ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old October 30th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #1
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Chicken Strips

I just got picked on by more experienced riders on the untouched tread on the side of the tires. How do I get more confidence to get proper lean angle so I can wear out the tire evenly?
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89398

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #3
Dr. Ew
Yoshi

Name: Dr. Ew

Motorcycle(s): 11 Ninja 250

First and foremost... Kick them in the taco! Real respectable riders wouldnt put down other 2 wheelers based on their strips.
Next i strongly suggest watching Twist of the Wrist II.
Also get stickier tires. I slip a lot with the stock tires and it will scare you when you feel your bike wobble or slide and grip and slide through the turns.
Most importantly ride within your limits and never push yourself beyond it. Concentrate on your ride, your live. Be safe. Enjoy.
Dr. Ew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I'm afraid (chicken?) of even going to a parking lot and practicing that kind of leaning until I get some sliders. In the meantime, say what you want about my tires. I don't care!
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #5
WhiteRice
Kamikaze Squirrel

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytse Frobozz View Post
I'm afraid (chicken?) of even going to a parking lot and practicing that kind of leaning until I get some sliders. In the meantime, say what you want about my tires. I don't care!
get sliders, get them
WhiteRice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #6
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

What you do is gear up and RIDE MORE!!! That is all.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #7
W8INLINE
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 2011 black 250r

Deflate your tire so your contact is side to side and ride it slowly in a parking lot for an hour or so
W8INLINE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #8
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
David, I don't know where in Florida you live but it's hard to get a good lean angle on straight roads. If you're in South Florida try Homestead, North Florida try Jennings, I hear there are "chicken strip" reducing areas at both places.

Old November 9th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #9
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
David, I don't know where in Florida you live but it's hard to get a good lean angle on straight roads. If you're in South Florida try Homestead, North Florida try Jennings, I hear there are "chicken strip" reducing areas at both places.
You mean a track day? I can't that anytime soon!

Old November 9th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #10
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
I just got picked on by more experienced riders on the untouched tread on the side of the tires. How do I get more confidence to get proper lean angle so I can wear out the tire evenly?
Uh oh... I see an "I'm streetfightering my bike" thread posting in your future.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
3 things;

1. Get education - Read books/movies or do a track day class or get a seasoned rider to help you
2. Seat time with goals (ride practicing 1 or two skills at a time)
3. Always ride at 80% or less

It comes with time and practice.

*Riding at the tires edge on the street leaves you little margin of error and no margin to lean it a bit further if you need to. So be safe out there.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #12
expat
ninjette.org member

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

Confidence is key. Find a decent bend and ride it repeatedly. Always look through the corner where you want to go, not at any fixed point. Pay attention to your line on entry and exit and slowly increase your speed making sure you follow the same line each time. More speed = more lean = less chicken strip.
Like others have suggested, read articles on body position and bar inputs etc before doing any of this, oh yeah, good gear and sliders are a good investment too!!
expat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #13
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
More speed = more lean
+ tiny bit of gravel, sand, oil spot, antifreeze drips = streetfighter bike.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
no thats called a crashed bike. streetfighter != crashed bike. dick.
why dont you stop hating on bikes. you are about as bad as harley guys. or squids hating on cruisers. its a bike. you ride it. quit hating on other peoples bikes unless you want them hating on yours

Old November 9th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #15
expat
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Ahhh the hazards of street riding. Have you thought of taking up knitting? wait, maybe you would stab yourself.... strike that!

Old November 9th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

You can disagree with someone without breaking the T.O.S. The last two posts are not good examples of this.

For what it's worth, the right answer to a brand-new young rider who is asking about how to get rid of his chicken strips so he stops getting made fun of *is not* how to ride faster to get rid of his chicken strips.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #17
expat
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
You can disagree with someone without breaking the T.O.S. The last two posts are not good examples of this.

For what it's worth, the right answer to a brand-new young rider who is asking about how to get rid of his chicken strips so he stops getting made fun of *is not* how to ride faster to get rid of his chicken strips.
Merely pointing out the hazzards of motorcycling (or knitting) There is no indication that the original poster is a brand new rider, only that he was picked on by "more experienced" riders. I did not tell him to ride faster, merely to "slowly" increase his speed over a familair stretch or road (without, sand, oil, anti freeze etc) as opposed to an unfamiliar stretch of road which could be dangerous.

Old November 9th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #18
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Merely pointing out the hazzards of motorcycling (or knitting) There is no indication that the original poster is a brand new rider, only that he was picked on by "more experienced" riders. I did not tell him to ride faster, merely to "slowly" increase his speed over a familair stretch or road (without, sand, oil, anti freeze etc) as opposed to an unfamiliar stretch of road which could be dangerous.
I have to say I'm pretty much a brand new rider with almost 3,000 miles in less than two months. I've gotten some decent lean angles (I think) on left turns, and there is clearly more wear on the left side of the tire. I guess it's because I'm more comfortable with left turns.

I'm just wondering would any parts drag before the bike is leaned all the way. Would it be safer with more performance-oriented tires to lean more?

Old November 9th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
There is no indication that the original poster is a brand new rider, only that he was picked on by "more experienced" riders.
He has posted up his age (not old enough to drink legally) and his experience (brand-new) in several threads here already.

Quote:
I did not tell him to ride faster, merely to "slowly" increase his speed over a familair stretch or road (without, sand, oil, anti freeze etc) as opposed to an unfamiliar stretch of road which could be dangerous.
Your post wasn't the only one that missed the point, nor was my second comment only related to yours.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #20
expat
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liist View Post
I have to say I'm pretty much a brand new rider with almost 3,000 miles in less than two months. I've gotten some decent lean angles (I think) on left turns, and there is clearly more wear on the left side of the tire. I guess it's because I'm more comfortable with left turns.

I'm just wondering would any parts drag before the bike is leaned all the way. Would it be safer with more performance-oriented tires to lean more?
Yes and yes, tires are key, if you plan on "spirited" riding, buy the best sport tire you can, it is amazing how much grip they will offer.
Your spikes on the front pegs will probably be the first to touch down, followed by maybe your sidestand on the lefthanders.
As I said in my prior post, increase your speed slowly otherwise you will be owning a streetfighter.

Old November 9th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #21
expat
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
He has posted up his age (not old enough to drink legally) and his experience (brand-new) in several threads here already.
Sorry, havent read all his posts, only the one in this thread..

Old November 9th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #22
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 2006 Daytona 675 in Tornado Red (sold), 2007 Ninja 650

Time and practice.
Get confident at one angle of lean and then go a little deeper. That with a combination of OH SHI- IM GOING IN TOO FAST, MUST LEAN MORE moments is how I gained experience with deep lean angles. I don't recommend the second method of learning...
The main thing is that if you enjoy riding, screw what other people think.

On the technical side of things, I don't think you can ride the stock rubber to the edges without hard parts (such as the kickstand) scraping first. You can get pretty close though.
hoodadooda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #23
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Wow just Wow. its obvious you are a new rider. The simple fact that you are even worrying about chicken strips is concerning. To make it worse its other riders goading you into it that makes it so much worse.

Any advice to go faster, lean more blah blah blah is total ****ing horseshit. Chicken stripes are meaningless plain and simple. To go out with the intention of just getting rid of them is going to end bad. Odds are you will be leaning the bike over as far as you can with poor body position and crash. Read the skills books, learn how to position your body correctly and work on proper technique. Dont worry about what your tires look like.

Also if a person commutes on there bike they will have chicken strips regardless of how hard the fling the bike in the twisties. I commute 40 miles total each day 5 days a week its freeway riding so pretty much straight roads. that means in order to not have "Chicken stripes" i would have to do 200 miles on each side of my tire to match the tread ware from my commute.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #24
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Yup, with experience, you'll know how much to push or even if it's no longer something you give a hoot about.

As a new rider who's just starting to really get the hang of it, I'm at that point where I use a different approach to experienced riders ribbing me. I simply downplay my experience and skill and it usually results in people not making fun of me but giving me great tips and encouragement! It takes away the whole p!ssing contest thing so I'm no longer a threat to their view of themselves as a skilled rider.

I suck, you're good, make yourself useful and help me out.

You'll find the kind of people you want to ride with won't give a crap about chicken strips because they just want to ride and have a blast. Some will race, some will putter but the most confident secure people, will show you how to just have a blast and not care about those things.

And if it makes you feel better, I'm 'good' at leaning and I totally suck at real speed - we're all different.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:22 AM   #25
MotoED
ninjette.org guru

Name: Edd

Motorcycle(s): 2011 SE Pearl/Ebony Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
+1
[#4]
MotoED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #26
expat
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Wow just Wow. its obvious you are a new rider. The simple fact that you are even worrying about chicken strips is concerning. To make it worse its other riders goading you into it that makes it so much worse.

Any advice to go faster, lean more blah blah blah is total ****ing horseshit. Chicken stripes are meaningless plain and simple. To go out with the intention of just getting rid of them is going to end bad. Odds are you will be leaning the bike over as far as you can with poor body position and crash. Read the skills books, learn how to position your body correctly and work on proper technique. Dont worry about what your tires look like.

Also if a person commutes on there bike they will have chicken strips regardless of how hard the fling the bike in the twisties. I commute 40 miles total each day 5 days a week its freeway riding so pretty much straight roads. that means in order to not have "Chicken stripes" i would have to do 200 miles on each side of my tire to match the tread ware from my commute.
I think you are over reacting. The original poster asked a question, I don't really see anyone goading him into going faster. The posts so far all pretty much say what you are saying, read books on body position etc.
He asked a question on how to get rid of the chicken strips and has received answers. By the way, you are referring to tire wear, not removing chicken strips in the last sentence of your post. Once the tire is scrubbed, the chicken strip is gone. No one can use every part of the tire evenly riding on the street!

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #27
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
OP, just take sandpaper to the chicken strips. that way you wont get made fun of but can learn at your own pace

Old November 10th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #28
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

When I first started riding, I did a lot of loops in traffic circles. I was fortunate that road construction at the time minimized traffic through the circle so I was able to go both directions. Circles are nice because because you have infinite time to lean over.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #29
blueflash
Recovering Nuke

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Yamaha FZ1, 2005 Ninja 250

If you're keeping up with the guys that have thinner strips, then you're doing better than them.

To get rid of the strips, it's no problem... just lean your body to the outside of the curve, as though you were terrified of the curve. Unfortunately, the likelihood of a crash is much higher, since this technique is essentially NEVER the right way to take a curve.

If you ride properly, and use your body weight to lower the center of gravity of the bike in the turn (i.e., lean off the bike some, toward the center of the turn), you will maintain more control, significantly reduce the likelihood of a crash, but you won't get rid of the strips quickly...

You will, however, have to wait on the guys that have horrible riding styles and no strips... Enjoy the ride... ride within your limits... strive to improve your technique.

I don't think I've ever seen the judges race out to measure chicken strips on the GP circuit. Don't worry about it...

2005 Ninja 250R
2004 Yamaha FZ1

Last futzed with by blueflash; November 12th, 2011 at 05:56 AM. Reason: spelling
blueflash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #30
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflash View Post

To get rid of the strips, it's no problem... just lean your body to the outside of the curve, as though you were terrified of the curve. Unfortunately, the likelihood of a crash is much higher, since this technique is essentially NEVER the right way to take a curve.
You are right. This is NEVER the correct way to do it. I wouldn't recommend. If you really want to scrub them off, do some fast quick flicks in a parking lot. It's much safer than taking a high speed corner completely incorrectly.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #31
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Practice counter-steering and eventually use it until it becomes second nature, minimum a year. Get best track tires for this new gen bike. And until it all comes together with experience just do what you see in the photos on-site, stick out your leg when going around bends (LMAO). At least you know where you are brother and just have patience.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #32
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

Hey don't worry about what those guys say like someone said it is wrong they should have made that comment in the first place to my mind to make a comment to a young rider about chicken strips is not the sign of an experienced rider.

They are not chicken strips ...you eat chicken strips they are merely wear wear indicators and or mold marks

so what if you still have them over time you will wear them by finding the best and most importantly the safest way to ride for you.

I have seen very experienced riders with them for quite sometime

Just be safe

Old January 24th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #33
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liist View Post
As someone new to bikes.

Just ride your ride and don't worry what the "more experienced" riders have to say.

Focus on your lines in turns (outside - inside - outside) and looking through the turn. Do your parking lot practice.

Faster turns and smaller strips will all come in time.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #34
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
You are right. This is NEVER the correct way to do it. I wouldn't recommend. If you really want to scrub them off, do some fast quick flicks in a parking lot. It's much safer than taking a high speed corner completely incorrectly.
even then... ive seen noobs wash it in parking lots flicking it.

who cares what other people think. just have fun

Old January 24th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #35
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

For the front tire, you can loosen the fender bolts. Eventually, the fender will start to fall off, and start rubbing on the tire. This will wear the tire down evenly on all sides, and get rid of the chicken strips.

Old January 24th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #36
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
For the front tire, you can loosen the fender bolts. Eventually, the fender will start to fall off, and start rubbing on the tire. This will wear the tire down evenly on all sides, and get rid of the chicken strips.
LOL! Wow, now I have seen it all.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #37
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
holy **** skippii.

dont feel bad though, i did that with my license plate and back tire luckily the license plate bent back to shape

Old January 24th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #38
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Just an idea how much you have to lean the bike to get it close to the chicken strips

Took this picture today just messing around, didnt even see this thread at first lol

Old January 24th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #39
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

you all realize this is from October right?
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #40
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
yep. I totally knew that. What do I look like to you, a forum n3wb??
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote