Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #1
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Thumbs up Six states, seven days, 2000+ miles

Yep, I just got back today from my moto-camping trip. In the past seven days I've been in Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky.

In that time I rode Skyline Drive, The Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, The Dragon, through the Great Smoky Mountains, and more. I've dreamed of doing something like this for several years now, and I'm really glad that I did. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. It's a week that I will never forget.

It wasn't all easy, and there were times when I wasn't sure if I could do it. There were times where I felt mentally or physically drained, but other times when I felt on top of the world... It was actually only a little over 6000ft

There's no way that I can describe my entire experience, it's just something that you have to experience for yourself. But I will try to do the best that I can.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #2
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Cool

I look forward to seeing some photographs, etc.

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #3
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

Sounds like a great trip! Looking forward to the pictures and stories of the best of times and the worst of times!
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Share! Share as much as you can! Even if it sounds silly, it's all part of the experience.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #5
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
First of let me say that I didn't have this whole trip planned out. Actually not even close. I knew that I would take the Blue Ridge down to North Carolina, near the Tennessee border, and I knew that I wanted to ride the dragon. I didn't really know where I would be staying every night, or what way I would come back to Ohio however. I was just kinda wingin' it, which turned out to be the best plan in the end because I stayed at some places that I never would have if I would have planned it all out.

Day One: I started off the day at around 4:00 P.M. because I had two finals to take that morning. I didn't make it out of Ohio, but I did make it close to the West Virginia border. I camped at a state forest that I had never been to, but had decided to stay there because of it's location. Their website said that camping was allowed, and it was obvious that people had camped there before.

I camped by myself, the place was just a bunch of horse trails. So I looked around for a little while and didn't see or hear anyone. After about 45 minutes I decided to set up camp. I left in the morning without seeing anyone.

There was no ranger at the station, and nowhere to pay for a campsite, so I camped for free. No harm, no foul I suppose. I cooked and ate some dinner, then drank a flask of whiskey I had brought while I looked at the stars and thought about my trip ahead.

Here's a pic of my campsite for the night.

Last futzed with by ninjamunky85; May 14th, 2014 at 07:05 AM.

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #6
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
You hit a lot of the best roads in the mid-atlantic states.

Old May 13th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #7
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Day two: I woke up early'ish and packed up quick before anyone might come along and ask what I was doing camping there. Plus I had a long trip planned for the day. I wanted to make it to Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, which is where Skyline drive starts. It was over 300 miles to get there.

I took the main highways through Charleston WV, which sucked, but I didn't see any easy ways around the city on the map. If you've never been through Charleston, their capital building is topped with a gold dome. It is quite beautiful in the sun, and easily seen from I-64 which passes right through the city.

Anyway I got off of 64 as quick as I could and got onto US-60, which is considered a scenic bypass and would also take me all the way into Virginia. I wasn't a bad ride, and there was some nice scenery along the way. Some of the roads were pretty challenging (think downhill, blind, decreasing radius turns, with gravel on the road, because a lot of mining trucks drive along parts of this road.)

Along the way I snapped a pic of a little dam in the river that ran along much of the road. I forget the name of the river but it had an Indian name, like Kawahana or something like that.

Before I made it into Virginia I stopped for lunch in some small little town at a DQ. I started to eat my lunch (a club sandwich, fries, and a vanilla shake) and about halfway through I couldn't eat anymore of it. I had only eaten an energy bar for breakfast, so normally I would have scarfed it down... I should have been hungry but I wasn't, the reason was all mental.

I was in a small town I had never been to. I had no cell reception, I didn't know where I would be sleeping for the night, and I didn't know If I was even capable of a trip like this. Needless to say, I guess I had butterflies in my stomach. But I couldn't turn back now, I hadn't really even started my trip yet, I knew the best was yet to come... I continued on.

Last futzed with by ninjamunky85; May 15th, 2014 at 07:45 PM.

Old May 13th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #8
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Eventually I had to get off of US-60 and get onto Interstate 81 to cross into Virginia and head north toward Shenandoah. The mountains are starting to climb at this point, and I'm staying full throttle up some of the hills just to maintain my speed. I stop at a rest stop to take a break. I get a drink of water and go to a picnic table and just lay on it for a while. My back and shoulders were starting to get sore at this point and I just needed to close my eyes and relax.

I had noticed and older black gentlemen sitting at one of the other picnic tables and talking on his cell when I got there. Before I left I introduced myself and told him about my planned journey. He was retired, from North Carolina, and had just driven the Blue Ridge on his way to Maryland. We laughed and said small world then wished each other good luck on their trip.

Before I left I took another picture... probably the best view from a rest stop that I have seen.

Last futzed with by ninjamunky85; May 13th, 2014 at 10:16 PM.

Old May 13th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #9
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
As I continue on interstate 81 I pass my new friend from NC. We wave as we pass each other. I know it may seem stupid but something as small as that little wave gave me an energy boost. Call it good karma I guess.

I keep heading toward Shenandoah, but before I get there I see a sign for a KOA campground. I ended up staying there. It was a little expensive at $21 +$6.50 for firewood, but at least I got to take a shower. I set up camp, go down the street to the local gas station and buy a couple of beers. I stuff them in my cooler and head back to camp. I build a fire, drink the beers, then heat up a can of chunky soup for dinner.

As I'm eating my soup I look back at the day and decide that it wasn't so bad. I know that the best is yet to come and feel confident about continuing on. I slept well that night. I bought a new sleeping bag for the trip, and even though it was kind of cold that night I was nice and warm.

Last futzed with by ninjamunky85; May 13th, 2014 at 10:13 PM.

Old May 14th, 2014, 07:04 AM   #10
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
I forgot to mention that somewhere along the way, not long after I got into Virginia, I stopped to get gas and take a break. It had been 240 miles since I last filled up, just before I left Ohio. The bike took 3.2 gallons. That comes out to 75mpg, which is what I would average for the rest of the trip.

Day three: I wake up a little after 8:00 A.M. The sun is starting to shine brightly on my tent and I'm excited to get started again on my journey. This is the day that I finally will get to Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. I make no set goal for how many miles I want to cover on this day. I remind myself that enjoying the ride is what is now important.

I make a cup of coffee, get a hot shower, pack up my stuff, and head out around 9:00. The road heading to the campground traveled north and south. Instead of getting back on the interstate I take a left heading north, I figure I want to go north so that should get me there.

After heading north for a while I'm not really sure if I'm still going in the right direction, so I stop at a gas station to look at the map. Luckily a UPS driver pulls up just as I get off of my bike. If anyone knows the local roads it's a UPS driver, so when I see him come out of the store I ask him for directions. He tells me to take the next exit to 33 east and that will take me up the mountain to Skyline Drive. After a few minutes I arrive.

To drive on Skyline Drive you have to pay $10. I didn't care as I was just excited to be there. After riding the Blue Ridge Parkway though, the $10 seems like kind of a rip off. They have toll booth that you stop at to pay the ranger. He hands me my receipt and brochure, then tells me that my payment gives me a seven day pass for Skyline Drive. I laugh inside my head and think, "I won't be anywhere near here again in the next seven days" oh well.

Once I go through the toll booth I pull off at the first scenic overlook to take a picture and relax for a minute. As I get off my bike an all black KTM super duke goes flying by, the rider wearing all black and looking like ghost rider. Man, that is one mean sounding bike. Here's the pic I snapped from the overlook.

Last futzed with by ninjamunky85; May 14th, 2014 at 08:34 AM.

Old May 14th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #11
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

Look forward to reading the rest of this. Do you have an inventory of what all you took with you? Also, is Grovetucky code for Grove City? I'm up in Cleveland and wouldn't mind joining you for a weekend ride/camp some time.

Old May 14th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #12
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Before I get back on my bike the same KTM goes flying by again, probably doing about 70mph. I decide at this point that the 35mph speed limit on Skyline must not be very strictly enforced for motorcycles. This was not the story I would here later on from some other riders, but I saw no cops for the little while that I was there.

Okay, so if you looked closely at the picture of the sign I took when I got to Skyline Drive, you might have noticed that I didn't actually ride the whole Skyline. I don't know how far north it went from where I entered it. I wasn't really worried about it, I just figured I should hit at least some of it on my way to the Blue Ridge.

Once I get going on Skyline everything is just perfect. The sun is shining beautifully, the temperature is in the low 70's, the scenery is great, and the road is in perfect condition. At least my $10 helps pay for a really well maintained road I guess as there were no potholes, no gravel, just sticky blacktop and wonderful curves through the mountains. I was there on a Thursday and there was very little traffic as well. I basically had the road to myself.

I stop again after about 20 minutes to get a drink of water. There are all kinds of scenic overlooks along the way to stop at. At the overlook there was an older couple on their bicycles talking to another older man. I overhear them talking about taking a scenic train ride through different parts of the country.

Before I leave the couple on the bicycles ride away and the other gentlemen approaches me and introduces himself. He says that he is retired, in his 70's, is a volunteer at the park, and was maintaining one of the hiking trails that morning. I would have guessed that he was in his 50's not his 70's as he didn't look at all like he was in his 70's. He mentions that I'm a rather clean cut individual for a motorcycle rider... I laugh. I tell him about my journey, and he talks for a little while about why the road is so popular with motorcycle riders. Before I leave he asks me if I have enough water, then wishes me good luck on my trip. I thank him for his volunteer work and continue on my way.

My only complaint about Skyline Drive is that my time on it ended too soon. I think it only took me about an hour before I finished it. This was still the first time I had driven any road that lasted even that long where there were more curves then straight parts. I was excited to make it to the Blue Ridge though, I assumed that it would be more of the same.., and it would take me another 469 miles all the way to North Carolina.

Before I got on the Blue Ridge I got another tourist to take a picture of me in front of the sign entering the parkway.

Old May 14th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #13
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
If you're not familiar with The Blue Ridge Parkway, it is advertised as "America's Favorite Drive". According to Wikipedia, "The Parkway, while not a "National Park," has been the most visited unit of the National Park System every year since 1946 except one (1949)." It was built to be a scenic road and there are no stop signs for the entire 469 miles.

At it's lowest point you are under 1000ft and at it's highest point you are over 6000ft. No semi trucks are allowed on the parkway. A lot of the curves have no guardrails, and the ones that do just have alittle rock or wooden guardrail that is maybe 2ft high so they don't obstruct the view. It would be easy to drive right off of a cliff at many points along the road. I'm scared of heights, but I kinda got used to it after a while and it didn't really bother me.

Old May 14th, 2014, 08:26 AM   #14
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Share! Share as much as you can! Even if it sounds silly, it's all part of the experience.
I found this post helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
You hit a lot of the best roads in the mid-atlantic states.
The drive from Miami to Key West has a lot of beautiful views, but the drive itself is really boring. The roads I hit on this trip were far from boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Bob View Post
Look forward to reading the rest of this. Do you have an inventory of what all you took with you? Also, is Grovetucky code for Grove City? I'm up in Cleveland and wouldn't mind joining you for a weekend ride/camp some time.
Once I get done writing about my journey I'll make a list of all that I took with me.

Yes I'm in Grove City. I don't know when my next moto-camping trip will be but let me know what you're thinking.

Old May 14th, 2014, 08:40 AM   #15
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
In that time I rode Skyline Drive, The Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, The Dragon, through the Great Smoky Mountains, and more. I've dreamed of doing something like this for several years now, and I'm really glad that I did. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. It's a week that I will never forget.
You hit some of my FAVORITE roads! Wow! What a dream trip!

Quote:
If you're not familiar with The Blue Ridge Parkway, it is advertised as "America's Favorite Drive". According to Wikipedia, "The Parkway, while not a "National Park," has been the most visited unit of the National Park System every year since 1946 except one (1949)." It was built to be a scenic road and there are no stop signs for the entire 469 miles.

At it's lowest point you are under 1000ft and at it's highest point you are over 6000ft. No semi trucks are allowed on the parkway. A lot of the curves have no guardrails, and the ones that do just have alittle rock or wooden guardrail that is maybe 2ft high so they don't obstruct the view. It would be easy to drive right off of a cliff at many points along the road. I'm scared of heights, but I kinda got used to it after a while and it didn't really bother me.
The BRP is like another world. I once saw a semi truck start down it and get stuck at the first tunnel. Not too bright.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 08:47 AM   #16
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
I found this post helpful.

The drive from Miami to Key West has a lot of beautiful views, but the drive itself is really boring. The roads I hit on this trip were far from boring.

I've done all of those roads, some numerous times, and I have the tickets to prove it. I've done the Blue Ridge in early spring and had the road all to myself.

Old May 14th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #17
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Day three (cont.) As I continue and head down the Blue Ridge my experience just keeps getting better. The views become even more beautiful as I work my way deeper into the Appalachians. The road quickly climbs to over 3,000ft.

Not soon after that I started to see pot holes in the road and then gravel. Then I saw something that I really didn't expect to see, traffic stopped in the road. It turned out that they were working on repaving this section of the road, and it was only one lane at a time while they were working on it. It looked like we were gonna be stopped for a while so I shut the bike down, got off to stretch, took off my jacket because it was starting to get hot, and snacked on some jerky that I had.

A worker told me that we were about to start moving, so I went to put my gear back on. As I was doing so I waved traffic around me then caught it at the end of the line. As I was about to go around, the guy holding the sign stopped me. He said that he was sorry, but his supervisor told him to stop traffic again before I got through. I could have gotten angry, but I didn't. What was another 5 minute delay in the grand scheme of things? I shut my bike down again, but didn't take off any of my gear this time.

While I was stopped again the guy holding the stop sign asked me where I was headed. I told him about my journey and he seemed surprised. He said good for me for doing something like this at my age and not waiting until later in life. He then told me about a former co-worker of his who had died of a brain aneurysm just a few years before he was to retire, and that he didn't get to experience some of the things that he'd dreamed of.

I agreed that I was glad to be doing it, and while it's great to have plans for the future sometimes you just have to live in the present because there is no guarantee that you will be alive tomorrow.

Last futzed with by ninjamunky85; May 14th, 2014 at 12:52 PM.

Old May 14th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #18
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Sorry for chuckling but I'm genuinely trying to think of anywhere nearby that is near 3000'. I'm currently at 4000' and at the bottom of a basin. you Easterners sure are way down there.

Love the story and the pictures. I'm excited!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #19
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
I make it through the construction and the road condition improves. I'm following a guy on a goldwing pulling a trailer, and he is hauling butt. I stay on his tail though. It's easy when you're following someone. He pulls off after a while and I have the road to myself again.

The weather is beautiful and I'm enjoying the road again but I need to get gas and grab something to eat. I get off the parkway in Roanoke and am reminded how much it sucks driving in city traffic when it's 90 degrees outside. I get gas, then stop at a subway for a late lunch. I look at my map and see that Rocky Knob recreation area isn't far away, and looks like a good place to camp for the night.

Before I make it to Rocky Knob I stop and take a picture of a cool little dam.

I make it to Rocky Knob shortly thereafter, but they aren't open. I'm there on May 8th and they don't open till the 9th. It's about 6:30 P.M. now and I'm ready to get off of the road for the day and now I don't know where i can camp.

I get off at the next junction and stop at a gas station. I go in and ask the guy working there where I can camp for the night. He tells me that there is a motorcycle only campground about a mile down the road called Willville. My ears perk up when I hear "motorcycle only campground". I didn't even know there was such a thing. I hop back on the bike and head down the road to Willville.

When I get there I am greeted by the owner Will, and am told to pick a campsite for the night and then to register. For $15 I had a place to camp for the night, they had showers, and for two more dollars Will would pick up a sausage or chicken biscuit in the morning. I set up camp next to a small stream on the west side of the campground. The night is spent around the campfire with the my fellow campers talking motorcycles and telling stories about our present and past adventures. For the first time on the road I feel almost at home.

Willville

Old May 14th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #20
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Sorry for chuckling but I'm genuinely trying to think of anywhere nearby that is near 3000'.
I know it's not much compared to the western states, but it's already twice the elevation of the highest point in Ohio.

Old May 14th, 2014, 01:15 PM   #21
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
I make it through the construction and the road condition improves. I'm following a guy on a goldwing pulling a trailer, and he is hauling butt. I stay on his tail though. It's easy when you're following someone. He pulls off after a while and I have the road to myself again.

The weather is beautiful and I'm enjoying the road again but I need to get gas and grab something to eat. I get off the parkway in Roanoke and am reminded how much it sucks driving in city traffic when it's 90 degrees outside. I get gas, then stop at a subway for a late lunch. I look at my map and see that Rocky Knob recreation area isn't far away, and looks like a good place to camp for the night.
]
How do you know there was butt in the trailer?

You really need to experience local restaurants and stay away from chain restaurants.

Old May 14th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #22
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Any effects on the carbs and bike climbing to higher elevations?

thats a great trip. I have been wanting to motorcycle tour but I haven't owned a bike comfortable enough to do it yet lol

Great photos
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #23
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
How do you know there was butt in the trailer?

You really need to experience local restaurants and stay away from chain restaurants.
lol, just a hunch I guess. Don't worry, I experience some local food later. Sometimes subway isn't a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
Any effects on the carbs and bike climbing to higher elevations?

thats a great trip. I have been wanting to motorcycle tour but I haven't owned a bike comfortable enough to do it yet lol

Great photos
I didn't notice any effect at higher elevations. I didn't used to think the 250 was comfortable enough either, but if you pace yourself and take plenty of breaks it's not bad. Thanks

Old May 14th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #24
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Naturally everyone at Willville asked me where I was headed. I tell them "the Dragon" and they all tell me to watch out for the idiots. I told them that I wasn't there to race anyone, and that I wanted to do it simply because I'd never been there before, and that it was something I had to do. They also were all surprised that my bike was only a 250, I'm not sure some of them knew what to think at first. When I told them the gas mileage I had been getting though they all were impressed.

One of the other campers told me that if I was headed to the dragon then I should stay at another motorcycle campground called the kickstand lodge. He said that the owner "Mo" was really cool, and that it was close to the dragon. I marked it on my map.

Old May 14th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #25
NinjaCowgirl
ninjette.org member

Name: Liz

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Awesome story and great pictures! You're a real traveler

Old May 15th, 2014, 07:43 AM   #26
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Day four: I wake up around 8:00 a.m. drink a cup of coffee and get a shower. After I get dressed I eat the chicken biscuit that Will had picked up for me. As I ate I looked at the radar on my phone and saw that rain was coming in from the west. I was headed southwest and was hoping that I would somehow avoid it, either way it was clear now so I hoped to make good progress.

My plan that day was to finish the Blue Ridge and then make it to the kickstand lodge. It would be another day of almost 300 miles, but I figured that if the rain wasn't too bad then I should be able to make it... I underestimated what it would be like to drive a motorcycle through the mountains in the rain.

I hit the road at about 9:00 a.m. The weather was good and it didn't take me long to cross the N.C. border. I cheered as I crossed the line in celebration of making it to the next state. Not long after that I stopped at another overlook to take a break and enjoy the view. Another beautiful day on the Blue Ridge.

A little after noon I get off of the parkway to get gas in a small town called Blowing Rock. It's a charming little artsy kind of town and even the gas station I stop at is a fancy brick building. I go inside to buy a gatorade, and notice that they have some local craft beer on tap and in individual bottles. I buy a 22oz bottle of a local pale ale even though I don't know how I'm going to chill it, I also pick up a postcard for a friend.

Before I leave Blowing Rock I stop at one of the restaurants there that seemed to be pretty popular. As I was driving by I noticed a crowd sitting at the tables outside, and it looked like they had some cute waitresses working there so I figured it should be a good place for lunch. None of the waitresses seemed to be interested in my journey, but I wasn't really surprised as it's not like I'm the only tourist passing through.

On the second day of my trip I couldn't eat my lunch because I was nervous and sick to my stomach. I couldn't finish my lunch on this day either but not because I was feeling sick. I ordered the fish & chips and it was practically swimming in grease. I know this is the south but I don't know how anyone could eat this... I eat about half of it and leave, not all local food is good food.

Last futzed with by ninjamunky85; May 15th, 2014 at 01:57 PM.

Old May 15th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #27
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Day four: As I ate I looked at the radar on my phone and saw that rain was coming in from the west. I was headed southwest and was hoping that I would somehow avoid it but it was clear now so I hoped to make good progress.

I eat about half of it and leave, not all local food is good food.
When on the road you should always check the next day's weather the night before. You might have to get up early to beat on coming storms, you might have to stay in bed until they pass.

A key to road food, go to the busiest restaurants. I always look for a full parking lot.

Old May 15th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #28
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Once I leave Blowing Rock I start to get higher into the mountains. There are 26 tunnels along the parkway and 25 of them are in North Carolina. This is also where you cross the highest point on the parkway. The roads through this section start to get a little more dangerous and my progress starts to slow as I get stuck behind traffic. There was actually a group of motorcycles that were holding up the cagers for a while. They must have had a newer rider with them because they were crawling through some of the turns. After a while they pull off and the road is clear ahead, but then it starts to rain.

I pull off to put on my rain suit and then get back on the road. The rain starts as a light drizzle then turns to a downpour. The fog start to roll in as I get higher into the mountains and visibility is getting bad. I pull off at a ranger station to let the rain die down and look for a closer place to camp. It's about 3:30 p.m. now and I realize that I'm not going to make it to the kickstand lodge tonight.

The ranger tells me that there are some places to camp in Asheville, which is about 20 miles ahead. The rain starts to clear and I head to Asheville. When I get there I get out my phone and search for places to camp. I wasn't getting a great "feel" about Asheville and the one nice campground I found wanted $31 a night +tax. I had just spent $15 the night before, no way was I gonna pay twice that.

Plus the sky was still clear and looked like it should stay that way for a while. It was only about 4:30 and Mt. Pisgah campground was only about 30 miles further. So I got back on the road and headed to Pisgah. The rain holds off and I make it there with no problems. I take a few pictures at almost 5,000 ft, the highest altitude of my trip yet.

Old May 15th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #29
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
I didn't make it to Mt. Pisgah campground that night though. I had kind of planned on staying in a hotel for one night of my trip, and it just so happens that there is one on Pisgah. It's a pretty fancy place, but I can't think of any hotel that I would have rather stayed in. Plus they had a restaurant.

I go into the lobby and ask about a room. They tell me it's $130 a night, and I take a step back in shock. The view, even from the lobby was stunning though, and I didn't really know if I was very well prepared for a cold/rainy night of camping in the mountains. At least I got them to come down some on the price.

They show me where my room is and hand me the keys. I unload the gear from my bike, throw the tarp over it, and secure it with some bungees and zip-ties. I go into my room, throw my stuff on the floor, and put the beer that I had bought earlier in Blowing Rock in the fridge. Then I stepped out onto the balcony and took a picture of my view for the night.

I get a hot shower and put on some clean clothes, then head over to the restaurant for some dinner. My meal that night was rolls, salad, and alfredo pasta with a shrimp skewer, along with a couple of local craft brews. The meal was actually reasonably priced, although the pasta was about the least expensive entree on the menu.

I couldn't finish all of my dinner, cause the plate of pasta was huge, so I had the waiter box up the rest and I headed back to my room. I took my now cold beer out of the fridge, poured some in a glass, and enjoyed the view from the balcony as I drank it. I was kind of feeling like a wuss for not camping that night, but it was nice to be able to sleep in a warm bed. Plus I should be well rested for the day tomorrow.

Before I go to bed a friend calls me to talk about the NFL draft. I tell him that I'm in North Carolina and that I hadn't watched any t.v. in the past 4 days. He says he's jealous and informs me of what I've missed, then wishes me good luck on the rest of my trip, and that he'll see me at rock on the range.

Last futzed with by ninjamunky85; May 15th, 2014 at 01:54 PM.

Old May 15th, 2014, 09:21 AM   #30
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I know time is tough when traveling, and the ride is the adventure, but Blowing Rock is actually a real cool place (the rock itself). Massive updrafts with a spectacular view.

Old May 15th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #31
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

Motivation! Keep the pics and stories coming!

Old May 15th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #32
audi
ninjette.org member

Name: Audi

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R

Enjoying the story, looking forward to the next installment...sounds like a great trip so far!

Audi
audi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #33
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Day five: I sleep in a little this morning, and don't get out of bed until 9:00 a.m. I get dressed and take a short hike along one of the many trails in the area. As I walk along and enjoy the view I think about my day ahead. More rain is predicted, but I'm also learning that the weather is unpredictable in the mountains. I have to check out of the hotel by 11:00 regardless, so when I get back from my hike I pack up my stuff and get ready to hit the road, and check out around 10:00. My only goal today is to just make it to the kickstand. It's not a lot of miles to cover, but if it rains all day, then it won't be easy.

It's a little cold on this morning and I put on my rain jacket to help keep me warm. For the first part of my ride the weather stays dry, but it's still a dreary/cloudy morning. I cross over the highest point on the parkway, and get another tourist to take my picture.

I was glad to have crossed the highest point, and knew that I didn't have much further to go on the Blue Ridge. Not long after that however it starts to rain again. I pull over to put on my rain pants. I continue on the parkway, but the rain gets worse, then the fog start to form. The fog gets really thick on this morning, at one point visibility was only about 20ft. These conditions would be dangerous on any road, but on a winding mountain road it was too much to continue.

Great Smoky campground was still 20 miles away. That was too far at the moment, but I saw a sign for another campground at the next junction about a mile away. I make it to the campground, but it appears to be abandoned (I guess that it wasn't but it sure looked like it). I throw my tarp over the ninja and hunker down next to a boarded up building.

As I stand there under the overhang of this boarded up bathroom I decide that if you go looking for adventure, it will find you. And that you'd better be prepared... I was glad to have a good rain jacket on that day.

Old May 16th, 2014, 06:27 AM   #34
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Name: Garrett

Motorcycle(s): ZX-3R (ok, ex300)

super jealous that you get to ride there, that's gorgeous country.. we like to vacation in tennessee in the smokies.. all of that appalachian mountain area is beautiful..
GHill762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2014, 07:02 AM   #35
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
As I stand there and watch the rain, I occasionally peek my head around the corner to make sure that my tarp hasn't blown away. There's nothing that I can do but just wait it out. I end up staying there for about two hours.

Once the rain dies down and the fog starts to clear I fold up my tarp and go on my way. The rest of my ride on the parkway stays dry and I make it to the end with no more delays. I stop in Cherokee to get gas and to look at the map. The sun is starting to shine at this point and I'm glad to be able to take off my rain gear.

On my way to kickstand lodge I stop in Bryson City for some lunch. While in bryson I pass by a liquor store. I'm carrying two empty flasks at this point so I turn around and stop to get something to fill them with.

I make it to the kickstand lodge not long after that. When I get there the owner "Mo" is working in the flower garden. Yes, that's right, a motorcycle only campground with a flower garden. She stops to ask me if I'm staying there for the night and I say yes. She then introduces herself and I tell her about my journey. She tells me to pick a campsite and asks me if I'm doing any more riding that day. I tell her I'm not sure, it had already been a long day, and right now I just wanted to get my wet boots off.

I pick a campsite, get comfortable, and set up my tent. Then I go and introduce myself to the other people there. Mo's husband "Bobby" and another camper staying there that went by the name "Uncle Jim". It doesn't take long to feel like I'm part of the family here, and I'm glad to be staying at the kickstand.

After relaxing for a while, I decide to go for another short ride. I am right in the middle of some of the countries best roads after all. It's only a little after 5:00 p.m. at this point, and the rain is long gone. Before I leave Uncle Jim tells me not to eat any dinner when I'm gone because Mo and Bobby went to get catfish for dinner. I smile and say ok, then hit the road.

I didn't know where I was really, but there was only one road to take from the campground. I could go left or right, and I came from the left, so I turned right. As I found out this took me up a fun little mountain road towards Fontana dam. Before I get there I stop at an overlook and snap a pic.

My friends have told me that this is a picture you should see on a postcard or something.

In just a few hours I had went from the low of being hunkered down under the roof of a boarded up bathroom waiting out the rain, to the high of being on one of the most exciting roads with one of the best views of my trip. This, it seems, is life on the road of a motorcycle adventurer.

Old May 16th, 2014, 07:09 AM   #36
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Hopefully members from west of the Mississippi aren't reading this and looking at the lush beauty of the eastern US. We don't need more congestion here from them westerns. They can keep their brown dirty landscape.

Old May 17th, 2014, 06:12 AM   #37
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Once I get back from my ride I go to the fridge and grab a beer. While staying at the kickstand I had full fridge access, they just ask that you leave a donation for whatever you take. I sit down and drink a beer with Jim He tells me a little about the history of kickstand lodge, and then about some of the roads that I should hit while I'm down here.

When Mo and Bobby get back they cook supper, along with Jim's help. Our meal that night was fried catfish, salad with Bobby's homemade dressing, baked potatoes, rolls, and fried okra. Bobby was originally from Louisiana, and he knew how to cook. I made a huge plate of food, but somehow I managed to eat it all. I'd take an honest meal like this any day over the fancy meals at the restaurant I ate at the night before.

After supper another thing happened that I would have never expected on my trip. I washed dishes! I was told after our meal that it is tradition that the newbie at the kickstand washes the dishes after supper. I laughed, and gladly went to washing all the dishes. After a meal like that I was happy to do my part. These were the kind of things that made me really feel like family for my short stay at the kickstand.

A few more drinks are consumed, and more stories shared that night. I don't stay up too late though. I want to be well rested for tomorrow. Tomorrow will be the biggest reason for my journey. A whole day with nowhere to go. Just a day to ride some of the legendary roads that I had only heard about from others up until this point... Tomorrow is the day that I will ride the Dragon, and the weather is supposed to be a beautiful 80 degrees and sunny with no chance of rain.

Kickstand Lodge

Old May 17th, 2014, 09:17 AM   #38
squirrelystar
ninjette.org member

Name: Victoria

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Awesome story and pictures! Reading about your adventure is getting me excited for mine. I plan on taking a road trip like this in a month, only minus the camping. Have fun at Deal's Gap! (:
squirrelystar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #39
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

@ninjamunky85

Thanks for taking time to post all of this!

Old May 17th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #40
Kruse08
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 99 Ninja 250

This is an awesome story and epic journey. I have seen the Blue Ridge Parkway and driven on those roads when I downhill skateboarded. Amazing views and breath taking roads. I hope you have a blast and the time of your life. Ride safe and I hope to plan a trip like this soon with a few friends.
Kruse08 is offline   Reply With Quote