ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 13th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #161
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
What part of bama are you from Peter? Its supposed to be pretty warm tomorrow, and the rest of this week. I went for a ride this afternoon, it was just about freezing, and I was good about the first 15mi, then it turned to me really really wanting to teleport back home.

I almost hit a dog too, I don't know what it was doing, there were no houses near where I was at. I was cresting a hill in the middle of a turn, and the dog was standing sideways right in my lane, and there was oncoming cars preventing me from going into the other lane. I braked hard, but I was still going to fast to stop in time, but I squeezed in between the dog and the edge of the shoulderless road. As soon as I got beside it it finally realized I was there, and I heard the bark of a frightened dog.
I am in Lee County, which is the Auburn-Opelika area.

The weather was even nicer today. Up to 50f. Tomorrow should be even better, and I can ride in the afternoon

Please be careful about letting sight distance get less than stopping distance.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #162
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

^I've never been down in South Alabama, despite living here most of my life. Any good roads down there? You should get out and ride while this nice weather last, its supposed to rain toward the end of the week.

Old January 14th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #163
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Cold here, roads are dry, but my driveway is ice and packed snow. Parked a car in the driveway (barely sloped) and watched the car slide a couple feet. I WANNA RIDE!
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #164
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Cold here, roads are dry, but my driveway is ice and packed snow. Parked a car in the driveway (barely sloped) and watched the car slide a couple feet. I WANNA RIDE!
I think for you there is ice-racing. They use studded tires and can lean their bikes as if on dry pavement.
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #165
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
Just wondering about the S.Q. (sexiness quotient) of the Ninjette and the Ninjette rider in the eyes of the average female teenager. Is your son swarmed by girls? If so, how does he handle them?
Both of my sons seem to do very well with the ladies. I'm not sure if its the bikes, sports, or their good looks. I never did that well when I was a teenager, but then I went to a Military School for high school and there were no girls.

Old January 14th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #166
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
I think for you there is ice-racing. They use studded tires and can lean their bikes as if on dry pavement.
I don't remember having snow last this long since I was a kid - when the snow used to last forever. Kind of like when Brian Adams sings how the summer used to last forever.

Old January 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #167
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Both of my sons seem to do very well with the ladies. I'm not sure if its the bikes, sports, or their good looks. I never did that well when I was a teenager, but then I went to a Military School for high school and there were no girls.
Glad your lads are doing their dad proud. My use of "lad" should tip you off to the Irish-Jesuit-run Roman Catholic secondary school I attended in Kowloon, Hong Kong. Yep, a boy's school, and no bike. Truly a learning experience, but not quite how the system had intended it, nor the way I had pre-envisioned it.

Old January 15th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #168
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
^I've never been down in South Alabama, despite living here most of my life. Any good roads down there? You should get out and ride while this nice weather last, its supposed to rain toward the end of the week.

Amazing afternoon ride today. Winter outer wear with layers; I was almost too warm.

Home => Opelika => Cusseta => La Fayette => Camp Hill => Dadeville => Reeltown (not on Google maps, corner of SR 49 and 14) => Notasulga => Home

I would not call Lee Cnty "south AL". It is east central.

Lee is pretty flat. Not Florida flat though. South it gets flatter, North gets less so. An afternoon ride gets you a county or two north, into Chambers and Talapoosa. Some nice rolling hill country. Lots of turns and elevation changes on most every road. Just need to find ones with nice pavement, few driveways, and not a truck route. There are plenty.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #169
backinthesaddleagain

45 degrees in Rhode Island and 45 miles ridden today.

Old January 16th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #170
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

I got out this morning for the first time in about 4 weeks. Temps where between 4c and 9c, roads only slightly damp. Still a lot of junk on the roads from the recent snow (mix of salt/grit/ash and anything else you can think to put on snow).

Bike started first time, even though it was out cold, covered in snow, sub zero temps, battered by the wind (my cover is torn to shreds, 4 big holes it it from the wind) i actually started it the night before when it was 2C and it went straight to 2,200rpm (magic of fuel injection) and when it was warmed up about 5 mins later ran at a smooth idle of 1,200rpm.

Drove it a bit and instantly decided the front tire needed a bit more pressure, after that it was a really nice ride, just around the local area, roads I knew the condition of after the poor weather. I think that's the worst of it, so I got through without winterizing the bike. Usually we get a day or two of snow in February but I don't think that will be an issue.

Old January 16th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #171
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Glad your lads are doing their dad proud. My use of "lad" should tip you off to the Irish-Jesuit-run Roman Catholic secondary school I attended in Kowloon, Hong Kong. Yep, a boy's school, and no bike. Truly a learning experience, but not quite how the system had intended it, nor the way I had pre-envisioned it.
Anthony, Missed your tidbit on the RC Jesuit school in Kowloon. Went to Kowloon in 1969 for R&R from Southeast Asia War Games. Loved it! Bought an Omega Chronometer which I have to this day. My experience with Jesuits was not too positive. Since my father was educated by the Jesuits, he INSISTED that I have to be educated by them as well. I could not deliberately flunk out because that would be academic suicide--had an A- average. I did manage to get myself expelled by riding a wretched, noisy, Harley into the administration building. That was in 1960 and the H-D was borrowed---my NSU 250 was super quiet. Didn`t have a cage till 1966. I was happy to get out of there and ended up taking the harder route of working my way through college at a secular institution. I was much happier. At that time the regimentation got to me. I did fine as an Army Ranger--there is a vast difference between discipline and regimentation.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #172
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I did manage to get myself expelled by riding a wretched, noisy, Harley into the administration building. That was in 1960
LMAO That's one way to go out with a blast.

Old January 16th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #173
captlombardi
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): '09 EX250J, '01 CBR600F4i

IIRC buell wasn't around back then.

ba-dum-crash! lol...
captlombardi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #174
min nin
ninjette.org member

Name: terry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

75miles today

today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-16-10 Ride.jpg (145.0 KB, 7 views)
min nin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #175
Sailariel

Very nice red Ninja! Glad it has warmed up for you all. Been to Captiva with our boat. It is a very nice cruising area. We have pretty much sailed all of the Florida coast. We made the trip from Maine to Florida, Bahamas, etc. 10 times.

Old January 17th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #176
backinthesaddleagain

glad i rode saturday, snow in the forecast monday

Old January 18th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #177
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Woke up a few times last night due to whistling winds, but it cleared the clouds. Over the last 4 days, 3 were sunny and clear, 40ish. Rode all 3 days. Very glad we west-coasters don't have to pickle our bikes.

Something a bit strange I've noticed is that after a couple of weeks of no riding, when I come back on, I FEEL more at one with the bike than when I was riding at will in the summer. It did not diminish my skill, but it heightened the emotion - could this be it? But I do seem to ride better and more spiritedly than if it's become routine.

Old January 18th, 2010, 11:53 PM   #178
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

This week was supposed to be great weather almost all week but of course I drop my bike the first day off I have this week.
high 60s, low 70s. I could never live up in them snowy northern regions.

Old January 20th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #179
ojameyo
MMMJami

Name: Jamey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I am still riding. It had been like a mo, but I got back on it. Took it for a ride into down and back. Popped on the freeway... It felt so good to ride, I can't wait until it warms up and this rain stops.
ojameyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #180
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Race), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 (Track), 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Street)

rode for the first time today in like 2 or 3 weeks. Its been kinda rainy and cold here lately and i haven't wanted to go out in that. Just took my cage everywhere. Felt good, and i hope the weather keeps up so i can continue to ride my ninjette to work and to work out.
MKlein3004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:34 PM   #181
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I'm riding tomorrow, for the day. Maybe 300 miles if anyone wants to join me.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:41 PM   #182
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

The weather has been sucky here.

Seems that every morning there is snow/ice on the road in front of my hacienda. By 10 am the sun is out for the rest of the day and I am wanting to ride. Go figure. I just wish it would snow all day and get it over with.

Jeff.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:21 PM   #183
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Glorious sunshine right now, 7C/44F.

The days are getting longer by easily 15 minutes each day. Going riding a bit later.

Motorcycle show in Abbotsford on right now, inland maybe 1.3 hours of riding/driving. Tomorrow supposed to be wet, but the show is indoors.

Sunday supposedly dry. I hope Jenn has brought her bike. As I said, come ride in Vancouver; you won't be disappointed (if you clould pin down these glorious sunny days)!

Old January 24th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #184
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I rode for 5 hours yesterday. It was a nice day here. There were hundreds of bikes out (I only waved to 3 other bikers). It got cold near the water in Jax but only from the fog. I should have headed south or west but I wanted to go to Georgia for some of those roads.

There was a ride today with the local bunch but I don't want to tmiss the NO game.

No riding next weekend (24 hours of Daytona, rather Rolex 24). The week ahead looks good though. Anyone want to ride call me on the batphone.

Old January 24th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #185
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Yesterday wasn't too bad a day here - but a bit cool, so I went out riding for about 45 mins. Today is cloudy, +6c, and a cold wind blowing from the northeast, so I doubt I will go out riding today...

Old January 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #186
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Jenn (JCGirl) took a ferry over from Victoria to Vancouver on Friday to attend the Motorcycle Show in Abbotsford on Saturday. This morning (Sunday), I led her for a ride from south Vancouver through SW Marine Drive to the UBC, Spanish Banks, Kitsilano, English Bay, Stanley Park, and back to catch the 1 pm ferry back from Tsawassen to Victoria. The weather, though dry and 45F, wasn't as sunny as expected, so I saved the North Shore and the Sea-to-Sky Hwy for next time. A good 2 hour ride, and great to have a coffee with Jenn.

Spanish Banks:

Stanley Park:

Last futzed with by Anthony_marr; January 25th, 2010 at 09:02 PM.

Old January 24th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #187
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #188
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Also led Jenn to Southlands, an equestrian community right on the edge of urban Vancouver, rode past some horses, then hit a patch of gravel on a left turn and almost wiped out (Jenn saw it all).

Old January 24th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #189
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Oh, and we even rode each other's bikes! First time I've ridden a New Gen. Like it a lot. The gear shift is smoother. Power is similar, but I bet my blue ZZR can marginally out-drag it, if the reviews are anything to go by - says New-Gen 0-60 in 7.3 sec, Pre-Gen ZZR in 5.7 sec. I think it is due to a slightly different sprocket configuration to adjust to the slightly different body weight, and if so, then I would credit the New-Gen with a slightly higher top-speed.

Last futzed with by Anthony_marr; January 24th, 2010 at 05:33 PM.

Old January 24th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #190
backinthesaddleagain

about 39 degrees saturday, changed a headlight bulb, and rode about 30 some odd miles.

Old January 24th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #191
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jenn

Motorcycle(s): Bot

Quote:
Oh, an we even rode each other's bikes! First time I've ridden a New Gen. Like it a lot. The gear shift is smoother. Power is similar, but I bet my blue ZZR can marginally out-drag it, if the reviews are anything to go by - says New-Gen 0-60 in 7.3 sec, Pre-Gen ZZR in 5.7 sec. I think it is due to a slightly different sprocket configuration to adjust to the slightly different body weight, and if so, then I would credit the New-Gen with a slightly higher top-speed.
Thanks for the tour Anthony!! I had a great time. Hopefully next time we'll have more time for sight seeing. I love that pic of us with the Olympic rings in the backround!!! And sorry, but I liked my bike better
jcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #192
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgirl View Post
And sorry, but I liked my bike better
Great! Then we won't be fighting over who is gonna ride which bike next time.

Old January 25th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #193
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
What are those 5 big whoops in the one picture?

Old January 25th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #194
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Ahhhh.

Finally got a break in the weather and took her out for a 1/2 hour spin. 35 degrees out. Felt good. Cleaned the chain after my ride.

Jeff
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #195
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
What are those 5 big whoops in the one picture?
CCC, Knowing you, you probably know the answer better than I do, but for those who don't, Vancouver/Richmond/Whistler is the venue for the 2010 Winter Olympics - Feb. 12-28. The barge is one of the platforms from which world-class firework displays will be launched.

Old January 25th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #196
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I didn't know but I'm glad you did. I've watched the Olympics my whole life (even had a friend particpate a few winters ago and a local kid last summer Olympics) but I've never been to one in person.

Old January 26th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #197
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

3 more pics of Jenn (jcgirl) with her black 09, and my blue 05 ZZR, in Vancouver, Jan. 24, 2010:

Spanish Banks:

Stanley Park:

Old January 27th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #198
Sailariel

Anthony, I like the ZZR better than the New-Gen. I think that the styling is more classic--I am one those old guys who cut their teeth on cafe racers. The ZZR strikes that chord. It is a beautiful bike, and if I had one, I would cherish it. In my view, it is the best design Kawasaki has produced to date. The New Gen is fine--and I have no regrets, but the ZZR is a class bike. It got up to almost 50F today and I managed to get a ride in. Sure felt good.

Old January 27th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #199
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

I have a 50/50 rule. 50 degrees or above, and 50% or less chance of rain. So far, I've been able to ride at least once every few weeks or so. Here in the MidAtlantic area of Virginia (Norfolk), we get some pretty strange weather based around rain, and the odd 60 degree day in the middle of winter. The cool thing is, you can easily ride though November without winter gear, and start up again by early March. If you have winter weather gear (I do, gotta love ebay!!), the only limiting factor is ice.

Old January 29th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #200
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I just rode! Snow and all, as I didn't want the hubby riding with the gravel all over the road, and I know we won't get out for several more weeks, and she needed to be run... Nevermind that I'm 18.5 weeks pregnant and can't fit in my gear really, some things are just important!