ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 11th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #1
Mike K
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 track bike, 2007 Suzuki GSXR 750 track bike, 2002 Yamaha R6, 1995 CBR600RR f3 track bike

Zipper Repair Help

Hi all,
Riding season is just about to begin here in the mid-Atlantic east coast area so I was trying on some of my gear today. Unfortunately the zipper popped on my Dainese one piece. I tried to fix it but the teeth won't mesh properly. It looks like one of the teeth is damaged.

Can anyone recommend a place to take or send it to have the zipper replaced? I'd love to find a place in the central Jersey or Philly area.

Thanks,
Mike

Old April 11th, 2015, 10:34 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Try a shoe repair shop. Also, call around to some of the dry cleaners. Many of them in my area also repair leather products such as purses, ect... basically many other products that required reinforced stitching. Just be careful who you choose, you don't want your gear to fail due to fixes that are not strong enough, but they may be able to remove a tooth from the existing zipper without altering the stitching or replacement of the existing zipper.

When all else fails, Barnacle Bill in KY can fix it or replace it and guarantee that the suit will fail in other places before the fixed area will fail. He is fast too, but realize this is his busy time of year.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 11th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #3
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

On that note, I have a pair of Dainese Torque RS Out boots. Warning to the wise, while the boots are nice, the zipper along the back is affixed in such a manner that the teeth tend to wear at a crease point, and the zipper itself is neither repairable nor replaceable due to the design, according to every single repair place I've visited. Dainese also would not cover it when it happened, literally a month and a few days past the date of warranty expiration.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
On that note, I have a pair of Dainese Torque RS Out boots. Warning to the wise, while the boots are nice, the zipper along the back is affixed in such a manner that the teeth tend to wear at a crease point, and the zipper itself is neither repairable nor replaceable due to the design, according to every single repair place I've visited. Dainese also would not cover it when it happened, literally a month and a few days past the date of warranty expiration.
Call Mr. Bill... everything can be fixed.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2015, 11:05 AM   #5
Urban Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Kate

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, Yamaha TTR 125

How long have you had the suit?? Dainese does have a one year warranty on their products and will even honor it if the product is slightly over a year old.

They will either repair it or send you a new suit if it cannot be repaired.

Old April 11th, 2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Mike K
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 track bike, 2007 Suzuki GSXR 750 track bike, 2002 Yamaha R6, 1995 CBR600RR f3 track bike

The suit is a couple of years old so sending it to Dainese is out. I emailed Barnacle Bill and he said he'd get it done in just a couple of days for a pretty reasonable price. He said he only uses US made brass zippers so I know that the zipper is going to hold up. If I can't find a local place that I trust to do it right I'll pack it up and send it to Bill.