ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #1
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

went to pick up my pair of sp-8 and.....

like the asthetics of the glove and it felt solid but very very thick. i soon noticed there was some undone stitching between the index and middle finger. i returned them to find some broken stitching on the second pair. after this im starting to think that a*'s is manufacturing junk. told the retailer id order them again hoping the third time is the charm. if they come back with shoddy manufacturing, think im goin with a pair of rev'it gloves instead. every piece of a*'s gear ive seen from myself and friends are kinda on the lower side of quality in my opinion. i dont need a pair of track gloves so spending 200+ dollars is out of the question. anyone else have bad experiences with alpinestars? used to favor the brand but im starting to think that its just a logo.
ADoMinGu3z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 02:59 AM   #2
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

There cheaper stuff isn't the best quality but I haven't heard anything bad about the pricier stuff. I've heard several complaints about the sp8's and for the price you can find a better glove.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Huh, I ordered A*'s SP-8 gloves for cheap from Iron Pony and they didn't have any stitching issues. They've held up well over a full season. They're very comfortable gloves.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoMinGu3z View Post
like the asthetics of the glove and it felt solid but very very thick. i soon noticed there was some undone stitching between the index and middle finger. i returned them to find some broken stitching on the second pair. after this im starting to think that a*'s is manufacturing junk. told the retailer id order them again hoping the third time is the charm. if they come back with shoddy manufacturing, think im goin with a pair of rev'it gloves instead. every piece of a*'s gear ive seen from myself and friends are kinda on the lower side of quality in my opinion. i dont need a pair of track gloves so spending 200+ dollars is out of the question. anyone else have bad experiences with alpinestars? used to favor the brand but im starting to think that its just a logo.
What's the difference between track and street gloves? Think, what's the fastest speed your hands might hit the ground on the street?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

My wife has the SP-8 and hasn't had any problems.

I have the SP-2 and they're a lot better than my old JR gloves, despite the fact that the knuckle armor is at a weird angle and didn't really feel better after break-in (which, of course, I was assured it would). I think the price was appropriate for the value I got.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

I have sp-8 gloves and they work great for me.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #7
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica View Post
There cheaper stuff isn't the best quality
Great quote!

Old April 5th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #8
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
There cheaper stuff isn't the best quality but I haven't heard anything bad about the pricier stuff. I've heard several complaints about the sp8's and for the price you can find a better glove.
This.
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Great quote!
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i just bought a pair of gp plus gloves. they're on par with other ~$200 level gloves. good quality, looks like it should last a few crashes. good feel, though i had to get an XXL when i'm normally a L or M. if you buy a $50 glove, its going to be a $50 glove. maybe spend more money and get a better glove.

Old April 5th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #11
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

I like my SP-1 gloves but they will need replacing soon.
Looking at the Cortech Adrenaline II, A* GP Plus or Knox Handroids.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoD575 View Post
held phantom.

Old April 15th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #13
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

Unhappy

3rd pair had shoddy stitching as well. returned them and went with the blue sp2's. im glad i did too. not entirely broken in but its gna take some getting used too seeing how these are my first all leather gloves. they feel less sensitive than my smx2 short gloves

Old April 16th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #14
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I thought my first leather gloves weren't very responsive either, but after a while you'll get used to the gloves and forget that they are even there!
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
3rd pair had shoddy stitching as well. returned them and went with the blue sp2's. im glad i did too. not entirely broken in but its gna take some getting used too seeing how these are my first all leather gloves. they feel less sensitive than my smx2 short gloves
sp2's... there you go. They will break in like butter.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #16
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
sp2's... there you go. They will break in like butter.

I had a pair of SP2s, one crash and had exposed skin. Luckily the skin never touched the ground. I know of others who were not as lucky.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #17
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
They're good gloves since I paid $40. But, I don't see them lasting long. Mine are losing the graphics, so it makes it look crappy. Stitching is coming out, they don't ventilate well (they're leather, what did I expect) ... but they feel like they'll protect me well. But now they are broken in, and I fear that I bought the wrong size, because they're too big (but that's my fault). The reason I feel like they won't last is because the stitching doesn't seem that great. The only crashing experience I have is when I dropped a bike and my hands hit the ground. They held up...

Old April 16th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #18
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I also bought a dirt chest protector, for what it's actually worth... I'd never pay retail. It's so flimsy. Glad I got it at a steal..

Old April 21st, 2013, 01:55 AM   #19
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

now im looking to upgrade my jacket and buy some boots next. any suggestions? looking at the a*s fastback wp and the dianese crono. dont want a full boot and yes im aware it more protective, but im also going to be commuting to work and school.

Old April 21st, 2013, 02:18 AM   #20
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
What's the difference between track and street gloves? Think, what's the fastest speed your hands might hit the ground on the street?
80 mph on the street as opposed to 150 on track. the differences from a 200+ glove and a 100 glove are the technicalities. wrist adjuster, excess sliders, and slightly beefer protection, but not enough to prevent my hand from shattering if was smacked against a car any how. nothin to me that would justify spending the extra cash if i didnt need to. if i had that mindset i definitely wouldnt be riding a ninjette

Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:05 AM   #21
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Quote:
now im looking to upgrade my jacket and buy some boots next. any suggestions? looking at the a*s fastback wp and the dianese crono. dont want a full boot and yes im aware it more protective, but im also going to be commuting to work and school.
A common misconception is that you can't walk around in a full boot comfortably but most people that think this is because they haven't actually done so. I have the A* smx-5 boots and have worn them for hours on end without discomfort but in the end it's all about what protection you're willing to sacrifice.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:54 AM   #22
MistahT
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 FZ6R, 2006 Ninja 250, 1977 Suzuki GS550

My 2 cents

I'm gonna wear the most protection I can stand on the street. Getting hit by a car is probably worse than low siding at 100mph.

I'm not made of money so I can't afford full race boots and A* and the like, but I've seen you can get 8/10 or 9/10 the protection for half the price or less. I've had 2 pair or Rev'It gloves and they've both been great to me. They were in the $100-150 price range. Only got rid of the first ones cause they were a bit tight, full leather, got stuck in a 2 hour rain storm and they shrunk....
MistahT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:12 AM   #23
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
if you buy a $50 glove, its going to be a $50 glove. maybe spend more money and get a better glove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoD575 View Post
RS Taichi, or Held. Same price, MUCH better protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I also bought a dirt chest protector, for what it's actually worth... I'd never pay retail. It's so flimsy. Glad I got it at a steal..
Sounds moe like your buying ****** gear and justifying it with a lower price. How much is your rib cage worth to you?
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:11 AM   #24
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

i hate when people use that approach in order to scare other riders into buying expensive gear. " how much is your [insert body part here] worth to you?". most of us get that more expensive gear means better protection, but some of us cant afford the best so we settle with what we can afford. honestly if i put a number to each part of my body, riding a motorcycle is definitely a risk, but i accepted those risks once i threw my leg over that machine

Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:11 AM   #25
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

if you can't pay, don't play. Motorcycling isn't a cheap endeavor if you want to protect yourself.

people are going to tell you to buy more expensive gear mostly because they've either seen the effect of crappy gear, or have positive experiences with expensive gear.

You can go buy crappy gear that's going to fall apart from normal wear and tear, let alone a crash, or you could spend money for something that will last.

Next time you justify cheaper gear with lower prices, think about what it would cost to repair YOURSELF if that gear failed. How much does a shattered ankle cost you for the $50 you might have saved on cheaper shoes that might have protected you.

I have had only positive experiences with my $100 Astar gloves...
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:15 PM   #26
caps
Sexy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
if you can't pay, don't play. Motorcycling isn't a cheap endeavor if you want to protect yourself.

people are going to tell you to buy more expensive gear mostly because they've either seen the effect of crappy gear, or have positive experiences with expensive gear.

You can go buy crappy gear that's going to fall apart from normal wear and tear, let alone a crash, or you could spend money for something that will last.

Next time you justify cheaper gear with lower prices, think about what it would cost to repair YOURSELF if that gear failed. How much does a shattered ankle cost you for the $50 you might have saved on cheaper shoes that might have protected you.

I like this guy

Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:16 PM   #27
caps
Sexy Beast

Quote:
i hate when people use that approach in order to scare other riders into buying expensive gear. " how much is your [insert body part here] worth to you?". most of us get that more expensive gear means better protection, but some of us cant afford the best so we settle with what we can afford. honestly if i put a number to each part of my body, riding a motorcycle is definitely a risk, but i accepted those risks once i threw my leg over that machine
It's priorities kid. You can go out and spend $X on a new motorcycle but can't afford good gear? Next your going to buy girls drinks at the bar, but not have enough money to pay for condoms GTFO!

Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:03 PM   #28
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Quote:
http://www.alpinestars.com/moto/foot...l#.UXb2fpGNGi0

These are the boots i have, when broken in they are insanely comfortable. If you do not want a full boot do not waste your money on "motorcycle shoes" that cost as much or like 20$ less than these boots.

I wear these everyday monday - friday to school and tuesdays / thursdays im there from 11 am to 9 pm.

They have also survived 2 crashes and my feet were just fine. If you do not want a full boot just get some cheap tennis shoes cause it wont make a difference
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:43 PM   #29
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
@caps I got it on sale, it's an alpinestars chest protector... so it's supposed to be good. Maybe I expected too much.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:05 PM   #30
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

When I was glove shopping a couple years ago, I found that A*'s gloves generally got really bad reviews in terms of quality and longevity. People needing to replace their gloves every season seemed to be the norm! I bought a pair of Cortech gloves and couldn't be happier.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:13 PM   #31
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
It's priorities kid. You can go out and spend $X on a new motorcycle but can't afford good gear? Next your going to buy girls drinks at the bar, but not have enough money to pay for condoms GTFO!
i have good gear. looking to fill the gaps where my gear wont hold up. i dont drink. you dont know me so dont judge me. all im saying is there is not need to buy full track level gear if i can buy something thats cheaper (not designed for the track) that will hold up just as good. kid? really. while im young and inexperience, ur level is disrespect is quite childish

Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:19 PM   #32
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post

i dont run cheap gear, but at the same time i dont run a 700 arai either. there is a balance point between price and functionality that most people try to find. i dont condone buying bilt anything, but i cant justify spending 800 plus dollars on a helmet when i can buy a 400 shoei that will hold up just as well. im starting to think that people who spend that kind money rationalize why they want to spend the extra couple of bucks to look flashy on their machines. just out of curiosity since im getting flamed up the ass. what gear are you guys wearing that seems to be so premium?

Last futzed with by ADoMinGu3z; April 23rd, 2013 at 10:20 PM.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:59 PM   #33
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I wear a 100$ bell arrow and it's AWESOME!!! Lol

I also have 50$ leather gloves and a 120$ textile jacket... I'm as cheap as they come, luckily tho I've never had to rest my gear...

Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:02 PM   #34
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
I wear a 100$ bell arrow and it's AWESOME!!! Lol

I also have 50$ leather gloves and a 120$ textile jacket... I'm as cheap as they come, luckily tho I've never had to rest my gear...
hey better than nothing. some would say otherwise

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #35
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Quote:
hey better than nothing. some would say otherwise
There aren't many people out there who think if you don't have high end gear then you're not protected. I'm sure almost everyone here loves to save money and you don't have to buy the best everything just buy the best that you can, but everyone knows (or should know) that getting into riding and buying the safety gear isn't cheap.

The issue I saw is that you were saying you didn't want a full boot because you commute, but you don't know if they're comfortable or not you just assume and people here will get on you about getting a full boot because motorcycle "shoes" won't do much of anything, especially if they come off during a slide. Don't take it personally but if you can afford the "shoes" spend a little more for boots and don't look back. In the long run it can save you money and give you the best protection right off the bat.

People are concerned about others safety on here and it's not so much about how much you spend but rather that you get quality gear without wasting money on gear that sucks. And as for not getting gear because it may be considered track oriented, is the street softer and safer than the track..? As I said, don't take everyones input so personally people are just trying to help guide you in the right direction, whether you listen is up to you. If you think you're safe in a $40 glove then ok but most people will disagree but they're not going to necessarily recommend a $300 glove since there are cheaper options that are good and will hold up in a crash and from normal wear and tear. Wouldn't you rather spend a little more money once on something that's a good quality rather than buying something cheaper and potentially learn the hard way during a crash that the gear that was cheaper didn't hold up? People don't just give their suggestions to hear themselves talk it's because from experience and/or hearsay they know that the gear you may be considering is a waste of money.

Old April 24th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #36
caps
Sexy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
@caps I got it on sale, it's an alpinestars chest protector... so it's supposed to be good. Maybe I expected too much.
That is a prime example of what I'm talking about. I don't care if it was free, ****** gear is ****** gear.
Quote:
i have good gear. looking to fill the gaps where my gear wont hold up. i dont drink. you dont know me so dont judge me. all im saying is there is not need to buy full track level gear if i can buy something thats cheaper (not designed for the track) that will hold up just as good. kid? really. while im young and inexperience, ur level is disrespect is quite childish
I don't know you, or how old you are. And I don't care. What I know of you I know by what you have posted in this thread. And to me, that's a kid who can't afford real gear and tries to justify it. I don't care if you spent $100, or $2000. Good gear is good gear. ****** gear is ****** gear. That simple. Kid.
Quote:
i dont run cheap gear, but at the same time i dont run a 700 arai either. there is a balance point between price and functionality that most people try to find. i dont condone buying bilt anything, but i cant justify spending 800 plus dollars on a helmet when i can buy a 400 shoei that will hold up just as well. im starting to think that people who spend that kind money rationalize why they want to spend the extra couple of bucks to look flashy on their machines. just out of curiosity since im getting flamed up the ass. what gear are you guys wearing that seems to be so premium?
I personally wear;
  • Shoei X-12
  • RS Taichi 826 Leather Jacket
  • D30 Back Protector
  • RS Taichi GP-EVO Gauntlets
  • Drayko Jeans or RS Taichi 817 Leather Pants (weather permitting)
  • Gaerne GP1 Race Boots or Sidi Vortice Boots

My wife also wears a similiar level of protection, however she some how thinks her Dianese is better... Women I tell ya!
Quote:
People are concerned about others safety on here and it's not so much about how much you spend but rather that you get quality gear without wasting money on gear that sucks. And as for not getting gear because it may be considered track oriented, is the street softer and safer than the track..?
I'm starting to like you as well...

Old April 24th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #37
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

Quote:
There aren't many people out there who think if you don't have high end gear then you're not protected. I'm sure almost everyone here loves to save money and you don't have to buy the best everything just buy the best that you can, but everyone knows (or should know) that getting into riding and buying the safety gear isn't cheap.

The issue I saw is that you were saying you didn't want a full boot because you commute, but you don't know if they're comfortable or not you just assume and people here will get on you about getting a full boot because motorcycle "shoes" won't do much of anything, especially if they come off during a slide. Don't take it personally but if you can afford the "shoes" spend a little more for boots and don't look back. In the long run it can save you money and give you the best protection right off the bat.

People are concerned about others safety on here and it's not so much about how much you spend but rather that you get quality gear without wasting money on gear that sucks. And as for not getting gear because it may be considered track oriented, is the street softer and safer than the track..? As I said, don't take everyones input so personally people are just trying to help guide you in the right direction, whether you listen is up to you. If you think you're safe in a $40 glove then ok but most people will disagree but they're not going to necessarily recommend a $300 glove since there are cheaper options that are good and will hold up in a crash and from normal wear and tear. Wouldn't you rather spend a little more money once on something that's a good quality rather than buying something cheaper and potentially learn the hard way during a crash that the gear that was cheaper didn't hold up? People don't just give their suggestions to hear themselves talk it's because from experience and/or hearsay they know that the gear you may be considering is a waste of money.
i totally agree with you. im not advocating buying a 40 dollar pair of gloves, hence the reason why i went from the sp-8 to the sp-2. i felt it wouldnt hold up seeing as how the stitchin was falling apart so i upgraded. of course the sp2 would be less quality than the gp level gloves, but people seem to think that others have an unlimited supply of money and that by choice i went with a lower glove expecting the protection of a premium glove. im just saying there is a point in which the gear gets to a level of protection that is designed for the track rather than the street. for example, the x12 that caps is rocking, a 700? dollar helmet whos vent configuration is designed to flow air in the most aggressive riding stance possible. on the other hand the the rf1100. both snell approved, but the design is what differs the price. i do not advocate the purchase of cheap gear, but as a college student money is limited. as far as the boot discussion goes, u are all right about buying a full boot

Old April 24th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #38
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
You realize that $400 shoei is a track helmet right? You'll probably need to return that.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #39
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
You realize that $400 shoei is a track helmet right? You'll probably need to return that.
yes thank you jiggles, you've just validated my argument in one sentence. thank you and now im done with this thread

Old April 24th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #40
caps
Sexy Beast

Quote:
i totally agree with you. im not advocating buying a 40 dollar pair of gloves, hence the reason why i went from the sp-8 to the sp-2. i felt it wouldnt hold up seeing as how the stitchin was falling apart so i upgraded. of course the sp2 would be less quality than the gp level gloves, but people seem to think that others have an unlimited supply of money and that by choice i went with a lower glove expecting the protection of a premium glove. im just saying there is a point in which the gear gets to a level of protection that is designed for the track rather than the street. for example, the x12 that caps is rocking, a 700? dollar helmet whos vent configuration is designed to flow air in the most aggressive riding stance possible. on the other hand the the rf1100. both snell approved, but the design is what differs the price. i do not advocate the purchase of cheap gear, but as a college student money is limited. as far as the boot discussion goes, u are all right about buying a full boot
It's not my fault you're poor kid, that falls on YOUR shoulders. And that's not even a real excuse. You can buy a brand new bike but not gear? Why not buy an 08 or 09 250 and be able to protect yourself?

And just FYI an RF1100 IS a track helmet, a pretty nice one actually. I just prefer Emergency Personel being able to pull my helmet off without causing more trauma to my head, apparently that isn't a problem for you