ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old August 31st, 2013, 04:43 PM   #1
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Race license

Just curious what does it take to get a race license?
I know there are different ones like WERA, CCS, AMA.
Are there benefits? Or are track days more reasonable.
I am not looking at getting one now just curious.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2013, 06:58 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
The benefit is being able to race. Everything else is secondary.

Old September 1st, 2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Aodrn
It's a long boring story

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I am getting my race license through MCRA next sat. As far as I can tell, the only advantage of having one is the ability to race. http://midwestcaferacing.com/racing/mcra-racing-clinic/
Also you can impress foxy bartenders by accidentally giving them the "wrong" ID.
"Oh I'm sorry, yeah I race motorcycles. Yeah its dangerous, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. By the way, what would you like for breakfast?"
#41 MCRA

alex.s :crashing is a normal part of life... people are just in denial about that.
Aodrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2013, 11:50 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
For you snot, Motoseries (OH org.) would be the "nearest" race series. Although, I also did mine with MCRA (St. Louis org). You can't go wrong with either. Here are the benefits;

You get to RACE!
You get to go even faster (your as fast as the company you keep on the track)
You can get discounts on gear, parts and other track events
You get a whole new set of friends that are track rats, they only come for races

Sub-benefits
You get a cool ID
You get to say "I race motocycles"
You get all da ho's at da bar

Club racing is pretty cool and nobody really cares how fast you are or where you place when the checkers drop. Your cool as long as you get out there, some ride it just like a track day session.

But honestly, you could jump in head first into racing or do a few more track days. I say do a few more track days until you get all the gear, parts and equipment you need before thinking about racing. There are a few more expenses when it comes to racing. For example, you will need a transponder. You can buy one for $200 - $400 or rent one for $20-$35 per day. Not being ready can turn a $300 track day weekend into a $500 expense in an instant.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2013, 11:52 AM   #5
9lives
ninjette.org member

Name: Walter

Motorcycle(s): Daytona 675

Racers also usually get a discount with most trackday providers. In some cases it's significant an example would be Trackdaz discount to licensed CVMA racers with $50 off a $150 trackday.
9lives is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2013, 12:54 PM   #6
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Thanks for the input. I am going to focus on getting leathers first and a few more track days. As a girl the bartender thing is not for me for me its more of a goal. I know I can do it just not sure how to. I

Old September 1st, 2013, 07:25 PM   #7
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post

Club racing is pretty cool and nobody really cares how fast you are or where you place when the checkers drop. Your cool as long as you get out there, some ride it just like a track day session.
Can't say I agree. Maybe others don't care but I always liked winning, no matter what level of racing.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:52 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Context.... Meh, there is more to life than a little plastic trophy and $100. Sorry, just not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:53 AM   #9
iZapp
former ninja 250'er

Name: Geo

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia 1000R, CRF450, CBR600RR tracktoy, Ninja 250 -- GONE!!!!!

Quote:
Context.... Meh, there is more to life than a little plastic trophy and $100. Sorry, just not that important in the grand scheme of things.
the only reason to race is to try to win (or at least beat others). you can keep the trophy and 100 bucks - the rush of competition and satisfaction of doing something better than someone else is what a racer desires. imo THAT is the context.
iZapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:00 AM   #10
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
I would think there are more benefits; lines, body position, discounts, the rush, and the people you meet. At least that is what I have gathered from this thread. I would like to do the endurance race or at least try once. It sounds like fun and a good way to see how well you trained and how far you can push. It would be in a couple years before I would be comfortable but I have a goal .

Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:06 AM   #11
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
It's all about the rush of gripping 200hp between your legs while waiting to drop the clutch lever and trying to get to turn # 1 first. It's all about going 140mph at full lean with your knee on the ground as you rear wheel is laying down a black stripe of rubber over a football field long. All the awhile your only 3 inches off the rear wheel of the rider in front of you trying to make the pass before the checkered flag. I doubt your experience ether of these on a 250 but like I said It's all about the rush and that can be had on any sized bike at the track.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:22 AM   #12
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
^ don't doubt the rush. Considering I just had my first track day I have to work my way up to this . But you do make it sound very exciting.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:34 AM   #13
krakatak
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
For example, you will need a transponder. You can buy one for $200 - $400 or rent one for $20-$35 per day.
I bought one from MCRA for like $100 (that's what their website says, but I swear it was little less).
krakatak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:46 AM   #14
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Dearest Chris, if you're not out to win you're not racing, you're just riding around the track. Trophies and money are just a plus.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:01 AM   #15
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

a friend of mine was going to vintage race his CB550F (now at 590cc) this weekend but the whole north east feels like its underwater today so I decided not to head up to the track to see it. but I think I will race something one day again. I used to race mx in the 80's and I'll say this you can have one fun battle between you and another guy over 18th place, but its even more fun to be battling for 1st. of course once I moved out of the novice class the firsts became 18ths.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:37 PM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

The context here is not hardcore. It's one rider asking questions after one track day. I much prefer to encourage participation. Sure, every single rider on the grid would like to take home a 1st place but there can only be one. So what is in it for the other riders? I am in it for the battle, whether it be for 1st or for last, don't matter much to me because the beers taste the same in the paddock and everyone laughs just as hard.

Still meh, time spent in the winner's circle is such a small percentage of the time spent at the track. If that is truly all your there for, you missing so much.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:38 PM   #17
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
I am sure everyone wants to win . I will not be in that group at least not anyway soon. I am looking for all the other benefits. Also the how to but I am not ready for that now.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:43 PM   #18
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I think racing is safer than trackdays because everyone is trying to go as fast as they can instead of the few who are just cruising around the track.

Racing is fun and you could be surprised on how well you do. Running against another rider is thrilling and will stay with you for life.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:56 PM   #19
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
I am sure everyone wants to win . I will not be in that group at least not anyway soon. I am looking for all the other benefits. Also the how to but I am not ready for that now.
I cared more about having an epic battle on track then actually winning, it just so happens I used to win a lot. Most of my most memorable races were ones where I battle for just a top ten position. There are a couple races that I won that I'll never forget but they are the minority I think.

Epic battle + winning = greatest feeling
Epic battle + losing = great feeling
Setting a new personal best lap time + losing = sense of acomplishment and a smile
Winning will no challenge = meh

I will always choose the race will the odds stacked against me vs the sure win every time. Ill never understand the feeling of those who just want to win even at the cost of a challenge.

Get a racing license if you willing to sacrifice a lot for self improvment(not just riding skill) and are willing to risk utter disappointment.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:58 PM   #20
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Really do appreciate all the different points of view as well.

I must admit I have fallen in love with riding and riding on the track (so much fun). I have always been mechanical inclined and work on my own bike /cars. The bike is one of two hobbies and is just as expensive as my other hobby. The difference is I can't seam to get enough of the bike I truly enjoy it more than anything I have ever done.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:45 PM   #21
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I cared more about having an epic battle on track then actually winning, it just so happens I used to win a lot. Most of my most memorable races were ones where I battle for just a top ten position. There are a couple races that I won that I'll never forget but they are the minority I think.

Setting a new personal best lap time + losing = sense of acomplishment and a smile

I will always choose the race will the odds stacked against me vs the sure win every time. Ill never understand the feeling of those who just want to win even at the cost of a challenge.

Get a racing license if you willing to sacrifice a lot for self improvment(not just riding skill) and are willing to risk utter disappointment.
Very well put. I've got plenty of lonely 1st place trophies, but some of the best times I've had in a race I wasn't even on the podium.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:33 PM   #22
iZapp
former ninja 250'er

Name: Geo

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia 1000R, CRF450, CBR600RR tracktoy, Ninja 250 -- GONE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post

+2
iZapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:27 AM   #23
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

On a side note, does MCRA or Motoseries have calendar annual or from completion annual fee for their license.

May be something for Snot to think about, ie only a race or two left for the season if annual calendar.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:15 PM   #24
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Priority:
Raise to stock
Tires
Gear (leathers)
Track days
Exhaust + commander
Classes
License
Race!
Goal 2 years.

Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:45 PM   #25
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

Anyone here race at Auto club speedway?

helping a friend (on the other side of the globe.) who is getting into racing after a year of track days.
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #26
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
Anyone here race at Auto club speedway?

helping a friend (on the other side of the globe.) who is getting into racing after a year of track days.
Yes many times on the 600's and 1000's but never a 250.