ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old December 29th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #1
shereth
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

First time track advice

So I'm trying to psych myself up to register for a track day in the next month or two. My primary motivation is for the learning experience; I want to be able to explore and potentially overcome my own limits in a safe and conducive environment. I'm a rather conservative rider on the road and feel like I'm not going to learn much more than the basics. Much as I enjoy a ride up into the mountains and the twisties there, I constantly have this voice in the back of my head reminding me it's not a place to "try something new".

Anyway. I've done a fair bit of reading and watching videos that are geared toward preparing one for their first day at the track. I have looked into the gear requirements as well as prepping the bike, what the trackday org requires, and so on. That's not really what I'm looking for here.

What I am curious about is what one piece of advice you, as someone who has some trackdays under their belt, would offer to a newbie. What is the one thing that you wish you had known or done prior to your own first time? Perhaps you'd heard it before but didn't internalize it, or maybe you never learned until later. Those little nuggets of wisdom that would have been great to know before rather than after. That kind of thing
shereth is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old December 29th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
First time RULE #1: DO NOT GO ALONE! Best case is to take an experienced rider/friend, next would be to take someone who supports you. And if you can, take a kid, as they are the next generation(s) of riders to keep the sport alive. If you must go alone, make it a top priority to make a friend in the paddock. You will meet some of the coolest and friendliest people in the paddock.

Biggest mistake I made my first time: Trying to ride too hard and killing some of the fun. Remember to have fun and relax.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ignore your speed and have fun. The first day is about learning how it feels to be there how it feels to ride without the back of your mind nagging about road conditions and traffic and animals/children running out in front of you.

So my advice is to forget about speed or pace or braking late or drive out of corners or anything like that. Just make sure you have fun in the most pure riding you'll ever enjoy.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #4
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Subscribed! I plan on a track day school for 2015 as well. And my reasons are almost identical to yours. I'm a pretty conservative rider on the road. And I don't go crazy on twisty roads. But like you, I do want to gain experience/skills in a controlled environment where I can transfer to the streets to be a smarter and safer all around rider.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2014, 12:00 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Subscribed! I plan on a track day school for 2015 as well. And my reasons are almost identical to yours. I'm a pretty conservative rider on the road. And I don't go crazy on twisty roads. But like you, I do want to gain experience/skills in a controlled environment where I can transfer to the streets to be a smarter and safer all around rider.
Hellz yea guys! For all the right reasons.

Old December 29th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
First time RULE #1: DO NOT GO ALONE! Best case is to take an experienced rider/friend, next would be to take someone who supports you. And if you can, take a kid, as they are the next generation(s) of riders to keep the sport alive. If you must go alone, make it a top priority to make a friend in the paddock. You will meet some of the coolest and friendliest people in the paddock.

Biggest mistake I made my first time: Trying to ride too hard and killing some of the fun. Remember to have fun and relax.
Absolutely true.

In the event that you have an event, and get an ambulance ride to the hospital - you are stuck there - it's not a round-trip ticket.

If you are stuck there, all of your stuff is scattered around your pit - and the track may close by the time you've been released.

Unless you have a friend to pack-up your stuff and pick you up, you will have some additional complications to deal with. And if your transport vehicle is a stick, and your arm is in a sling, you will have a real hard time driving yourself home.

Ask me how I know...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
And if your transport vehicle is a stick, and your arm is in a sling, you will have a real hard time driving yourself home.
^^^ friends mang for sure....

My first time at the track, I hauled alone but was meeting friends there. Along the trip to the track I got lost and my brakes went out. I hauled the last 20 miles to the track with nothing but the ebrake on a Dodge Durango with a 18ft, double axle car trailer in tow. It was nerve wracking, and between the haul, being 1h late, missing the riders meeting and getting ready to ride track the first time, I was a mental mess. My friends were able to put my mind at ease.

And.... While I was riding, my friends fixed my brakes for me. I still don't even know what do say bout that.....

Old December 29th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #8
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Have fun and socialize.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2014, 12:50 PM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
^^^ friends mang for sure....

My first time at the track, I hauled alone but was meeting friends there. Along the trip to the track I got lost and my brakes went out. I hauled the last 20 miles to the track with nothing but the ebrake on a Dodge Durango with a 18ft, double axle car trailer in tow. It was nerve wracking, and between the haul, being 1h late, missing the riders meeting and getting ready to ride track the first time, I was a mental mess. My friends were able to put my mind at ease.

And.... While I was riding, my friends fixed my brakes for me. I still don't even know what do say bout that.....
That would be a bit too much excitement and stress before your first time on the track.

Thank goodness for good friends to pull you through (and fix your brakes)!
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #10
GregS
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, GSXR-750, Ducati M1100

First track day

Start off slow and learn the lines and then build speed throughout the day.
Remember to let your tires warm up!
Don't forget to bring the key for your bike, I've seen more than one person do this.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #11
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Watch/read twist of the wrist 2.

You will become addicted. Going to the track is the best decision I made after buying the ninjette. I absolutely love it. Go slow and enjoy, listen to the cr's and trust your gut. If you feel really nervous sit one out and watch.

Old December 29th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #12
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
If you have the money go to a school first. Then use what you learned at the school to better yourself at each trackday you go to.

Old December 29th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #13
GregS
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, GSXR-750, Ducati M1100

Not sure what time of year you are planning on going, but make sure you are hydrated! Drink as much water as you can the night before, and then make sure you drink more water after each session! If you get dehydrated you'll start making mistakes!
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2014, 05:55 AM   #14
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Go slow. Learn good lines first, then worry about body position.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2014, 06:17 AM   #15
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
pin it to win it

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #16
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
find a track lay out of the map and look at it in the days coming to the event, watch videos of that track.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #17
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Go that way really fast, something gets in your way, turn!!!

J/K

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2014, 01:21 PM   #18
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Be a student of all things. Even if you think you know, listen and pay attention.

I've been riding 28+ years. I approached my first track day last year with the mindset of a beginner. I learned a lot because of that, because I didn't let my ego become an obstacle.

Don't let your nerves or your adrenaline get in the way. Focus on learning. So.... ride slow enough not to get scared, but fast enough to learn. Riding the correct line doesn't feel right at street speeds... it doesn't make sense because you can follow a completely wrong line and it'll feel the same. You have to be going fast enough for the bike to react. Given your conservative nature, you might find this happening to you.

I've only done three track days but I saw a lot of people riding so slow that they weren't learning much. I've also seen people riding so fast that they, too, weren't learning. (One guy who was really quick didn't understand a thing about moving his body off the bike... he was dragging hard parts, and I think he might have crashed at some point.)

Ride your own ride. The guy in front of you might be doing it wrong.

It's not a race. Red mist has no place at a track day. If someone's being a jerk, let 'em go.

If something feels wrong, pit. It might just be you, but if you're distracted or freaked out you're an accident waiting to happen.

Hydrate.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #19
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Hey! Crashing doesn't mean you're not learning! It means you're learning faster than everyone else!!! :P

(For a really short period of time)
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #20
Hellmutt
Vanilla Gorilla

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '11 Triumph Sprint GT & '06 625SMC

A lot of valid riding advice here. Supplies are important as well, and I'm probably a bit more OCD than others about what all to take along to a track day. Always best to overpack, than need something and not have it. Here's a short list of what I always bring...

TOOLS ( if you think you may need it, may as well toss it in the toolbox to tote along )
EAZY-UP CANOPY or some sort of shade offering device. ( Leathers are hot, so a shady rest is recommended. )
AIR GAUGE ( Tire pressure needs checked before and between sessions, heat will inflate them a bit. )
AIR PUMP ( bicycle pump, or small compressor if you have a power source - in case you need more tire pressure )
SPARE FUEL ( even though those ninjettes aren't very thirsty, best to have some anyway )
COMFY CHAIRS ( You'll want to sit and rest between some sessions and reset your mind/body )
COOLER FULL OF ICE/WATER/GATORAID/POWERAID ( Leave the soda at home.....you need to hydrate, not caffeinate )
SNACKS ( Granola/jerky/something light but packed with protein and little sugar to replenish your system throughout the day )
TOWELS ( You WILL sweat, so wetting a towel from the cooler ice is refreshing! )
AN OPEN MIND ( Like these fine folks have said, be a sponge, and be aware of your track position/lines )

Just ride your pace, be careful, and always ride forward - nothing behind you is of any concern.
Congrats on deciding to advance your skillset, and readily welcome this new soon-to-be-an-addiction with open arms.
You'll learn more at one track day than after one year on the street.
Hellmutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2014, 05:41 AM   #21
adouglas
Cat herder

Agree with hellmutt...

One thing I've found useful is to make a checklist well in advance. Think it all through. It's too easy to forget stuff. Just ask @csmith12

PM me if you'd like a copy. Obvious caveat is that it's tuned for my needs, but it'll give you an idea.

One thing I've found to be incredibly useful is a storage box that can double as a low seat or footstool. Great for messing with the bike, checking pressures/fasteners, etc. Also useful for reaching high things if you're short like me.

Similar to this:

Old December 31st, 2014, 06:09 AM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
One thing I've found useful is to make a checklist well in advance. Think it all through. It's too easy to forget stuff. Just ask @csmith12

Old December 31st, 2014, 06:57 AM   #23
adouglas
Cat herder

It's only because I killed my short-term memory years ago.

Who are you again?

What is this place?

Old December 31st, 2014, 07:46 AM   #24
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:

I like it! Do they come with wheels?

Old December 31st, 2014, 08:53 AM   #25
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I like it! Do they come with wheels?
yep, you can get it em with wheels too.

Mr. Fist is right, I always forget something. I always break something too.

Old December 31st, 2014, 12:54 PM   #26
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
have fun

follow the rules

Old December 31st, 2014, 01:19 PM   #27
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
It's only because I killed my short-term memory years ago.

Who are you again?

What is this place?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_209083320826136.jpeg (53.4 KB, 0 views)

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote