ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:59 AM   #1
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled), 2007 Yamaha R6(Sold), 2013 Ninja 300 Special Edition W/O ABS

R6

So I ended up getting the R6..

Handles nice, power is there, not as comfortable as the ninja 250 but you get used to it

It's a 2007 model
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R6.JPG (134.1 KB, 70 views)
robertkh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

Such a nice bike, too bad history will more than likely repeat itself.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:03 PM   #3
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

take her on the freeway yet?
iplante is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:06 PM   #4
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled), 2007 Yamaha R6(Sold), 2013 Ninja 300 Special Edition W/O ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
Such a nice bike, too bad history will more than likely repeat itself.
good one, thanks anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by iplante View Post
take her on the freeway yet?
not yet, riding with a permit

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:16 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Those suckers are really aggressive. Your wrists killing you yet? Be very smooth. Its not going to be as forgiving as the 250 through turns, but once you get it settled and balanced, it will feel planted an absolutely rocket out of the turns.

Remember, slow in and fast out. You can't just whip it over into turns as late and hot as the 250. Its a whole new style of riding that's also very rewarding if you get it right. Get it out on the track asap!! That bike is a monster and will always feel bored around town. Gotta let it stretch its legs once in a while

You've taken a lot of crap in your last thread. I'm sure you're going to take more crap here, so I've kept this as constructive as possible before this thread blows up. Bottom line, take it easy, ride within your limits, and take every opportunity to learn something from your riding. With focus and the right instruction, you'll grow in skill very quickly. Just remember to stay in your limits because things can get bad quickly when you don't.
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:18 PM   #6
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

When I had an R6 I found it too high strung and the ergo's are really not meant for the street.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:19 PM   #7
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

while thats a terrible beginner bike I have two friends that those were their first bike and they are still alive. One doesnt wear gear either... Hopefully youll have as good as luck as them.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:20 PM   #8
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Those suckers are really aggressive. Your wrists killing you yet? Be very smooth. Its not going to be as forgiving as the 250 through turns, but once you get it settled and balanced, it will feel planted an absolutely rocket out of the turns.

Remember, slow in and fast out. You can't just whip it over into turns as late and hot as the 250. Its a whole new style of riding that's also very rewarding if you get it right. Get it out on the track asap!! That bike is a monster and will always feel bored around town. Gotta let it stretch its legs once in a while

You've taken a lot of crap in your last thread. I'm sure you're going to take more crap here, so I've kept this as constructive as possible before this thread blows up. Bottom line, take it easy, ride within your limits, and take every opportunity to learn something from your riding. With focus and the right instruction, you'll grow in skill very quickly. Just remember to stay in your limits because things can get back quickly when you don't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hell yeah my wrists are killing me lol. It's definitely not as bad as yesterday though, I got used to it a bit. It's pretty good on the turns and it's not as mean as it seems to be. Once you get comfortable it's a smooth ride. Thanks for replying and I'll make sure I don't get too confident on it.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:22 PM   #9
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
while thats a terrible beginner bike I have two friends that those were their first bike and they are still alive. One doesnt wear gear either... Hopefully youll have as good as luck as them.
Right now I wear all my gear besides boots, although I ordered a pair and they should be here soon.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:34 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
look kid, im normally a nice person. but you made a stupid decision. dont be stupid with the bike or it will kill you. an r6 is not a toy by any sense of the word. it is a tool, like a chainsaw. or a scalpel. if you want to try to juggle it, you are going to drop it and cut your head off. so dont be stupid with it. respect it and it will respect you. disrespect it and it will quite literally kill you in an instant. seeing a 15 year old rider with only a few weeks experience and already one crash under his belt buying an r6 because he thinks its cool is about as close to a death sentence as you can get. so prove people wrong, kid. dont die

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:35 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
side note- if your wrists hurt it means you are riding incorrectly by putting weight on the bars. that means if you hit a bump the wrong way your weight will turn the throttle, stepping out the rear sending you over the bars. you shoould have learned that riding the 250. just hope you learn it before it kills you on the r6.

maybe consider selling the r6.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:39 PM   #12
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
look kid, im normally a nice person. but you made a stupid decision. dont be stupid with the bike or it will kill you. an r6 is not a toy by any sense of the word. it is a tool, like a chainsaw. or a scalpel. if you want to try to juggle it, you are going to drop it and cut your head off. so dont be stupid with it. respect it and it will respect you. disrespect it and it will quite literally kill you in an instant. seeing a 15 year old rider with only a few weeks experience and already one crash under his belt buying an r6 because he thinks its cool is about as close to a death sentence as you can get. so prove people wrong, kid. dont die
Yeah you got it pretty right, this bike can be and is very dangerous if you ride like an asshole. I'll try my best not to die haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
side note- if your wrists hurt it means you are riding incorrectly by putting weight on the bars. that means if you hit a bump the wrong way your weight will turn the throttle, stepping out the rear sending you over the bars. you shoould have learned that riding the 250. just hope you learn it before it kills you on the r6.

maybe consider selling the r6.
I don't put my weight on the bars, it only hurt the first day because of the bikes uncomfortable riding position. It's much better now and I have already gone over huge bumps no problem. I learned this from The Twist Of The Wrist movie. Thanks though, and I'm pretty sure I'll have this bike for a couple years.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:57 PM   #13
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

No matter what anyone says to this young boy he won't change his mind. Ignorance is bliss, and in the case of riding motorcycles a death sentence like you said Alex. All we can do is hope he stay in or under the speed limit until he has months of practice on this bike, I wouldn't be so concerned if he was an informed adult with more than a permit. But seeing as this is someone's pride and joy that came to our community the least we can do is try to give him a bit of advice no matter how thick his skull is.

Robert,

We aren't trying to be mean, bash on you, or whatever other thoughts you may have. We just don't want to see somebody get hurt that doesn't have to. You want an r6? That's great, get an R6. Was it a good choice to step up to it after totaling a beginner bike that you barely rode on a permit license that you still have? Probably not. But, that being said you could still pull it off and prove us all wrong. Be safe, wear your gear, pay attention to EVERYTHING on the road, don't go faster than the posted limit, enter your turns slow and we won't have to worry about seeing you in the obituary section of the papers and your parents trying to salvage your bike on craigslist.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:57 PM   #14
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

what alex.s said... not a good decision but just take it slow and respect it and you'll be alright. Same thing I told my friend who bought a gsxr 750.. brand new 2011 last year and crashed it within a couple months
toua70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:58 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nice Raven! Gratz!

If it's stock it's kinda doggish in the low rpm range and shouldn't step out/wheelie or do as much crazy instant stuff like other SS bikes. There are 2 areas you will have to get used to;

Throttle control in general. When compared to the 2fiddy, this bike will throw you wide under heavy throttle. Respect it until you can handle it!

The bikes peaky design. especially when you hit 6k and 10k rpms. This is where your gunna feel a kick in the ass. The bike will "come alive" a lot like its Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Any throttle movements after 10k rpm will be BEAST!

Trust yo, if your wrists hurt it's because you were not gripping tight enough with your legs supporting your body weight. Most of the time when I ride, my fingers aren't even wrapped all the way around the grips. I do it on the R6 and you can too.

Keep it out of "beast mode" until your ready, because it WILL bite you and if the bike is unhappy (unsettled) it will not think twice about standing up and throwing you over the bars.

Good luck man, I wish you the best and ride safely.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:01 PM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Oh! Get some tank sliders too. So it don't become a fireball if slid down the road.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:01 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I want your parents to adopt me
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:07 PM   #18
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

We need a like function on this forum just so i can follow jiggles around and like all his posts.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:08 PM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Time for mods!!!!!

1st mod - get those boots to complete you gear set
2nd mod - enroll in another training class or find a mentor to help you along the way
3rd mod - get suspension set for you weight, you will need as much rubber on the road as possible at all times

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:12 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
We need a like function on this forum just so i can follow jiggles around and like all his posts.
I suggested this to alex with a lengthy argument and concrete facts. His reply?

No.

QQ
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:21 PM   #21
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
No matter what anyone says to this young boy he won't change his mind. Ignorance is bliss, and in the case of riding motorcycles a death sentence like you said Alex. All we can do is hope he stay in or under the speed limit until he has months of practice on this bike, I wouldn't be so concerned if he was an informed adult with more than a permit. But seeing as this is someone's pride and joy that came to our community the least we can do is try to give him a bit of advice no matter how thick his skull is.

Robert,

We aren't trying to be mean, bash on you, or whatever other thoughts you may have. We just don't want to see somebody get hurt that doesn't have to. You want an r6? That's great, get an R6. Was it a good choice to step up to it after totaling a beginner bike that you barely rode on a permit license that you still have? Probably not. But, that being said you could still pull it off and prove us all wrong. Be safe, wear your gear, pay attention to EVERYTHING on the road, don't go faster than the posted limit, enter your turns slow and we won't have to worry about seeing you in the obituary section of the papers and your parents trying to salvage your bike on craigslist.
I know you guys aren't trying to be mean and I can blame the other teenagers for making you guys think im an asshole that thinks the road is my track. I'm not like that at all, I don't even lane split and that's legal in Cali. I wear all my gear and always try my best to ride safe. thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Oh! Get some tank sliders too. So it don't become a fireball if slid down the road.
Alright, I'll see if the shop I go to has them or if not maybe you can recommend one online?

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:24 PM   #22
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Nice Raven! Gratz!

If it's stock it's kinda doggish in the low rpm range and shouldn't step out/wheelie or do as much crazy instant stuff like other SS bikes. There are 2 areas you will have to get used to;

Throttle control in general. When compared to the 2fiddy, this bike will throw you wide under heavy throttle. Respect it until you can handle it!

The bikes peaky design. especially when you hit 6k and 10k rpms. This is where your gunna feel a kick in the ass. The bike will "come alive" a lot like its Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Any throttle movements after 10k rpm will be BEAST!

Trust yo, if your wrists hurt it's because you were not gripping tight enough with your legs supporting your body weight. Most of the time when I ride, my fingers aren't even wrapped all the way around the grips. I do it on the R6 and you can too.

Keep it out of "beast mode" until your ready, because it WILL bite you and if the bike is unhappy (unsettled) it will not think twice about standing up and throwing you over the bars.

Good luck man, I wish you the best and ride safely.
thanks! Dude, I don't even mess with the power of this bike. I shift before I hit 7-8k rpms lol. I usually don't go faster than 40 on the streets I ride on anyway.
Quote:
Time for mods!!!!!

1st mod - get those boots to complete you gear set
2nd mod - enroll in another training class or find a mentor to help you along the way
3rd mod - get suspension set for you weight, you will need as much rubber on the road as possible at all times
Boots are on their way, going to take the experienced rider course after I come back from vacation, and I'll ask my dealer about the suspension.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:30 PM   #23
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

Thumbs up

Nice bike! Congrats!

Just keep both tyres on the pavement and dont let the power get to your head. It happens in an instant and you won't even realize.

Good luck and ride safe.
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:31 PM   #24
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirubhaiambani View Post
Nice bike! Congrats!

Just keep both tyres on the pavement and dont let the power get to your head. It happens in an instant and you won't even realize.

Good luck and ride safe.
thanks you too

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:34 PM   #25
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

There are 2 kinds - a tank cover and a puck

Cover - http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/R6G.HTML

Puck - http://www.traxxion.com/r6tanksliders.aspx

Another thing - the tank side fairings as seen here

Get some extra velcro tape to hold them on. Ask me how I know.... mine are gone. One fell off on track, other fell off on some back road.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:47 PM   #26
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
There are 2 kinds - a tank cover and a puck

Cover - http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/R6G.HTML

Puck - http://www.traxxion.com/r6tanksliders.aspx

Another thing - the tank side fairings as seen here

Get some extra velcro tape to hold them on. Ask me how I know.... mine are gone. One fell off on track, other fell off on some back road.
If I do get them I will most likely get the puck, but it seems like it's more for racing than anything? And I don't see how the hell you managed to get the tank side fairings to come off haha

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:51 PM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Naw, it's because of the design of the tank. There is a large lip that extends outward, plus the metal is thin in that area and subject to scraping a hole in the tank as it slides on pavement (track or street).

As for the side fairings... remember what I said about gripping with your legs?

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:54 PM   #28
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Grip

h
a
r
d
!

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:54 PM   #29
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

how much is the full coverage policy on the r6?
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:57 PM   #30
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
how much is the full coverage policy on the r6?
2k, ninja 250 was 1.2

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:59 PM   #31
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

$586yr for me. 38yrs old, in KY with State Farm, couple of dings on record.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:06 PM   #32
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I suggested this to alex with a lengthy argument and concrete facts. His reply?

No.

QQ
quiet you!

Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:08 PM   #33
lgk

Quote:
First year rider one wreck, $785/yr full coverage.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:09 PM   #34
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
My accident only made it go up by about 20 dollars. Main reason why it's so high is obviously age and little experience

Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:09 PM   #35
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
First year rider one wreck, $785/yr full coverage.
At fault or no?

Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:11 PM   #36
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkh100 View Post
At fault or no?
i was found at fault and the bike was totalled

Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:13 PM   #37
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Here's a little story just to give you an idea of the trouble this bike could potentially get you into... I know you said you don't normally go faster than 40 mph, but I'll say it anyways. A guy died in a single vehicle motorcycle accident a week before he was supposed to graduate from college. I never really knew the guy too well, but had met him once or twice at parties. I'm not sure what bike it was, but I do know for sure that it was a supersport. Anyways, he had a drink or two at a party and was slightly buzzed. Got angry about something and hopped on his bike with no gear, not even a helmet, to go for a ride and cool off. He was reportedly going around 100 mph on a straight road when he noticed a gate at the end that is normally opened was closed. Seeing this he tried to stop, but was not able to in time and low sided.

The resulting crash and slide on the unforgiving asphalt into the gate ripped an arm and a leg completely from his body. He laid there, still conscious, in the street for several minutes before people from the party, who had heard the crash, arrived on the scene and called an ambulance. His best friend as well as fraternity brother, an EMT, was at the party and immediately tied tourniquets on what was left of the man's leg and arm to try and stop the bleeding. He then began performing CPR. Unfortunately the injuries sustained in the crash were too great and the man bled out and died right there in the street before the ambulance arrived. His friend the EMT then expressed the sadness all EMTs feel when they lose someone in their care. But... after checking the mans wallet for identification he went from sad to completely inconsolable and in shock.

The crash had been so bad and the road and its hazards so unforgiving that the man had become disfigured beyond recognition. Beyond recognition by his best %$^#ing friend and fraternity brother, someone who saw him every single day and had just seen him a half hour prior.

Robert, please respect the bike and please be careful so that you don't meet a similar fate. Not only would you die, but a little part of your parents, friends, best friends, siblings, etc would die along with you.
I'm not saying that you are going to drink and ride, or ride with no gear. I'm not saying that you're going to go 100 mph on public roads or that you couldn't have done that on your Ninja 250r. What I am saying is that on the R6 speed comes easy. You can go over 75 mph in 1st gear and as a 15 year old with almost no motorcycle experience or road experience and already one accident (regardless of fault), it would be extremely easy to get carried away. The R6 is a powerful bike that commands respect.

Nobody wants to see someone so young lose their life. So please don't. There are people behind the statistics, don't let stories like the one I just shared with you be in vain.

Also, you should consider lane splitting at red lights when cars are completely stopped. That way you put cages between you and potential rear enders. And as a bonus you get where you're going faster.
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:13 PM   #38
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
at fault
Wow, if I was at fault my insurance would go up by 2k+ lol.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:18 PM   #39
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkh100 View Post
Wow, if I was at fault my insurance would go up by 2k+ lol.
i just played my cards right... and it went up $50

you dodged a bullet there, that could have been an additional $30000 down the drain.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:19 PM   #40
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELY1990 View Post
Here's a little story just to give you an idea of the trouble this bike could potentially get you into... I know you said you don't normally go faster than 40 mph, but I'll say it anyways. A guy died in a single vehicle motorcycle accident a week before he was supposed to graduate from college. I never really knew the guy too well, but had met him once or twice at parties. I'm not sure what bike it was, but I do know for sure that it was a supersport. Anyways, he had a drink or two at a party and was slightly buzzed. Got angry about something and hopped on his bike with no gear, not even a helmet, to go for a ride and cool off. He was reportedly going around 100 mph on a straight road when he noticed a gate at the end that is normally opened was closed. Seeing this he tried to stop, but was not able to in time and low sided.

The resulting crash and slide on the unforgiving asphalt into the gate ripped an arm and a leg completely from his body. He laid there, still conscious, in the street for several minutes before people from the party, who had heard the crash, arrived on the scene and called an ambulance. His best friend as well as fraternity brother, an EMT, was at the party and immediately tied tourniquets on what was left of the man's leg and arm to try and stop the bleeding. He then began performing CPR. Unfortunately the injuries sustained in the crash were too great and the man bled out and died right there in the street before the ambulance arrived. His friend the EMT then expressed the sadness all EMTs feel when they lose someone in their care. But... after checking the mans wallet for identification he went from sad to completely inconsolable and in shock.

The crash had been so bad and the road and its hazards so unforgiving that the man had become disfigured beyond recognition. Beyond recognition by his best %$^#ing friend and fraternity brother, someone who saw him every single day and had just seen him a half hour prior.

Robert, please respect the bike and please be careful so that you don't meet a similar fate. Not only would you die, but a little part of your parents, friends, best friends, siblings, etc would die along with you.
I'm not saying that you are going to drink and ride, or ride with no gear. I'm not saying that you're going to go 100 mph on public roads or that you couldn't have done that on your Ninja 250r. What I am saying is that on the R6 speed comes easy. You can go over 75 mph in 1st gear and as a 15 year old with almost no motorcycle experience or road experience and already one accident (regardless of fault), it would be extremely easy to get carried away. The R6 is a powerful bike that commands respect.

Nobody wants to see someone so young lose their life. So please don't. There are people behind the statistics, don't let stories like the one I just shared with you be in vain.

Also, you should consider lane splitting at red lights when cars are completely stopped. That way you put cages between you and potential rear enders. And as a bonus you get where you're going faster.
Wow man, that's tough. Appreciate you taking the time to write all that just to help me out. It is VERY easy to get carried away on the R6 because going anything under 50, you might as well be not moving. I do lane split at red lights when cars are stopped but only then. Thanks again