ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 7th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Question To buy a new helmet or not? That is the question! (quick replies please!)

Ok guys, here's yet another newb question, but this one's a little more on the safety side. About 20 minutes ago, just after I got off work and was putting on my gear to head home, I noticed that the button on the end of the longer side of the chin strap was missing! The buckle still works fine, so my question is this: is that button necessary for safety, or is the buckle good enough? Also, what exactly constitutes "shell compromise"? I've got a couple spots on my helmet that have the top layer (paint etc) scratched all the way off. Does that count? Oh, and for those of you that are imagination deficient, I got pics of all the places I'm asking about. Thanks for the help. I'd sorta like to have some quick replies, as I need my bike tomorrow, so I'll know to go get my new helmet ASAP (aka during lunch period @ school). I'd already been planning on getting a new helmet and even know what I'm going to get, just need to know how soon to get it. The left side clip holding my visor on has been releasing the visor alltogether when I try to open it. I think the springs in it that make it easy detachment aren't as springy as when I got them. I got pics of the basic idea of what happens here too. All help appreciated!

The strap pics:

DSCF0075.jpgDSCF0076.jpg

Where it should connect to the other strap:
DSCF0081.jpg

The possible compromise pic:

DSCF0082.jpg

The visor pics:

DSCF0083.jpgDSCF0084.jpg

Old April 7th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Looks to me like it's on its last legs, but it's not a safety issue. That button only keeps the loose end of the strap from whipping around in the wind, it has nothing to do with keeping the helmet securely on your head.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Verus Cidere

Ok.... So that means I don't really NEED to get a new helmet tomorrow, but in the near future?

Old April 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

That's my take on it, but it's certainly up to you. Way I figure it, here's what would make a new helmet a requirement:

- helmet hit the ground with your head in it
- helmet strap torn / insecure
- outside shell cracked/damaged. Small scrapes don't count; those are cosmetic.
- helmet older than 5 years

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Verus Cidere

Ok thanks! I wasn't sure and I'm kinda supposed to buy a laptop from a friend of mine soon! I've almost got enough, but this would've set me back a bit as safety definitely comes first. The new helmet will come once I get the money after the laptop (probably in the next couple of weeks). Thanks again!

Old April 8th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #6
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

If the helmet's still under warranty you can usually send it back and the manufacturer will replace that button at no charge, except for shipping. If not warrantied, most manufacturers will still replace it for a nominal fee. Since the helmet's scratched, however, you'd just be wasting your money since you should probably get a new one soon. A zip tie or rubber band will work as good in the meantime. You should be wary of any damage that exposes anything under the finish. Better safe than sorry.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #7
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

If you were to buy a helmet, what helmet are you getting?

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #8
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
From looking at the pictures I would have to say yes.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #9
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I agree with Alex. The button is just to keep the strap in place.

Old April 8th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #10
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 205 Black

Just be careful with that visor. That is the worst visor attachment contraption known to man and once it starts doing that when you open it, it's possible for it to do it closed. Not super likely, but possible.
devinjc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #11
thebulbousone
ninjette.org member

Name: mason

easy cheap fix... go to a fabric store... jo-ann fabrics or a michaels crafts(what we have in ohio... go to the sewing counter and ask the nice lady where replacement snaps are and if she sold them to you would she help you "install" a new one. they're very helpful and ive had snaps blow off of jackets. the new snaps will eventually wear out but they have snap kits with the snaps and the tools in them... works great... easy to do if you dont want to take your helmet into a fabric store and good to have on hand... good luck
thebulbousone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #12
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

The buckle's what does the job of keeping the helmet on. The button just keeps the strap from flapping around.

The shell looks OK, as long as that's just a small scrape, not a gouge.

I wore out the visor clip on my old HJC helmet and I bought a new clip at New Enough for $10-15 bucks. A small price to pay for adding reliability, and that might buy you some more time before you need to buy a new helmet.

How old is your helmet? There should be a sticker inside that shows the month and year of manufacture.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #13
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

So, just how long is a brand new helmet good for?
If you haven't dropped them.

Old April 8th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #14
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
That's my take on it, but it's certainly up to you. Way I figure it, here's what would make a new helmet a requirement:

- helmet hit the ground with your head in it
- helmet strap torn / insecure
- outside shell cracked/damaged. Small scrapes don't count; those are cosmetic.
- helmet older than 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimesido View Post
So, just how long is a brand new helmet good for?
If you haven't dropped them.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #15
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

way to read woo!
got two more years.

Old April 9th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #16
Verus Cidere

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulbousone View Post
easy cheap fix... go to a fabric store... jo-ann fabrics or a michaels crafts(what we have in ohio... go to the sewing counter and ask the nice lady where replacement snaps are and if she sold them to you would she help you "install" a new one. they're very helpful and ive had snaps blow off of jackets. the new snaps will eventually wear out but they have snap kits with the snaps and the tools in them... works great... easy to do if you dont want to take your helmet into a fabric store and good to have on hand... good luck
I thought about that one. But, as I've been planning to get a new helmet, I figure I'll just tuck the extra strap space in the helmet or in between the strap and my neck until I do. I still might get it fixed like this, but only as a secondary helmet for passengers (provided it fits correctly of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
The buckle's what does the job of keeping the helmet on. The button just keeps the strap from flapping around.

The shell looks OK, as long as that's just a small scrape, not a gouge.

I wore out the visor clip on my old HJC helmet and I bought a new clip at New Enough for $10-15 bucks. A small price to pay for adding reliability, and that might buy you some more time before you need to buy a new helmet.

How old is your helmet? There should be a sticker inside that shows the month and year of manufacture.
I can't find any sticker like that in my helmet. All I can find is the "warning, always strap correctly/don't drink and ride" tag in the back and the "M" for the medium size. I bought it around the same time that I bought my bike/started riding (around 7 or 8 months ago) straight out of a Yamaha dealership, if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miks View Post
If you were to buy a helmet, what helmet are you getting?
I think I'm probably gonna get a Fulmer SS. It's DOT/SNELL, has a much better clip system, and has a chin guard, which I've been wanting since I realized how cold it gets riding in the winter without one!! Also, it's airframe, which, I'm told, is really helpful! Here's a pic of the helmet, color and all, that I'm looking at. It's about $170 at the dealership where I first saw it. I'm sure you guys probably know where to get it for cheaper that that though...

Helmet 1.jpg

Old April 9th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #17
kkim

while your looking, consider a Scorpion brand helmet. I have the exo-700 and am quite pleased at the quality and workmanship for a helmet in that price range.

not quite as good as the shoei rf-1000 I also have, but close.

Old April 9th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #18
Verus Cidere

I might look into Scorpion a little bit. The big thing I have to work with is my price range. From a discussion on another thread we had, I know to be sure that it's DOT/SNELL approved, and it'll be good enough. The rest is just features of the helmet, but for safety (which is my number 1 concern) just go for the approval ratings. If I weren't a highschool student running on a somewhat limited (nights only and not all of those during the week) part-time income, I'd definitely get a Shoei! More specifically the blue Strife helmet, because I like dragons, I like lightning, and it matches with Fury. I don't know for sure how much Scorpion costs though. Need to do some research!

Old April 9th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #19
Verus Cidere

From what I can find online, I probably won't be able to find even the most basic scorpion full face (which I stand for adamantly) is around $160 + shipping. Apparently, Fulmer doesn't allow online purchases. Just what I can find. Anybody have any good links to good prices for Scorpion helmets? Also, what do you think of the venthilation in the Scorpion? To those who've had Fulmer helmets, same question. Thanks!

Old April 9th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #20
kkim

http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eye...ypes/scorpion/

Old April 9th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #21
Verus Cidere

That's a little better, for the solid color ones at least. Now then.... Kelly, about those vents.....

Old April 9th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #22
kkim

what can I say... they work.. they open and shut.

review on the exo-400 here...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...rpion/exo-400/

and more helmet reviews...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Old April 9th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #23
Verus Cidere

Hmmm..... So then from the way you say that I can conclude that the HJC CS-R1 has no vent ability whatsoever. I've changed from open to shut both in regular traffic and on the highway and never noticed a change at all. Looking forward to a better helmet already. Thanks for the reviews/info Kim!

Old April 9th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #24
kkim

gl... now's the time to do your homework and read all the reviews you can to select the helmet that's right for you.

Old April 9th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #25
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

and, try to try them on first before buying one online.

Old April 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #26
Jiu Jitsu Player
Live 2 Ride Forced 2 Work

Motorcycle(s): 2008 RED 250r

Scorpions are awesome. As usual Kkim speaks the truth. I have a 700 and it gets super hot here all the time but the vent system is awesome. Not to mention the helmet hair you get from them is pretty styling. I always have chicks asking me if I get my hair done and where and I just tell them my hair is by Scorpion.

www.7milesdown.com
Jiu Jitsu Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #27
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Man, I tried on some Fulmer helmets today at a place where my buddy works at.
It's as comfortable as my Shoei if not MORE!
I made a comment about my cheek area being tight and my buddy said it will break in.

The one I've tried on had the top of the cushion "floating", not pressed against the top so it didn't matter what shape head you had.
And it's cheaper than mine...
Just a random thought.

Old April 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #28
Verus Cidere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimesido View Post
and, try to try them on first before buying one online.
That's the biggest problem I have with Scorpion. They may be an amazing brand, but if I get the wrong size it's somewhat pointless, and nobody around here sells them, so I can't go size them up! The sizes change a lot between brands too! A medium HJC is about right for me (maybe a little on the loose side) whereas the large Fulmer still feels tight on my head! Maybe it's the "break in" thing you were talking about with the pads. I dunno!

Yes, I do plan on doing as much homework on this as I can before I actually get another helmet. I'm also considering dealing with this one until I can spring enough for a Shoei. Most comfortable helmet I've ever worn!

Old April 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #29
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

If I had to buy a helmet today, I'd buy the Fulmer.
The SS is both snell and dot approved.
Two of my buddies wear them and they like them.

I think I'll save my money for a nice leather jacket next time around.

Old April 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #30
lilninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki ninja 250

To find the sticker that shows the month and year of your helmet, try removing your foam padding in helmet ( if foam is removable). I found my sticker once i moved foam out of the way.

Old April 24th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #31
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

I have that same Fulmer helmet. It's the one my dog is wearing in my avatar.. I prefer my Shoei still though.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #32
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
From what I can find online, I probably won't be able to find even the most basic scorpion full face (which I stand for adamantly) is around $160 + shipping. Apparently, Fulmer doesn't allow online purchases. Just what I can find. Anybody have any good links to good prices for Scorpion helmets? Also, what do you think of the venthilation in the Scorpion? To those who've had Fulmer helmets, same question. Thanks!
great prices here too: http://sportbiketrackgear2.homestead...00helmets.html

+1 for the scorpion exo-700. Though that fullmer looks sweet with the blue iridium
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #33
Verus Cidere

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and get the Fulmer one in about 2 weeks.

Edit -- Definitely getting the Fulmer ASAP, as I accidentally dropped my helmet this morning and have been told by far too many people, MSF instructors included, that it's unsafe to keep using a helmet that's been dropped.

Last futzed with by Verus Cidere; April 25th, 2009 at 09:04 PM.
Verus Cidere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #34
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Here's a good video from Jay Leno on helmets and the arai guy reinforces that (for arai atleast) that a dropped helmet is still functional/safe.

http://superbikeplanet.com/2008/Oct/091016arai.htm

Link to original page on YouTube.

Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #35
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

It is recommended as 5 years shelf life, 2-3 years of road use. Both Shoei and Arai have shown how your sweat can cause the foam to weaken over time compromising its ability to absorb and spread impact away from your noggin.

Having said that, I just can't seem to get beyond 2 years with a helmet before I start feeling like it has gotten too loose.
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #36
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
Here's a good video from Jay Leno on helmets
http://superbikeplanet.com/2008/Oct/091016arai.htm
I just watched this video. I`ve been riding street bikes for 17 years, yet I learned a couple of new things about helmets. I found this very watchable and highly recommend taking the 10 minutes to watch it.

Old April 27th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #37
Verus Cidere

That's a pretty good video. 1 quick question: Does the fact that it's ok after only dropping it apply to a lesser quality helmet? Mine is a basic HJC, and all he said was "in the case of Arai". Would an HJC be ok too?

Old April 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #38
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

good info

Old April 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #39
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I'm glad it was such a quick decision from a month's worth of quick replies.

Old April 27th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #40
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Give the kid some time. I'ts a big decision and a lot of money for him.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote