ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 15th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

My good deal

Hello Every one,
As many of you know I have a 2003 Sv 650s which I purchased to ride while my wife is riding Ninja 250. I also have a Ducati 999 which I have trouble riding thru town in traffic and at lower speeds since it is a big twin and geared really high. I just bought a 1998 Ducati 748 for $1200 and am presently putting it back together. The Previous Owner (PO) had crashed it (at 20,000 miles) and bought all the parts to repair the bike then stored it outside for about a year, then he stored it in a nice clean/dry garage for another year. I just picked it up on Thursday June 12th and have been working on getting it running again. The PO bought used (slightly scratched) front fairings, mono and biposto rear fairings/seats, mirriors, gauges, new head light lens$$$ and mounting bucket, new upper fairing, matching painted gas tank (yellow) and even 2 brand new Pirelli Diablo Corsa Rosso tires in the correct sizes! I have located nearly every piece and part necessary to complete the rebuild except the little pin which connects the rear fairing below the seat to the hinge. I cannot seem to find the name of this piece (the hinge with the spring is there just not the pins/screws which attach the fairing to hinge) and therefore cannot look it up nor find one on Ebay. Please let me know if you know the name of this piece or even better if you have one you would like to sell too me.

SO far I have replaced the clutch and bled out both of the master cylinders. Bothe the front brakes and clutch are working correctly. I have cleaned the leaves and dirt from the entire bike and stands (he included both front and rear stands) and have drained all the oil and coolant for replacement. I noticed there was a slight oil leak from the front Horizontal cylinder so I am replacing the head gasket tomorrow before any more reassembly. The rear seems to be in good order but the chain will have to be replaced and the rear brake pads replaced. The motor turns over freely (compression is good) and there is spark, but one of the throttle bodies is frozen shut (soaking in PB Blast) so I ordered a replacement set. I will be pulling the front forks next (after head gasket) to replace the oil and possibly do the seals (not leaking). I will be checking the valve clearance while I have the head off (rear will be done also just not removed) and I will be doing a few things while it is apart to assure the bike runs strong. The only issue I had so far is that the fuel pump was frozen, but after a bath in some PB Blast and a good cleaning it has recovered and is making proper pressure! There was a broken quick disconnect for the fuel line under the pump but a new piece is on its way. I will keep posting what I manage to get working and what goes wrong along with pictures starting tomorrow (Monday) and I am hoping to take this bike to the track in july!

Because I have added the 748 to my stable I must now sell the SV 650s. The bike is a 2003 with 23,000 miles approx. She has a full Yosh pipe (Tri Oval) with K&n filter and PC111 USB. I bought the bike about 1 1/2 years ago and totally stripped it down and cleaned and repaired/replaced everything it could need. New Pirelli Angel GT tires, new custom seat covers, new progressive springs and fork oil, new fork seals, new rear sets and GSXR Master cyl and calipers up front with HH pads. new chain and vortex sprockets 15/45, HID head lights, new front and rear turn signals plus carbon fiber under tail and a matching rear wheel hugger/ chain guard. New hand grips and bar ends and im sure there is more I am forgetting. She runs really great and has good power for an SV plus handles perfect! I have a ciean "REBUILT" title in my name and the bike is currently registered and I ride it daily. I will be asking $2500 since there is nothing to be done to this bike for the next 3500 miles except add fuel. I just did the oil change less than 1000 miles ago. Let me know if anyone is interested before I post it on craigs list I will allow it to go to someone here cheaper than to CL!

Stay tuned for the final results of the 748 build my goal is to have a nice daily ride and track bike for 1/2 the cost of just buying a running bike. I have spent $1340 so far and nice running 748s sell for around $4000
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Nice score... Went told attention disaster on the whole rest of the story :/
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 24th, 2014, 05:16 AM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
always liked the duc 750's I really liked the late 749's before they got replaced by the evo.

If I had the cash I'd snatch up an 05 749 just for funnzies

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 05:53 AM   #4
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

Make sure to replace the timing belts when you change the head gasket. If one of the belts break, the piston will hit the valves, destroying the top end. $$$.

$1200 for a 748? You got a great bike for a song.

Love me those desmos, nothing sounds like a Duc. :bow
Desmoluci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Ducati999

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Thanks for the advice on replacing the belts. I have a 999 (hence my screen name) and I am beginning to love these motors! I have heard so much about how hard it is to maintain a Ducati. I have not found this to be true! Yes they require valve checks at 6000 mile intervals but the heads are easily acessable and the job is quite simple. I did the valves on the 999 over the winter and it only cost me $38!

I have so far pulled both heads on the 748 and checked the valves. Almost every other part has been pulled off, cleaned, inspected (and replaced if necessary) and ready to be reinstalled. So far all I have had to purchase is 2 head gaskets ($45 each) a used gas cap (swapped the lock so I could still use my same key $18 Ebay) oil and filter ($47) and a 47mm socket to remove the rear tire/rim ($18). I have spent less than $200 and she should be ready for a trial start up later this week. I still have to replace the oil scraper ring on the horizontal cylinder since I broke it while replacing the jug (my fault). I pulled both cylinders so I could inspect the inside of the motor. Some water go into the engine and I wanted to be sure there was no damage, but it looks like it passed thru to the oil pan and did no serious harm! Lucky for me! I cleaned all the rust and crap from the fuel tank and cleaned and lubed the fuel pump and all is well. I still have to get the new tires mounted (guy included them in the sale) and put her back together and then see if she will start. Wish me luck.

The seller crashed the bike and then parked it for a few years so there may be some issues when she turns over (like the starter may not work) but all I can do is hope for the best and see what happens when I hit the button. I will get some pic up tonight. I have been so busy pulling her apart and cleaning everything there has not been any time to pause and take pictures.

PS. My wife may end up with this bike and I will have to get another one!

Old June 24th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #6
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I guess because I have a newer duc it doesn't seem quite as shade tree mechanic friendly. Popping off the fairings is a million bolt affair. And then when you see how much is packed underneath it's like Italians said, " eh uh ****a you."
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #7
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I'm outing a friend:

Old June 24th, 2014, 10:19 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I say you're blowing smoke. It's all an elaborate cover story.

No pics, no bike!

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 24th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #9
Ducati999

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I'm outing a friend:

I love the look of this bike! 200 hp is wwwaaayyy more than I will ever need but that bike with the tri color graphics looks soo good in person.

Andrew is right. I don't even have a 999 never mind a 748

I will go take pics right now but she is all apart

Old June 24th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Ducati999

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
I guess because I have a newer duc it doesn't seem quite as shade tree mechanic friendly. Popping off the fairings is a million bolt affair. And then when you see how much is packed underneath it's like Italians said, " eh uh ****a you."
I have not worked on the newer Ducatis but I have heard that it takes many, many bolts to get the fairings off. Both of the ones I have just take 4-5 duz fastners to remove each fairing. The rear plastic, seat and tank come off of the 999 with 4 bolts.

Finally some pictures. I just threw the race fairings on (have a full set of nice yellow for the street) so it would look ok. Last pic is down the horizontal cyl. Looks good for 20,000 miles. The rest of the pics are how it looks now all apart.

Last futzed with by Ducati999; June 24th, 2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: pics did not load first try

Old June 24th, 2014, 12:05 PM   #11
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

Oooohh nicceeee..can't wait for the pics.

Old June 24th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #12
Ducati999

Here we go they finally loaded Fresh pic below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05123.jpg (121.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05121.jpg (128.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05124.jpg (167.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05125.jpg (152.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05127.jpg (43.8 KB, 11 views)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 25th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #13
Ducati999

Hoping to get the motor back together tomorrow and will attempt first start on Friday if all goes well. I will post more pics an possible a video of the first start up if I have time.

Old June 25th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old June 25th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #15
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Damn neat! Good luck getting her back in tip top shape

Old June 27th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #16
Ducati999

Just got the horizontal cylinder back together
Today and timmed the cams. Need to get the
Exhaust back on and start on the injection once
The wife heads out with her friends tonite
I am on schedule for test start on sunda

Old June 30th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #17
Ducati999

Just got all the stuff for oil change (oil and filter) plus head lights and a 3/4" to 1/2" adaptor. The nut to take off the rear wheel is 46mm! 46mm is almost 3 inches! The only socket I could find was 3/4" drive. I removed the wheels and will get the new tires (Pirelli Rosso included in sale) installed on Thursday. I have been working on the second set of plastics and tank that came with the bike. The tank has the top pressed down from something falling on it in the sellers garage and if I can get it out I have a complete set of "track" plastics with mono rear. Just need to get some frame sliders. I am also working on getting the fuel pump into the (nice condition) tank and figuring out where all the vent hoses attach and route thru the bike. My wifes camera is charging so I should have more pics tonight!

Old June 30th, 2014, 11:35 AM   #18
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

Here's a little inspiration for ya.

Desmoluci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #19
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

way to go! You go little buddy.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
The nut to take off the rear wheel is 46mm! 46mm is almost 3 inches!
If you round up quite a bit. (It's actually 1.81 inches)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:38 AM   #21
Ducati999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmoluci View Post
Here's a little inspiration for ya.

Thanks for the video! Looks faster than my Sv650.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:41 AM   #22
Ducati999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
If you round up quite a bit. (It's actually 1.81 inches)
Sorry I didn't measure it but it looks bigger than that! The socket is huge. I thought the 35mm socket for the rear axel of the 999 was big until I got this bike.

I am just about to test start the 748. I hope it starts, the bikes are known to have bad relays and certain electrical gremlins and this one has not started in a couple of years! Well back to work.

Old July 7th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #23
Ducati999

Alright after much cleaning and checking everything possible, The bike has started and runs -ok. I am having an issue with a backfire from the front horizontal cylinder. I have cleaned every electrical connection and ground, reset the throttle position sensor, replaced the plugs, reset the cam timing, reset throttle plate opening clearance, adjusted the air bypass screws and the CO trimmer on the ECU, replaced the entire throttle bodies (reused the fuel injectors) and replace the fuel filter, checked fuel pressure and crank sensor but the back fire continues. The person I bought the bike from left it outside (for 2 years) and some water got into the throttle bodies. I soaked the injectors in cleaner and cleaned and blew out the fuel lines. I believe the injectors may be sticking open a little as there seems to be too much fuel which is causing the back fire. I will remove the injectors and try cleaning them again and see if I can get this bike running correctly before I hit the track on July 20-21st. Please reply if you have any ideas on what else I should try/check .

Old July 9th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #24
Ducati999

Update Good news

Today I cleaned the connection between the crank position sensors connectors and checked the gap and the bike is now running peerrrffeecttt!!! I still need to balance the throttle bodies and set the CO trim but she starts, runs, revs and idles (without a single backfire) perfect! I still have a few details to sort out (minor oil leak, loose bracket, bent rearset and replace chain) but I can now get the new tires mounted and try a test ride.

Old July 14th, 2014, 03:34 AM   #25
Ducati999

Got a lot done over the last few days but still not sure if I will be taking her to the track. I am having an issue with the idle still being too high. I believe I need to (again) reset the throttle position sensor. She will not idle below 15-1700 even with the throttle stop screw all the way out. I don't think I have an air leak but cannot completely rule that out yet. This will be a real race to the finish if I am going to take it to the track! Tonight I will try to reset the tps sensor again and see where that leaves me. Really disappointed since she runs and revs great just cant get the idle right.

Old July 14th, 2014, 05:17 AM   #26
adouglas
Cat herder

Hope you make it, bud!

Old July 14th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #27
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Who cares about idle! Its a track day, turn it on, wring its neck, turn it off, repeat 45 min later!!
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2015, 09:13 AM   #28
Ducati999

Bringing back this old thread. A few of you know the story most dont, but I found the Horizontal cylinder had a bent rod. I replaced the rod and piston and got her all back together and running strong. Over the winter I scored an 853cc big bore kit complete (minus the head gaskets) for $200 which I will install later this year. All systems are go and I have ridden the bike around the neighborhood 3 times so far. I will be getting her registered this week and riding it as much as possible before we hit the track on Memorial day. I put up some recent photos but the fairing on the throttle side is sticking out because I have a bigger battery under there than fits in the batt box. I will have a new lithium for the track! She is ugly but cheap and track ready! I will be buying new Chinese plastics for her and my 999 soon. The 748 will be yellow and black with Xerox livery and the 999 red with either Fila or Xerox

The final pic is of an 899 I almost bought when I was planning on selling the 748, really glad I did not sell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 748 1.jpg (73.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 748 2.jpg (78.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 748 top.jpg (55.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 899 R&B.jpg (63.6 KB, 2 views)

Old June 7th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #29
Ducati999

Further developments

I have spent many days trying to get this bike running correctly. When I purchased the bike it had been stored outside without a cover for some time before being moved inside. The motor had filled up with water (not fully) and the throttle was frozen shut! I pulled it apart and got the Throttle position sensor and injectors working but the throttle plate (butterflies) were ruined. Ebay provided another set of throttle bodies but no matter how much I attempted to get the bike running correctly I would get a lean backfire from the horizontal cyl and over rich from the vertical. I had it very close to correct and rideable after replacing the bent connecting rod but there was still a hesitation when rolling back on the throttle and it would not rev out fully.

Enter a second set of Ebay Throttle bodies w/TPS. I changed the injectors on the installed set of throttle bodies but not much better. Then we swapped the throttle position sensor and did a complete reset of the TPS/FI. I was finally able to take the bike for a nice long ride without any real issues. She is still a bit rough but it idles nice and solid and the throttle no longer bogs/hesitates. The bike still has a bit of an issue revving in the upper RPM range but the bottom is smooth and the only problem is a slight surging at constant throttle. I believe a good throttle body synch and some adjusting of the air screws and fuel pot. I still have not spent much over $2000 on this bike at this point so I will continue to try and get it sorted out.

My wife wants me to sell the 748 and just get a new 899 but I still see potential in this bike and I love a challenge! I also have an 853 big bore kit for this bike when I get the motor running correct so I dont want to give up before I get to try the larger CC version as I think it will be fun at the track! I will continue to update this thread until I either give up or get it running correctly. I believe I am really close to having this bike ready to run daily