ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old February 19th, 2015, 08:39 AM   #1
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Dual sports, I'm torn!

It looks like ill be adding a dual sport to the stable soon, but im a bit torn right now. My budget is 4k, so no KTM or huskys. Ive been trying to find a honda crf250L since id like FI, but they dont come up very often used, and new they are around 5,000.

Ive found both the KLX250S and KLX250SF (sumo), i can put dirt tires on the sumo, and i like the way it looks a little more. Ive read up on it, but i dont know how dual sporty it will be if i do that. Ill be on mostly logging trails and what not, not doing supercross. the S i can find around 3500, the SF i see is 4000, and has like 11k miles (i havent tried talking them down). The S is newer and has 1k miles.

I havent taken any of them for a ride, and i would plan on throwing the BB kit in either bike (honda included). And no i dont want a drz400, or a yamaha. Im pretty picky with this stuff, so between those 3 options, what would you guys pick?

Ill be using this to commute SOMETIMES (like 500 miles a year, and then prob on the highway between the trails i would ride) If im lucky the bike might see 2,000 miles a year honestly.

I could get a KLR650 for the same price, but i dont want that big of a bike, i like how these are all 300lbs or less.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
hmmm you should get a dz400 or a Yamaha for sure

If I were you I might be inclined to hunt around for a KTM, husky of berg enduro bike that comes kitted with lights and tach stock. They can typically be street titled pretty easily and might be able to find one closer to your budget point.

The trick though is finding a used one where the owner kept all the stock light kits and wiring on the bike

one in my area but a little bit out of your price range, but gives you an idea
http://pennstate.craigslist.org/snw/4888536656.html

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Last futzed with by subxero; February 20th, 2015 at 07:37 AM.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I have a CRF250L, and like it well enough. But any of these 250 singles are going to be particularly weak on the road. The CRF is supposed to be on the high end compared to the KLX's, and it still strains to get to 75 mph (actual) pretty much flat-out in anything other than perfect conditions. Upping the performance means killing the fuel economy / range, which is already well under 100 miles for me (80 - 85 miles / tank).

For my next offroad bike, I'll likely be looking for either a pure offroader (40 - 60 pounds lighter, more aggressive engine), or a larger dual-sport (Husky 501, KTM 500 EXC, etc.). The CRF is a bit of a compromise in both areas.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2015, 11:33 AM   #4
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I have a CRF250L, and like it well enough. But any of these 250 singles are going to be particularly weak on the road. The CRF is supposed to be on the high end compared to the KLX's, and it still strains to get to 75 mph (actual) pretty much flat-out in anything other than perfect conditions. Upping the performance means killing the fuel economy / range, which is already well under 100 miles for me (80 - 85 miles / tank).

For my next offroad bike, I'll likely be looking for either a pure offroader (40 - 60 pounds lighter, more aggressive engine), or a larger dual-sport (Husky 501, KTM 500 EXC, etc.). The CRF is a bit of a compromise in both areas.
I hear you on the range, ill more than likely outfit mine with either a larger tank or carry 1 or 2 gallons extra. I know its a compromise bike, but since i wont be using it a ton i dont mind. 70mph is fine with me, its not long interstate rides between the area i have in mind. Maybe 10 miles. I was hoping you would chime in on the crf, too bad its just hard to find them still for much less than msrp.

Old February 19th, 2015, 01:26 PM   #5
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

@Bigballsofpaint Mmmm. Well I own a KLX250SF. I bought it used in 2012 with only 1200 miles for $3,200. Had been down once but no major damage. Just scratches. For your purposes I'd say go either the KLXS or the CRF. Not the SF. Not because it's a bad bike but for your purposes it doesn't make sense.

Finding offroad tires for the SF isn't easy. And you'll be very limited in choices. Plus they would suck offroad. And the suspension is stiffer and lower than the dual sport version. And the large front brake rotor could get damaged easier if you do more serious offroading. For those reasons I'd not recommend the SF.

I'd like to eventually get a BB kit for my SF but it's still a fun bike as a 250. You just need to jet it and get a pipe. It's very restricted from the factory. It can cruise at 75 all day but it won't be fun. The top speed on my KLX is around 87 mph. That being said, it seems quicker than a ninja 250 from 0-50ish mph. And much more fun around town than a Ninja 250. Range is a little over 100 miles on a tank. It's only a 2 gallon tank but that doesn't bother me. I only ride this bike around town and there is always a gas station within distance.

I have no experience with the CRF250L but I've read they are decent bikes. The FI would be nice. Although some people prefer the simplicity of carbs for dual sporting. Mainly just lacking in the suspension dept.

The WR250R would be the best 250cc bike but they are hard to find and nearly impossible to find for $4k. That has been my experience at least.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #6
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I road a TW200 in Aruba and it was a blast! It went about 65 on the road and it handled the dirt pretty well! Also it's only like $4k brand new and you can find used ones for like $2,000 in good condition...

(not me in the picture)

According to this site it also gets 80mpg which is crazy
http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/models/tw200

P.S I would say it was lacking a little bit on the road but it wasn't terrible. just a tad slower than a ninja 250

Old February 19th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Bigballsofpaint

I think by law to ride on the interstate you need a minimum of 250cc, so thats why im looking at the 250's

There a 2013 KLX250S a couple hours from me at a dealer with under 1,000 miles, if i can snag it for 3,500 i may go with that. Unless i can call a somewhat local dealer and haggle on the crf250L, but that may be a bit harder. THe klx i can bore up to 350, the crf has a 305 bb kit.

Old February 19th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
I road a TW200 in Aruba and it was a blast! It went about 65 on the road and it handled the dirt pretty well! Also it's only like $4k brand new and you can find used ones for like $2,000 in good condition...

(not me in the picture)

According to this site it also gets 80mpg which is crazy
http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/models/tw200

P.S I would say it was lacking a little bit on the road but it wasn't terrible. just a tad slower than a ninja 250
I always thought a TW would be fun in the snow. I've owned an older XL250R with knobbies, and rode it on the street just enough to get to the dirt.

Man, that thing was slow...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #9
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
My vote is for a klx in one form or another.

I too owned a klx250sf and it was s fun bike both on and off road. Compared to the ninjettes the light weight and dirtbike ergos makes for a bike that rides on rails in the turns. Seriously I was laughing my ass off going around turns when I first go it. It handled so well it almost felt like cheating, plus you can take it to the kart track. The suspension is light years ahead of the ninjettes too, so that also helps with handling.

Also the thumper motor has more down low torque than the high reving twin in the ninjettes. Top speed isn't as high though and a long freeway trip is the last thing that I would want to do, but that's the same for every bike in it's category. The upright seating position combined with no wind protection means you'll be taking the full blast of the wind. Also they do have a slight headshake at about 70-75 mph, that seems to be a common problem with all dirtbikes though.

I did some mild off roading and had no problems on street tires either. Gravel roads are certainly no problem but I ride those on my ninja too. Really though you can get through some pretty rough stuff with no problem and you'd be surprised how far you can go with street tires off road. As long as there's not a lot of mud street tires do pretty well. I've crossed a small river that got about a foot deep on street tires no problem.

A pic of my klx

The off road version of the klx is a good bike too. The last dual sport ride that I did had a few people riding the old klx300s and they held their own against the bigger bikes. Really good off road in the knarly stuff even though they are considered overweight and under powered by most.

Plus the klx in any version is a great platform to build on. The 250s are easily converted to 300cc using the factory kit or 350+cc with aftermarket kits. You can buy off road tires for the 17" wheels on the sf, or more street friendly tires for the s model. All in all I think you get a lot of bang for the buck from the klx. The tw200 isn't even in the same category performance wise as the klx, the super sherpa is closer but really only preferred those that are inseam challenged.

The only reason that I sold my klx was because everyone that I was riding with was on bigger bikes and I honestly couldn't keep up with the 400+cc bikes. Even the drz400 is way faster than the klx250. I considered the 351cc kit but when you consider the price combined with an upgrade carb I just decided to spend a little more and get a 450.

I could go on but I'm really tired of typing right now. whew
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 19th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #10
Bigballsofpaint

Good info monkey, thats where im at. I think the SF would do fine for the off roading i plan on doing, but the one i found is an 09 with 11k miles on it for 4k. If it was priced at 3k i would bite, i may even call to see what they can do on price. I saw kendas for under 100 bucks for both front and rear 50/50 tires with some decent reviews.

The S is newer with less miles and cheaper, but i would drive a good amount farther for it, so that all weighs in. Ill find out tomorrow on the loan, i could pay cash but i need to pay off the engagement ring before interest hits.

Old February 19th, 2015, 03:56 PM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
My vote is for a klx in one form or another.
You make me want a klx250 I'm so torn on what my next bike should be down the line. I don't need more power for the street so one of these or an rc390 would be sick...but not for a few more years anyway. My 300 has tons of life left in it

Old February 19th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #12
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
I bought a KLR250 in beautiful condition (never dropped) with 1500 miles on it for $2100. It’ll go 80 mph (level, in a tuck), but 70 is every-day doable.

I like the riding position better that that of the Ninjette and the thumper torque (even from a 250) is charming and it’s fun to ride. I put a hell-for-stout rack and box on the back, which makes it practical for errands.

Lowest gas mileage I’ve gotten is 59 mpg (and that’s riding it like I stole it).

I like it better than the Ninjette (which I’m going to sell this spring), and the baby KLR’s claimed dry weight is 258 lbs.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #13
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
You make me want a klx250 I'm so torn on what my next bike should be down the line. I don't need more power for the street so one of these or an rc390 would be sick...but not for a few more years anyway. My 300 has tons of life left in it
If you wanna go off road get a dual sport or sm. If you're only riding on the streets then maybe the duke 390,?? just to change things up. If I didn't already have a sport bike and a sm I could see myself on the duke. It seems like a great mix of the two styles.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #14
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
If you wanna go off road get a dual sport or sm. If you're only riding on the streets then maybe the duke 390,?. just to change things up. If I didn't already have a sport bike and a sm I could see myself on the duke. It seems like a great mix of the two styles.
Well the way I view it, I really like the rc390 but it doesn't really offer me anything I don't already have unless I sell the 300 and there's no point in doing that to get an rc390 when it's really just the same thing just a good bit better.

I have a casual track day bike, a race bike, and a street bike so the only gap I really have is dirt, though I don't want a bike I can only use offroad for dirt since it would get used a lot less in that case. I'm leaning SM over dual sport though just because I'd still use it more on the streets/track. Likely a 450 or drz400 would be ideal for me rather than a 250 since most of the really fun roads require some highway riding.

Old February 19th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #15
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I always thought a TW would be fun in the snow. I've owned an older XL250R with knobbies, and rode it on the street just enough to get to the dirt.

Man, that thing was slow...
Yeah, the tw200 isn't very fast. But it is still tons of fun. I actually would prefer something not too fast to be honest. Less risk of getting hurt and you can enjoy the sights more

Old February 19th, 2015, 07:31 PM   #16
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I really would like a 250 dual sport supermoto w/ set of dirt rims too. But pretty wife says no more bikes unless I get rid of one of the ones I have.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #17
Bigballsofpaint

Get rid of the wife!

Old February 19th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #18
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
nah, get rid of the f2/f3

4 bikes is a good amount, any amount is good so long as they're getting use

Old February 19th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #19
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
nah, get rid of the f2/f3

4 bikes is a good amount, any amount is good so long as they're getting use
lol the F2/F3 is the only one I don't really feel bad about crashing lol. That doesn't include the 2 XR100s as well. Maybe she has a point.

Old February 19th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #20
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
Get rid of the wife!
nah ..... makes no sense to get rid of my best ride .... lol

Old February 19th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #21
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
lol the F2/F3 is the only one I don't really feel bad about crashing lol. That doesn't include the 2 XR100s as well. Maybe she has a point.
good point, the bikes you don't feel bad about crashing are the ones you get to do stupid **** on

Old February 19th, 2015, 09:00 PM   #22
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I am looking for a KLX250sf (supermoto) cant really find one in the area so far. the drz 400 is nice. yamaha wr250x. klr 250

Old February 19th, 2015, 11:42 PM   #23
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
Good info monkey, thats where im at. I think the SF would do fine for the off roading i plan on doing, but the one i found is an 09 with 11k miles on it for 4k. If it was priced at 3k i would bite, i may even call to see what they can do on price. I saw kendas for under 100 bucks for both front and rear 50/50 tires with some decent reviews.

The S is newer with less miles and cheaper, but i would drive a good amount farther for it, so that all weighs in. Ill find out tomorrow on the loan, i could pay cash but i need to pay off the engagement ring before interest hits.
That's a ridiculous price for the SF. You should be able to pick one up for 3k. I had a deal lined up for that price but scored an xt225 for $1600.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2015, 09:32 AM   #24
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
check out some of these bikes Jay. You probably have seen most of them already but they look decent and in your range

http://nwct.craigslist.org/mcy/4855450877.html
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/4892829316.html

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old February 20th, 2015, 11:14 AM   #25
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
^ that 07 looks badass

Old February 20th, 2015, 11:20 AM   #26
Bigballsofpaint

Thanks for help guys! Looks like im not going to get one though. Some overdue medical bills caused my credit score to drop. They will still give me the loan, but at 11%. Im not that desperate, i have 2 bikes already. I was payign those bills off anyway but they says itll take a few months for my credit score to reflect that. Maybe next year, or maybe my fiance will surprise me for my 30th birthday. Who knows, I could pay cash for the bike, but id rather pay off the engagment ring i bought.

Old February 20th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #27
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Boo

Now your thread has me looking at SM's, what have you done and what can I sell

Old February 20th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #28
Bigballsofpaint

I may revisit my train of thought you never know with me. Since the loan is so small even a higher percentage rate brings me under the monthly payment i wanted anyway. Ill just take care of a few things first and then see.

Old February 20th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #29
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Boo

Now your thread has me looking at SM's, what have you done and what can I sell
yeah no kidding

These threads are bad fore me lol.

Old February 20th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #30
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
So much for looking at SM's found a built MX bike that I would love to have. Need to sell the yz first though, it will be on craigslist in 10 minutes Not so sure anyone will buy it for what I want to get for it but no harm in tryin

Old February 20th, 2015, 01:47 PM   #31
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Thanks for help guys! Looks like im not going to get one though. Some overdue medical bills caused my credit score to drop. They will still give me the loan, but at 11%. Im not that desperate, i have 2 bikes already. I was payign those bills off anyway but they says itll take a few months for my credit score to reflect that. Maybe next year, or maybe my fiance will surprise me for my 30th birthday. Who knows, I could pay cash for the bike, but id rather pay off the engagment ring i bought.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 20th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #32
Bigballsofpaint

No clue what that means old timer

Old February 20th, 2015, 02:19 PM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
No clue what that means old timer
That is Suze Orman, a financial advisor that was popular in the late 90's-2000's. She can put all that complex stuff into words that us common folk can understand. I linked it because you made a responsible choice on how to spend your money. It's hard, people want things ya know, and this time of year... to spend your tax refund on something that pays "indirect" dividends is the tougher of choices to make.

Props brah!

EdIt: Old Timer aye, you just wait....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #34
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
yeah, really could go about any way you want it to

Old February 20th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #35
Bigballsofpaint

Ah i gotcha Chris! Since im getting more than i planned back my only splurge is the exhaust and stuff on the 250, gotta treat myself a little bit.

Old March 3rd, 2015, 08:36 PM   #36
Bigballsofpaint

Since i was originally looking for a dual sport, i just put a deposit down on the obvious choice.

I bought a track bike instead. I just have no one to ride with right now off road, and while i was with my friend (he bought a Ninja 650, selling his 250 now), this puppy was on the lot. They wanted 8k, i haggled down a whole 200 bucks, 7800 plus fees (different state, so i have to pay sales tax and what not here).

I dont think it was a bad deal, i see them going all the time for 9-10. I originally wanted a panigale 899, but couldnt afford one for about 2 years (cheapest i find here is 13k). So i figure i can ride this for a couple years and if i still want the 899, trade this in for it. Win Win!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg white ducati.jpg (141.3 KB, 5 views)

Old March 3rd, 2015, 08:46 PM   #37
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
mmm <3 the 848
the 848, the 899, and the hypermotard are the only ducatis I would consider buying. They're all completely unnecessary but awesome at the same time. That single sided swingarm is going to be a blessing when you change tires at the track.

Old March 3rd, 2015, 09:15 PM   #38
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

I'd say it turned out well. Looking forward to seeing it for the few seconds you're within view at Palmer Congrats

I was facing the same dilemma, wanted to dual sport but have no one to ride with. I'm zeroing in on a CBR F4i for both street and track. Once I find some friends I'll go the dual sport route.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2015, 09:29 PM   #39
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Hmm, I'll race you, I'll be on the KLR. I pick the route

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2015, 09:29 PM   #40
Bigballsofpaint

Honestly this bike wont get much use this year. I will prob track the 250 more than the Duc, id like to become a bit of a better rider and learning these new tracks before stepping up, and id like to get a second set of bodywork and such for the Duc and all that.