great textile along with REV'IT. I have one from each. REV'IT might win out here.

Leather Jacket: If money is no object: DIANESE or Custom made. Speak to some cali riders for the specific custom jacket/suit makers.
My go to brands for anything leather are A*'s and AGV Sport.
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Some options for your aggressive twisty and track riding gear. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121967

In your case, I would be looking for an A* 2 piece. Will allow you to mix and match based on conditions and still get you on track.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Especially for hot weather, consider the wisdom of dressing for the ride.

Most of us think in terms of what will be comfortable over our street clothes. Protection takes a back seat. That's entirely reasonable, but there is another way.

I have a perforated leather jacket that's comfortable until we start seeing heat indexes of 90-95 plus.

When it gets that hot I change what I wear underneath. I'll wear a wicking long-sleeve shirt, and even soak it in water. This is for commuting, mind you... I put my work shirt in my tank bag and simply make a quick stop in the men's room before walking into the office. Takes only a minute. I've also got a cooling vest for really insane temps.

So I get the full protection of a leather jacket without killing myself, simply by looking at what I wear as a whole system.

Perfed leather is a great compromise between protection and comfort.

My personal criteria for gear:

1) Will it actually protect me (i.e. does it fit tightly enough to stay in place? Will it survive a slide intact? Does it have proper armor?)?

2) Is it comfortable enough that I'll wear it?

3) Does it have the features I want?

4) Is it well made?

5) Does it fit into my budget?

6) Will it help avoid an accident in some way (e.g. neon-yellow helmet visible from orbit)?

37) Does it look good?

946) What do others think of it?

8,459) What would Jiggles do?

Exactly what you choose is irrelevant as long as it meets your criteria. Good quality gear is everywhere. Mesh, textile, leather, hybrid.... there are excellent examples of all of them.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #10
MistahT
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 FZ6R, 2006 Ninja 250, 1977 Suzuki GS550

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
2. Jacket for summer (The weather is around 90 - 110 degrees, mesh, textile... ?)
3. Pants for summer, kevlar jeans, mesh, textile? Armor underneath? Forcefield? Sas-Tec? Component armor (knees, elbows, hips, etc)?
4. Boots that will have great protection... I was looking at the Sidi Lei's, any other opinions or rec's?
2. Jacket
I have an Icon Contra mesh/textile and it's gets quite hot up towards 100. Great jacket, but I'm looking for something cooler, too. Tried on some Joe Rocket jackets that were almost completely mesh but they didn't feel like would hold up in a slide, so I passed.

3. Pants
The best pair of non-leather riding pants I've ever had are Fieldsheer Titanium Air Mesh. Great protection, excellent feel, and breathes just as good as the Joe Rocket Phoenix pants. I got fat and bought the Joe Rocket Phoenix pants. Gotta buy a new pair of those Titaniums!!

4. Boots
My wife and I both just got Icon Reign boots. Price is decent, comfy enough where you don't need to bring an extra pair of shoes to change into, and lots of protection without going race boot. Highly recommend.
MistahT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #11
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions, I'm looking into everything you have put on the table. I just pulled the trigger on some Held Phantom's (got the last one in my size!). Now I need some boots. @adouglas - 8,459) more like 1,000,000,000 to the nth power

Old January 29th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #12
nycsteve
Biker

Don't forget, anything you wear when the temps hit 95+ will be hot. That's wear cooling vests comes in. You can always wet your t-shirt!

Old January 29th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #13
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
^ Well yeah, but I'm not too concerned about that, considering I have low body weight. Heat doesn't effect me as much as someone with more body weight, plus I'll have the wind factor. I won't really know until I'm actually in that type of environment, but that's my general predictions about it. You just had to add in wet t-shirt didn't you? Now my mind went somewhere else, haha, thanks for that visual, twas lovely. On a more serious note though, Rev'it came out with some cooling stuff here: REV'IT! Challenger Cooling Vest Insert. It'd be interesting to see how that all really pans out and if it actually works well. I may look into it, if it gets unbearable for me and yes, wetting a t-shirt would work, albeit temporarily.

Old January 29th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #14
nycsteve
Biker

You're Welcome! and,

WHHHHYYYYYYYY!

Just when I thought I was done spending money for gear, you just had to introduce me to the vest. My mind says get it, but the bank account says "no mas"!

Old January 29th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #15
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
H
This is what I have:

2. TCX Women's X-Square Boots - I made a purchasing mistake here, I want something with more protection.

These are things that I'm looking at getting on the gear list and need some recommendations:

5. Gloves (I've been looking at the Held Phantom's and I know the 1's are on sale now, but I'm not sure if I want to grab those now, or get the 2's), any other glove recommendations?
So... this is almost exactly what I have. Replace the boots with a pair of TCX Auras, plus I have 3 sets of gloves (Held Phantoms, A* Apex DryStar, and RevIt Women's Monsters). I've ridden in this in summer and winter, and I will say that by changing out the lining you can really cover the whole year in a SoCal/Nevada 4-season type riding area without needing another set.

Re: Another set of gear: I am currently in the process of picking up some track gear -- just got my Sidi Vertigo Leis and I'm eyeing either the Dainese Victoria or (waiting to see it and hear more details) the Women's Race Suit which comes out this spring.

Boots: Now here's the thing about the Leis: they are SUPER uncomfortable to wear while not riding. They're designed to hold your foot straight, so you can't flex it when you walk. If you want the protection go for it, but if you don't want to carry another set of footwear around I'd go for something a bit more touring oriented for daily riding.

SasTec armor upgrades: the only one of these you can make work in the Ignition/Gear2 set really is the back protector as far as I know (which I did).

Gloves: as mentioned I have a pair of Phantoms and adore them. Of the three they're definitely my go tos so I would recommend you pick them up (or grab a pair of "2s" and make me pouty jealous).
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #16
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
You're Welcome! and,

WHHHHYYYYYYYY!

Just when I thought I was done spending money for gear, you just had to introduce me to the vest. My mind says get it, but the bank account says "no mas"!
Haha, don't you hate that? There's a lot of nice gear out there that I'm eyeing as well. I can't help, but imagine how much the cost of gear could of went toward my future bike, but at least I'll be protected when I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
So... this is almost exactly what I have. Replace the boots with a pair of TCX Auras, plus I have 3 sets of gloves (Held Phantoms, A* Apex DryStar, and RevIt Women's Monsters). I've ridden in this in summer and winter, and I will say that by changing out the lining you can really cover the whole year in a SoCal/Nevada 4-season type riding area without needing another set.

Re: Another set of gear: I am currently in the process of picking up some track gear -- just got my Sidi Vertigo Leis and I'm eyeing either the Dainese Victoria or (waiting to see it and hear more details) the Women's Race Suit which comes out this spring.

Boots: Now here's the thing about the Leis: they are SUPER uncomfortable to wear while not riding. They're designed to hold your foot straight, so you can't flex it when you walk. If you want the protection go for it, but if you don't want to carry another set of footwear around I'd go for something a bit more touring oriented for daily riding.

SasTec armor upgrades: the only one of these you can make work in the Ignition/Gear2 set really is the back protector as far as I know (which I did).

Gloves: as mentioned I have a pair of Phantoms and adore them. Of the three they're definitely my go tos so I would recommend you pick them up (or grab a pair of "2s" and make me pouty jealous).
Zomg twinsies! LOL, I'm kidding, but I couldn't resist saying that. Thanks for that information on the Sidi Lei's, I've been contemplating between the Fusion and the Vertigo and I am kind of on the fence with it. I don't mind carrying them around. I've also been eyeing the Dainese Avant, but that doesn't look as protective as the Sidi's. The Dainese Victoria suit is very nice, but I'm really curious what they're coming out with this year. I saw a few pre-order stuff (without picture) in Revzilla's inventory.

Thanks for the heads up on the Sas-Tec, I didn't realize it wasn't compatible to the Ignition Gear 2 stuff. I'm wondering if you can use an exacto knife and do some kind of d.i.y. job, afterall Rev'it says you can do that with the back protector, so hmm.

Well, I got an email today from STG, apparently I was too slow getting the Phantom's in my size because the color I want was not available (even though it said there was 1 more left). It looks like I'll have to wait for the Phantom 2's after all, damn those things sold out fast...

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:09 PM   #17
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some gear recommendations and opinions. Here's my train of thought... I am acquiring gear piece meal and I believe in the phrase, "You get what you pay for." I'll be taking the MSF at some point, then I'll purchase the bike, if everything goes according to plan. I am not on a budget for gear, but I do want something that is practical and protective.

This is what I have:

2. Jacket for summer (The weather is around 90 - 110 degrees, mesh, textile... ?) White fully perferated leather jacket, A good one. I know it sounds silly but i use one every summer and i find it nice and cool. The white reflects the sun and as you go the air floowing through the jacket cools booth the jacket and you, it keeps the leather cool.
3. Pants for summer, kevlar jeans, mesh, textile? Armor underneath? Something that connects to your jacket so i say perforated leather pants. Get a two piece though for ease of use. Forcefield? Sas-Tec? Component armor (knees, elbows, hips, etc)? If you get quality gear it should have all the armor you need. Other then a back protector, i reccomend either a Dainese or Knox.
4. Boots that will have great protection... I was looking at the Sidi Lei's, any other opinions or rec's? Depends on how much you want to spend. Sidi and A* both have boots starting in the 200 dollar range that will fit for canyon/ occasional track day. if money is no object and you want the best, A* supertec R's are pretty much the best boot out there.
5. Gloves (I've been looking at the Held Phantom's and I know the 1's are on sale now, but I'm not sure if I want to grab those now, or get the 2's), any other glove recommendations? held are good and you wont go wrong with the phantoms. Look at the knox gloves as well. Skip the Handroids with the plastic crap on the outside and look at the Biomechs, they are a kangaroo glove that feels great and they flow so much air.

The last piece of gear you wiill need is an undersuit. One that helps keep you cool. With the undersuit and perforated leather its the most comfortable set up to give maximum protection in a canyon and will be at home on the track. A set up like that is good for day rides,canyon carving and trackdays.

I'd also like more than 1 set of gear, so I've been looking at these to add to the gear list:

1. Rev'it Women's Galatic Jacket
2. Spidi Women's Netix Mesh Jacket

For whatever it's worth, comments saying, "You don't know if you'll be interested in riding, don't spend that much on gear yet" will go in one ear and out the other. I've always wanted a motorcycle since I could remember, I've always liked them, however I never bit the bullet until now. I also do a lot of research on my own before I make pertinent decisions in my life. So, on that note, what can you recommend that I may have overlooked or that you have experience with in a crash? Thanks in advance.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:26 PM   #18
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
@Havok - Thanks a lot, especially about the undersuit. I have not heard much about an undersuit before, so I'm going to look into that. My gear list is almost complete, at least when it comes to getting me started. As we speak, I'm on Revzilla/STG researching boots and watching video reviews. I'm looking at the Alpinestars SMX Plus Vented Boots (I'm loving the protection, the supposed comfort and ventilation they provide) and the Dainese Torque RS Out Air Boots. Both of those boots seem to fit a more narrow profile, as far as foot size is concerned, which appeals to me. There are so many boot choices to choose from that I'm trying to weigh the pro's and con's of each. As for the A*s Supertech R's, those are definitely some premium boots and very nice, but apparently the A*s SMX Plus is a notch below that, which is still not a bad choice in my opinion.

Old February 1st, 2013, 12:18 AM   #19
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
@Havok - Thanks a lot, especially about the undersuit. I have not heard much about an undersuit before, so I'm going to look into that. My gear list is almost complete, at least when it comes to getting me started. As we speak, I'm on Revzilla/STG researching boots and watching video reviews. I'm looking at the Alpinestars SMX Plus Vented Boots (I'm loving the protection, the supposed comfort and ventilation they provide) and the Dainese Torque RS Out Air Boots. Both of those boots seem to fit a more narrow profile, as far as foot size is concerned, which appeals to me. There are so many boot choices to choose from that I'm trying to weigh the pro's and con's of each. As for the A*s Supertech R's, those are definitely some premium boots and very nice, but apparently the A*s SMX Plus is a notch below that, which is still not a bad choice in my opinion.
Get the A*s over the dainese. I am a slut for dainese gear but A* boots are by far my favorite. They fit and feel better and i think the protection is better. A friend has the SMX Plus and loves them. Good choice
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2013, 01:04 AM   #20
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
If you are in the LA area, or would be able to make a day trip, I'd highly recommend it. You could run by a few stores and try things on. Specifically my favorite three are:
Beach Moto in Santa Monica
Dainese Store in Cosa Mesta
Pro Italia in Glendale
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2013, 01:32 AM   #21
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Oh god replace those boots now! Those are not boots those are ****** sneakers and will let your ankle snap like a french fry under the fat feet of the average 400lb american. TCX makes some great quality boots but its depressing that they also make complete and utter ****. You can get some nice Sidi boots for about $200, I just got my gf a pair.

Gloves, those held phantoms would be your best bet right now. They are an excellent set of top quality gloves, you cannot go wrong with those.

Are you in the bay area?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2013, 08:18 AM   #22
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
I'm in the San Joaquin Valley area aka Central Cali.

@Yakaru - Thanks, I was not aware of those stores. I have a lot of time to take off, so I could easily take a trip there if need be, down the road. If I remember correctly, I think Z Custom Leathers is in SoCal too?
Edit: Oh wow, very nice (so much want)! D Store Orange County

@Jiggles - Yeah, I started reading some old threads on boots and thanks to a few members here, I realized that the TCX's I purchased were not sufficient, which is why I want to replace them asap. Also, I've been reading your insurance thread, which is very informative. I'm definitely going to make sure I'm covered in that area too and it has made me look at my cager policy more thoroughly and medical insurance in general.

Quote:
Those are not boots those are ****** sneakers and will let your ankle snap like a french fry under the fat feet of the average 400lb american.
Yep, or a 110lb person going up against a Sumo wrestler, which ever way you want to look at it.

As for the Held Phantom's, those are pending. I ordered them online, then got an email saying they weren't available after all. I called the store and they made me aware that a customer was returning the exact gloves I wanted in the size I need and that my name will be all over that (once they get the gloves returned to them), so I'll just have to wait and see.

Old February 1st, 2013, 10:04 AM   #23
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Nice

Btw I'm maxing out my 250k policy with a broken leg
AFM #676

Old February 1st, 2013, 10:12 AM   #24
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Nice

Btw I'm maxing out my 250k policy with a broken leg
if i remember right, you also maxed out the at fault claimant's insurance as well.

so that would put you over 300k?

Old February 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
No, 250 total, you don't get to add them together
AFM #676

Old February 1st, 2013, 11:24 AM   #26
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
No, 250 total, you don't get to add them together
nm, i was thinking something else...

Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:53 AM   #27
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
@Havok - In what way do A*s feel better over Dainese? How is the protection better?

I'm still at a cross roads with boots and can't decide what to get. Obviously, I want to protect my feet, but it seems like each brand has their own proprietary protection, so I don't know what exactly to look for. I figure I want to be covered for the average commute, weekend warrior/canyon riding and maybe the possible trackday. I may have to call Revzilla or STG and ask for more information.

Old February 4th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #28
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

way too tired to read the full thread...but the way *I* have always looked at gear was like this..

Textiles (jackets/pants) have to be CE rated, always. ( i have the icon Contra textile jacket, no pants yet)

if your goin to do Mesh jackets/pants, have some CE rated armor under it as somethin seperate like http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/i...r-stryker-vest for example.

and then theres leathers...everyone knows bout them leathers.

Me, personally..im more of a textile mix/match kinda guy. seems to work well in terms of riding conditions. and ive ridden in everything but canyon roads and snow.

as for boots...i have Spidi XPS3 and i really like them. the only thing that pisses me off about them is they have this little flimsy insert in them, so if i do a certain amount of walking in them, the insert crunches and builds up on the bottom of your foot. but for the protection i think your lookin for...id say http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...sion-lei-boots would be a good bet. Could be just me since im sleepy, but i dont see any gloves..i bought me some A* SPX gloves and they work wonders. these would probably work well sicne you dont plan on riding in rainy weather http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...-carbon-gloves

all i got for now, im super tired D:
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote