ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #1
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Name: OC

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

Describe a smooth shift

Ok guys, interested to hear your opinion. What do you consider a smooth shift? I am not talking about the technique in itself as I believe I got a fairly good grip on that, but rather just like to get a feel what you guys consider smooth.

As background, I have been back on two wheels for about 10 months now (after about 20 years away) and have put 3500 miles on the Ninjette and 3000 miles on the Ducati Monster 696, so I definitely still consider myself a newb. That said, while certainly not perfect, I would consider my shifting much improved (most of the time at least ) compared to when I started back out. No signfincant jerking or launching forward. What I do notice however, and especially when I can watch my headlight reflecting in a car ahead of me, is that the front does dip a bit when I shift. Not a whole lot, but noticeable.

So my question to more experienced riders here; what do you consider smooth? Are you guys able to shift without changing load on the front at all, or is just the nature of shifting that there always will be that little amount of a dip?

Again, I would not consider my current shiftin to be an issue when I ride and I know that it can only get better with more miles and practice, just trying to understand what the ideal shift feels like to you guys.

Cheers!
OCMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #2
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

btw; as I was doing some research on this topic, I came across this, which I thought was a pretty cool demo of how a bike transmission works:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/transmission.htm

Old June 13th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMagnum View Post
...........What do you consider a smooth shift?............So my question to more experienced riders here; what do you consider smooth?
Something that feels like this:
. _ .

Quote:
.......................What I do notice however, and especially when I can watch my headlight reflecting in a car ahead of me, is that the front does dip a bit when I shift. Not a whole lot, but noticeable.
Are you guys able to shift without changing load on the front at all, or is just the nature of shifting that there always will be that little amount of a dip?
I would say that little pitch change is normal each time that the mass of the bike goes from being accelerated (tensioned chain) to being decelerated (relaxed chain and wind and road friction taking over) to being accelerated (maybe harder by a new gear combination).

The time of that deceleration is what racers try to minimize, keeping the forward momentum of the bike as constant as possible.
In that pursuit, they use clutch-less shifting (up and down).

For street riding, smoothly using the clutch and timing the next couple of gears have worked well for me.

Last futzed with by Motofool; June 13th, 2013 at 10:34 AM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
brrrrrrrm,brrrrrrrm

Old June 13th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #5
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Butter.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

When shifting on the street, the goal for me is no jerkiness. Smooth engagement either upshifting or downshifting, without upsetting the bike. But if you're accelerating reasonable swiftly, the shift is going to pause that acceleration for a fraction of a second no matter how smooth you are, and the bike weight distribution will come forward a bit. The softer the suspension, both front and rear, the more noticeable that shift will be.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^ Alex knows what's up. If your front dives more than you are comfortable with maybe you should have your suspension set to your weight. Your duck should have all the adjustments required to set it to your liking assuming your fully geared weight is within the params of your equipment.

Also, it's the best mod that can ever be done to effect the rideability of your bike. It can be fairly cheap too. Like at a track day, even if you don't ride the track you can still visit the suspension tech that is there for the day. Make sure you get his shop info too.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
upshift feels like somebody tapped the back of your chair

down shift feels like somebody tapped the bottom of your shoes.

Old June 13th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #9
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Name: Robenson

Motorcycle(s): 05 F4i....

Quote:
Ok guys, interested to hear your opinion. What do you consider a smooth shift? I am not talking about the technique in itself as I believe I got a fairly good grip on that, but rather just like to get a feel what you guys consider smooth.

As background, I have been back on two wheels for about 10 months now (after about 20 years away) and have put 3500 miles on the Ninjette and 3000 miles on the Ducati Monster 696, so I definitely still consider myself a newb. That said, while certainly not perfect, I would consider my shifting much improved (most of the time at least ) compared to when I started back out. No signfincant jerking or launching forward. What I do notice however, and especially when I can watch my headlight reflecting in a car ahead of me, is that the front does dip a bit when I shift. Not a whole lot, but noticeable.

So my question to more experienced riders here; what do you consider smooth? Are you guys able to shift without changing load on the front at all, or is just the nature of shifting that there always will be that little amount of a dip?

Again, I would not consider my current shiftin to be an issue when I ride and I know that it can only get better with more miles and practice, just trying to understand what the ideal shift feels like to you guys.

Cheers!

I have the same question also... I've just started doing everything extra smooth about 2 months ago, including shifting.. when I upshift from any other gear it feels really smooth, but from first to second gear especially from a dead stop I can hear the clanking sound... ninjette riders, has the transition from 1st to 2nd gear always this rocky? or is just me..?
RJprod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #10
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Some excellent explanations; you guys truly rock! Plus it sounds as if my shifting is not too bad in the grand scheme of things, so yeah to me too

Old June 13th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #11
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJprod View Post
... ninjette riders, has the transition from 1st to 2nd gear always this rocky? or is just me..?
Probably, but not as bad a N to 1st.

EDIT: My bad, I didn't really read the whole question. I was only referring to putting the transmission into gear.... the part that requires no skill or feel.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #12
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

mmmm mmmmm mmmmm waaaa waaaa waaaa. Repeat.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 15th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #13
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14

Link to original page on YouTube.

allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote