ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 29th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #1
caineroad
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja SE

Powering heated stuffs with stock battery?

Hi,

I'm looking to buy some venture heated clothing for the winter, and it looks like the Ninja has a mere 80-100W of usable excess wattage, do I need to upgrade the stock battery to a better one to support the higher load? The heated jacket alone is 83W from venture, not including pants, gloves, etc.

Thanks
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I'm subbing to this since I'll have the same question before too long. I'm probably pushing the limits of the available power with what I have plugged in and there's still a few toys/gear/farkles I want.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Upgrading the battery won't really do much. If you're using more wattage than the bike's charging system can put out, the drain will eventually result in a dead battery, no matter how powerful it starts out.

That said, you can run it at a deficit for short periods, as long as you understand that it needs to be turned down soon after to build the charge back up safely. Even if the jacket takes 83 watts at full bore, make sure that there is a thermostat on it so you can control how many watts it actually uses. My gerbing is 77 watts I believe, but I only have it on full blast for a few minutes before dialing it down quite a bit, even in the coldest weather.

More info here: DIY - What Electrical Items Can be Used and Not Overload the Battery?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote